Author Topic: pc based newbie budget audio setup help  (Read 512 times)

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 693
pc based newbie budget audio setup help
« on: Apr 13, 2007 at 03:25 PM »
Hi!

I'm thinking of setting up a nice music audio system around my pc. Problem is, i don't know where to start....

What I'm thinking of is something like an HTPC but is mainly for music. I have a music library in couple of hard drives full of digital audio files encoded in high bitrates (mostly mp3s) as well as lossless(flac; ape). I use foobar2000 software for playback. BTW my sound card is a creative sound blaster audigy.

I my musical tastes are diverse but i want something that can handle anything from jazz to heavy metal, hip hop and electronic music.

I want to start out with a decent 2.0 setup and then eventually add a bass module when I have the budget, for a 2.1 setup. My initial budget for the 2.0 setup is more or less 15K. 2nd hand and refurbished units are welcome as long as they're reliable. I have a small room so i dont really need a loud, high SPL setup, i just want sound quality and accurate sound reproduction. No near field studio monitors please. I wont be in front of the pc all the time while listening to music.

Any recommendations for a pair of nice entry level bookshelf speakers and a stereo amp and where to get them? Is it possible to hook up the amp directly to the sound card's preamp line out, or do i still need a receiver for that?

About the bass module.....Since i like listening to music like hip hop and electronic music which are usually bass heavy, for a fuller sound, i want to add a subwoofer that's designed for music rather than home theater which tends to be boomy. I want tight, defined, punchy affordable bass. Any recommendations for this? Active? Passive? How to put it all together?

...help?....

Thanks in advance...... :)