Author Topic: Panasonic 42pv70H Rocks!!!  (Read 179868 times)

Offline edubaret

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Panasonic 42pv70H Rocks!!!
« Reply #1350 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 06:20 AM »
ganito ba talaga sakit ng PV70?  Have experienced the same problem several times already but I thought power flactuation lang but my unit is connected to a UPS which is attached to a surge protector before the wall outlet so it could not have been power flactuation.

First time I experienced the problem was when the unit was around 3 months.  It went off couple of times while watching a tv program.  But recently around 2 months ago, the "powering off" happens more frequently.  Yesterday it happened once and then just this morning another occurrence.  What usually happens is that the tv suddenly turns off and the power led indicator (in red) blinks repeatedly.  What could be wrong? 

Sir Vic, can you please send someone over to check my unit.  My contact numbers: 0921-3494009 and 0916-2575415.  Btw, I bought my unit last January 31, 2008.

ano diagnose sa tv mo?  ano sira? pinalitan ba?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1351 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM »
up for updates naman ..
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1352 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 12:50 PM »
Common TV problem yan. 

It's usually the power board, several defective capacitors have to be replaced.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1353 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 08:20 PM »
Common TV problem yan. 
It's usually the power board, several defective capacitors have to be replaced.
well technically speaking this does not cost a lot, correct me if im wrong barrister  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #1354 on: Sep 29, 2008 at 04:14 PM »
Hi bro,

Nope, no effect on the picture, just an anooying clicking sound na hindi mo mamimiss kahit malakas ang audio.

Francis

Hi Francis,

I made some searches on the web and found this thread,...

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/176039.html

Benedict

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1355 on: Sep 29, 2008 at 05:27 PM »
well technically speaking this does not cost a lot, correct me if im wrong barrister  :)

Repairs lang ng old CRT ang basis ko, ewan ko lang sa plasma.  :( 

Pero mura lang nga yan, kung palit-capacitors lang.  Pero yung ibang service centers, pinapalitan ang buong power board, yun ang medyo mahal.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1356 on: Sep 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM »
Repairs lang ng old CRT ang basis ko, ewan ko lang sa plasma.  :( 
Pero mura lang nga yan, kung palit-capacitors lang.  Pero yung ibang service centers, pinapalitan ang buong power board, yun ang medyo mahal.
at this point its really handy to have a friend who are into these stuff .. :(
too bad my friend already left for abroad .. dati uutusan lang nun yung tito ko bumili ng capacitor sa raon .. tapos konting inuman tapos na .. ;D

ganito ba talaga sakit ng PV70?  Have experienced the same problem several times already but I thought power flactuation lang but my unit is connected to a UPS which is attached to a surge protector before the wall outlet so it could not have been power flactuation.

First time I experienced the problem was when the unit was around 3 months.  It went off couple of times while watching a tv program.  But recently around 2 months ago, the "powering off" happens more frequently.  Yesterday it happened once and then just this morning another occurrence.  What usually happens is that the tv suddenly turns off and the power led indicator (in red) blinks repeatedly.  What could be wrong? 

Sir Vic, can you please send someone over to check my unit.  My contact numbers: 0921-3494009 and 0916-2575415.  Btw, I bought my unit last January 31, 2008.
any updates? ilang buwan nalang remaining warranty bro .. :(
ninjababez online ..

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
Panasonic PV70H Black Levels and Fluctuation (?)
« Reply #1357 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 10:29 PM »
Hi PDVD Folks,

I've had my 50pv70 since May.  Upon bringing the plasma home, since my room is pitch black dark with the blinds closed, I have noticed that the blacks are not as black as I expected them to be (previously using a Wide CRT).  This is similar to Sir Gogo's experience with a higher end Panny http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=60748.msg805657#msg805657.  I sent PM's to PDVD "guru's" using the same model series, and most of them replied that I should not to expect the same black levels even with plasmas - plus work kept me so busy for the last couple of months.  The plasma was then used for daily TV viewing, so I was not conscious on how blacks appear on regular broadcast.   

I have been on leave from work and have been viewing movies lately using the 50pv70 - and have been a bit irked with the black levels.  Moreover, when viewing movies with dark scenes, the black levels (in my case, grayish) have been fluctuating in these scenes.  Sa tagalog, parang "tumitibok" pag dark scenes.  You would notice that all of the blacks are getting lighter/darker at random, including the black top and bottom bars.  This is only evident with dark scenes.

