Author Topic: 32" S81 + Upscale DVD Player Feedback?  (Read 793 times)

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
32" S81 + Upscale DVD Player Feedback?
« on: Jun 14, 2007 at 12:37 PM »
Hi All

looks like im back to my first choice...the S81 due to the toshibas lack of wide screen pc capability. sharp px5m is over what i want to spend on a tv.

my initial problems with the samsungs are that they appear pixellated and edges look jaggy on the dvds and players that i used to demo them. reviews also say this...saying that samsungs shine on hd but are just ok in regular dvd watching due to its scaling capabilities.

so now my question...how is it when a good dvd player is used? any feedback? kindly mention dvd player used as well.

thanks.

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 32" S81 + Upscale DVD Player Feedback?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 02:04 PM »
It depends on the player and on the DVD quality. With my 40" S81 and Pio696, with a viewing distance of approximately 3m, I can only notice pixellation and jaggies with not so good DVD transfers and if using component connection. With upscaling, no complaints so far. With a 32", assuming the same viewing distance and with upscaling DVD, it should look better.

Pixellation was also one of my major issues against LCD's when I was planning to buy a flat panel HDTV. That's why I opted to go for a plasma first because the PQ is smoother and more natural. But when I was forced to shift to LCD and got the S81, it is better than I expected for an LCD.

The PX5M would be a better choice. With a little haggling you may be able to close the price gap within your acceptable level.

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 02:22 PM »
thanks for the feedback :) im also looking at getting the 696 as well

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 05:38 PM »
thanks for the feedback :) im also looking at getting the 696 as well

Check this new Pioneer DVD player. It could be better than the 696.

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=67091.0