Author Topic: Panasonic 42pv70H Rocks!!!  (Read 178725 times)

Offline Dtug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Panasonic 42pv70H Rocks!!!
« on: Jul 09, 2007 at 08:23 PM »

hi guys.  Just wanted to give back something to the people here since i always consult this forum before i make purchase decisions on my audio video set up.

Anyway after months of waiting for the right flat panel to buy,  I finally decided on a panasonic plasma 42pv70H and i couldnt be happier.  LCD was my initial plan but after reading the posts here, I did my own research and decided to switch to plasma. I was apprehensive at first coz i would be mainly using it for dvd and dream tv viewing and i thought an ED unit would be better.  Glad this panny has an excellent upscaler.  I tested with my own dvds including home movies and here are my comments:

dream tv - images kind of soft but no grains and no pixellation.  Zero complaints from my wife and kids who were used to the crt - GOOD

dvd -  using ordinary dvd player (orange) and rca only -  WOW. very nice images. It was sort of hidef already and i was seeing details i didnt notice
before.  Tried the panasonic home theater player with component cables and the picture was even better! Watched An Inconvenient Truth and imax deep sea 3d and was really amazed with the picture quality and detail. EXCELLENT   

home movies (4:3 dvd from dig8) - Again more details were noticable compared to my 29"sony crt.  Kitang kita mga butas sa face ng father in law ko hehe.  This was really a bonus for me coz I thought it wouldn't turn out this nice. VERY GOOD.

PC - haven't tried yet

HIDEF - Am sure this would be excellent as well

For those deciding between plasma and lcd, give this model a serious look.  the model before this (42pv60h) was what i tested coz they didn't have the 42pv70h on display at that time since kakalabas lang.  While i wasnt so satisfied with the picture quality i was just hoping the viera2 engine would be better and luckily it was. The 10,000 contrast ratio really makes a difference. Heat generated by the unit is minimal and its electric consumption is around 34ow. Connections are aplenty 4AV's (3back, 1 front), 2 hdmi, 2 component and pc. Sound is ok and is not "tunog lata".

Overall HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Offline switi

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Panasonic 42pv70H Rocks!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2007 at 09:45 PM »
how much did you shell for it?

I went to abensons and they were willing to give it  for 93k with warranty cash
Went to theaterworks at trinoma and theyre selling it for  90 cash but no panasonic warranty, only in store warranty.

but yes, this panasonic is way much better in pq than samsung lcd or any lcdtv for that matter. at least for my eyes.

time to sell my philips lcdtv and get this one.
yamaha rxv640 PS3 B&W 602 egreat34a wdtv panapv8 and now XTREAMER

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2007 at 12:06 AM »
Congrats for the excellent purchase!  This is probably the best 42" flat panel in the market today.  Only the Pioneer can stand toe-to-toe with this model, except that the Panasonic beats it price-wise.

And thanks for taking the time to give a detailed review.  We will be awaiting your additional comments.

Offline alx

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2007 at 08:41 AM »
@Dtug

how much and where did u get your 42pv70? is d PQ of pv70 far better than pv60?

power consumption of pv70 is 340w??  :o  pv60 is only around 260w...

thanks for the review!!
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2007 at 08:42 AM by alx »

Offline Dtug

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2007 at 01:47 PM »
It's my pleasure guys and thank you also for all those who gave reviews in the past.  Barrister I read all your posts and it was very enlightening :)
I got the unit for 100t cash at avant trinoma with free home theater which is already sufficient for a 2nd set up.  Panasonic warranty was a major consideration for me.

Alx 340w is the ave. as indicated in the manual.  Yup there is quite a difference between the two.  I think vierra2 really got it right.  Dont know if other plasmas or lcd can show an acceptable quality of 12 in 1 p* dvds which I am currently enjoying.  Nice thing with this model is that it continuously adjusts itself to remove pixellation if it occurs such as zoom 3 or the 12 in 1 dvds i mentioned so the picture becomes really better. 

For those still undecided I suggest bringing a p* dvd that is really compressed such as the 12 in 1 and see how the different brands and models rate.  Important thing is to use an ordinary player. 

