Author Topic: X-Box Hdvd add on, Hd dvd player or PS3  (Read 7284 times)

Offline odontek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, bear with me I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
X-Box Hdvd add on, Hd dvd player or PS3
« on: Jun 30, 2007 at 07:35 AM »
HI guys I want to get into HD and was wondering what will be a better move for me, to get an add on for my xbox or just get a dedicated player?
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2007 at 03:24 PM by odontek »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
Re: X-Box Hdvd add on or Hd dvd player
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2007 at 10:13 AM »
I would get the standalone player, The price of A2 is permanently now at 299 usd. I think for at least hundred or more dollars compared to the addon, the difference is already very small. Plus Audio is better for the standalone

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM »
Yep, standalone if you dont care about eating-up an extra space on your HT rack plus you get HDMI out.

But for a lesser investment an add-on will be more practical for you, some members are selling theirs for 6K only why dont you check the B&S section. . .Happy shopping :)

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2007 at 08:58 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the input :) Ok kaya kung PS3 na lang kunin ko, what do you think?

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2007 at 12:54 AM »
hehe . . . ayus!

Bili ka pareho para 'format neutral' you get to enjoy both exclusive HD & BD titles.

dagdag mo na din sa title mo . . . 'or PS3'. :P

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: X-Box Hdvd add on, Hd dvd player or PS3
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2007 at 03:25 PM »
Ayan sir dts_es dinagdag ko na ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2007 at 08:47 PM »
Depending on your budget, preference & available favourite movies.  :)

If gaming isn't a priority & no interest to you then standalone player is the solution.  ;)

If you have plenty spare bullets to shoot then perhaps you may want to consider the safe & "Neutral" path....  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2007 at 08:48 PM by pchin »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 01:07 PM »
If you have confidence in the reliability of your X360, the HD-DVD add-on should suffice.  Be reminded that the add-on is virtually useless if your X360 is 3rld. Yeah, audio quality may not compare with that of standalone, but it's really not that bad.   What's your HT system anyway?

The option to buy a PS3 depends on the movie titles you want to watch.  Matrix or Pirates???  Before buying a PS3, make sure that your monitor has HDMI connector.  I'm not sure but I think the PS3 still has some "HD" issues when connecting through component cable?  Better check on that. 
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2007 at 01:11 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 01:29 PM »
Hi Clondalkin, thanks for the reply whats 3rld? I'm using a rotel RSX-1065 as my AVP with Cobalt JM Labs Focal for speakers. With regards to my TV, its a Pioneer Plasma with HDMI inputs. Can this accommodate HD feeds from the PS3 player. Someones selling a Samsung Blue Ray Player will this be a better bet?

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 01:37 PM »
Before you buy a Xbox... :P :P

Xbox 360 repairs will cost Microsoft $1B

SEATTLE - In another setback for Microsoft Corp.'s unprofitable entertainment and devices division, the company says it is planning to spend at least $1 billion to repair serious problems with its Xbox 360 video game console.

Microsoft declined to detail the problems that have caused an onslaught of "general hardware failures" in recent months but said Thursday it will extend the warranty on the consoles to three years.

The glitches, and the bad publicity, could weigh the company down as it claws for market share in the highly competitive console market. In May, the Xbox 360 ranked No. 2 in unit sales behind Nintendo's Wii, but still beat out Sony's Playstation 3, according to data from NPD Group.

"We don't think we've been getting the job done," said Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, which also makes the Zune digital music player, a distant competitor to Apple Inc.'s powerhouse iPod. "In the past few months, we have been having to make Xbox 360 console repairs at a rate too high for our liking."

Bach said the company made some manufacturing and production changes that he expects will reduce Xbox 360 hardware lockups, but he declined to identify the problems or say which others might remain. Microsoft said it will record a charge of up to $1.15 billion for its fourth fiscal quarter, which ended June 30, to cover the additional costs associated with the warranty extension.

The news comes just days before the video game industry descends on Santa Monica, Calif., for its annual E3 conference, and it could overshadow Microsoft's plans to build buzz for holiday season video game releases and "Halo 3," a much-anticipated shoot-'em-up for the Xbox 360 set to launch in September.

The software maker also said Thursday that sales of the game console fell short of expectations for the fiscal year that just ended.

Matt Rosoff, an analyst at the independent research group Directions on Microsoft, estimates that Microsoft's entertainment and devices division has lost more than $6 billion since 2002.

Microsoft has written down larger amounts in the past — more than $10 billion in the late 1990s related to investments in telecommunications companies, and more than $5 billion related to antitrust issues — but a $1 billion write-down for one division in one quarter is significant.

"It suggests the problem is pretty widespread," Rosoff said.

Microsoft will pay for shipping and repairs for three years, worldwide, for consoles that experience hardware failure, which is usually indicated by three flashing red lights (3rld) on the front of the console, something gamers sometimes refer to as "the red ring of death."

This isn't the first time Microsoft has made changes to the Xbox 360 repair plan. Last December, the company extended the warranty from 90 days to one year for U.S. customers. In Europe, the warranty previously expired after two years.

