Author Topic: LCD TV and Cable Signal  (Read 3296 times)

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
LCD TV and Cable Signal
« on: Mar 12, 2007 at 08:33 PM »
Just want to get a short survey here.  It might help future buyers of LCD. 

1) How was your cable reception with the LCD?  Was it better, same, or worse than your old CRT TV? 
2) brand/model of LCD
3) cable provider
4) how many TV connected to your cable

The reason for this is because I recently got the samsung LA32N71 and was disappointed when I connected the cable (skycable gold).  Some channels were grainy but still watchable, but others are really bad (previously ok with the CRT).  I know that I shouldn't expect good picture from an analogue source, but I didn't expect that some (should I say most channels) are unwatchable.  Quality is comparable to watching TV attached to aerial antenna.  To bad, they don't show us quality of cable reception at the showroom/stores

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: LCD TV and Cable Signal
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 08:37 PM »
sorry, my same topic na pala na napost si voj

Offline tidus1203

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2007 at 10:47 AM »
Just want to get a short survey here.  It might help future buyers of LCD. 

1) How was your cable reception with the LCD?  Was it better, same, or worse than your old CRT TV? 
2) brand/model of LCD
3) cable provider

The reason for this is because I recently got the samsung LA32N71 and was disappointed when I connected the cable (skycable gold).  Some channels were grainy but still watchable, but others are really bad (previously ok with the CRT).  I know that I shouldn't expect good picture from an analogue source, but I didn't expect that some (should I say most channels) are unwatchable.  Quality is comparable to watching TV attached to aerial antenna.  To bad, they don't show us quality of cable reception at the showroom/stores

1.  Its just the same with my old CRT TV (which was a 90's Sony Trinitron)
2.  Toshiba Regza 32W66E
3.  Skycable Gold
4.  Just this one

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2007 at 12:11 PM »
I think the threads should be merged but we should follow the format given by R1DVD.

1.  Cable reception was ok with my LCD... reception itself was the same if not better than the old CRT TV.  The only difference was there are some channels that are pixelated and then there are channels that are perfect.  Hence, the problem is with the source and not the TV.  Just make sure you set it up properly manually changing the sound system from I to M.  I initially used auto programming for my 32R71 and none of the channels were viewable then when I changed the system, a lot of the channels turned out great.  The color is definitely better than the old CRT.  (probably have more to with being old than anything else.)

2.  Samsung LA32R71B

3.  Sky Cable

4.  3 other TVs connected. 

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2007 at 12:22 PM »
I think the threads should be merged but we should follow the format given by R1DVD.

1.  Cable reception was ok with my LCD... reception itself was the same if not better than the old CRT TV.  The only difference was there are some channels that are pixelated and then there are channels that are perfect.  Hence, the problem is with the source and not the TV.  Just make sure you set it up properly manually changing the sound system from I to M.  I initially used auto programming for my 32R71 and none of the channels were viewable then when I changed the system, a lot of the channels turned out great.  The color is definitely better than the old CRT.  (probably have more to with being old than anything else.)

2.  Samsung LA32R71B

3.  Sky Cable

4.  3 other TVs connected. 

I also used auto-programming initially and the pictures were bad and audio is absent.  I repeated the programming and used "america" as my area, after that better na yung picture at may na audio na.  I confirmed with samsung technician that we should select "america".  Pero even after manual fine tuning by the technician, a lot of channnels (the nice ones) are unwatchable).  I was told grounded daw ang cable namin, thus the poor reception.  Anyway, I'll have it checked by my electrician kung grounded nga, pero I doubt because with CRT, ok naman ang signal (not that great, but definitely watchable)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2007 at 02:21 PM »
just wondering ... have you taken "viewing distance" into consideration? cause it might seem bad up close... but when you move 5-6 feet away, you'll see the marked difference. LCD TVs really do bring out the worst in analogue cable reception... but it's a lot more bearable when viewed at the recommended viewing distance. :)

oh... and to answer your question.

