Author Topic: SEINFELD Seasons 1-9 on DVD!  (Read 3764 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SEINFELD Seasons 1-9 on DVD!
« on: Dec 23, 2003 at 10:18 PM »
Three Stars of 'Seinfeld' Boycott a DVD Deal
By SHARON WAXMAN

Published: December 23, 2003
NYTimes

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 22 — Three of the four leading cast members of the hit television comedy "Seinfeld" are declining to participate in the making of a DVD series of the show because they are unhappy with the related financial deals they have had over the years, people close to the actors and the show said on Monday.

Advertisement

These people said that the three actors — Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who played Elaine; Michael Richards, who played Kramer; and Jason Alexander, who played George — made the joint decision not to give on-camera interviews for the DVD or otherwise participate in it.

Executives at Castle Rock Television, which produced the show for NBC, and Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, which will distribute the DVD, "were only willing to give a small recording fee to the three of them and not a piece of the action," said a representative for one of the actors, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "So they all said, `Why should we make other people richer?' "

Spokesmen for the three actors said they could not be reached for comment on Monday.

A spokeswoman for Jerry Seinfeld said he was disappointed that his three co-stars had decided to sit out the making of the DVD, which will feature extensive interviews with other cast members, writers and producers of the show.

"Jerry has enormous respect for Jason, Julia and Michael, and he had a great experience working with them on the show," said the spokeswoman, Elizabeth Clark. "He hopes they will participate in the DVD." Ms. Clark said Mr. Seinfeld hoped to talk to them after the New Year and persuade them to change their minds.

"Seinfeld," which ran from 1990 to 1998, remains one of the most successful comedy shows in television history and still plays in syndication across much of the country. The DVD of the show would seem destined to sell millions of copies.

The show continues to generate millions of dollars in revenue for its co-creators and executive producers, Mr. Seinfeld and Larry David, though the last original episode was broadcast five years ago. Mr. David did not return calls seeking comment.

The three boycotting actors earn residual payments from the show's reruns, a fee determined by the Screen Actors Guild. A representative for one of the actors estimated the fee at $100,000 a year.

Discontent over the sharing of the "Seinfeld" riches has arisen with Mr. Seinfeld's three co-stars before. In the last few years of the show the actors had sought to become part owners of the show, like Mr. Seinfeld.

They famously sought $1 million an episode for the last year of the show, 1998, in part because they said they thought they had been underpaid for many seasons. They ended up with about $600,000 a show, then a whopping sum for television.

A complicating factor is that "Seinfeld" is now owned by a handful of corporate entities. After the original "Seinfeld" deal was negotiated, Castle Rock Television was bought by Turner Broadcasting, which was bought by Time Warner. This means that Time Warner, Columbia TriStar Television, Castle Rock, Mr. Seinfeld and Mr. David will all take profits from the DVD.

Without the participation of three of the main cast members, the DVD will be significantly less interesting, executives close to the project acknowledged.

"It's never been just about the episodes; it's really about the value added," said Fritz Friedman, a senior vice president at Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment. "That's what takes so much time. That's why so much is up in the air — the concept, the taping, the schedules of people involved. Fans complain if we release bare-bones product. On something like `Seinfeld,' people won't be happy if we just put the episodes on there."

Castle Rock is working on the DVD of the first "Seinfeld" season, aiming to release it in December 2004. Plans call for the eventual release of all nine seasons.

Though taped in Hollywood, "Seinfeld," set in Manhattan, was a quintessentially New York show that contributed a succession of signature phrases and oddball story lines to American popular culture. Everything from Kramer's manic body language to "Yada, yada, yada" to "master of your domain" became fodder for water cooler chat.

Others participating in the making of the DVD expressed disappointment that resentment over money had become a legacy of the show.

Peter Mehlman, a former "Seinfeld" writer, said: "There are so few people who get that chance to be on a show that has that kind of impact. They were so brilliant. We had so much fun while we were doing it. It's kind of sad that they have bad feelings about it."

