Author Topic: TV Talk Shows  (Read 11933 times)

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:TV Talk Shows
« Reply #60 on: Feb 15, 2003 at 04:52 AM »
loved the drew barrymore episode too!
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 11:53 AM »
Did you hear about that guy from Parañaque who almost made Dave sprain his tongue saying the word "Parañaque?"

Yep, folks.  The Valentine's Day episode of the Late Show featured an email from "Roneil Marcelo of Parañaque City, Philippines."  Dave read it and couldn't pronounce the name of the place.  Para.. parano... Paranokie?

The email: "Dear Dave, Can you introduce to me the 'Late Show' models?"

E! Philippines is going to air the episode again tonight.  Hopefully.  Arrright Roneil!  Whoever you are!

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 05:09 PM »
Did you hear about that guy from Parañaque who almost made Dave sprain his tongue saying the word "Parañaque?"

Yup saw it.

It was actually in the portion called CBS Mailbag. The Pinoy's letter was the 2nd one Dave read.  Dave couldn't pronounce Paranaque, he said it as "Purr-en-nya-ki". And he asked help from Paul (band).

You could actually submit a letter to CBS Mailbag. They have a link on Dave Letterman's site over at CBS, they provide a little box for your e-mail questions there. Who knows, they might read your letter next. :)

Tomorrow on Dave, Dr. Phil! ;D

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 02:43 PM »
I still prefer Leno over Letterman, Leno is a nice guy while letterman I think in my humble opinion is bitter.  He is bitter at NBC for choosing Leno, bitter at Oprah for not guesting in his show and bitter at Leno specially.  And I think his the most lousy host Oscars ever had if not the worst, mas ok pa yung pag-hohost ni Conan ng Emmys eh.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #64 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 06:13 PM »
Wasn't Dr. Phil qouted as saying "I'm gonna open up a can of whoop @$$ on him" regarding Dave? Or was that just worldwide pants editing, again?  :)

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 06:38 PM »
I think it's possible to appreciate both Dave and Jay, and I do. Jay is a more mababaw, masa type humor and he does look like a nice guy. Dave's witty as hell. When Clinton came on Dave's show, I thought, "Leno can't do this." But Dave hardly could keep up himself.

There was an interesting TV movie, sort of biopic, about the two of them.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 06:41 PM »
It was a satire, I think. It also showed how Jay's former manager was booted out.

I'm not surprised, she would have run Jay's career to the ground if she wasn't fired. But she was responsible for his success. Go figure.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 07:40 PM »
Oh yes, your talking about "The Late Shift" I think its based on a book.  The former manager of Leno even sued the producers of that TV Movie.  

One thing I noticed about Letterman too, he often result to race bashing, he I think is a closet racist, Jay on the other hand is more tactful when it comes to racial jokes and issues and he is not too insulting to other artist, well except when it comes to John Tesh, hope got my spelling right, which appeared gamely on his show even.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2003 at 07:48 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 08:02 PM »
I only saw that once on HBO. The actor for Leno was very much satirical. His chin was so sharp and big, it could be classified as a deadly weapon.  ;D

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 08:10 PM »
lol yes your right, he can pass as a caricature.  Even the way he speaks and that voice.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 08:23 PM »
I only saw that once on HBO. The actor for Leno was very much satirical. His chin was so sharp and big, it could be classified as a deadly weapon.  ;D

Saw that too!  The actor who played Leno was one of Tommy Lee Jones' people in the movie US Marshall, I think.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
Dr. Phil on Dave
« Reply #71 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 10:47 AM »
I didn't catch it last night and I was hoping to read about it today. Hindi pala original ang "Ilalabas ko ang ang aking salamin." ni Ate Girl Abunda. Hee.

Dr. Phil roasts back
NEW YORK (AP) -- Self-help guru Dr. Phil proved to David Letterman that he can dish it as well as take it.

Making a guest appearance on Letterman's show Monday, Phil McGraw pulled out a note card and read off the list of names he's been called during the late night talk show host's relentless ribbing over the past few months. "Pinhead," "evil genius" and "half-baked quack" were among the nicer ones.

McGraw proved he had a sense of humor -- and that he could give as good as he got. He said he had a few openings on his show for Letterman next week. "We're going to do neurotics next Tuesday," he said. "We're going to do psychotics next Thursday and Friday."

Asked to define a neurotic, McGraw requested a mirror for Letterman. "Diagnosing would be 15 or 20 seconds," he said, "and fixing would be 15 or 20 years."

