Author Topic: The Plasma Thread  (Read 101764 times)

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Plasma Thread
« Reply #90 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 10:23 PM »
hey guys looks like we got another convert ;D dont forget to fill us in on your review of the new panny!

Actually I lifted that out of the AVS Forums...Sorry about that :-\
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007 at 10:42 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 10:53 PM »
ah ok, ang ganda pa naman sana nung pana mentioned there ;D i hope sony comes out with a real solution on this problem, mahal pa naman sya, recognizing the problem is the first step in solving it.
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 12:25 AM »
World's first 42" full HD 1920 x 1080 plasma: Panasonic TH-42PZ700U -- $2,499.95! (for June 2007)

Panasonic's new 1080p plasmas priced & dated - now in 42-inch size
Posted Mar 29th 2007 2:50PM by Richard Lawler

http://www.w.engadgethd.com/2007/03/29/panasonics-new-1080p-plasmas-priced-and-dated/

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2007 at 11:24 AM by barrister »

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #93 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 11:54 AM »
World's first 42" full HD 1920 x 1080 plasma: Panasonic TH-42PZ700U -- $2,499.95! (for June 2007)

Panasonic's new 1080p plasmas priced & dated - now in 42-inch size
Posted Mar 29th 2007 2:50PM by Richard Lawler

http://www.w.engadgethd.com/2007/03/29/panasonics-new-1080p-plasmas-priced-and-dated/

Ganda nito, lalo na kung ganyan din price dito.

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Apr 07, 2007 at 10:13 PM »
lets just mirror this post from another thread para may pagusapan tyo ;D

said the above post coz I followed this option, just brought home a 42inch Hitachi Plasma display....42PD9500TA........will post my findings later....

after consultation with close forum mates.....and actual audition, I got the plasma after really bent on getting the Tosh 37WL68E.  Price was not an issue, coz they were priced almost the same at 12month terms.  The size (42 vs 37), and overall PQ...and IMO, I like cable TV viewing in Plasma than in the LCD....but I have to admit, cable TV viewing in HD flat panels doesnt look good.....mas ok pa yung CRT rptv ko na nasira.  But nevertheless, I bought Blu-ray and HD DVD titles, and the Hitachi did shine in that department.   

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Apr 07, 2007 at 10:18 PM »
Considering that sir Munskie has Blu ray and HD-DVD titles, I'm interested to learn why he settled on the plasma, when the latest LCD panels, especially Bravia and Aquos, also perform well on high def sources.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2007 at 10:25 PM by barrister »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Apr 07, 2007 at 10:30 PM »
sabihin na natin pantay PQ nila, esp sa HD source, size became a big factor for me.  given the budget, I have to choose between a larger display and a smaller one.  Medyo nasanay na rin ako sa 43 inch na CRT rptv ko..(equivalent 38-39 inch sa Widescreen?).......So I chose the 42 vs the 37...naliitan ako sa 37inches.

I have to live and take care of image retention........meron ba guys? especially those on gaming?

forgot to mention, meron din pala ako kasabay bumili kanina..member rin.....same model
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2007 at 10:34 PM by Munskie »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #98 on: Apr 07, 2007 at 10:56 PM »
Congrats marvin ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007 at 09:40 PM by ricky »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Apr 08, 2007 at 09:26 AM »
Conrats marvin ;)
thanks ricky.......it was a very hard decision........thanks rin sa mga input..... :)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #100 on: Apr 08, 2007 at 05:22 PM »
Wow Plasma at 42'...congrat Marvin...now you officially belong to the Plasma family  :D

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 02:47 PM »
.......it was a very hard decision........thanks rin sa mga input..... :)

"Looking for LCD, got Plasma instead" ;D  Same personal experience here.

Good buy at PhP104.5K.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2007 at 02:48 PM by jvm »

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 02:58 PM »

I have to live and take care of image retention........meron ba guys? especially those on gaming?

I've been checking this on my PD, but there's none even when watching shows with logos. Not even a hint.

I can't comment when used with games.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 03:24 PM »
im gonna follow the 100 hour break in rule still.....though its good to know it has 2 tools that can be used to prevent image retention, the screensaver, and screen wipe.  :) :)

Offline killer_smile3

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • PS3 & Xbox360 Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 06:57 PM »
I was really intrigued by the fact Marvin settled for Plasma although he owned gaming consoles. The new technology of Toshiba LCD really impressed me with regard to PQ (plasma-like). I guess it's really the size that matters!! :)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 07:43 PM »
im gonna follow the 100 hour break in rule still.....though its good to know it has 2 tools that can be used to prevent image retention, the screensaver, and screen wipe.  :) :) 

Break in is the safe way to go.