Preorder from Amazon :

Seinfeld - Seasons 1 & 2  $32.47  (35%), Nov 23.

Seinfeld - Season 3  $32.47  (35%), Nov 23.

Seinfeld Gift Set  $77.97  (35%), Nov 23.
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2007 at 08:53 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
Re:Seinfeld on DVD
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2003 at 10:13 AM »
sayang naman kung hindi mag participate the other guys!

i cant wait for December 2004!

this is the best TV show EVER! :)
I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Seinfeld on DVD
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 11:31 PM »
The best part about the 13 Going on 30 DVD is that when you place it in your DVD player, the first thing you see is the trailer for upcoming the Seinfeld DVD set. They talk about bloopers, retrospective interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, and a lot more!

Didn't give an exact release date, though...  ::)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2004 at 06:34 AM »
hmm. kelan nga kaya?? :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 12:02 AM »
Seasons 1-3 will be released on November 23, 2004!  :)

Here's the official press release:

THE MOST ANTICIPATED TV-TO-DVD OF ALL TIME IS ANYTHING BUT NOTHING!

SEINFELD: THE FIRST THREE SEASONS

"The #1 Show of All Time"** Never Looked So Good All 40 Episodes, Now in High Definition, Available November 23 in Two Individual Volumes or as a Deluxe Gift Set

Approximately 24 Hours of Bonus Features from the Creative Forces Behind the Show Include All-New Documentaries, Interviews and Commentaries with Jerry, Larry David, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Michael Richards and Jason Alexander, Deleted Scenes, Gag Reels and More

Culver City, Calif., August 6, 2004 -- Considered one of the most innovative, popular and successful TV comedy series of all time and now the most anticipated TV-to-DVD ever, Seinfeld, the show about nothing, finally debuts on DVD November 23 - newly enhanced in high definition. Seinfeld will be available from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment in two volumes or as a deluxe holiday Gift Set (not to be "re-gifted"), which includes a limited edition script with handwritten notes from Larry David, exclusive "Monk's Diner" salt & pepper shakers and collectible playing cards. Volumes 1 and 2 will be sold individually at the suggested list price of $49.95 each and the gift set at $119.95.

Seinfeld will look and sound better than ever. To provide the best picture and sound quality possible, Castle Rock Entertainment, which produced the show, returned to the original film elements and spent many months digitally remastering every episode in high definition; the original analog audio tracks went through a similar process. Seinfeld: Volume 1 includes all 18 episodes of seasons one and two on four discs and Seinfeld: Volume 2, also on four discs, includes all 22 episodes from season three. Each volume will be loaded with approximately 12 hours of exclusive special features from the creative talents behind the show, including a full-length documentary, extensive creator, cast and production commentaries, bloopers, deleted scenes, exclusive never-before-seen Jerry Seinfeld stand-up comedy footage and trivia pertinent to each season. Both releases feature the original NBC network versions, 1-2 minutes longer than the syndicated versions and not seen since their original broadcast runs. Additionally, Volume 1 features two versions of the original pilot episode.

Gregory M. Paul, President and Chief Operating Officer of Castle Rock, said, "We are thrilled to see the show looking so terrific in this remarkable new DVD release. I'm confident it will satisfy the show's loyal fans as well as bring in a whole new generation of viewers."

Said Seinfeld executive producer Howard West, "This is something George [Shapiro, also a Seinfeld exec producer] and I never could have imagined when the show began. To have this opportunity to go back, restore the elements, revive Jerry's unused stand-up, bring the talent back to chat about the show and then see the original episodes with high-definition images has been a thrill for all of us. I think we've more than met the challenge of DVD and have made every effort to stay true to the essence of Jerry's unique brand of comedy which has become so deeply a part of mainstream American culture."

