Author Topic: "On the Lot" on Star Movies  (Read 5633 times)

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"On the Lot" on Star Movies
« on: May 20, 2007 at 09:49 AM »
Aspiring filmmakers can take the first step toward fulfilling their dreams of becoming a Hollywood director by taking part in FOX's new reality competition series, ON THE LOT. Executive-produced by Mark Burnett and Steven Spielberg, the show will give aspiring filmmakers from around the world the chance to earn a $1-million development deal at DreamWorks.

Airing this Tuesday on FOX, this unscripted series will feature a cast of undiscovered filmmakers who will compete to win the support of the show's viewers, as their fate will be decided by a weekly audience vote.

The competition will air over two nights weekly, with a one-hour "Film Premiere" episode, followed the next night by a half-hour "Box Office" results show.

After a global search, applicants will be winnowed to a group of talented filmmakers. These finalists will be brought to Hollywood, where they will be divided into teams and begin the journey toward their "big break."

Every week, the hopeful filmmakers will produce short films from a chosen genre, running the gamut from comedies to thrillers, personal dramas to romance, sci-fi to horror. They'll have access to the best resources the industry has to offer -- professional writers, cast and crew, and maybe even Hollywood celebrities.

After the teams have battled time frames, budgets and all the usual chaos that goes along with filmmaking, their films will debut and be critiqued in front of a live audience during the "Film Premiere" episode. Judges will include a high-ranking motion picture executive, a prominent film critic and a succession of well-respected guests, such as directors who are experts in the week's featured genre. But the filmmakers ultimately will be judged by the harshest critics of all … the public.

It will be FOX viewers whose votes determine which film should be left on the cutting-room floor. On the next night's "Box Office" results show, the director whose feature garners the fewest votes will be sent home.

The competition continues and directors are eliminated until only the most talented filmmaker is anointed the winner and heads to DreamWorks … ON THE LOT.

I haven't seen PROJECT GREENLIGHT before; but, I'm eager to check this out mainly because of Burnett and Spielberg.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 10:02 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: On the Lot
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007 at 11:29 AM »
One of my friends actually participated in this. Unfortunately, he didn't make it to the final 50 but he did thank all of his supporters who spread the word about his film and kept it at 5 stars throughout the judging process. You can view it here:

http://www.qwertyfilm.com/

-----

Hi everyone!

Today the people at Mark Burnett Productions announced the 50 semi-finalists for ON THE LOT, and unfortunately we weren't among the fifty. Most of the finalists hailed from major cities in the United States and Canada, plus a couple of filmmakers from England.

To these fortunate few, we wish them luck and pray that they give us a good enough show that will have a second or third season -- because for sure we will want to compete in this again! :) Perhaps next year they will be more open to submissions from Asia, and we'll definitely be in there to give it another try.

To our friends, to each and every one of you who came to view our movie, left your terrific reviews, gave us your prized 5-star ratings, and together created such a tremendous flood of encouragement and support for our film from all over the world, we thank you, most sincerely, from the bottom of our hearts. You don't know how incredibly touching and uplifting your words and actions have been to us all. We consider it a huge achievement in itself to get the numbers you've given us -- 34,864 views, 508 ratings and still 5 stars! -- when most other films on the OTL site have been struggling just to break 1,000 views.

As I mentioned in my introductory video, from the start, the ON THE LOT effort was a long shot, isang suntok sa buwan. But we've always believed that when you dream, you must dream big. Already we have several very exciting feature-length projects slated for late 2007 and the summer of 2008. Meanwhile, we proceed with our plans to put QWERTY on the international festival circuit.

For sure, this will not be our last suntok sa buwan, not by far. On to the next great adventure!

With many thanks,

Paolo Dy and the entire QWERTY team
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: On the Lot
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007 at 09:58 PM »
Starts this Wednesday, May 23rd, 9:00PM on Star Movies.