Every store I went to I would be able to distinguish a hi def input and a regular dvd.  With this model, play an orig dvd and suddenly at first glance you wouldn't be so sure  :)

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2007 at 12:34 AM »
Bro's Try it with PS3 bluray films, grabe...... :o  :o  :o
NAKAKA ADDICT MGA SIR'S! all I can say is Wow!;D

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2007 at 09:22 AM »
not sure if the US model 42px70 is the same as the asian model 42pv70h but this guy in youtube posted his frustration with his panny plasma...dtug do you have an xbox360 you can test this with? im also planning on getting one but will wait for more inputs.......as one of the comments said "its frustrating when you spend this amount of money"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVw_VvFcV1U
Panasonic 42PX70 green ghosting
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2007 at 12:10 PM »
There are 2 artifacts found in all plasma panels: (a) Phosphor Lag and (b) Motion Judder.  They are not defects; they're just caused by the limitations of the present plasma technology.

You have to see them in person and decide for yourself if the artifacts are acceptable to you.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2007 at 12:12 PM by barrister »

Offline aiebo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2007 at 02:43 PM »
played GOW with my samsung 42C91HX plasma.. wala naman akong na experience na green ghosting effect... ???

Offline Dtug

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2007 at 10:21 PM »
Barrister PS3 will be my next project, ipon muna ulit ;D  I can still hold off my itch for a few more months since dvds  especially the original ones or dvd 9's are really so clear on this plasma and sort of hi def na.  Actually am really so amazed with the clarity that I find myself enjoying the picture more than the ae900 projector i have in my main home theater.  Dami kasi details that can be seen.  Para talagang hi def guys, ano pa kaya pag blu ray  :o 

Pekspert nice nick ;D  Sori but dont have an xbox 360.  What i have is a wii and ok naman.  If games are your priority I suggest bringing the xbox to theaterworks at trinoma and try it for yourself.  For me when I started my quest, my priorities were tv programs and dvds.    Glad that this model exceeded my expectation. gud luck.

Offline aiebo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2007 at 01:51 PM »
@dtug,
i assure you bro, mas masisiyahan ka sa bluray films..  ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2007 at 04:27 PM »
Barrister PS3 will be my next project, ipon muna ulit ;D  I can still hold off my itch for a few more months since dvds  especially the original ones or dvd 9's are really so clear on this plasma and sort of hi def na.  Actually am really so amazed with the clarity that I find myself enjoying the picture more than the ae900 projector i have in my main home theater.  Dami kasi details that can be seen.  Para talagang hi def guys, ano pa kaya pag blu ray  :o 

Pag meron na, please tell us about the difference between Standard DVD and Blu ray from a 3-meter viewing distance.  I'm sure Blu ray would be better even at that distance, but I don't think it would be that much better.

Pekspert nice nick ;D  Sori but dont have an xbox 360.  What i have is a wii and ok naman.  If games are your priority I suggest bringing the xbox to theaterworks at trinoma and try it for yourself. 

That's good advice.  You have to see it yourself.  The youtube video is not an accurate representation because it's very likely that the camera used was introducing its own artifacts in the recording.

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2007 at 04:28 PM by barrister »

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 02:18 PM »
Pag meron na, please tell us about the difference between Standard DVD and Blu ray from a 3-meter viewing distance.  I'm sure Blu ray would be better even at that distance, but I don't think it would be that much better.

That's good advice.  You have to see it yourself.  The youtube video is not an accurate representation because it's very likely that the camera used was introducing its own artifacts in the recording.

Sir, malayo po ang blu-ray sa standard dvd. I have Tears of the Sun in R1 & Blu-ray you can see a big diff between the 2 kahit sa 5-6mtrs. Sa R1 less detail makita mo in terms of detail, depth and color, but when you play blu-ray.. naku po, you'll see all the details and the defects of the film, naka lipstick pa nga si bruce kahit nasa gera na! ;D

Feel free to drop by my office and test all the bluray films vs the R1's I have. Halata sa pana lalo na dun sa 65" ;)

Offline batutoy3:16

• Collector
  • Loved By Few, Hated By Many, Respected By All
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 03:26 PM »
Hi guys,

I've decided to get the Panny XXPV70H but Im still undecided whether to get the 37" or 42".
I'm gonna put it beside my bed and the Yammy TSS-15 HTB speakers around it. Will I see a
huge difference in the PQ between a blue ray and a R1 DVD using just the 37"?