But for brightly lit scenes, the 50PV70 blacks are very ok and colors are crisp and vivid.  Turning on the room lights make this phenomenon not so much noticeable.

Have tried most adjustments possible (brightness, between from dynamic, standard, cinema, factory reset),component and HDMI cables, PS3 and upscaling DVD sources - but to no avail.

Have bumped into Sir Otepsy's post re: black level fluctuation http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=68273.msg789047#msg789047 and it seems that I may have the same experience.  The thing is, perception is very relative and I don't know if I am noticing a valid fault or I am being too critical about it.  I also would like to avoid much trouble of bringing my plasma to my supplier already as it is quite a long drive from my place (Laguna) and the thing barely fits my CUV.

Anybody who owns a PV70 from nearby and would like to give an opinion regarding my TV one of these weekends?  Beer is on me. ;)  Please PM if interested.  Thanks in anticipation.

Offline otepsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
Re: Panasonic PV70H Black Levels and Fluctuation (?)
« Reply #1358 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 10:23 AM »
Hi PDVD Folks,

I've had my 50pv70 since May.  Upon bringing the plasma home, since my room is pitch black dark with the blinds closed, I have noticed that the blacks are not as black as I expected them to be (previously using a Wide CRT).  This is similar to Sir Gogo's experience with a higher end Panny http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=60748.msg805657#msg805657.  I sent PM's to PDVD "guru's" using the same model series, and most of them replied that I should not to expect the same black levels even with plasmas - plus work kept me so busy for the last couple of months.  The plasma was then used for daily TV viewing, so I was not conscious on how blacks appear on regular broadcast.   

I have been on leave from work and have been viewing movies lately using the 50pv70 - and have been a bit irked with the black levels.  Moreover, when viewing movies with dark scenes, the black levels (in my case, grayish) have been fluctuating in these scenes.  Sa tagalog, parang "tumitibok" pag dark scenes.  You would notice that all of the blacks are getting lighter/darker at random, including the black top and bottom bars.  This is only evident with dark scenes.

But for brightly lit scenes, the 50PV70 blacks are very ok and colors are crisp and vivid.  Turning on the room lights make this phenomenon not so much noticeable.

Have tried most adjustments possible (brightness, between from dynamic, standard, cinema, factory reset),component and HDMI cables, PS3 and upscaling DVD sources - but to no avail.

Have bumped into Sir Otepsy's post re: black level fluctuation http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=68273.msg789047#msg789047 and it seems that I may have the same experience.  The thing is, perception is very relative and I don't know if I am noticing a valid fault or I am being too critical about it.  I also would like to avoid much trouble of bringing my plasma to my supplier already as it is quite a long drive from my place (Laguna) and the thing barely fits my CUV.

Anybody who owns a PV70 from nearby and would like to give an opinion regarding my TV one of these weekends?  Beer is on me. ;)  Please PM if interested.  Thanks in anticipation.

Sir ganun yata talaga eh from my experience yung una ko pv70 (yun yung re black level flactuation) i told my seller about it and pinalitan naman kaagad ng bago pv70, nawala na yung flactuations, then ngayon medyo may nakikita na naman ako pero pero hindi kasing lala nung una, hinahayaan ko na lang kasi baka magalit na yung wife ko at dukutin na yung mata ko. hehehe...   pero sa totoo lang meron pa rin yung bagong ipinalit pero hindi kasing worse nung nauna, ewan ko lang pag nacalibrate na, yung first pv70 ko kasi calibrated na sya pero nagflactuate pa rin, pag nacalibrate tong pv70 ko ngayon balitaan kita kung ganun pa rin...

note: mas madalas sa concert dami flactuations.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1359 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 10:28 AM »

Sir ganun yata talaga eh from my experience yung una ko pv70 (yun yung re black level flactuation) i told my seller about it and pinalitan naman kaagad ng bago pv70, nawala na yung flactuations, then ngayon medyo may nakikita na naman ako pero pero hindi kasing lala nung una, hinahayaan ko na lang kasi baka magalit na yung wife ko at dukutin na yung mata ko. hehehe...   pero sa totoo lang meron pa rin yung bagong ipinalit pero hindi kasing worse nung nauna, ewan ko lang pag nacalibrate na, yung first pv70 ko kasi calibrated na sya pero nagflactuate pa rin, pag nacalibrate tong pv70 ko ngayon balitaan kita kung ganun pa rin...

note: mas madalas sa concert dami flactuations.
does this also suggest that, it could be the source thats causing this? or the source triggers this?
ninjababez online ..