So no need to torrent if you want to watch it...  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
Re: "On the Lot" on Star Movies
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007 at 11:34 PM »
I saw the pilot episode.

And I have to say: The fact that one of the people I have to impress BRETT RATNER just reduced this show's credibility for me. This show obviously is not looking for the next great auteur of cinema but rather a competent studio craftsman who make movies that make money and can be easily manipulated in the studio system. It's not looking for the next Jim Jarmusch but rather the next Gore Verbinski.

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007 at 11:41 AM »
I think the contestants were pretty much aware of the fact that this contest is looking for commercial directors, craftsmen like Ratner who aren't exactly artists but can churn out acceptable product.

Damn, Carrie Fisher looks old. (Well, she IS old) Kinda reminds me of Margot Kidder now.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007 at 11:23 PM »
Kinda reminds me of Margot Kidder now.

Frighteningly so.  :o

It looks like an okay show to watch, considering it's summer and there's nothing better on air yet.

Next episode on Star Movies is tomorrow, Friday at 9PM, then it settles into its regular weekly schedule:

Tuesdays at 9PM
Wednesdays at 9PM

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007 at 05:35 AM »
9PM? Won't be able to watch the show then. I checked the replay sked on Click the City and it listed other showtimes: 12:30AM & 2PM (the next day). Is this right?

Guess I have to use other means to see this one... at least until Pirate Master;D

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007 at 09:32 AM »
12:25am and 11:30am tomorrow. Try this link for the schedule: Star Movies

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007 at 10:34 PM »
And I have to say: The fact that one of the people I have to impress BRETT RATNER just reduced this show's credibility for me.

It looks like they're looking for the next big hack. It's slightly disappointing since, according to one review of the pilot, the series has strong affinities with Project Runway, in that real talent is what is being searched for. Bratner's appearance kind of cheapened the show for me. But I'll hold off on any final judgements on the show because this just might get really interesting.

I was actually looking for Paolo Dy among the group. I didn't get to read Firewired's post that he was not shortlisted. It's a darn shame.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007 at 11:18 PM »
Guys, come on. Of course this is a search for a "commercial" film director who makes the kinds of films Ratner does.

Do you really think an artsy-fartsy aspiring filmmaker would actually join a reality show contest produced by Mark Burnett? He'd be too snobbish to do so!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007 at 11:20 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007 at 12:52 AM »
I was thinking more of at least a Soderbergh who can straddle commercial and artsy. I was just disappointed with what two of the contestants said. One mentioned that he basically wanted to do same things Bratner does, the other one got excited when Bratner himself said he can have a future making commercial films. I guess I was just looking for Project Runway type characters who pooh pooh the show for being commercial but at the same time know that it is an important stepping stone for their careers. :) Those characters are what make reality shows like this so entertaining. But, then it is too early to tell, there might be one or two of those types in the show.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007 at 01:09 AM »
One mentioned that he basically wanted to do same things Bratner does

He was one of the guys who got eliminated today. Haha!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007 at 09:51 AM »
Saw the first two episodes. I found them engaging enough for me to check out further episodes. I didn't mind Ratner's presence. The show is about making it into Hollywood anyway. Naturally, the entertainment will come from seeing how the finalists conform to the system.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007 at 10:15 AM »
I think the contestants were pretty much aware of the fact that this contest is looking for commercial directors, craftsmen like Ratner who aren't exactly artists but can churn out acceptable product.

d**n, Carrie Fisher looks old. (Well, she IS old) Kinda reminds me of Margot Kidder now.
if you do drugs you'll llook like Carrie Fisher and Margot Kidder. :)

Offline hashpipe

• Collector
  • Indiefreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007 at 02:20 PM »
The "Out of Time" shorts of the teams of 3 are now available on the official site: www.thelot.com

I thought Wilted is good.

