Author Topic: TV Talk Shows  (Read 11936 times)

Offline qwerty765

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re:TV Talk Shows
« Reply #30 on: Sep 22, 2002 at 07:00 PM »

I like Conan, Jay Leno and David Letterman...in no particular order...sayang they used to show Jay's and Conan's show everynight here via CNBC, ngayon twice a week na lang, replay pa yung Sunday...

Where are you at qwerty? What's your cable provider? Do you still get to watch them? What time? I think I may be missing something, sayang!!!

OOOPS! wala na ba sa CNBC? I haven't watch na for a while (nasa gimikan pag Saturday) but as far as I know, they are still shown on CNBC (ch. 35 on Destiny) every Saturday, not sure about the time, maybe around 10:30, magkasunod yung Jay Leno then Conan...also, if I'm not mistaken, CNBC airs the replay on Sundays...hmmm, check ko nga uli mamya

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #31 on: Sep 22, 2002 at 08:50 PM »
OOOPS! wala na ba sa CNBC? I haven't watch na for a while (nasa gimikan pag Saturday) but as far as I know, they are still shown on CNBC (ch. 35 on Destiny) every Saturday, not sure about the time, maybe around 10:30, magkasunod yung Jay Leno then Conan...also, if I'm not mistaken, CNBC airs the replay on Sundays...hmmm, check ko nga uli mamya

You're not mistaken. They still show it on CNBC, 10pm-12mn/1am-3am Saturdays and Sundays.

I think the problem is for SkyCable subscribers, since they no longer get CNBC, and Channel 11 also lost their rights to show CNBC programming.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline qwerty765

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #32 on: Sep 22, 2002 at 10:11 PM »
Yeah, I tuned in to CNBC just to check  out if the Tonight Show is still on, unfortunately kasabay nya yung tungkol sa pyramids sa Nat Geo, so doon muna ako sa pyramids.

Is that true, CNBC is no longer on Sky/Home cable? Buti na lang I switched to Destiny!

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #33 on: Sep 22, 2002 at 11:23 PM »
Whatever happened nga pala sa sidekick ni Conan? I like them both when they are doing the "In the year 2000" segment sa show, particularly with David Duchovny as guest, very funny.

Andy has his own show now but he drops by from time to time. Sometimes, they do the "In the year 2000" when he's there. They do the segment with other guests now but it ain't the same without Andy.

I'm watching the 11-12 Sunday Conan now. Al Franken's the guest and Jason Lee later. This one was broadcast at 2-3 this morning.

Offline j@y

• DVD Addict
  • ThuG LuviN'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 02:02 PM »
My favorite talk show is David Letterman and Conan O'Brian. I'm able to watch conan on cnbc and did you know a the 2-3am replay early this morning his guest was the "Meadow"(sorry forgot her name) from The Sopranos.
 Also I'm so glad David Letterman won the award in a Variety, Music or Comedy Series. ;D ;D
LG Infinia 55LW5600 55" LED 3D
Onkyo TX-SR606
Sony SS-F7000
Sub - PA-120W 500w
Sony PS3

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 02:41 PM »
Yeah, I tuned in to CNBC just to check  out if the Tonight Show is still on, unfortunately kasabay nya yung tungkol sa pyramids sa Nat Geo, so doon muna ako sa pyramids.

Hehe. Pareho kayo ng nanay ko. I missed the West Wing season premiere tuloy.

Anyhoo, I preferred Conan in the old days, though I still love him now. Does anyone remember the 1997-ish shows, when he had The World's Biggest Karaoke Machine? Almost died laughing when Jacky Chan came on and sang. The background was all yellow sunflowers and stuff pa naman.

Letterman rocks. My favorite segment ever was when Dave presented discount LPs, and they found one of Imelda Papin's - the one where she recorded a duet with Imelda Marcos. Feelings yata. Mockery ensued - climaxing with Dave saying "I finally figured out why she was kicked out of the country."

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 02:51 PM »
Quote from: Holly Golightly link=board=1;threadid=6442;start=20#96184 date=1032763284
[/quote
Letterman rocks. My favorite segment ever was when Dave presented discount LPs, and they found one of Imelda Papin's - the one where she recorded a duet with Imelda Marcos. Feelings yata. Mockery ensued - climaxing with Dave saying "I finally figured out why she was kicked out of the country."

hahahaha! or that time they found a clip of some pilitician (john ashcroft ba?) singing some stupid song that sort of went "when the eagles soar...". letterman kept making fun of that for a week.

i also find his mission to guest on oprah endearing. i really hope she gives in na.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 02:58 PM »
Tell me about that Oprah and Letterman nga...got to watch him (Letterman) lang when he began his Oprah log, middle of the logbook na.

Uh-oh....something is wrong with my post. Is it me or is something the matter with the forum?
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2002 at 03:00 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 06:42 PM »
Letterman just gave up one day with the Oprah campaign.  :(
It was sudden and unexpected. I think by that time the whole thingy had run for a few months. Sayang... we still had so much hope. Maybe he knew something we didn't?