Offline otepsy

• Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1360 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 02:33 PM »
does this also suggest that, it could be the source thats causing this? or the source triggers this?

i'm using DV-600.

haven't try it with other player though.

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1361 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 11:34 AM »
@ninjababes,

I suppose in a way source triggers this, as the source dictates the overall "brightness" of the scene.  However, dark scenes are typical for a full length movie so it is inevitable.  In as far as sources, I have tried using 3 different types, a PS3, an upscaling DVD player (Sammy 841?) and a PC - all trying both both component and HDMI.

I have not done in-depth research regarding this, but am speculating the problem may be a cross between an inherent plasma hardware limitation or its adaptive brightness firmware algo implementation (e.g. Panny's AI, Pio's i-Clear).

Or, I may be unlucky to have a marginally bad unit or my eyes are bad ;)

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1362 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 02:02 PM »
guys - ok lang ba upgrade from sammy 32" (32s81) to panny 42" (42pv70h)?

usage: 50% tv/cable viewing; 30% hd/mkv/movie viewing; 20% internet/pc related

thanks.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1363 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 02:36 PM »
I have not done in-depth research regarding this, but am speculating the problem may be a cross between an inherent plasma hardware limitation or its adaptive brightness firmware algo implementation (e.g. Panny's AI, Pio's i-Clear).

Or, I may be unlucky to have a marginally bad unit or my eyes are bad ;)

We had a discussion about Hitachi plasma having a contrast fluctuation issue, and the consensus was that a service menu adjustment would solve the problem:

As promised:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=30831

Hitachi Australia seems to have a fix for the 8800 via service menu.  Page 6 of the linked DTV Forum thread says:

Hey everyone,
Hitachi service agent - Probe - came out tonight and fixed the problem.
All the guy did was get into the service menu (you can find out how to do this from other posts in the forum) and altered service item number 275. The value was 0 and this was changed to 1.

That simple. Seems to have resolved the issue from the brief 5 mins of testing I did afterwards.

Just letting you all know in case some of you who are more adventurous wish to get in and do the change yourself.

Whoever has the service manual can perhaps tell us all what option 275 is?

I have a feeling that a service menu adjustment is the correct solution. 

Contrast fluctuation also happens on Panasonics.  The torture test is on a movie's end credits, where the contrast shift would be most noticeable. 

If it's noticeable only during end credits, then that's normal.  But if it's obvious even during movie scenes, then there really is a contrast fluctuation issue there.

Here's a Panny fluctuation discussion from an Australian site:

I'm not sure if this has been posted / tried before, but the chappies over in the states seem to think they have a solution provided by Panasonic support.

A couple of members over there have tried it and are happy it works.

This is their solution:
Go into the service menu
Enter the SD (screen display menu)
There is a new feature called "letter box" mode which is set to 'off'.

YOu need to set this to 'on'.

Supposedly the "letter box" feature is only present on the 42" models.

Ive just tried it and i 'think it works'.
I'll do some more testing tonight when i have a little more time but so far its looking good, no contrast changes so far

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-televisions/286137-panasonic-black-shift-problem-solution.html

WARNING:

Settings are different for different models.  It even happens that the same models have different service menu settings, depending on the firmware version installed.

Do not attempt to go into the service menu yourself.  Even the service technicians can accidentally mess up the service menu and can fail to get the settings back to normal.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2008 at 02:40 PM by barrister »

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1364 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 06:18 PM »
@barrister

Thanks for the inputs.  I probably need to talk with my supplier regarding this issue.  My unit is still less than a year, so I will not touch the service menu...yet. ;)  It does not happen consistently to end credits (depends on the APL), but happens on dark scenes.

I hope it is just a matter of toggling a register value in the service menu.

This should probably serve as inputs to prospective buyers.  Need to check unit at different viewing conditions and lighting, and if discernible black level shift is acceptable or not.

I checked the link.  No confirmation yet for any PV70 or PX70 users. :(

Again, thanks.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1365 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 09:44 PM »
I checked the link.  No confirmation yet for any PV70 or PX70 users. :(
its a good thing barrister has a talent in doing research .. :)
anyway bro .. i asked my friend who has that same model .. and he told me that he never experienced that .. too bad we couldnt test it cause he's now using a Kuro .. :(
ninjababez online ..