Letterman took the punches, and praised McGraw for having "a certain measure of equanimity" for coming on as a guest.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 01:07 PM »

Last night's show was a gem.  Dave came in on a snowmobile with Andrea (or is it Nadine?) and Kiva (the grinder girl) in tow.  It was cool, if only because we rarely get to see Letterman on the street and far from his desk nowadays.

Dr. Phil knew what he was doing.  He came prepared to dish it out to Dave who gamely let him.  Once he sat down, Dr. Phil yelled, "Gimme my check! I want my check! I've been a regular on this show for six months! Where's my check!" I didn't realize Words of Wisdom has been on that long.

Then he took out a list of all the things he's been called on the show by Dave.  It included "pinhead", "bonehead", "quack", "half-baked quack", "evil genius" and "300-pound bully" among other sweet sounding names.

He even had a "Dave Letterman's Words of Wisdom" ready where Dave said something like "Being a lesbian is a life-long commitment."

When Dave asked him to describe a neurotic, Dr. Phil asked for a mirror.

About Oprah, Dr. Phil said Dave shouldn't worry about it -- and for that matter, what Dave thinks other people think of him --  too much.  He said something like, people would have lesser problems if they knew how little other people think about them.  Which brought a smile to Dave's face.

Dave was right. It was big of Dr. Phil to come and sit with him. Dave was worried Dr.Phil would come in steaming mad and even asked Paul to "take him" if he tries to pull anything. Other celebrities who've been on the receiving end of Dave's pot shots don't want nothing to do with Dave.  Well, the good doctor it turns out, is a fan of the Late Show (says he watches a lot of it) and even finds the segment funny.  Like Dave said, some people get it, some don't and Dr. Phil is one of the few who do.

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 02:59 PM »
it was hilarious! the entire show was a hoot. i have new found respect for dr. phil, standing up and holding his own against dave. the man's got a great bag of witty comebacks.

now if only oprah would guest on the show...

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 06:54 PM »
Did Dave come in on a snowmobile? Argh. My tape only got the monolouge. Darn timer recording.

It was nice to see Monty (Steph) again  ;D

Can't wait for Oprah. Now, She HAS to come on or else, it'll look bad.

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 11:35 PM »
was kinda hoping dave would do his Oprah Log bit today after dr. phil's guesting last night. oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 11:44 PM »
it was hilarious! the entire show was a hoot. i have new found respect for dr. phil, standing up and holding his own against dave. the man's got a great bag of witty comebacks.

now if only oprah would guest on the show...

Well thats funny to us but I don't think Oprah should guest on the show.  Ano si Letterman sinuswerte di lalong mang proprovoke siya so that the controversial victim would show up in his show and earn him the rating and the green bucks.

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 11:50 PM »
mr. big boy, it's all in good fun  ;D

i honestly feel dave's being ver sincere with this oprah thing. and his 'reconcilliation' ep with madonna was pretty good... i think he's man enough to behave with oprah.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 12:08 AM »
Sana wag-magagalit ang mga Letterman fans sakin dito, pero I find Letterman to be plastic and his jokes, good as they are, seems like rehearsed and calculated.  Anyway its nice to believe that this is all in good fun but when it involves multi-million dollar contracts and revenues doing something in the spirit of good fun seems, well hilarious.  Anyway were not just talking about Oprah here, but alot of her fans have taken offens at what Dave does to her.  Im not Oprahs fan just to be clear.

And about Madonnas "reconciliation" episode, well what can I say she is MADONNA - and dave knew she is who she is.  If she is Cindy Lauper I think Dave would have not bothered, besides wasnt it Dave who threw Lenos hands of reconciliation a couple of times? He was even quoted bad mouthing Jay right?

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2003 at 01:37 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 06:03 AM »
I find Letterman to be plastic and his jokes, good as they are, seems like rehearsed and calculated.  Anyway its nice to believe that this is all in good fun but when it involves multi-million dollar contracts and revenues doing something in the spirit of good fun seems, well hilarious.  

IMO, most late-night talk show guys have rehearsed and calculated jokes.  And most, if not all, late-night talk shows earn a living (and ratings) by making fun of people. Even Leno.

I'm really a CONAN fan, and like Letterman, Conan has his share of celebrities who hate him because of the things that he do on his show. Pero, David has more. ;D David probably would like to come off as someone who's a jackass, which really actually contributes to his show being the #1 late night show.