Thanks!

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 03:48 PM »
has anyone tried this tv as a computer monitor and for gaming, specifically with a Wii? how does it fare?

thanks!

Offline Dtug

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 05:57 PM »
nemesis and aiebo - naku kaya nga ba lalu akong natutukso e. how much kaya and ps3 sa hk? ;D

barrister - as soon as magkaroon ako for sure ill post my comments here

batutoy - you wont be sorry with either but for a bedroom setup baka a 37" will suffice.  aside from viewing distance
              consider also that the 42" consumes more electricity.  Mas makakatipid ka pa since with a smaller screen
              you can hold off your purchase of blue ray till prices come down since the picture quality of even regular dvd's
              are really excellent.  But if your viewing distance will be around 10ft, go with the 42" 

staind01 - I have a wii and maganda and PQ.  As a monitor sori but havnt tried, takot ako sa burn in e. Panigurado lang ;D

Offline batutoy3:16

• Collector
  • Loved By Few, Hated By Many, Respected By All
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 06:17 PM »
Dtug, 

That's what I'm thinking din but when I eventually switch to blu ray, malaki kya ang pinagiba ng PQ between DVD and BD kapag 37" ung screen? btw, Im thinking of pairing this with Samsung DVD-1080P7 which will upscale to 1080p. Will this be useless coz I read 1080i max lang ung kayang i-display ng Panny although nag-aaccept 'to ng 1080p source?

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 06:58 PM »
sir Dtug,

what Wii games have you tried  on it?

OT, what a fun game console, eh?!  8)

sir Nemesis,

since you use a PS3 for BD viewing via HDMI 1.3, have you tried this TV for gaming? any of the limitations mentioned above?

thx!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 07:52 PM »
Sir, malayo po ang blu-ray sa standard dvd. I have Tears of the Sun in R1 & Blu-ray you can see a big diff between the 2 kahit sa 5-6mtrs. Sa R1 less detail makita mo in terms of detail, depth and color, but when you play blu-ray.. naku po, you'll see all the details and the defects of the film, naka lipstick pa nga si bruce kahit nasa gera na! ;D

Feel free to drop by my office and test all the bluray films vs the R1's I have. Halata sa pana lalo na dun sa 65" ;)

Talaga?  Nakakasabik naman ang mga comments mo, sir Nemesis91 ... Kailangan ko pala talaga makakita ng Blu ray sa plasma!     

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 11:21 PM »
sir Dtug,

what Wii games have you tried  on it?

OT, what a fun game console, eh?!  8)

sir Nemesis,

since you use a PS3 for BD viewing via HDMI 1.3, have you tried this TV for gaming? any of the limitations mentioned above?

thx!

Sir I tried playing at my 65 plasma wala naman akong makita na green effects eh, I think Barrister is right sa kuha ng video cam nya yan. We also tried playing the resistance Fall of man sa 42pv70 and 50pv70 kanina, wala din yung mention above. ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2007 at 11:44 PM by Nemesis91 »

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 11:36 PM »
Hi guys,

I've decided to get the Panny XXPV70H but Im still undecided whether to get the 37" or 42".
I'm gonna put it beside my bed and the Yammy TSS-15 HTB speakers around it. Will I see a
huge difference in the PQ between a blue ray and a R1 DVD using just the 37"?

Thanks!

Sir, sa 32" lang halata na yung difference. Makintab kasi yung color and it looks like a candy when watching films w/it. Lalo na kung game pa ikabit mo. :o
I dont know if you guys have see yung mga demo ng mga chain store, they use HD generators to produce an exteme quality of recorded pictures to make it more eye catching.
Ganun din ang bluray sir, sa ice age 2 you'll see all the details of the CG character... mga mata, lips, fur nila parang totoo. Pasensya na video addict ako eh..hehehe.. ;D