Benjamin Feingold, President of Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment noted, "We're delighted to be working with the Castle Rock team and the Seinfeld creators on this DVD release which we expect to become the #1 TV-to-DVD of all time. We're particularly happy for the fans, who have inundated us with an overwhelming number of letters and e-mails in recent years, indicating this is the title for which they've waited the longest."

About Seinfeld

Seinfeld, which aired on NBC for nine years, focuses on four single friends living in New York. At the core of the group is Jerry (Jerry Seinfeld), a stand-up comedian whose professional path includes a shot at creating a network sitcom, a guest spot on the "Today" show, a wealth of other experiences gone awry and a personal life rife with an endless parade of never-quite-right girlfriends. His childhood best friend, George Costanza (Jason Alexander), could be deemed the quintessential loser: he can never hold on to a job or a girlfriend; although he has more than enough schemes for trying to make both happen. Jerry's ex, Elaine Benes (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) offers her own string of bad dates and worrisome workplace sagas. And lastly, there's curiously-coiffed Cosmo Kramer (Michael Richards) -- Jerry's over-the-top, offbeat and often mysterious neighbor, with no visible means of support and an uncanny knack for opening doors to opportunities he has no business being near

One only has to mention Superman or the Soup Nazi, Jujyfruits or Junior Mints, Festivus or Manziers or Low- or Close-Talkers to be reminded of the show's peerless plots, quips and characters. Seinfeld was also noted for coining many phrases that have since come into commonplace usage: "Master of your domain," "Yada, yada, yada," "Sponge-worthy," "Not that there's anything wrong with that," "Double-dipping," "Re-gifting" and "manhands," among countless others.

Seinfeld changed the landscape of TV forever, leaving the air in 1998 as the number one Nielsen-rated show in both comedy and drama. Nominated for an incredible 57 Emmy Awards®, Seinfeld won a total of 13, including Outstanding Comedy Series and Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series. TV Guide ranked it #1 on its list of "50 Greatest Shows of All Time."

The Extra Features

Each Volume contains the following extra features, tailored to the episodes included in the particular set.

1. Inside Looks: Interviews with the cast and creators about what was happening behind the scenes as the episodes were created and filmed.

2. Yada Yada Yada: Audio commentaries from the cast remembering the making of these episodes.

3. In the Vault: Saved from the cutting room floor... deleted scenes - never seen!

4. Not That There's Anything Wrong With That: Never-before-seen-outtakes and bloopers.

5. Master of His Domain: See Jerry in exclusive stand-up comedy footage, shot for the show but never used.

6. Sponsored by Vandelay Industries: Original NBC promotional ads and trailers.

7. Notes About Nothing: Behind-the-scenes scoop and production notes.

Additional features include:

VOLUME 1

1. How It Began: An hour-long look at how Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David first came up with the idea for the show, how it almost didn't get made and how they emerged with the show that changed the face of television forever.

2. Tonight Show Footage

VOLUME 2

Kramer vs. Kramer: Kenny to Cosmo: If you thought Cosmo Kramer was hilarious, wait until you meet the real Kramer, Kenny Kramer!

Seinfeld is produced by Shapiro/West Productions in association with Castle Rock Entertainment, a Time Warner Company. Larry David, George Shapiro and Howard West serve as executive producers of the series. Seinfeld is distributed by Sony Pictures Television.

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment is a Sony Pictures Entertainment company. SPE is a division of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; digital content creation and distribution; worldwide channel investments; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of filmed entertainment in 67 countries. Sony Pictures Entertainment can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.sonypictures.com.
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2004 at 12:02 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: SEINFELD Seasons 1-3: 11/23/2004
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 10:12 AM »
WOW! :o

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 11:30 PM »
Here's the artwork for the two separate boxed sets:

And here's the collector's edition boxed set for all three seasons:

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2004 at 01:15 AM »
Amazon preorder links added to first post.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2004 at 01:43 AM by benny »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2004 at 12:12 AM »
from tvshowsondvd.com

Seinfeld Re-gift set includes Volumes 1 & 2, a limited edition original script with handwritten notes from Larry David, exclusive "Monk's Diner" ceramic salt & pepper shakers with metal napkin dispenser and collectible playing cards!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2004 at 11:06 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 12:09 AM »
I'm almost done with the first boxed set, Seasons 1 & 2.