Ingat sa screen wipe.  I hear that it should be a last resort.  Sabi nila the screen wipe function operates by burning the entire screen evenly, thus shortening the phosphors' life.  Totoo ba yon?
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2007 at 07:56 PM by barrister »

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 09:09 PM »
i was told by a service advisor before that it should only be used maximum of twice a year

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 09:19 PM »
Break in is the safe way to go.

Ingat sa screen wipe.  I hear that it should be a last resort.  Sabi nila the screen wipe function operates by burning the entire screen evenly, thus shortening the phosphors' life.  Totoo ba yon?
might be...coz its all white.......thanks for the reminder. :)  would only use it for extreme image retention...if that happens at all....

just watched Sin City....its a great demo for plasma displays.  The visual design is full of deep blacks....and therefore shows Plasma's superiority in black level....before that, I watched spiderman.....and because those two have excellent transfers.....and using an upscaling dvd player, I could swear that the PQ I saw with those two titles (some scenes in Spiderman, and most scenes in Sin City) are almost HD-like.  And this coming from an early adopter for the HD format.  I have also used the plasma display for HD, and I could say that HD still trumps SD (especially in detail and texture), but based from what I saw in those two titles, the combination of having a DVD title with excellent clean transfer, an upscaling DVD player, and a decent HDTV will result in PQ that you wouldnt snort at.  ;D ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 09:39 PM »
Congrats, bosing! 

Buti na lang maganda sa standard DVD pag upscaled.  Even HD adopters will not be able to completely avoid SDVD altogether because I'm predicting that there will probably be a substantial number of titles that will never see an HD release.

Sayang, hindi ko kasi nakita ang Hitachi sa upscaled DVD when I was plasma shopping (I'm not yet interested in HD).  Nakita ko yan sa Ansons Makati, ordinary Pioneer DVD player lang ang gamit --- malabo ang picture, nadismaya tuloy ako.

Hindi pala puwede ang 480 SD source sa showroom demo nito.   :(   
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2007 at 09:47 PM by barrister »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 09:57 PM »

Sayang, hindi ko kasi nakita ang Hitachi sa upscaled DVD when I was plasma shopping (I'm not yet interested in HD).  Nakita ko yan sa Ansons Makati, ordinary Pioneer DVD player lang ang gamit --- malabo ang picture, nadismaya tuloy ako.

Hindi pala puwede ang 480 SD source sa showroom demo nito.   :(   
thanks. youre right with your observation sa demo na 480 SD source. I connected it first to my Philips 642k player thru component....it doesnt look good,  it was flat and mukhang me jaggies..........

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 10:38 AM »
sample screenshot...

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 07:51 PM »
Ganda!

Mahirap kunan ng picture ang plasma.  I'm sure that the actual image looks even better in person.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007 at 11:18 PM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 10:47 PM »
Very clear pic. Hope to see some sample HD shots  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007 at 10:48 PM by pchin »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 12:16 PM »
Plasma TV sales not doing so good
Posted Apr 11th 2007 8:49AM by Matt Burns

Ah, the plasma TV. Remember way back a few years ago, everyone used to hate on plasmas so much. Screen-burn this, fragile screen that - rubbish these days but back then, they had some truth. Looks like all the bad talk finally caught up to the technology though as they just aren't selling like it was 2006. Plasma TV sales dropped nearly 16 percent from last February to this year. That works out to be $35 million less generated by plasma TV sales. Its kind of obvious why isn't it. LCDs. They're perceived as a better, more reliable technology and in some cases, are cheaper. Plus, every must have 1080p these days and you can only get a 1080p plasma if it has a large price tag attached. Which screen would we get? Most around the Engadget office would ultimately opt for a plasma for the better picture but an LCD would be considered too.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/04/11/plasma-tv-sales-not-doing-so-good/

Plasma HD Sales: Not a Pretty Picture
Makers of the flat-panel set are hurt by falling prices.
By Phillip Swann

http://www.tvpredictions.com/plasma041107.htm
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2007 at 12:16 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 03:06 PM »
LG faces pressure to can its plasma TV business
Posted on : Apr.10,2007 15:06 KST  Modified on : Apr.11,2007 14:46 KST 

... LG Electronics is under pressure to decide whether to halt its Plasma Display Panel (PDP) TV production, which is currently suffering from chronic deficit. Some experts have raised the prospect that LG will either sell the PDP business to another company or carry out restructuring. ...

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_business/202050.html

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 05:55 PM »
Geez...plasma is under heavy heat... :-X

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 07:38 PM »
It's only the plasma revenue in dollar sales that went down, due to falling prices.  Unit plasma sales are still good, which in fact increased by 30%.

