Author Topic: TV Talk Shows  (Read 11932 times)

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:TV Talk Shows
« Reply #90 on: Feb 21, 2003 at 02:06 AM »
i remember watching an episode of conan before where john tesh guested, after years of being conan's butt of all insults -- much like dr. phil's guesting on dave. and it was a prett good show. john tesh was very good natured and conan was on his best behavior.

another guest i love seeing on dave is richard simmons. thinking about him now makes me giggle in front of my computer screen.

like is said, it's all in good fun... and these celebrities know it ain't anything personal.

one leno segment i couldn't stand was when he'd have this huge head and start insulting audience members for being so dumb. poorly written and very unfunny. some are even painful to watch.

i miss my conan tuloy. no more weekends with my favorite carrot top  :-[

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Feb 21, 2003 at 10:26 AM »
In some quarters of the year, Conan rates just as good as Leno. I'm not really surprised though. Leno is not as irreverent. For one thing, Leno doesn't have "Triumph: The Insult-Comic Dog"! ;D

That dog has a name? Eto yung pinapanood mo sa amin nun di ba? The dog that humps every light saber it sees. I'd stay up late for Conan just to see that.  ;D

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #92 on: Feb 21, 2003 at 02:27 PM »
That dog has a name? Eto yung pinapanood mo sa amin nun di ba? The dog that humps every light saber it sees. I'd stay up late for Conan just to see that.  ;D

One of the best segments in Television Talk Show history is Triumph, The Insult Comic Dog. See link in above posts to go to his official website.

Yup, dude. That's the VCD I lent to Wilde. All in all I have 12 Triumph segments in there courtesy of Bro. Flyderman.

Hindi lang Lightsaber ang tinira ni Triumph. You should have heard him plead right in front (actually, to the side) of J.Lo's face at the Video Music Awards:

"J. LO....PLEASE...!!! LET ME SNIFF YOUR BUTT!!! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! FOR A DOG, IT'S LIKE CLIMBING MOUNT EVEREST!!!

I love this mutt (rottweiler, actually...)!  ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 09:21 AM »
You guys catch Vince Vaughn guest-hosting Late Show with David Letterman last night? (Dave's been sidelined by the shingles.)  He rocked big time.  Pretty d@mn good job.  Best guest host so far (ever?). Hope you guys saw it.

Here's a sample of his monologue from the website:

“Welcome to the Late Show. There’s been a regime change.”
“I’m Vince Vaughn. You loved me in ‘Swingers.’ You rented me in ‘Made.’ You missed me entirely in ‘Psycho.’”
“I’m here for a very good reason. I answered the phone.”
“Dave has the shingles. That’s show business for drying out in Malibu”
“By the way, anyone here tonight who wants to leave now to go see ‘Old School,’ perfectly okay.”

Upcoming guest hosts:

Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Elvis Costello Thursday tonight, SNL's Will Ferrell tomorrow night and Will & Grace's Megan Mullaly night after that.

Intersting eh?
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2003 at 09:24 AM by JdelaCruz »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 02:58 PM »
you know who'd make a GREAT guest host? Jerry Seinfeld. i wonder why they haven't called him yet.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 03:06 PM »
I'd like to see Robin Williams or Janeane Garofalo take a stab at it.

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #96 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 11:38 PM »
or maybe Steve Martin :)

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Mar 17, 2003 at 02:23 PM »
i think elvis costello did a great job. medyo iba 'yung style, kinda different humor, but still. it was cool  :)

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Mar 17, 2003 at 10:19 PM »
did anyone catch will ferrell's guest stint? it was so funny! i couldn't stop laughing at his deadpan delivery plus his guests (chris rock and my fave weird actor crispin glover) were a riot. will did a job worthy of dave's buck-toothed smile.