1. yes... it's pretty much the same as our old CRT TV (an old samsung 21") ... it actually looks better on a few of the channels. (i.e. MTV)

2. philips 32PF7321

3. skycable

4. 2 TVs on one incoming line. (split by sky themselves outside the house.)
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2007 at 02:25 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2007 at 06:28 PM »
just wondering ... have you taken "viewing distance" into consideration? cause it might seem bad up close... but when you move 5-6 feet away, you'll see the marked difference. LCD TVs really do bring out the worst in analogue cable reception... but it's a lot more bearable when viewed at the recommended viewing distance. :)

oh... and to answer your question.

1. yes... it's pretty much the same as our old CRT TV (an old samsung 21") ... it actually looks better on a few of the channels. (i.e. MTV)

2. philips 32PF7321

3. skycable

4. 2 TVs on one incoming line. (split by sky themselves outside the house.)

yes, I've taken that into consideration.  Viewing distance is 10-12 ft.  This morning I transferred the LCD to the family room where my 29" sony CRT is connected.  Reception with the CRT is good, but when I connected the LCD, pictures are grainy and again, some channels are unwatchable,

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2007 at 07:25 PM »
yes, I've taken that into consideration.  Viewing distance is 10-12 ft.  This morning I transferred the LCD to the family room where my 29" sony CRT is connected.  Reception with the CRT is good, but when I connected the LCD, pictures are grainy and again, some channels are unwatchable,

:( :( since you just bought the tv, maybe you could ask the store to swap it with another tv. i'd do that if i ain't happy with what i just bought.

if swapping it is not an option and you really want it to work though, maybe a cable signal amplifier (mentioned in one of the threads) would work.

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2007 at 12:20 PM »
Just an update.  I had an electrician check out what the problem is with my cable.  It turned out grounded daw.  Anyway, they were able to fix the problem and now, cable reception is as clear as my CRT (or parang clearer pa nga especially if you're watching from 8 feet away.  I couldn't be happier.  I thought pangit ang tuner ng Samsung, I was wrong.

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2007 at 01:17 PM »
good to hear that, enjoy your set!
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 10:21 AM »
excellent news!!! congrats!  8) 8)

just curious, so how did the electrician test for a grounded cable signal?  ???

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 11:27 AM »
excellent news!!! congrats!  8) 8)

just curious, so how did the electrician test for a grounded cable signal?  ???

Not really sure.  KInabitan lang niya ng tester at tiningnan yung palo ng needle and then may kinalikot siya.  After a while ok na.  Sorry, I can't give much detail at di ko rin naintindihan, pero super happy na ako sa LCD reception ko. 

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 04:27 PM »
Anybody using sky cable platinum on their LCD sets?  Is there a big improvement over the normal Sky cable package?

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2007 at 07:23 PM »
Just a tip - Activate the Noise Reduction (NR) of your Samsung LCD TV when watching cable TV. You'll find it more enjoyable to watch when it is ON. In contrary, deactivate the NR when you watch DVD considering that the video signals are already excellent.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007 at 07:26 PM by LETOR »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2007 at 09:19 PM »
this is good news. i already put off buying an lcd tv because of my fear that cable tv signal might be bad.

maybe you guys got the high end models? <- or does this not matter?

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Self Made Young Millionaire
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2007 at 10:56 AM »
For me, using my HDTV reception became worse than my CRT. tho im not sure if im just using a cheap arse cable for it.

2) brand/model of LCD
32" Samsung LCD TV S71

3) cable provider
Sky cable

3 tv's. 2 CRT and 1 HDTV

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2007 at 08:09 PM »
fait

do you have a cable signal booster in your line? if not, i suggest you get a good one (some cheapos dont actually do any good = waste of money) and it will improve your reception for sure.
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2007 at 08:34 PM »
fait

do you have a cable signal booster in your line? if not, i suggest you get a good one (some cheapos dont actually do any good = waste of money) and it will improve your reception for sure.
Where can i get one and how do you use this?

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2007 at 09:51 PM »
Where can i get one and how do you use this?

I got one from Electronics Depot (Basement of Robinsons Galleria, East Wing).  It has 1 input, 4 output, 100db gain.

Please read through this thread.

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2007 at 10:54 PM »
I got one from Electronics Depot (Basement of Robinsons Galleria, East Wing).  It has 1 input, 4 output, 100db gain.

Please read through this thread.
Thanks again sir. :)