Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DRIVE
« on: Apr 07, 2007 at 11:50 AM »

Drive is the new show from FOX, created by Tim Minear (Wonderfalls). Nathan Fillion (Firefly) leads the cast that also includes another Whedon alumna, Amy Acker. It is set to take over the slot of Prison Break every Monday but the season, two-hour premiere will be on Sunday (April 15).
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: DRIVE
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 05:09 PM »
So far I am liking this new series. I just finished the second episode and I guess I am hooked. It's a little uneven but I'm getting entertained so I'm committed to finish the season. Surprisingly, my two year old son also likes it! He watched the two episodes with me and when I paused the third episode because we had to go out on a trip he complained and wanted to watch some more.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 08:40 PM »
The disappointing ratings forebode that this may go the way other Minear shows went: early cancellation. I agree with the unevenness but Nathan Fillion in any show is always a must-see. The heavy-handed drama fabricated by the writers made me appreciate The Amazing Race even more. And they call reality TV dumb?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM »
I hope that at least they finish the whole season. I just finished watching the third episode and I think the ending is one of the best "cliffhanger" endings I've seen in a long time. I couldn't help but blurt out "what?! What is it?!" in front of my monitor. My wife even had to rush to see what was going on. ;D

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 10:50 AM »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 11:03 AM »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 11:12 AM »
It's too early to cancel shows that are just in their fourth episode. It hardly even had time to build a following. This is a better show than most of the shows out there like the forthcoming The Real Wedding Crashers. I hope the last two episodes are given away as free downloads on the Fox website, much like what happened with Day Break.

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 12:09 PM »
12 Eps lang. Parang Wonderfalls. The good thing is they can plan a proper ending. One article quoted Minear saying that Fox just lets him make 12 hour movies.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 02:44 PM »
12 Eps lang. Parang Wonderfalls. The good thing is they can plan a proper ending. One article quoted Minear saying that Fox just lets him make 12 hour movies.

The article provided by Phobos only mentioned Fox's plans with just two episodes. According to TVrage.com, 13 episodes were ordered. It doesn't mention how many were actually shot. If all episodes were filmed, hopefully a British network picks it up and airs all episodes. A similar situation happened with Minear's other show, The Inside. Fox cancelled after 6 or 7 segments, then UK's ITV4 aired all 13 episodes.

This is the most frustrating aspect about US network television, all of the free air channels yank promising programs before they grow and build an audience. Minear and company are better suited for premium cable channels like HBO and Showtime. Even though both networks are known to cancel shows, they film all the episodes that they order. It's less painful and rewarding for the viewer. But I think Minear has an exclusive development deal with Fox  :(

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2007 at 02:47 PM by dobler »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 08:09 PM »
If it's an exclusive deal then Minear is getting fooked bigtime. Imagine, being caged by one network that just cancels your "babies" even before it gains any roots. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 08:26 PM »
If it's an exclusive deal then Minear is getting fooked bigtime. Imagine, being caged by one network that just cancels your "babies" even before it gains any roots. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Exactly pre, here's a similar observation: http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=thud&id=9966

The guy who this sucks most for, though, is Drive co-creator Tim Minear, who’s beloved in the Cult Of Joss Whedon for his work on Firefly and Angel. Minear previously co-created or created the series Wonderfalls and The Inside, both of which were cancelled very quickly by the same network that canned Firefly. Maybe it’s time to look for a network that will actually support your stuff, Tim.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2007 at 03:39 PM »
Slightly OT: It's a bad time to be a good tv show with lackluster ratings -- apparently, the other show that I had high hopes for (the one my wife really loves), the David E. Kelly Comedy-drama The Wedding Bells, was also canned after just five episodes. I will have to break the news to her later.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007 at 09:14 AM »
Drive: FOX Series Cancelled But Will Return

FOX has announced that Drive will be returning to primetime. Unfortunately it will be a one-time event. The network will run the unaired fifth and sixth episodes of Drive on July 4th -- one of the least-watched nights of regular television. They're also calling them the "final episodes" which means the show has indeed been cancelled and viewers have no chance of ever seeing the race's conclusion.

True fans might want to visit the Tim Minear website where they can read the scripts of the first four episodes of Drive. But beware of spoilers -- due to some editing changes, some scenes in the episodes three and four scripts were shifted to appear in later episodes. Maybe we'll get lucky and the site will post scripts for unfilmed episodes sometime in the future.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2007 at 05:52 AM »
The two final episodes of Drive is definitely airing this Wednesday. Can't wait to see how everything turned out.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2007 at 08:42 AM »
oh goodie. Finally a bit of resolution even though I know it's going to be half baked.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 11:34 AM »
Fox bumps final "Drive" episodes from July 4th to Friday the 13th.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 10, 2007 at 11:01 PM »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 11, 2007 at 12:23 AM »
Dammit!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2007 at 01:53 PM »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 04:48 PM »

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 01:37 PM »
Fox has not learned anything from Firefly. Firefly had low ratings and Fox didn't allow Firefly to build an audience. Firefly is now the biggest cult hits of the new millenium. I have a feeling that Drive might also be a cult hit. I really enjoyed this show.