The tvpredictions.com article stated:

"Despite the decline in overall revenues, NPD says sales of Plasma units jumped 30 percent, with the 42-inch category leading the way."

Overall, plasma still leads flat panel sales in the 40"+ size category.

=========================================

On another note, Philips announced that it will retain its plasma line only for North America and Australia, but will phase out its plasmas for the rest of the world.  On the other hand, LG is thinking about entirely closing its plasma lines due to heavy losses.

OK lang, parang lechong manok lang yan.  Nung una, hit na hit ang lechong manok, sobrang dami ang pumasok sa ganung business.  After some years, they closed shop one by one, leaving only Andok's Lechong Manok to rule the market.

Similarly, other plasma makers will fall by the wayside, leaving only Panasonic, Pioneer and Hitachi. 
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007 at 11:20 AM by barrister »

Offline [r]ichkri3g

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Blu Boy
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2007 at 05:17 PM »
Pioneer Project Kuro Plasmas Unveiled
The next-generation, SED-killing plasma technology dated, priced.

May 9, 2007 - Enthusiastic readers will no doubt recall IGN's enthusiasm for Pioneer's next-gen plasma technology we saw at CES last January (report). Hyped as an "SED-Killer" by Pioneer, the new 8th-generation plasma technology was shockingly impressive, all the more so because we were told it would be coming to market this year. Details have been scarce since the CES unveiling, but today Pioneer has officially announced pricing and dates for this new line of plasmas, which are likely going to be the highest performing displays available to consumers when they launch.

The key feature of the new displays are their ability to produce black levels 80% greater than Pioneer's previous models. The resulting 20,000:1 contrast ratio is a dramatic leap forwards for plasma technology that puts even the as yet unreleased 15,000:1 LED-backlit LCDs to shame. Code named Project Kuro (Japanese for black), the first of the new line of plasmas will premier in June and will be sporting 720p-ish XGA and WXGA resolutions. Specifically, the 42-inch Pioneer PDP-4280HD will rock 1024x768 for $2,700, and the 50-inch Pioneer PDP-5080HD will sport 1280x720 for $3,500.

In July, Elite branded models will launch, including the 42-inch PRO-950HD (1024x768) at $3,200, and the 50-inch PRO-1150HD (1280x720) at $4,500.

1080p aficionados will have to wait until September for the new 8th generation technology. Models will include two Pioneer displays at 50 and 60-inches (PDP-5010FD-$5,000, PDP-6010FD-$6,500) and two Elite models in the same size range (PRO-110FD-$6,000, PRO-150FD-$7,500).

Pioneer's European website broke the news early and offered some official explanation of the advances in technology these new displays will be sporting. "Our engineering goal was to create video signal processing without error, noise or compromise. What you will see in our new line up is pure and original - just as the director intended…The deep blacks and vivid colours are the result of our new deep encased cell structure, crystal emissive layer and first surface colour filter."

source: IGN.com

The Pioneer-branded XGA and WXGA sets will be available in June:
Pioneer 42" XGA PDP-4280HD - $2,700
Pioneer 50" WXGA PDP-5080HD - $3,500

The Elite-branded XGA and WXGA sets will be available in July:
Elite 42" XGA PRO-950HD - $3,200
Elite 50" WXGA PRO-1150HD - $4,500

All 1080p sets will be available in September:
Pioneer 50" PDP-5010FD - $5,000
Pioneer 60" PDP-6010FD - $6,500
Elite 50" PRO-110FD - $6,000
Elite 60" PRO-150FD - $7,500
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007 at 05:56 PM by [r]ichkri3g »

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2007 at 09:42 AM »
I just returned my Hitachi plasma, due to very bad customer service. 

I used to own the 42PD8500TA. After 2 months of use, bumuka yong frame sa may lower middle portion ng frame. After 1 week of stressful transaction with Hitachi they replaced it. (I called them everyday for an update because they do not call back to do so)  Pero ganon pa rin may buka pa rin yong 2nd replacement. Sabi ng technician, ganon yata yong model na yon pag naka table mount, yong wall mounted daw wala naman. Dahil maliit pa lang buka ng replacement, sabi ko bibili na lang ako ng A/V rack na may mount. The cheapest rack that I found was at 10K. It made me realize that, why should I spend for a rack just to compensate for a defective unit. So I decided to call them again, and told them I don't want that model anymore, and I wanted it replaced with either the 9800 or 9500. I makes more sense to spend some more for an upgrade rather than to cover up the defect.

