Author Topic: Picture issues using DVI to HDMI cable with Samsung LCD TV  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Ice Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
My computer is set to send out 720p signal kaso the bottom, top, left, right side of my desktop is cropped out.

To give you an idea I cannot see the taskbar in the bottom even though it is there. I see no "File" but "Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools and Help" at the top part. I see half an icon to the left side.

I'm using a NVidia 6800GT 256MB on a Samsung LA32S71BX display.

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Self Made Young Millionaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Picture issues using DVI to HDMI cable with Samsung LCD TV
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2007 at 06:05 PM »
I encountered same problem already using my Samsung tv before. barrister answered my query already regarding that.

link: http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=25081.msg682984#msg682984

HTH. ;)

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2007 at 06:52 PM »
So the answer's that's that and your only resort is to a VGA connection... bummer

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Self Made Young Millionaire
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2007 at 07:02 PM »
which sucks really...  :'(

People in TPC are having troubles too regarding that.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2007 at 07:06 PM »
I really wish these LCD TVs would have at least two DVI ports. VGA is a technology that is best forgotten.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 03:55 AM »
I have a Samsung LA40R71B (40") connected to a PC (ATI X700 128MB) via VGA.
The same PC is connected via DVI to a 17" LCD.  My manual states, the TV doesn't support
PC input via the HDMI port on the TV, so I just use VGA from the PC.
I use 1360x768@60Hz.

While in PC mode, go to the menu and do a reset, auto-adjust screen or similar.
That might solve the cropping issue, or ask the samsung tech to make other adjustments
thru their service port.

You probably won't notice any difference between HDMI, DVI, VGA on a 40" and smaller
once the TV is color calibrated from your viewing distance.  I connect to the same
TV via 720p/1080i HDMI and 480p Component from a pioneer 490 upscaling DVD player.

VGA or HDMI or component...
it's all the same to me  ;D specially when only f*kes or downloaded stuff go thru the video players.
The small screen (40") makes any difference, if at all, invisible while watching.

I can barely even tell the difference between 480p and 720p/1080i on a 120"  HDMI
projected image via a DCDi/faroudja based upscaling dvd player (OPPO 971h) with orig DVDs,
I'd really have to look closely and pause the picture.

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2007 at 04:08 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline New_comer

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2007 at 05:46 PM »
My computer is set to send out 720p signal kaso the bottom, top, left, right side of my desktop is cropped out.

To give you an idea I cannot see the taskbar in the bottom even though it is there. I see no "File" but "Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools and Help" at the top part. I see half an icon to the left side.

I'm using a NVidia 6800GT 256MB on a Samsung LA32S71BX display.

Same thing with my Skyworth LCD at 720p, the left and bottom parts cannot be seen when I use an HDMI-DVI cable.

I suppose the situation is we are only shown the exact 1280 x 720 pixels that is needed to show 720p movies,  leaving the difference with 1368 x 768 off to the sides and bottom, out of sight. I guess HDMI -dvi connections somehow trigger the LCD panel to set up for movies in a PC environment.

VGA connection makes the panel behave like a regular monitor, allowing the entire screen to be shown, within limits of the allowed resolutions of the graphics card. In my case, the max that I can adjust the panel's resolution is 1280 x 768. If I force the setup to HDMI-like 1280 x 720 via VGA, the display crashes, and I  have to reset everything using my regular monitor first to re-initialize the video card before I can re-connect the LCD TV.

As I've noted in my TV review, there's practically no difference PQ wise between VGA and HDMI, only that in using HDMI, I noticed that the screen stretches up to the full width of the panel, which cannot be replicated in VGA, where narrow black bars appear at the sides instead.

I'll try to take pics of this behaviour.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2007 at 06:09 PM »
VGA = analogue
DVI = digital

I'm forced to use the HDMI because the xbox360 is plugged in via VGA.

the TV's manual states that HDMI cant handle PC resolutions so I guess they werent joking. I just need to look for a hardware VGA switcher then.

Offline crenshaw

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2007 at 07:22 PM »
this is also a concern for me, i intend to watch hd movies through my computer. talaga bang dvi-hdmi lcd is such a problem. hindi ba sya depende sa graphics card?

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2007 at 08:44 PM »
if you're using a 1080p or 1080i display then I do not see scaling as an issue when it comes to PCs that spit out 1080p or 1080i signals.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2007 at 07:51 PM »
Just use the VGA port on the TV with your PC card. 

You won't notice a difference between HDMI and VGA with small screens (ie.  40" and less) from your viewing distance (I don't even notice at 2ft away), just calibrate the color and such for optimum levels.

I use the HDMI port for an pioneer upscaling player (which isn't even used recently, because all my source these days are from internet downloads played thru the PC, displayed on a 40" LCD TV)

There is a color difference between displaying the same source material (ie.  DVD disc) from the PC and from a DVD player...so you need to color calibrate both properly to get it right.

this is also a concern for me, i intend to watch hd movies through my computer. talaga bang dvi-hdmi lcd is such a problem. hindi ba sya depende sa graphics card?
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2007 at 07:53 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2007 at 03:32 PM »
There is a color difference between displaying the same source material (ie.  DVD disc) from the PC and from a DVD player...so you need to color calibrate both properly to get it right.

may i know sir which player gives a better color? the PC or the dvd player?  :)

Offline New_comer

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 10:34 AM »

I don't consider the lost edges to be a problem. I still end up with a great portion of the spectacular HiDef image to enjoy.

I made a rough measurement of the cropped out picture ('dangkal' method to be precise ;) ) to be about 1/14th of the entire width. Height is no problem since every vertical pixel is shown, unless the movie is exactly 16:9, then you lose a bit of the top and bottom. So 1/14th of 1280 pixels is about 90 pixels or 45 pixels are not shown on both sides. For me , it's no big deal... what's left to see is still fantastic.

Unless, of course, I suddenly develop a fetish at looking at edges rather than the center of the movie... ;)

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 10:48 AM »
If you use TV standard settings (without color calibration), the dvd player gives the better color.
Once you color calibrate the TV using the PC as a player, you won't be able to tell the difference  ;D

Offline New_comer

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 10:50 AM »

I'll try to answer this...

A basic video card can render 32 bits of color, or 2^32, roughly 4.3 billion color gradations. The best DVD players can render, at best, 24 bits or 16.8 million color gradations.

How to differentiate between the two is now up to the viewer, that is, if you can actually discern between such minute color differences.  ;)