Dan wrote:
It was nice to see Monty (Steph) again

I like this woman! ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 10:31 AM »
Sorry you feel that way, Mr. Big Boy.  Like our man Dave says, either you get it or you don't... ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2003 at 10:34 AM by JdelaCruz »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 11:14 AM »
amen to that  ;D

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 01:41 PM »
I find Letterman to be plastic and his jokes, good as they are, seems like rehearsed and calculated.  Anyway its nice to believe that this is all in good fun but when it involves multi-million dollar contracts and revenues doing something in the spirit of good fun seems, well hilarious.  

IMO, most late-night talk show guys have rehearsed and calculated jokes.  And most, if not all, late-night talk shows earn a living (and ratings) by making fun of people. Even Leno.

I'm really a CONAN fan, and like Letterman, Conan has his share of celebrities who hate him because of the things that he do on his show. Pero, David has more. ;D David probably would like to come off as someone who's a jackass, which really actually contributes to his show being the #1 late night show.

Dan wrote:
It was nice to see Monty (Steph) again

I like this woman! ;D

Is that true? I wasn't aware that Dave is now the number 1 late night show.  The last time I saw the ratings it was Jay number 1, fallowed by Ted Koppel number 2 and Letterman comes in at number 3 only.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 02:07 PM »
Don't know sa ratings pero sa Emmy Awards, Dave always wins. I think 3 or 4 years in a row na?

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 02:52 PM »
Yes, Dave is the #1 ranked late night TV show. At least that's what I saw in a report a couple of months ago. Leno is, too, but his ranking is not as consistent as Dave's. I think they look at the overall rankings in terms of number of shows, years, etc. I'll check the nielsen and E websites later.

In some quarters of the year, Conan rates just as good as Leno. I'm not really surprised though. Leno is not as irreverent. For one thing, Leno doesn't have "Triumph: The Insult-Comic Dog"! ;D

What lends to the success of Dave and Conan is probably their ability to self-deprecate. they can dish it out as much as they can take it in. Leno does too but he's not as liberal with the insults. And if he does insult a celebrity, he apologizes to them whenever they guest on the show.

Conan and Dave do not.

Even back in the Carson days, you'll see shades of O'Brien and Letterman. Leno's a bit of a watered down version of Carson and it's no secret who he wanted as his successor.

All the talk-show hosts are being paid skyrocket amounts to do the things that they do and it's unfair to say that Dave's the only multi-millionaire out there. Leno and Letterman are in the same leauge, they just do things differently

Leno can be just as "plastic" as Dave and vice-versa. Even more so (what's with all that on-air advertising anyway?)

Leno badmouths Dave too (remember? Sometimes in that phone-in viewer portion of Leno. Some callers ask for Dave), but they really are very good friends. Acquaintances, at least. That's why malakas ang loob nila to trade on-air barbs.

Oprah should guest. It would be weird if she didn't. Even with all the cracks at her, she's a prominent public figure and Dave's well within the boundaries of doing whatever he can to have her on the show. She should be flattered.

To quote from Bro. JDelaCruz, "Like our man Dave says, either you get it or you don't...  ;D"

Sungit Dave should re-start the Oprah log!

CrUzSACK I love Steph! She's sooooooo cute :)

I was surprised to see the metal grinder lady is now part of the late show babes. Is her name Kiva? What's the name of the blonde/redhead late show babe? Isn't it Michelle?
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2003 at 02:58 PM by Dan »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 04:53 PM »
Well we can't second guess Oprah, she's the one taking all the insults and cruel jokes from Dave.  We know what Oprah went thru in her life, only an insensitive guy would keep on insulting a lady whose been thru alot and who already made it abudantly clear that she does not appreciate what Dave is dishing out at her expense.  Sure its fun to watch him insult all this celebrities, thats why he keeps on doing it, but to what end, money ofcourse, di naman tayo naive.  Some people can take it, good for them but some can't he should have drawn the line from there.  Thats why for me Leno is alot better, in a sense that he know when to be funny and when to behave.

I like watching Dave too as an entertainer but I cant say the same about his character.  He reminds me of Jerry Springer in a way or Jenny Jones while Leno is in the same league as Oprah and Larry King not as controversial but intelligent.  Insults are the easiest form of comedy so I dont find host and comedians who relly heavily on them as good.  And Dave is far from being Johnny Carson infact Johnny's demeanor and delivery are more similar in style with Leno's style.