I was directly talking with the one in-charge of their sales, because their Customer Service sucks. He said that it will be better to have the replacement through Hitachi directly to shorten the transaction, because if it will be through the store, it will take so long. But they wanted me to have another 8500, because they have one stock still. They don't want to replace it with another model. But I firmly said no, because I don't want to go through the same ordeal for the third time. So the sales guy again asked me to wait while he asked for approval from their president. But it has been more than a week and they can't even decide if they'll replace it with a different model or not. If I don't call them, they don't even call back to give an update. I really felt they just wanted to get rid of their last stock, that's why they did not want me to upgrade.

So I decided to just course it through the store. And the store agreed. It was easier than talking with Hitachi. Hitachi just made it more difficult even if they wanted to do a faster transaction.

I made the replacement transaction with the store and opted to have the 9500 as replacement. It was even cheaper than what I had the 8500 for, because they just had some price reduction. The promodizer even said that it comes with a new rack, better than the sigma rack. The replacement date was set last Saturday, May12.

On May 11, Friday, I dropped by at the store just to confirm the replacement. On my way to the store, the sales guy called me and informed me that they already agreed to replace my unit with the 9500. It took them two weeks to decide. But I'll I have to add 15K. What?! I told him that it was cheaper at the store, I'll even have some change after the replacement. I asked if he meant it for the 9800.  He said he'll clarify. But if I had not texted him, he did not get back to me about the clarification. He just replied to my text saying that I'll just proceed with the store transaction.

Last Saturday, replacement day, one hour before the set time, I recieved a text message from the promodizer telling me that I have to return the rack too. He said it was just a new memo received that day, that the 9500 does not come with a free rack anymore. I protested because when I bought the unit the free item was in effect and even during the agreement for the replacement was settled the free rack was still in effect. But even after talking with the guy in charge of sales, they didn't want to give consideration. So I decided to just return it.

What a customer service they have? It was really an ordeal dealing with them. It made me realize the importance of customer service.

I'm on my quest again for a flat panel display.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007 at 09:45 AM by jvm »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2007 at 11:00 AM »
I just returned my Hitachi plasma, due to very bad customer service. 

I used to own the 42PD8500TA. After 2 months of use, bumuka yong frame sa may lower middle portion ng frame. After 1 week of stressful transaction with Hitachi they replaced it. (I called them everyday for an update because they do not call back to do so)  Pero ganon pa rin may buka pa rin yong 2nd replacement. Sabi ng technician, ganon yata yong model na yon pag naka table mount, yong wall mounted daw wala naman. Dahil maliit pa lang buka ng replacement, sabi ko bibili na lang ako ng A/V rack na may mount. The cheapest rack that I found was at 10K. It made me realize that, why should I spend for a rack just to compensate for a defective unit. So I decided to call them again, and told them I don't want that model anymore, and I wanted it replaced with either the 9800 or 9500. I makes more sense to spend some more for an upgrade rather than to cover up the defect.

I was directly talking with the one in-charge of their sales, because their Customer Service sucks. He said that it will be better to have the replacement through Hitachi directly to shorten the transaction, because if it will be through the store, it will take so long. But they wanted me to have another 8500, because they have one stock still. They don't want to replace it with another model. But I firmly said no, because I don't want to go through the same ordeal for the third time. So the sales guy again asked me to wait while he asked for approval from their president. But it has been more than a week and they can't even decide if they'll replace it with a different model or not. If I don't call them, they don't even call back to give an update. I really felt they just wanted to get rid of their last stock, that's why they did not want me to upgrade.

So I decided to just course it through the store. And the store agreed. It was easier than talking with Hitachi. Hitachi just made it more difficult even if they wanted to do a faster transaction.

I made the replacement transaction with the store and opted to have the 9500 as replacement. It was even cheaper than what I had the 8500 for, because they just had some price reduction. The promodizer even said that it comes with a new rack, better than the sigma rack. The replacement date was set last Saturday, May12.

On May 11, Friday, I dropped by at the store just to confirm the replacement. On my way to the store, the sales guy called me and informed me that they already agreed to replace my unit with the 9500. It took them two weeks to decide. But I'll I have to add 15K. What?! I told him that it was cheaper at the store, I'll even have some change after the replacement. I asked if he meant it for the 9800.  He said he'll clarify. But if I had not texted him, he did not get back to me about the clarification. He just replied to my text saying that I'll just proceed with the store transaction.

Last Saturday, replacement day, one hour before the set time, I recieved a text message from the promodizer telling me that I have to return the rack too. He said it was just a new memo received that day, that the 9500 does not come with a free rack anymore. I protested because when I bought the unit the free item was in effect and even during the agreement for the replacement was settled the free rack was still in effect. But even after talking with the guy in charge of sales, they didn't want to give consideration. So I decided to just return it.

What a customer service they have? It was really an ordeal dealing with them. It made me realize the importance of customer service.

I'm on my quest again for a flat panel display.
sad to hear your story bro......good luck on your new quest......