Oh yeah, CrUzSACK, something IS weird with your post. maybe a misplaced tag, perhaps?

??? :o and this one, too.  :o What the!? ???
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2002 at 06:43 PM by Dan »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 10:28 PM »
it's LENO trying to sabotage the Letterman-Conan Lovefest! aarrrgghh!

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 11:13 PM »
 :o This looks like a job for... The Masturbating Bear!!! :o

...And his sidekick, Triumph -- The Insult Comic Dog! :o

;DWith Paul Schaeffer and the CBS Orchestra!!! ;D

Save us, oh wacky ones, from the Jaywalking gremlins...

...we await your splendifirous light of salvation...
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2002 at 11:17 PM by Dan »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 04:33 PM »
Do guys (as in male members of this forum) watch OPRAH and get weepy too?  ;D I was watching Oprah last night,  their 9/11 Mother's Day episode. The first segment, iyak na ako agad.  ::)  ::) ;D Don't know if I should post it here or in another thread....But i'll go ahead anyway... ;D

They featured this story about an 8 (ata) year old boy who lost his mother on 9/11.  Their family waited for 10 days for news and the boy was told "Mommy is missing" or lost or something like that. After day 10, the family accepted that she was gone and Daddy had to break the news to the little boy.  They caught it on camera and the father and son conversation was heart-breaking! :'(

It went something like this:

Daddy: I have something to tell you, sir (He calls his son sir or mister)...and then he says, "Remember we told you Mommy is missing....." and so on. And the little boy was parang playing ata, walang paki (like most children when you want to "get serious" with them) and then the little boy blurted out;

Boy: Oh daddy! There's this street you go to when you're lost in New York! Did they find Mommy there? (Parang ganun yung sinabi) Is Mommy coming home?

Daddy:  Nope, sir (or mister). Mommy's not coming home. Mommy...is dead.

You know what the boy did? He paused (parang processing what his dad just told him) and hugged his daddy (Daddy was sitting on the steps, boy was standing in front of Daddy) and burst into tears and said "I don't want her to die!!"

Then they cut that scene and segued to Oprah (who parang had a ball of yarn caught in her mouth, she was in tears rin, anybody who saw that would be in tears!)  I was alone watching that show, If anybody walked in the room and saw me, they'd probably think I had a major LQ or something :P! Of course, I was also crying (out loud pa, bigay na bigay!);D

And then Oprah said that that film or video will be produced by (who else?) HBO and it's entitled Telling Nathan (ata, couldn't remember the name of the boy!). Basta it's Telling <boy's name here>...

This is the reason why I haven't watched Oprah in so long! Too much drama... >:( After watching that segement,  I decided to switch to watching The Godfather on DVD instead.  :-\ The hubby don't like watching Oprah too. He thinks she's too self-absorbed. So do you guys watch Oprah?
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2002 at 04:45 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Bruce_Wayne

• DVD Addict
  • any problem???
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 05:04 PM »
Just by reading CrUzSACK's post made me cry na  :'(   what more kung napanood ko yun.   Kaya nga di ako nanonood ng ganyan eh.   Parang Maawa-awa Ka Kaya ng Channel 2   :P
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2002 at 05:15 PM by Bruce_Wayne »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 07:11 PM »
And then Oprah said that that film or video will be produced by (who else?) HBO and it's entitled Telling Nathan (ata, couldn't remember the name of the boy!). Basta it's Telling <boy's name here>...

This is the reason why I haven't watched Oprah in so long! Too much drama... >:( After watching that segement,  I decided to switch to watching The Godfather on DVD instead.  :-\ The hubby don't like watching Oprah too. He thinks she's too self-absorbed. So do you guys watch Oprah?

Nope *sob* I don't watch Oprah *sob* *sob*  :-[

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Sep 26, 2002 at 06:16 PM »
Everything about Conan has already been said, but just in case Conan himself reads this thread, he'd know I'm a fan of his show.  ;D

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 29, 2002 at 03:46 AM »
did anyone catch the post-emmy shows of letterman? it was a pretty solid week of great writing, guests (bruce willis, reese witherspoon, and jack hannah were hoots!), and pure letterman magic. i've never laughed this consistently watching him for an entire week.

his potshot of the week: oprah's dr. phil. ;D

"Last night they gave us an emmy for being the greatest show ever."

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Sep 29, 2002 at 04:01 PM »
did anyone catch the post-emmy shows of letterman? it was a pretty solid week of great writing, guests (bruce willis, reese witherspoon, and jack hannah were hoots!), and pure letterman magic. i've never laughed this consistently watching him for an entire week.

his potshot of the week: oprah's dr. phil. ;D

"Last night they gave us an emmy for being the greatest show ever."

Yup, I totally agree with you. David's been on the top of his game and his show is way better than Jay Leno's. NBC just knows how to promote better than CBS.

My favorite Dr. Phil quote so far:

Sometimes it's really hard to see yourself without a mirror.