Microsoft also will reimburse the "small number" of Xbox 360 owners who have paid for shipping and repairs on out-of-warranty consoles, Bach said.

In June, bloggers speculated that the Xbox 360 return problem was getting so severe that the company was running out of "coffins," or special return-shipping boxes Microsoft provides to gamers with dead consoles. "We'll make sure we have plenty of boxes to go back and forth," Bach said in an interview.

Chris Liddell, Microsoft's chief financial officer, said in a conference call that the company sold 11.6 million Xbox 360 consoles since the product's November 2005 launch, missing a target for 12 million units by the end of the fiscal year.

Xbox 360 prices range from $299 to $479, depending on their configuration.

Microsoft's entertainment and devices division reported an operating loss of $315 million on $929 million in sales for the three-month period that ended in March. Microsoft has said it expects the division to post a profit in fiscal 2008.

Microsoft announced the warranty extension after markets closed Thursday. Microsoft shares fell 11 cents to $29.88 in extended trading after falling 3 cents to $29.99 in the regular session.

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2007 at 01:42 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 01:47 PM »
nice gear :) if gaming isn't a big factor go for a standalone w/ analog outs so you can experience hd audio w/o having to upgrade your receiver. pili ka na lang ng format w/c ever side has the most movies you like(or go neutral).

fyi bluray is supported exclusively by Lions Gate, MGM, , Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures and Television, (including Walt Disney Home Entertainment, Hollywood Pictures Home Video, Touchstone Home Entertainment, Miramax Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Dimension Home Video). while hddvd is exclusively backed by Universal, The Weinstein Company and First Look Studios. Paramount and Warner support both formats

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 01:48 PM »
3rld refers to the infamous "3 Red Lights of Death" on the 360, which is usually a signal that your console has conked out. Microsoft just announced a new "3 year warranty from the time of purchase" program for the 360 which covers all repairs and shipping cost, which makes me happy as this basically insures my 360 'til Dec of 2009.

Now back to the topic at hand, If budget is not an issue, I would go for a standalone for an HD DVD player as these guys are dropping in prices recently -- only $100 more than the 360 add-on last I checked -- and would wait for the coming price drop on the PS3 for your Blu-ray player. The reason I picked the PS3 is that it seems to be the most future-proof Blu-ray player out there right now.  (Although I have been hearing good things about the Samsung player and its HQV chip.  I've been reading that it's the best upconverting player out right now.)

Me, I chose the 360 add-on.  HT audio isn't really as important to me right now as video, as I live on a condo unit and can't really "crank the volume up" unless I want to disturb my neighbors, and I got a $100 GC from my air miles card, so I basically just paid $100 for my add-on. Subtracting the $30 cost of the remote and say another $30 for the free King Kong disc, I feel like I just paid $40 for my HD DVD player. It was a no-brainer decision for me. Oh, and if you do decide to get the 360 add-on instead of a standalone, make sure you have the 360 VGA cable. This will be the only way you'll get 1080p output from your HD DVD drive, and the only way to get upconverted DVD playback on your 360. (I heard it's not as good an upconverter as the PS3, but hey, it's better than nothing!)
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 03:44 PM »
actually now is a good time to buy an xbox360 given the three year warranty. The updates for the hd-dvd add on has improved the audio aspect as well.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 04:19 PM »
actually now is a good time to buy an xbox360 given the three year warranty. The updates for the hd-dvd add on has improved the audio aspect as well.

Indeed.  Peace of mind for the next 3 years (assuming your console is unmodded and you have a way to send back to the repair center in case of 3RLD).   Soundwise, hindi na nga pala "bahaw" and add-on drive even without AV amp.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 05:18 PM »
I agree the sound on the addon right now after the latest update is really really good, but actually im not really into the sound bec I just stay in a condo, my tv is in my bedroom and it gets really loud in such a small space. If the sound is too loud it gets kind of scary and irritating especially for my wife hehe..So I always tone down the sound.

But I really think if one can wait till maybe this December (since its already July), maybe the A2 will already be down to 199 bucks. A20 will also be better in pricing Im sure when they lower the A2... I will still get a standalone when the price range is 199 to 299..Right now parang in amazon its A2 is down to 254 dollars, have to double check. Indeed very tempting.. ;D Im sure there will be a holiday pricing war for both sides. ;D

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 09:34 PM »
Problem is where in the Philippines do you ship it to if ever it conks out....
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 06:53 AM »
you can use Johnny air cargo service (great service for me). As I have read from other threads I think it will cost around 6000 pesos for the shipping. To me puede na, around 16 thousand (assuming 199usd by Christmas) for a hd player (all in), I dont know if it includes hdmi cable in the box..

