Author Topic: A fool-proof way of backing up a DVD on dual layer media  (Read 2914 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I want to backup some DVDs but I want to do it using dual layer DVDs. I've done a couple of test burns but all of them failed in that it cannot be read on my dvd player. Only my dvd drive can read it. Do you guys know of any way of doing a backup successfully? I don't want to experiment on different methods because the media is so expensive.

Thanks!

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A fool-proof way of backing up a DVD on dual layer media
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2007 at 11:08 PM »
I use DVDDecrypter. 

1.  Copy DVD files to hard disk.  Mode: ISO Read; Destination: Hard disk folder.
2.  Burn copied files to DVD.  Mode: ISO Write; Destination: DVD Burner.

Recommended disc:  Verbatim Dual Layer +R

Never had a coaster yet.

done a couple of test burns but all of them failed in that it cannot be read on my dvd player. Only my dvd drive can read it.

Seems to me that the problem is disc compatibility.  The burn was successful, but the disc used is not compatible with the standalone player.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2007 at 11:15 PM by barrister »

Offline ericag_ph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2007 at 11:46 AM »
I suggest also  "do not allow files to be added later" when selecting burn options, might help w/ compatibility issues

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2007 at 01:35 PM »
Also, for DVD Decrypter, I think it's sometimes helpful to have the MDS file.

Sometimes, some DVD players will not read the disk but others will. In other cases, you have to put the disk in several times before the player is able to read it correctly.

Finally, you can probably try other disk brands. I've been using TDK (around P120) with no problems but it's not always available. I used Verbatim once and that worked well but it cost me P180. (Does anyone know where I can get it for a lower price?) I used a generic dual layer (around P50) once; perhaps you can use that for your test.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008 at 11:04 PM »
These days, the best burning program is ImgBurn, the latest version is 2.4.1.0, released April 1, 2008.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Intended to continue the development of DVD Decrypter's burning engine, Imgburn is still authored by the venerable Lightning UK, and is still freeware!

An amazing feature allows you to choose and preview layer break positions suggested by the program, so you can choose a layer break that can be even better than the original.  Allows SPLIP (Seamless Playback Linked In PCI) for seamless layer breaks.

It's way more advanced than Nero.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008 at 11:10 PM by barrister »

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008 at 08:22 AM »
Don't forget the Hardware......most of the time, it's the burner itself. :-\

A burner bought a year ago and used extensively can easily burn a single layer disc but may have trouble with the dual layered variety. Do remember that they utilize laser Last year's marketed burners can only burn a speed of 2.4 max as compared to the newer geenration burners which can burn as fast as 8X for DL discs,and it only costs a third of the older generation burners.(1.4K against 4.5K last year)

The newer discs due to the newer dyes utilized may also be not compatible with the older burners, nowadays, the adage "burn slow,burn better" does not apply.

I had 2 coasters because I burned them at 2X speed.

Lastly...the newer softwares are really good, the Imgburn and Nero 7.1(free ones that comes with the pakage) are more than adequate(in fact,the lates nero can detect avi files,and will ask you if you prefer a burn that is compatible with stand alone divx players).

I suggest also  "do not allow files to be added later" when selecting burn options, might help w/ compatibility issues

This only applies to Data burns but not to Image/Iso files. ;)

Offline aremdvna

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 08:14 AM »
Might be a stupid question, but why backup your DVD's when you can just buy a backup bootleg from Quiapo that's on a DVD-9 disk with image nicely printed on disk and have a nicely printed out case insert for about the price you'll pay for a dual layer disk.