Author Topic: Amazon.co.uk  (Read 30354 times)

Offline brummie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Amazon.co.uk
« on: May 08, 2007 at 08:28 PM »
Has anyone tried ordering from Amazon UK?

Does this go through Royale Logistics or Philpost?

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
Re: Amazon.co.uk shopping
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007 at 09:02 PM »
I think this has been discussed before.  I doesn't go though Royal Logistics.  It's under Philpost so expect the measly custom officer with a peso sign roller over his eyes.

Offline gadgetguru

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007 at 09:27 PM »
In my limited experience with Amazon.co.uk (around five orders, so far), all are shipped via air mail and delivered by the local postman.  They arrive faster than most of my Amazon.com US orders, with some taking around a week to 10 days at most.  And their Estimate ship date is around 20 days not the two months of Amazon.com.  I didn't pay anything, though I limited each order to at most two DVDs...

My last order was not delivered though, and a replacement shipment takes longer than usual to arrive (3 weeks), it was stamped 'misshipped to Bangkok, Thailand.  So I forgive them (Philpost), but not for my still missing Amazon.com orders (see the other Amazon thread).  That's another matter...

Offline brummie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007 at 11:30 PM »
So what is the maximum amount I should order in order to avoid getting taxed?

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007 at 01:30 AM »
So what is the maximum amount I should order in order to avoid getting taxed?
If small boxes which contain 2 or 3 dvd's inside.  Most of customs officers don't mind them.  But it's really depends on your local post office.  Some post office don't let pass even on very small packages and charge extra and strait to their pockets.  Ofcourse if you buy big items it will be obvious to them and they will charge you for it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007 at 01:34 AM by baby »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007 at 07:40 AM »
Most of my online DVD shopping is via Amazon-UK, since older titles that go on sale there are far cheaper than their R1 Amazon counterparts, and I have a local source for R1 titles anyway. Seriously, their sale prices go as much as 70-90% off suggested retail price sometimes!

Unlike Amazon US, which usually uses larger boxes even for 1 or 2 DVDs, Amazon UK is the opposite - even for boxed sets, they usually ship these in cardboard sleeves that've been folded over, so they're not bulky. As a result, hindi masyado mainit sa mata ng customs inspector. I've never had a tax issue with my orders with Amazon UK, but my package value has never been over £50.

Like gadgetguru mentioned, shipping time is more efficient with Amazon UK. I'd say in general, my Amazon UK orders by the cheapest shipping option (Royal Mail) arrive in 7-10 days. There's only been one time this has not been met, and it's my current order, which shipped out on April 8th pa.  :( It's well over the April 20-30 estimated shipping date, but I gave it a little extra time due to the Labor Day weekend. I'm complaining about it today. Unlike gadgetguru, all my orders are picked up at the post office, though, whether I ship them to my QC or my San Juan address.

By the way, Amazon-UK has a really good deal right now on the James Bond Ultimate Editions Collection - the first 20 Bond films for just £99.96 - 63% off the SRP!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007 at 02:21 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline brummie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007 at 10:35 AM »
Thanks for all the info.

I just checked and I'm able to get a specific pair of DVDs at Amazon.co.uk $10.00 cheaper than Amazon.com.

Offline brummie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007 at 11:06 AM »
I noticed that the DVDs they are selling are in PAL format, does this matter if I have a regionfree DVD player?

Offline gadgetguru

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007 at 11:21 AM »
Most Amazon UK DVDs are in R2 Pal format.   They run around 4% faster than R1/R3 DVDS.  The additional speed is not noticeable. If you get sharp ears, musical numbers might sound just slightly higher pitch than would otherwise be, but most people won't discern the difference.

DVD players varies.  So does TV (your TV need to be able to handle PAL signals too).  So I can't really tell but chances are if it's multiregion, it can handle it.

As for the James Bond Ultimate set, nice price, that's one set that not getting away with custom duties...   But even at that price, it was outpriced by Amazon US for one day; a few months ago ($99.95 for all four), although if you blink, you'd missed it...and I did blinked. :)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
By the way, Amazon-UK has a really good deal right now on the James Bond Ultimate Editions Collection - the first 20 Bond films for just £99.96 - 63% off the SRP!

How about if I buy this boxset in UK when I'm there, will I be taxed when I go home? I mean in customs at the airport when I arrive..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007 at 02:24 PM by Mr. Hankey »
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007 at 02:20 PM »
I noticed that the DVDs they are selling are in PAL format, does this matter if I have a regionfree DVD player?

It might, if your TV is old and not multi-system. But most region-free DVD players can also convert PAL to NTSC output these days, so... better check.

Lastly, there was one time I helped someone out on these forums regarding Amazon UK purchases, and that person eventually got angry at me when he got his credit card statement, since I didn't tell him daw that prices at Amazon UK were in British Pounds and not in US Dollars. I just want to make sure you're a bit more savvy than that person was... baka magalit ka rin sa akin for helping you out and not explaining obvious foreign currency nuances to you.  ;D

How about if I buy this (James Bond) boxset in UK when I'm there, will I be taxed when I go home? I mean in customs at the airport when I arrive...

That depends if you irritate the customs inspector or not, but I personally have never been taxed for any DVDs I brought home from abroad.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007 at 06:40 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline brummie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007 at 03:55 PM »
It might, if your TV is old and not multi-system. But most region-free DVD players can also convert PAL to NTSC output these days, so... better check.