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1366 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 09:45 PM »

thanks.

YES bro sulit na sulit!
but make sure you adjust the dpi settings of youre htpc if youre to use it for browsing  ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1367 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 09:54 PM »
OT question: does the PV8 have this service menu function also?

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1368 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 11:12 PM »
same question po :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline HD_MOVIES

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1369 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 11:49 PM »
@ninjababez
got my 42pv70h.. bro ano ba dapat settings ng DPI? set ba sa 150? and ano advisable resolution.. thanks.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1370 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 12:20 AM »
@ninjababez
got my 42pv70h.. bro ano ba dapat settings ng DPI? set ba sa 150? and ano advisable resolution.. thanks.
are you using a 780g chipset?
if yes, i suggest that you save a profile for 720p scaling, 1080p scaling and a 1024 x 768 for your browsing (better text display) ..
but if you prefer to use the 720p or 1080p settings for your browsing set the DPI to 150 or less .. you can go over 150 but that would be too big ..
however, if youre using a vga connection simply set the resolution to 1280 x 1024 or whatever resolution the video setting is allowing .. you dont have to adjust the dpi if youre using default 4:3 resolutions.. HTH
ninjababez online ..

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #1371 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 12:28 AM »

thanks.

Yes sir, I have a Sammy R8 and the upgrade to plasma was well worth it! Mag PV8 or PV80 na kayo ;)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1372 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 12:48 AM »

Yes, siguradong meron yan.  Kahit nga mga CRT pa, meron din. 

But manufacturers don't publish service menu instructions to ensure that only their authorized technicians can access the service codes.

Offline HD_MOVIES

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1373 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 09:37 AM »
sulit nga from 32" to 42".. ganda! dito ko naappreciate ang diff ng bitrate at resolution sa mga MKV ko.. hehe.. dati sa 32" halos pareparehas lang.. but sa 42 makikita na talaga yung diff..

downside lang talaga is yung texts pero after adjusting the DPI pwede na rin.. pero no match talaga sa LCD..

question ko lang is di nakasagad yung picture when playing movies thru HDMI (half-inch siguro both sides), pero pag TV/Cable, sagad naman.. panu kaya i-adjust to?

tnx.

Offline HD_MOVIES

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1374 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
btw, am using 780g chipset pala for my HTPC.. sa ATI control panel ba i-aadjust yun? or sa tv itself?

tnx.

Offline jay_26

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1375 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 11:05 AM »
btw, am using 780g chipset pala for my HTPC.. sa ATI control panel ba i-aadjust yun? or sa tv itself?

tnx.

Bro sinagot na kita sa kabilang site ah. SA ATI yan bro sa Oversacan settings ata. Screenshots naman diyan ng bago mong TV  ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1376 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 11:06 PM »
here's my answer from tipidpc.com from another guy with the same question:

question ko lang is di nakasagad yung picture when playing movies thru HDMI (half-inch siguro both sides), pero pag TV/Cable, sagad naman.. panu kaya i-adjust to?

nakabili kana pala .. ^_^
anyway, use classic media player .. now once in full screen (while the movie is running) use the following controls ..
num key # 8 and/or 2 - to adjust the height
num key # 6 and/or 4 - to adjust the width
num key # 5 - to put it back on default size

pero the easiest way since youre using pv70 is use the aspect ration zoom 1
this will fill up the whole screen without really zooming .. it will just occupy the whole panel..  ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1377 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 11:07 PM »
Bro kung ATI gamit mong video card naadjust yab. Nakalimutan ko lang kung saan since ala ko sa bahay eh. Sa overscan settings ata. Post ka naman screenhsots! Inggit ako :'(
eto naman sagot ko sayo jay_26  ;D ;D
do this when you want to set your resolution for windows .. :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline HD_MOVIES

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1378 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 11:19 PM »
was able to fill the full screen by enabling overscan in the ATI control panel..

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1379 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 11:31 PM »
was able to fill the full screen by enabling overscan in the ATI control panel..
youre using 780g, right?
to prevent burnin use this while playing movies (for classic media player) ..
num key # 8 and/or 2 - to adjust the height
num key # 6 and/or 4 - to adjust the width
num key # 5 - to put it back on default size

same with kmplayer just hold down ctrl key + the numkeys above ..
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2008 at 11:35 PM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..