Wow!

In the future, when DVD boxed sets of television series are created, Seinfeld will be seen as The Gold Standard.

As advertised, every episode has been remastered in High Definition, with nearly perfect picture quality and DD 2.0 sound.

Time was even taken out to create interesting animated on-screen menus, which are very easy to navigate and feature short video clips in virtual recreations of infamous Seinfeld sets: Disc 1 is Jerry's Apartment, 2 is Monk's Diner, 3 is The Chinese Restaurant and 4 is George's Hospital Bed.

For the episodes, many (but not all) have all-new introductions/recollections by cast and crew members, pop-up factoids ("Notes About Nothing"), cast/crew commentaries, and/or deleted scenes. For ease of viewing, Columbia Tri-Star did not forget to include the "Play All" option, frequently missing from series-on-DVD collections.

The additional special features are also numerous, and lengthy. This was the first time I saw a blooper reel that actually had too many bloopers that my attention wandered after the first 10 minutes. There's a documentary on how it all started, NBC's on-air promos, outtakes of Jerry's stand up routines that used to be part of the early episodes, and full-length footage of 2 of Jerry's and 1 of Michael Richards' early appearances on The Tonight Show.

I'm really amazed at how great this collection is. On a scale of 1-10, this is an 11. Seriously, this DVD boxed set is Master of its Domain8)

=====

On to the last 2 episodes and Season Three...
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2004 at 12:11 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 06:49 AM »
wow! lupit naman ni Mr. Hankey, meron na. :)

pictures naman! pati yung mga salt and pepper shakers :)

delikado ba for shipping yung box?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 11:14 AM »
Sorry, I can't help you with an actual picture/shipping info for the "Re-Gift Set", since I got the two separate boxed sets instead. I figured I had no use for the cards and salt/pepper shakers. I learned my lesson from buying the collector's edition of the Spider-Man 2 DVD.

Here's a picture of my first boxed set:

Here's a composite image of the gift set and its contents for you, though, from other online sources:

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 11:23 AM »
ganda ng cases ah! :)

im just wondering how those shakers are packaged. If its inside the box.

I dont blame you about the spidey 2 gift set, i feel harang nga yun.

although im looking forward to this one since its my fav sitcom of all time.  ;D

Offline Ikiru

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2004 at 04:02 PM »
I'm almost done with the first boxed set, Seasons 1 & 2.

Wow!

In the future, when DVD boxed sets of television series are created, Seinfeld will be seen as The Gold Standard.

As advertised, every episode has been remastered in High Definition, with nearly perfect picture quality and DD 2.0 sound.

Time was even taken out to create interesting animated on-screen menus, which are very easy to navigate and feature short video clips in virtual recreations of infamous Seinfeld sets: Disc 1 is Jerry's Apartment, 2 is Monk's Diner, 3 is The Chinese Restaurant and 4 is George's Hospital Bed.

For the episodes, many (but not all) have all-new introductions/recollections by cast and crew members, pop-up factoids ("Notes About Nothing"), cast/crew commentaries, and/or deleted scenes. For ease of viewing, Columbia Tri-Star did not forget to include the "Play All" option, frequently missing from series-on-DVD collections.

The additional special features are also numerous, and lengthy. This was the first time I saw a blooper reel that actually had too many bloopers that my attention wandered after the first 10 minutes. There's a documentary on how it all started, NBC's on-air promos, outtakes of Jerry's stand up routines that used to be part of the early episodes, and full-length footage of 2 of Jerry's and 1 of Michael Richards' early appearances on The Tonight Show.