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 11:49 PM »
nemesis and aiebo - naku kaya nga ba lalu akong natutukso e. how much kaya and ps3 sa hk? ;D

barrister - as soon as magkaroon ako for sure ill post my comments here

batutoy - you wont be sorry with either but for a bedroom setup baka a 37" will suffice.  aside from viewing distance
              consider also that the 42" consumes more electricity.  Mas makakatipid ka pa since with a smaller screen
              you can hold off your purchase of blue ray till prices come down since the picture quality of even regular dvd's
              are really excellent.  But if your viewing distance will be around 10ft, go with the 42" 

staind01 - I have a wii and maganda and PQ.  As a monitor sori but havnt tried, takot ako sa burn in e. Panigurado lang ;D

Sir, its better if you order it from the States $499 usd lang w/ free 5 Bluray films na. And its R1, kasi sa HK R3 sila dun and I was able to purchase one and eventually all my R1 bluray films can't play w/the region coding. ;)

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 11:23 AM »
2-tuner PIP ba ang 42pv70?

also, just to be sure, meron syang coaxial cable input (RF), right? di kasi kami naka-Cable box e.

can't find specs for this tv in the net e. i'll search again.

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 11:24 AM »
also, this is how it looks like, right?

o ganito ang stand nya?

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2007 at 11:39 AM by staind01 »

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #24 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 02:37 PM »
2-tuner PIP ba ang 42pv70?

also, just to be sure, meron syang coaxial cable input (RF), right? di kasi kami naka-Cable box e.

can't find specs for this tv in the net e. i'll search again.

click this:

http://panasonic.com.ph/viera/newpdp/th-42pv70h%20specs.htm
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline Dtug

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 03:04 PM »
staind - yup its the one on the bottom.  Also meron coax for cable but no PIP.  This is reserved for
           the 42pv700h which is more expensive.  On the wii i play mostly with sports and wario ware.
           kaka addict talaga ;D ung boxing good enough for exercise kc papawisan ka talaga :D

nemesis - I'm confused.  I read from another post that north america and asia have the same region
           code (A) so blu ray from the US should play on the PS3 from HK.  DVDs are another matter.
           When blue ray is finally launched here what region would it be?  Can u pls clarify this?

batutoy - For sure there will be a difference but am not sure to what extent.  I suggest looking for
           a store where they have blu ray and this model so you can see for yourself.  What Im sure of
           is that you will be amazed with the PQ of this model so much so that blu ray can wait ......
           ........... till December ;D   

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #26 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 03:54 PM »
Sir Dtug saw this model in action last night and very natural yung skin tone. Congrats on your purchase.

click on link for blu-ray region coding

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=45848.0

hope this helps  ;)

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 12:31 PM »
staind - yup its the one on the bottom.  Also meron coax for cable but no PIP.  This is reserved for
           the 42pv700h which is more expensive.  On the wii i play mostly with sports and wario ware.
           kaka addict talaga ;D ung boxing good enough for exercise kc papawisan ka talaga :D

papawisan ka talga sa wii!  ;D galing! try mo yung Fitness sa Wii Sports.  8)

yun lang ba diff. ng pv700 sa pv70, yung 2-tuner PIP? magkano kaya price diff. nila? big help kasi ang PIP e lalo na pag split-screen PIP.

panny calls the pv700 as SDHC Plasma TV while the pv70 as HD Plasma TV. anyone knows the differences?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 11:04 PM »
panny calls the pv700 as SDHC Plasma TV while the pv70 as HD Plasma TV. anyone knows the differences?

The PV700 and the PV70 are both HD plasma TVs.  The difference is that the PV700 has an SD (Secure Digital) memory card slot; the PV70 does not. 

The SD card slot's function is not only for digicam picture viewing -- its most useful purpose is to allow firmware upgrades for the TV via data contained in an SD card.

Panasonic refers to the PV700 line as "SDHC" to emphasize that its SD slot is compatible with the new SD format called SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity, SD 2.0), which allows capacities in excess of 2GB and uses a different memory addressing method.  SDHC card slots are backward-compatible with standard SD cards.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2007 at 11:11 PM by barrister »

Offline Dtug

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 24, 2007 at 09:18 AM »
vtec3 - thanks! it did :)

staind01 - the difference in price is around 25t.  You cant go wrong with either one. good luck ;)

Barrister - would it be ok to play counter srtrike with this unit?  I know surfing should be avoided but are pc games ok?