Time Out is just ok for me. I wanna see Zach doing a short without any sfx and see how he would fare.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007 at 03:51 PM »
Does anyone else feel that even the very best of these shorts feel like well-crafted commercials? I keep half-expecting a product to show up in some of these.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007 at 08:25 PM »
That would be expected since these are directors wanting to do commercial films so it will have zip and zing but very little meat.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007 at 10:18 PM »
DJ Caruso is stepping in for Ratner for the next installment. Does that improve the show's credibility now?  ;D Heard Bill Friedkin is also slated to appear.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007 at 07:23 AM »
So much better, hehe. I saw a few minutes' worth of the episode shown in Star Movies last night. I'm a bit perplexed by the unnecessary gushing I saw (which was  the first 15 minutes). Carrie Fisher gives comments like Paula Abdul. I was hoping for more of a critique really. Something that would not only inform the audience about the opinion of the judges but also make it a film education of sorts. Much like what Nina Garcia and Michael Kors do back in Project Runway (which I think got the formula right for talent based reality shows).

But criticisms aside, On The Lot is really a good series. It shows a lot of promise and is taking all of the right things from the other talent shows and incorporating it into the mix. Good one, Burnett!

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007 at 10:06 AM »
I wished they did away with the intros by the directors. Establishing the premise (especially in shorts) is a skill they need to have. Although it did help the FX guy. His use of a continuous shot raised his esteem a bit in the judges' eyes.

My vote goes to the dancing man. 

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007 at 10:05 PM »
I agree with the critic from Time. I wish they'd go along the route of Project Runway where we can see how the finalists go through the creative process rather than a la American Idol's performance shows. The episode last night was boring for me. Yes, Indie. I hope they get a judge like Michael Kors who won't sugarcoat his critiques.

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007 at 12:19 PM »
The format is exactly like Rockstar. According to reports, it was supposed to be like Project Runway / The Apprentice but was retooled because of bad ratings.

Offline hashpipe

• Collector
  • Indiefreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007 at 01:24 PM »
Quite disappointing. Most of the shorts were blah. The judges ALL have the same opinion. They took out the 3 people who have more potential than some of the remaining contestants.

Lame...

...but I'll keep watching the show for something great.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 11:58 AM »
I'm a little confused. Was there a new episode last night? Because the replay at 12:15am and 9:30 this morning was of last week's results show.

Offline hashpipe

• Collector
  • Indiefreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 07:46 PM »
The show was shrinked to just a weekly one-hour show (instead of having an extra show for the results) due to poor ratings. There should be a new episode now at 8pm.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2007 at 08:00 PM by hashpipe »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 09:10 PM »
And you know you're in trouble when the judge who gives the most credible, constructive criticism is Michael freaking Bay.

I've just about given up on this show. I'm very frustrated that they patterned themselves after American Idol. If I was producing a reality show on filmmaking, I'd much rather take my cue from Project: Runway where they concentrate on the creative process and where it's the judges who decide on who stays and who goes.

It's no wonder that it has low ratings. Real film geeks had already turned it off when Brett Ratner walked in as a judge and the average TV viewer don't give a crap about the filmmaking process or who's directing a film unless he has the name Spielberg. So they're left with: Flixster users.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 11:57 PM »
The show was shrinked to just a weekly one-hour show (instead of having an extra show for the results) due to poor ratings. There should be a new episode now at 8pm.

Thanks hashpipe.

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 07, 2007 at 12:04 PM »
Michael Bay: You know what your film lacks? GIANT F***ING ROBOTS.

Offline hashpipe

• Collector
  • Indiefreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 07, 2007 at 12:33 PM »
Somebody here got it right when he/she said that the shorts they do look like commercial advertisements. I'm once again disappointed by the shorts I've seen from yesterday's show. I enjoyed Dough: The Musical though after the laughs, wala na. The mini-docu is an eye-candy but I really didn't care much about the subject. Hilary's Meet The Finkelsteins is the worst. Broken Pipe Dreams is a meh. The blind date short is so familiar.

I enjoyed Michael Bay's critique, unexpectedly. That's the kind of critique that the filmmakers can work upon, I believe.