I'm really amazed at how great this collection is. On a scale of 1-10, this is an 11. Seriously, this DVD boxed set is Master of its Domain8)

=====

On to the last 2 episodes and Season Three...

Kainggit talaga 'tong si Mr. Hankey... :)
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2004 at 06:40 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2004 at 11:53 PM »
I finally finished the Season Three boxed set. Not as many special features, but still a very full package.

I thought George's parents made their appearance in this season. I was wrong. But then, we at least have the introduction of Wayne Knight as Newman.

My hands-down favorite episode from this season was "The Boyfriend". The JFK parody still cracks me up every single time.

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2004 at 09:34 AM »
ahh, the magic spit! hehe. cant wait for my copy!

;D

kasama ba sa first three seasons yung "THE BET"?

kelan na kaya ang next batch ng SEINFELD...

I finally finished the Season Three boxed set. Not as many special features, but still a very full package.

I thought George's parents made their appearance in this season. I was wrong. But then, we at least have the introduction of Wayne Knight as Newman.

My hands-down favorite episode from this season was "The Boyfriend". The JFK parody still cracks me up every single time.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2004 at 01:11 PM »
I'm guessing you mean "The Contest"? Where Jerry was Master of his Domain?  ;D

Wala pa... it's the reason why I can't wait for Season 4 to be announced.

Offline sandman

• Collector
  • All your dreams ... in a fistful of sand.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2004 at 09:28 AM »
Im not exactly a fan of Seinfeld (as Ive only watched only 1 episode), but that specific episode was hilarious.  Im wondering if you might know what season and what episode is this:

The one where George (Alexander) developed a roll of film and after a while came back with pictures of the counter lady in her undies.  Having thought that it was the sales lady's way of flirting with him, he took nude pictures of himself and developed it in the same store only to find out that an African-American man actually developed his roll of film and included his own nude pic in George's pictures!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2004 at 04:07 PM »
Im wondering if you might know what season and what episode is this:

The one where George (Alexander) developed a roll of film and after a while came back with pictures of the counter lady in her undies...

"The Package" from Season 8.  :)

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2004 at 08:06 AM »
actual pics of the gift set.

i havent opened them yet.

will post more pics once i do so. :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2004 at 11:00 AM »
Nice one!

Asar na wala pang Columbia-TV R3 DVDs, ano? Sale na sana ngayon...  ::)

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2004 at 11:05 AM »
i don't think they would look half as good as the R1 if magna releases them locally.
just look at their SATC sets.  >:(

on the other hand, 'let's give credit where credit is due' (quote from Clerks, hehehe), their Shogun release is quite good.  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2004 at 11:06 AM by mongaddi »

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2004 at 07:20 AM »
i like the new slim keepcases that they used for this set.

i hope future dvd releases will be like these. these will help us collectors when it comes to space. :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2004 at 01:38 PM »
i like the new slim keepcases that they used for this set.

i hope future dvd releases will be like these. these will help us collectors when it comes to space.

You said it! The Complete First Season Tru Calling is even better - slim keepcases that are double disc! I didn't think they could fit two discs inside those slim cases:

Offline 96bulls

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Seinfeld Season 4
« Reply #24 on: Jul 30, 2005 at 05:58 PM »
Is it out already?  no other seasons out?  and how much? :)

been waiting for this since last year :)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
Re: Seinfeld Season 4
« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2005 at 08:02 PM »
out already.. May 17, 2005

8)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re: SEINFELD Seasons 1-9 on DVD
« Reply #26 on: Jun 01, 2007 at 08:52 PM »
While Seinfeld Season 8 is scheduled for release this Tuesday, June 5th, Season 9 will be released November 20th of this year.

Full article: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7391

I think I know that guy who broke the news to tvshowsondvd.com.  ;D

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2007 at 09:00 PM by Mr. Hankey »