Author Topic: LCD TV purchase help  (Read 1395 times)

Offline abg73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LCD TV purchase help
« on: Jun 13, 2007 at 02:12 PM »
Im planning to buy a 32" or a 37" LCD TV, but with the many choices and options these days im so confused on what unit to buy.  Furthermore, prices have dropped considerably im at a loss where to buy.

Can you guys help me out on what unit to buy please? Here are my Musts and Wants .

Must:
1) Reputable brand
2) Use for:
    50% Cable tv
    25% DVD movies
    15% Video Games
    10% PC monitor
3) Reasonable Price (Idealy 12 months or more 0%)

Want:
1) PIP w/ 2 tuners
2) 2 or more HDMI cables
3) Reasonable contrast ratio
4) Future proof (at least for the next 3 years)
5) Fast channel surfing

Ill be watching TV around 8 feet away.  Im currently using a 29" crt 

Also, can anybody PM on current 32" and 37" LCD TV prices and where i can buy them.

Thanks in advance....cheers!

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: LCD TV purchase help
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 04:40 PM »
Im planning to buy a 32" or a 37" LCD TV, but with the many choices and options these days im so confused on what unit to buy.  Furthermore, prices have dropped considerably im at a loss where to buy.

Can you guys help me out on what unit to buy please? Here are my Musts and Wants .

Must:
1) Reputable brand

any brand should do as long as its not a china brand

2) Use for:
    50% Cable tv
    25% DVD movies
    15% Video Games
    10% PC monitor

didnt test for cable tv quality..but here are some comments:

samsung is ok in dvd playing but great in HD native signals (hd dvd, xbox 360, ps3, blueray)

toshiba is well rounded (a3000 series) but not good as a monitor as it cant display widescreen pc signals... better than samsung in terms of picture quality on normal dvds in my opinion.

sharp is the balanced one (px5m series) although more expensive than toshiba and samsungs entry level offerings.

3) Reasonable Price (Idealy 12 months or more 0%)

toshiba a3000e 32" 55k 0%
samsung s81 32" around the same
samsung r81 32" 65k 12 months
sharp 32" px5m 65k 12 months with some freebies

Want:
1) PIP w/ 2 tuners
2) 2 or more HDMI cables
5) Fast channel surfing

toshiba has only 1 hdmi cable but is ver 1.3...sharp has 2. samsung has 2 or 3 depending on the model but is ver 1.2 (future proof? we dont know yet if 1.2 is enough as of now)

also if you also want futureproofing... full hd is the way to go but more expensive. who knows...1080 may not stay longer than 5 years even. this may be superseded in a few years...we will never know. an lcd tv should last you more than 3 years for that amount :)

contrast ratio is not that big a deal nowadays since different brands measure differently. audition and decide.

i think only LG has double pip...at the 60k range.

Ill be watching TV around 8 feet away.  Im currently using a 29" crt 

Also, can anybody PM on current 32" and 37" LCD TV prices and where i can buy them.

Thanks in advance....cheers!

WOW! i am in the same predicament also. looking at a 32"er since 37"ers are still way over my budget. i auditioned numerous lcd tvs already and have a budget of 60k. here are my comments.

Offline antikryst

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 04:40 PM »
sorry...wasnt able to use the quotes right. comments inside the quote :)

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 08:50 AM »
Reputable = Panasonic, Sharp, Pioneer, and Samsung  (I got a defective unit, they replaced it). 
I heard Hitachi has a horrible customer support.
On Sony here's my opinion  >:(

50% Cable ...hmmm they say Plasma is better for cable, but because cable is 4:3 and the TV is 16:9, you will display at 4:3 with black bars left and right.  Given enough time, it's possible the black bars will burn-in.  LCD doesn't have this problem though. You'll have to check with plasma owners on this.

Reasonable = nope.  ;D
Check the internet, for prices overseas.
It's expensive here. But it's ultimately to your best interest to still buy it here.

On your wants ;D

1) PIP w/ 2 tuners
----- (not sure why you would want to watch 3 shows at the same time but to each his own)  ;D

2) 2 or more HDMI cables
------ I am guessing 1 for a game console, another for a DVD player...  If you need to buy a set with 1 hdmi only,
component will do the job just fine.  Hard to notice any difference on small screens (40" and less)

------ For better contrast, they say plasma.  I'm totally satisfied with the contrast on an LCD...just need to
calibrate the TV properly.

------ A TV is a TV...whatever you buy now will still do the job 10 years from now  ;D  Even your CRT will do the job 10 years from now. Whatever you buy now, was really created 5 years earlier.  ;D New technologies to watch out for:  LED TVs and OLED TVs.

5) Fast channel surfing
------ No idea here... I only use my TV as a video display unit (DVDs and PC)   ;D

oh and on games... you can't use ordinary light guns on plasma and lcd.  There's an alternative you can purchase on the net, but only good for one player.

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2007 at 09:04 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline Hear_me_shout

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • "Kakisigan ko'y bunga ng isang sumpa"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 03:06 PM »
Hi folks,

I am as well thinking of upgrading my CRT to LCD (32"). How about the other brands? JVC, Philips?  Thanks!

Offline antikryst

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 03:49 PM »
JVC and philips are overpriced here. their entry level models are the same price as midrange offerings from sharp and samsung

Offline Hear_me_shout

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • "Kakisigan ko'y bunga ng isang sumpa"
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 04:02 PM »
JVC and philips are overpriced here. their entry level models are the same price as midrange offerings from sharp and samsung
Thanks bro.  ;)

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2007 at 09:07 AM »

oo nga. sayang, ang ganda pa naman ng performance ng philips, and to some extent ng JVC din. if you look at the price though, medyo mapapaurong ka. for the price kasi of say, the 32"... you can get na a midrange sharp, samsung or toshiba 37".
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av