Lastly, there was one time I helped someone out on these forums regarding Amazon UK purchases, and that person eventually got angry at me when he got his credit card statement, since I didn't tell him daw that prices at Amazon UK were in British Pounds and not in US Dollars. I just want to make sure you're a bit more savvy than that person was... baka magalit ka rin sa akin for helping you out and not explaining obvious foreign currency nuances to you.  ;D

Don't worry I know it's in British pounds. I just made some calculations and if I buy it in:

Amazon.co.uk = £17.71 or $35.24
Amazon.com = $49.46
Amount saved= $14.22 or close to 700 pesos.

Offline brummie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007 at 11:10 AM »
Well my order was placed around 7PM yesterday. The same order was shipped 5 hours later.

Offline brummie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007 at 03:52 PM »
Now at day 12 and so far my order has not arrived. I will give it another week and if I do not get it I will file a lost order notification.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007 at 04:48 PM »
brummie, if your order shipped out on the 10th, then I'm guessing the estimated delivery date they gave you will be May 17-May 24? Please check it on your order summary. They'll usually replace the item one week after that.

But I have a feeling your order will arrive before then. I had shipments from Amazon UK that shipped out on May 9 and May 11, and both arrived TODAY at the post office. No postal notice yet, but I was near the post office and I checked. Yours was probably in the same batch as those orders.

Offline brummie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007 at 05:11 PM »
brummie, if your order shipped out on the 10th, then I'm guessing the estimated delivery date they gave you will be May 17-May 24? Please check it on your order summary. They'll usually replace the item one week after that.

But I have a feeling your order will arrive before then. I had shipments from Amazon UK that shipped out on May 9 and May 11, and both arrived TODAY at the post office. No postal notice yet, but I was near the post office and I checked. Yours was probably in the same batch as those orders.

Yup more or less correct on the estimated delivery date.

What is the postmark on the package that you got? I actually got a parcel notice yesterday and when I came to the Makati Central PO today it was for another item (non-amazon) that had a postmark May 17 but was only delivered to the office yesterday.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007 at 05:23 PM »
Sorry man, I tossed out the boxes at the post office already. But I did notice that I usually get my postal notice almost one week after package arrival, which is why I make it habit to already swing by the post office when I'm expecting a shipment.

Offline brummie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007 at 10:39 PM »
Sorry man, I tossed out the boxes at the post office already. But I did notice that I usually get my postal notice almost one week after package arrival, which is why I make it habit to already swing by the post office when I'm expecting a shipment.

OK I will wait until next Friday before going to Amazon.co.uk.

Offline brummie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007 at 02:37 PM »
Order Summary

Seller: Amazon.co.uk
Order Date: May 10, 2007
Ship Date: May 10, 2007
Arrival: May 22, 2007
Parcel Notice Received: May 25, 2007

Offline drjdm319

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Amazon UK vs Amazon US
« Reply #19 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 05:02 PM »
Please help!
From your good experiences, I tried to look at the Amazon UK site.  it is true, DVDs there are cheaper than the US versions.
However, almost all of the Amazon UK DVDs have run times shorter than the Amazon US versions.  Example is Gladiator 3-Disc Extended Version, the Amazon UK states run time at 164 minutes and the Amazon US has it pegged at 171 minutes.  What gives? Are these the same versions? Do Americans and British have different method of calculating run time?
I am interested to buy from Amazon UK because they sell the set at 6.97 pounds while Amazon US has it at more that 25 dollars.
PLease enlighten, thanks.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 07:51 PM »
Read gadgetguru's post above...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline drjdm319

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 10:02 PM »
Maraming salamat sa clarification!

Offline emvi_2000

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 11:50 AM »
My 1st amazon.co.uk order which was shipped last Nov. 10 arrived today..Got it from the PO..paid P35... ;D

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 02:32 AM »
Looks like Amazon.uk is a good alternative to Amazon US.
I'll try ordering a couple of BRs to test this one.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 04:03 AM »

Yup, I think so also. After reading the entire thread, I shall try ordering as well and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2008 at 04:03 AM by stickfighter »

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 09:11 AM »

Be careful when ordering blu-rays from amazon UK. Make sure the disc is region free coz UK or Europe belongs to Region B. If you are using a blu-ray player from North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia your player belongs to Region A.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 11:28 PM »
Be careful when ordering blu-rays from amazon UK. Make sure the disc is region free coz UK or Europe belongs to Region B. If you are using a blu-ray player from North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia your player belongs to Region A.

Excellent point Aeris30.  ;)  There are a number of region-free BDs but better be sure.  Here's the link to verify the titles by region, am not sure how often the sites are updated though:
http://bluray.liesinc.net/
http://80.161.213.38:81/

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2008 at 03:39 AM »
Hi Guys! ;D

Due to the "steelbook" collection thread here at Pdvd and moreover, being motivated by the collection of Sir Xage, I went and looked at dvd's at Amazon UK. ;D I was shocked to see so many nice steelbooks available for sale. ;D I took the courage to order online the Sin City Collectors Edition Steelbook.

The order confirmation stated that the dvd will ship out tomorrow, Sept. 26 and can expect delivery on Oct. 8 or 10. ;D

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 26, 2008 at 03:43 AM »
@stickfighter

Magkano damage?

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 26, 2008 at 04:20 AM »
@stickfighter

Magkano damage?

Sir Blued, here's the breakdown:

Subtotal of Items:    £7.98 
Postage & Packing:    £3.58 
   ------ 
Total before VAT:    £11.56 
VAT:    £0.00 
   ------ 
Total:    £11.56 
Promotional Gift Certificates:    -£0.00 
   ------ 
Total for this order:    £11.56 

This is my first order from Amazon UK, so I ordered the Sin City dvd first, kasi mura lang compared to what I really intend to order, which is the The Godfather Steelbook. ;D

Keeping my fingers crossed that I will get this. :-[ But if this works, I will definitely order all my steelbooks from them. ;D They have a good number of movies on steelbook! ;D