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Mar 18, 2003 at 06:21 AM »
It'd be interesting to see Bill Clinton host a talk show. Or maybe just a guest host at The Man Show on Comedy Central. He'll have Hillary and Monica as his guest... at the same time.  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2003 at 06:22 AM by TOTI »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Mar 26, 2003 at 07:26 AM »
Anybody caught Paul Shaffer hosting Letterman last night? Great show! Paul could host the Oscars and do a real fine job at it. By the way, what did happen to Letterman? Didn't catch why he had to be away for....almost a month?
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2003 at 07:28 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #101 on: Mar 26, 2003 at 12:32 PM »
Yup saw the show yesterday. Paul did do a good job didnt he? He was a lot better than i would have thought. Next up for guest host is Bill Cosby.  :)

Btw, Dave has the shingles. From what i've heard, he should be back pretty soon.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2003 at 12:34 PM by hajime »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Mar 27, 2003 at 02:55 AM »
i never knew shingles was such a serious ailment... serious enough to put Dave out for a month  :-\ glad he'll be back soon. i'm sure his comeback ep will be a blast! full of self-deprecating jokes  :D

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Mar 27, 2003 at 06:14 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

How about local channels?  Like Morning Girls

Grabe!  Kikay talaga ni Kris.  But they make a great team.   ;)

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Mar 27, 2003 at 08:09 PM »
Hey, Paul did a great job last night. It was like Dave never left.

I never thought of Paul as the second banana, more likely just the band leader. My mistake. who's up next?Cosby?

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Apr 04, 2003 at 11:03 AM »
Hey guys, Dave's been back since Monday and funny as ever.  Hope you've been watching.

BTW, starting April 1 until further notice, the show's now on at 9:00PM Tuesday to Saturday on E! Philippines.  One hour earlier than usual due to some station reprogramming.

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Re: TV Talk Shows
« Reply #106 on: Sep 14, 2004 at 05:36 PM »
This just in, from Reuters:

Oprah Winfrey Opens 19th Season with Car Giveaway
Mon Sep 13, 2004 03:43 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Television host Oprah Winfrey had a surprise for the 276 members of her studio audience when she opened the latest season of her daytime talk show on Monday -- she gave them all new cars.

The $7 million giveaway came courtesy of General Motors, which provided the free Pontiac G6 sports sedans, a new line of cars, as part of a promotional deal with Winfrey's Chicago-based show, a spokeswoman for her Harpo Productions said.

The automotive handout introduced a "Wildest Dreams Come True" theme for the 19th season of "The Oprah Winfrey Show," which has reigned as the top daytime talk programs in U.S. syndication since its debut in 1986.

"No dream is too wild, no surprise too impossible to pull off," Winfrey said during the telecast.

The show opened with Winfrey calling 11 members of the audience to the stage and surprising them with the new car. She then handed out gift boxes to the rest of the audience, saying one of them contained the keys to a 12th free car. At the count of three, the boxes were opened all at once, revealing to shrieks of delight that everyone had won a set of keys.

Winfrey then led the ecstatic crowd outside the studio to a parking lot filled with G6s topped with big red bows. Each member of the audience was instructed to contact a Pontiac representative to personally customize the actual cars they will receive, allowing them to choose the color and features that come with a fully loaded model.

"We've never done a giveaway like this before," Harpo spokeswoman Carly Ubersox told Reuters.

She said most members of the audience had been specially selected from letters sent in advance by viewers on behalf of themselves, friends or family who were in need of a new car. But the audience members were kept in the dark about the nature of the show until it was taped.

Winfrey also gave away a four-year college scholarship, $10,000 wardrobe and make-over to a young woman who spent her teen years in foster care and homeless shelters. And a family with eight foster children was presented with a new houseful of furniture and electronics plus a $130,000 check to cover their mortgage and home repairs.

Grabe, the woman is just so amazing and generous; and this isn't even her "My Favorite Things" shows. Suwerte talaga if you get to be a member of her studio audience.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Jun 29, 2006 at 07:27 AM »
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #108 on: Jun 29, 2006 at 08:42 AM »
Pickle Phobia on Maury  :o

Even more frightening than that is the fact that I caught the actual episode on ETC 2nd Avenue.  :o

;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2015 at 03:09 PM »
I just watched the final episode of Letterman. End of an era.

#ThanksDave
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...