Author Topic: John From Cincinnati  (Read 1148 times)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
John From Cincinnati
« on: Jun 01, 2007 at 12:59 PM »
From HBO comes this one hour drama about a strange young man of mysterious origin and the effect he has on a community and a family of professional surfers. Set against the surfing community of Imperial Beach, California, the series was developed by David Milch (Deadwood) and author Kem Nunn, whose novels have been described as "surf noir." In addition, most of the surfing sequences were done by well-known surfers like Brock Little, Keala Kennelly, Dan Malloy, John-John Florence, Shane Beschen, and Herbie Fletcher.

Cast includes Bruce Greenwood, Austin Nichols, Rebecca De Mornay, Luke Perry, Brian Van Holt, Dayton Callie, Jim Beaver, Garret Dillahunt, Willie Garson, Luis Guzmán, Emily Rose, and Ed O'Neill. John From Cincinnati is scheduled to premiere on June 10, 2007.

I've seen the trailer for this and it seems pretty interesting...a surfer who levitates?  ???  8)

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: John From Cincinnati
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2007 at 05:40 PM »
Had to see the pilot thrice to get into it. Methinks David Milch has earned enough good will for me to sit through five more episodes. Just like another HBO show Carnivale, it might take time for me to figure how everything falls into place. There was only one thing that bothered me, the kid keeps referring to Rebecca De Mornay as gram.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2007 at 05:40 PM by Reuven Malter »
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2007 at 03:07 PM »
pilot takes a bit of warming to but it sort of kicks in around episdoe 2.

i'm sticking with this. anything with david milch, aaron sorkin and ronald moore i stick with. (if lost turns out to be as great as the season finale sigguests, i'll add abrams to the list too)

an interesting experiment at the very least.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2007 at 09:59 AM »
Well I'm a fan. This is one of the better new shows I've seen this year, potentially the best one if they can keep up the level of the writing. The surf noir feel is fine with me but can be difficult to get into. The show seems to be another playful though not necessarily satirical take on the New Testament.

To summarize: the Yost family is legendary in the Imperial Beach surfing community but hilariously dysfunctional. Shaun Yost, the youngest, is a serene, golden haired wonderboy who rides the waves as easily as walking and is the heart and center of the family. Then John (from Cincinnati), an oddball herald with a message about the end of the world, mysteriously appears in Imperial Beach and assimilates himself into the Yost household. Strange things start to happen and you get the feeling that there's more to the Holy Yosts than meets the eye...
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2007 at 12:43 PM »
Four episodes in and I can safely say this is shaping up to potentially be the best thing on TV right now, with the possible exception of Lost and Galactica. (Haven't seen the new Dr.Who yet, reportedly good)

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2007 at 10:33 PM »
Fellow Cincy fans, what do you make of John's sermon?

Transcript courtesy of series writer, Steve Hawk:

"If my words are yours, can you hear my Father? Can Bill know my Father, keeping his eye on me? Can I bone Kai and Butchie know my Father instead?

"My Father's shy doing his business. Kai helps my Father dump out. Bill takes a shot. Shaunie is much improved.

"Joe is a Doubting Thomas. Joe will save Not-Aleman. Joe will bring his buddies home. This is how Freddy relaxes. Cup-o'joe, and Winchell's variety dozen.

"Mitch catches a good wave. Mitch wipes out. Mitch wipes out Cissy. Cissy shows Butchie how to do that. Cissy wipes Butchie out. Butchie hurts Barry's head. Mister Rollins comes in Barry's face. My Father runs the Mega-Millions.

"Fur is big. Mud is big. The stick is big. The word is big. Fire is huge. The wheel is huge. The line and circle are big. On the wall, the line and circle are huge. On the wall, the man at the wall makes a man from the circle and line. The man at the wall makes a Word on the wall from the circle and line. The Word on the wall hears my Father.

"The zeroes and ones make the Word in Cass's camera. In the Word on the wall that hears my-Father-in-Cass's-camera, the good one Mitch catches doesn't wipe Cissy out. In the-Word-that-hears-my-Father, Cissy shows Butchie something else. In-my-Father's-Word, Cissy shows Butchie in Shaun. In-my-Father's-Word, Tina raises Shaun at lunch. In Cass's-camera, Butchie lays the court out for Barry, and Mister Rollins watches, and he doesn't come on Barry's face. In Cass's-camera, Butchie knows Kai kept the faith. In-my-Father's-Word, the Wave lifts them up.

"In Cass's camera, Bill doesn't bump his head on the stairs. In Cass's-camera, as long as he's being stupid, Bill gives Lois a kiss.

"In His-Word-in-Cass's-camera, the Internet is big. Nine-Eleven is big, but not every towel-head is eradicated. In His-Word, We are coming Nine-Eleven-Fourteen.

"In my-Father's-Word, Bill sees how Freddy relaxes. In Cass's-camera, Ramon wants to know who's hungry, in the courtyard and Room Forty-Five.

"In my-Father's-Word-to-come-in-Cass's-camera, Doctor Smith calls Ocean Properties. In Cass's-camera-to-come, my Father stares Not Aleman down, and Freddy sees Bill much-improved.

"You will not note my-Father's-Word, nor remember Cass's-camera, but you will not forget what we did here."

I did not understand most of it but I could not take my eyes off the screen while everything was unfolding.

And did anyone recognize Jennifer Grey as Willie Garson's fiancee? I missed that one. Nice to see Trixie the whore back in Milch's universe. This time, as a hot waitress.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2007 at 10:56 PM by Reuven Malter »
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 09:29 AM »
Looks like this show wasn't meant to be--it's already been cancelled.  :(

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 11:07 PM »
Weirdly enough, despite my bad track record for getting hooked on TV shows that get cancelled, I had a very strong feeling that this was not going to last from the get go.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2007 at 01:29 AM »
Good and bad news, I guess. Bad because I was warming to this show and good because I only have 10 episodes to download. Now maybe Milch has time to do those Deadwood movies.