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 07:50 AM »
I think techdude was asking where to ship the 360 if it gets the 3RLD. It's actually a good question, and I'm not sure about the answer. I just assumed that Microsoft would be treating everyone else the same way as they do here in North America (they did say the three year warranty was valid WORLDWIDE) where they send you a prepaid return box via DHL (or whatever courier company), you pack up your 360 and send it back to them, and you get your 360 back. This is how Apple handles their iPod warranties as well, BTW.
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 12:52 PM »
I think techdude was asking where to ship the 360 if it gets the 3RLD. It's actually a good question, and I'm not sure about the answer. I just assumed that Microsoft would be treating everyone else the same way as they do here in North America (they did say the three year warranty was valid WORLDWIDE) where they send you a prepaid return box via DHL (or whatever courier company), you pack up your 360 and send it back to them, and you get your 360 back. This is how Apple handles their iPod warranties as well, BTW.
Yup yup yup sorry I did not see the last two words "conks out"...Hehe..My bad...Maybe back to Data Blitz, or the store where one bought it..But I doubt..

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 01:43 PM »

The 360 is not officially launched in the Philippines so there is no place to send a defective unit locally, I think. 
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2007 at 01:44 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 06:21 PM »
The 360 is not officially launched in the Philippines so there is no place to send a defective unit locally, I think. 

So has anyone have a story to tell whether they have ended up with a busted unit and sucessfully got it repaired by Microsoft?  ??? ??? Paano pag modded pa yun unit?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 08:40 PM »
So has anyone have a story to tell whether they have ended up with a busted unit and sucessfully got it repaired by Microsoft?  ??? ??? Paano pag modded pa yun unit?

In Pinoyxbox, there are some stories of owners returning their 3rld units and getting back new replacement ones (in HK - naka-dalawa na yung isang member - no questions asked from MS HK daw), one getting a refurbished one (in the US), among others.  One Pinoy based locally had to send back his unit sa Canada, and waiting for its return.

Based on some Xbox-related websites, MS seems to be actually repairing some units already, installing additional heatsink.

Unfortunately, for those who got modded units locally, I think they have no choice but to hope that some locally based Pinoys and game shops would be able to find solution to that dreaded hardware problem.  Some guys/hobbyists/gamers are actually working hard to find a sure fix..but nothing absolutely effective yet.  So getting modded units is a very very risky option.  The savings you get from buying 300-peso bootlegged games may not compensate at all for your total losses if your unit conks out.  And there is reason to suspect that some of those modded units are probably "recycled" machines already.

At the moment, the best local source appear to be those 2 members who sell with guaranteed 1-year replacement warranty.   I think those sellers are checking with their sources from China if there would be any changes in their warranty plan, following the recent announcement by MS.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 09:47 PM »
@Clondalkin,

Thanx for the intel. ;) ;) May kilala ako kasi di pa 2 months sira na yung unit at di alam anong gagawin. Will checkout Pinoyxbox... ;D ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 08, 2007 at 12:02 AM »
Assuming the unit is legit, the other issue for locally based Pinoys is to have an address in the country(s) where warranty is honored.  MS would pick-up and deliver to that address kase using their own box (more popularly known as the "coffin").  I understand in Singapore that MS' service counter is just inside a mall.  That's convenient dahil puedeng bitbit and pick-up.  Problem is, I think the service centers would be deluged by repair and reimbursement claims that it would take a little longer for units to be returned, weeks perhaps.  I read somewhere that some defective units received in Singapore and Hongkong were actually repaired in Japan.  Wala kaseng bumibili ng 360 sa Japan so they have the extra resources and facilities to handle the overflow of work-order from other countries in Asia.  ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 08, 2007 at 11:55 AM »
Assuming the unit is legit, the other issue for locally based Pinoys is to have an address in the country(s) where warranty is honored.  MS would pick-up and deliver to that address kase using their own box (more popularly known as the "coffin").  I understand in Singapore that MS' service counter is just inside a mall.  That's convenient dahil puedeng bitbit and pick-up.  Problem is, I think the service centers would be deluged by repair and reimbursement claims that it would take a little longer for units to be returned, weeks perhaps.  I read somewhere that some defective units received in Singapore and Hongkong were actually repaired in Japan.  Wala kaseng bumibili ng 360 sa Japan so they have the extra resources and facilities to handle the overflow of work-order from other countries in Asia.  ;D

Ngii, so kailangan pa ng special delivery to someone living in a warranty honored country.  :P :P  Not everyone will have the time and patience. This would be short of a product recall... Hopefully MS will sort out their quality control and the gaming community faith in their products. :'( :'(
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2007 at 12:04 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 08, 2007 at 02:51 PM »
Ngii, so kailangan pa ng special delivery to someone living in a warranty honored country.  :P :P  Not everyone will have the time and patience. This would be short of a product recall... Hopefully MS will sort out their quality control and the gaming community faith in their products. :'( :'(

Yun nga eh, libre man yung local (express) shipping from the address to the service center, super mahal naman yung international shipping from the Philippines and back (and quite risky of course), unless matatapat na traveller yung magbibitbit sa warranty honored country and assuming the repair process could be finished within the time na the traveller is in that country.

Masalimuot ika nga.