BTW, for Jon Stewart fans, I think CNN just began airing a global edition of The DailyShow last night. Hope it turns out to be a weekly thing  ;D

Kate Hudson was on the show promoting Four Feathers...

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Sep 29, 2002 at 10:41 PM »
when and what time??? :o

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 29, 2002 at 11:26 PM »
when and what time??? :o

I'm not sure. I just caught the last 15 minutes while flipping thru the channels. Maybe 10 pm, Manila time. CNN International has yet to update their skeds online.

At the end of last night's episode, it was mentioned that the global edition of the Daily Show is exclusively being produced by Comedy Central for CNN International.

I guess CNN finally noticed that CNBC Asia was airing Jay Leno and Conan O' Brien on weekends.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2002 at 11:27 PM by dobler »

Offline USP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a wallaby...
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 08, 2002 at 10:07 PM »
did anyone catch the post-emmy shows of letterman? it was a pretty solid week of great writing, guests (bruce willis, reese witherspoon,....

Have any of you watched Reese Witherspoon in the 1991 film Man In The Moon or Wildflower (also 1991 I think).  Man, she showed great talent even at a young age.  

Too bad she doesn't get roles where she can show it off.  Election (with Mathew Broderick) was OK though.

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 16, 2002 at 05:43 AM »
Jon Stewart!  Jon Stewart!  Jon Stewart!

i love the theme song of that show.
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #51 on: Nov 10, 2002 at 09:13 PM »
Anybody else notice there hasn't been Leno and Conan these past two weekends? Any word on this? Were they just pre-empted(they've been showing golf at the talk show time slots) or are they gone for good? ??? >:(

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 10, 2002 at 11:29 PM »
Hopefully, they've just been bumped for a few weeks in favor of the celebrity golf tourney.

Else, kahit si Conan na lang ang ibalik. Or Dilbert, at least.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #53 on: Nov 11, 2002 at 01:35 AM »
Anybody else notice there hasn't been Leno and Conan these past two weekends? Were they just pre-empted
or are they gone for good? ??? >:(

Not that I've been watching either of them recently, but checking the CNBC Asia Program Schedule, they seem to be GONE FOR GOOD.

Wow... now Destiny subscribers have lost even more programming...  :-[
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 11, 2002 at 09:39 PM »
LENO i can live without. but CONAN?? gone?? what the hell's going on in TV land?? is this my karma for something i did in the past?? lord stop punishing this lowly couch potato! :'(

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 12, 2002 at 07:36 PM »
Gone were the days where it's Leno and Conan every night, something to look forward to esp. whenever your day sucked.  What a good way to end the day with the Late Night show. :)

And, Leno really isn't that bad before.  He just seems to get lamer and lamer in time.  I saw a recent episode where he's interviewing a comedian, and not one trace of delight in his face amidst all those jokes.  I'd even go so far as think that he's bitter because he couldn't conjure such antics no more.  Old age, perhaps?

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Feb 11, 2003 at 05:05 PM »
Conan I like. A worthy replacement to Dave.  He's earned it through the years after a rocky start. No one can beat Triumph the Insuld Comic Dog.  Not even Eminem.

Jimmy Kimmel - an avowed Dave-worshiper.  He now has his own show Jimmy Kimmel Live! on ABC competing against Dave and Leno (altho 30 mins late).  Just before his first show, he goes to Dave's show to hawk it.  

Jon Stewart - the only other talk show host that can make you laugh out loud it wakes up the wifey.  CNN has a Global Edition of the Daily Show 12.30 am Sunday and Monday.  Probably the funniest half-hour on television.

But Dave.  Dave I love. Dave is without parallel.  Pound for pound, he's worth his weight in gold.  Plus, he has the strength of ten men!

Without a doubt the sharpest, edgiest, most innovative late night talk show ever.  

Will it float?  How many guys in a bear suit can you fit in a coffee shop?  Fun with Rupert, a head set and a camera!  The Oprah Log!  Dr. Phil's Words of Wisdom! Pat and Kenny Read Oprah Transcripts! And just last week,  The Late Show Iraqi of the Night!

And who does this to Kate Hudson?

It's a ful-service show! Truly, there is no 'off' position on the genius switch.

Sure Leno trounces him on the ratings on a regular basis.  But that's because people watch Leno to help them fall asleep.  Anyways, who needs ratings when ya got six emmys (five of them all in a row the past five years)?

Dave.  The First Name in Late Night Entertainment.

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2003 at 05:15 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Feb 12, 2003 at 09:49 AM »
Letterman Rules! Lately, I've been looking forward to his Dr. Phil segment. ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Feb 14, 2003 at 03:00 PM »
Hey CrUzSACK, guys:

Rumor has it Dr. Phil will be on the Late Show Monday, February 17 to, umm, exorcize Dave's demons.

This I gotta see!

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Feb 14, 2003 at 11:35 PM »
Letterman Rules!

Definitely !!!  The best one was when he had Madonna a few years back. I wished I had the vcr taping. That was just hilarious.  ;D  ;D