As for being the No.1 show, I still doubt it very much that Dave is no. 1.  Leno has been or is still on the no.1 position for a long time now kaya kahit e average ang overall ratings siya pa rin and lalabas on top.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2003 at 01:13 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 06:33 PM »
Well we can't second guess Oprah, she's the one taking all the insults and cruel jokes from Dave.  We know what Oprah went thru in her life, only an insensitive guy would keep on insulting a lady who been thru alot and who already made it abudantly clear that she does not appreciate what Dave is dishing out in her expense.  Sure its fun to watch him insult all this celebrities, thats why he keeps on doing it, but to what end, money ofcourse, di naman tayo naive.  Some people can take it, good for them but some can't he should have drawn the line from there.  Thats why for me Leno is alot better, in a sense that he know when to be funny and when to behave.

I like watching Dave too as an entertainer but I cant say the same about his character.  He reminds me of Jerry Springer in a way or Jenny Jones while Leno is in the same league as Oprah and Larry King not as controversial but intelligent.  Insults are the easiest form of comedy so I dont find host and comedians who relly heavily on them as good.  And Dave is far from being Johnny Carson infact Johnny's demeanor and delivery are more similar in style with Leno's style.

As for being the No.1 show, I still doubt it very much that Dave is no. 1.  Leno has been or is still on the no.1 position for a long time now kaya kahit e average ang overall ratings siya pa rin and lalabas on top.

Potato, po-ta-to. Tomato, to-ma-to.

For Conan fans who miss their favorite insult comic dog, here's a link:

http://www.triumphtheinsultcomicdog.com/

Ba't pa kasi nag program change ang CNBC...  >:(

Does anyone remember Triumph's appearance at the Video Music Awards where he faced off with Eminem?  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2003 at 06:34 PM by Dan »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 07:50 PM »
CrUzSACK I love Steph! She's sooooooo cute :)

She is, isn't she? She could probably have her own show too.  What's her job really?  Dave's assistant at the office?  

Mr. Big Boy - opposite naman tayo, you find Dave plastic ako naman I find Leno "ma-showbiz" sometimes.  :)  I used to like Leno over Letterman pero #1 talaga si Conan.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2003 at 07:51 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 08:01 PM »
Yes, she is Dave's assistant. I think there are 5 of them in the office that are assistants.

She's very deadpan kasi and seems to live in her own world. Very quirky. She might become what Dave did for Tony Mendez, the cue card boy ('ya know? The Tony Mendez Show on the Internet?)

Conan is also a big fan of Letterman. He was the only one who wished him well during Dave's quintuple bypass surgery.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Feb 21, 2003 at 12:48 AM »
Hey peeps!

I'm afraid our Mr. Big Boy is right.  Ratings-wise (as in Nielsen Ratings) Dave has been trailing Leno for quite a while now.  When Dave went over to CBS to go head to head with Leno, his ratings shot through the roof and was promptly crowned King of Late Night.  But after a couple of years or so, Dave slumped, Leno overtook him and never looked back.  It got so bad at times that even Tom Brokaw beat him for second place to Leno.  Things only picked up when Dave came back from a quintuple by-pass, and then again after the 9/11.  In fact, according to Variety, the Dr. Phil episode was the first time Dave topped Leno in 3 years!

The existing theory is that Dave is too wacky for late night.  If you're all set to go to bed after a long day's work, the last thing you want is a jolt of adrenaline from laughing your ass off at something like "Words of Wisdom" or "Pat and Kenny Read Oprah Trascripts".  In other words, people watch Leno to help them fall asleep, that's why he's tops in the ratings.  ;D

However, Dan is right too in that Dave's is ranked the #1 Late Show around.  In terms of approval from the critics, popularity on the internet, influence in the industy, it's Dave who tops the list.  Last year, in a TV Guide ranking of the best TV shows of all time Late Show was No.7 (or is it 5).  Seinfeld was No.1.  The Tonight Show by either Carson or Leno didn't figure in the top twenty (or in the list at all iirc).  And Dave is credited for doing a lot in helping America back on its feet by airing live on the Monday after the 9/11 attack while all the others still had their thumbs up their arses wondering what to do.  

Hey, like we say, who needs ratings when you got six Emmys, five of them all in a row for the past 5 years?

Sorry for the long post.

PS. Tonight on the Big Show:  CSI chick Marg Helgenberger and musical guest The Flaming Lips (yep, they're still around.)
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2003 at 01:09 AM by JdelaCruz »