Author Topic: bangkok international film festival  (Read 744 times)

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
bangkok international film festival
« on: Jul 13, 2007 at 07:51 PM »
These will be shown:

Manoro

The Bet Collector

Donsol

http://bangkokfilm.org/en/films/film_search.aspx?searchby=country&searchkey=Philippines&searchterm=Philippines

Which ones should I watch?

Offline pink moon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Impetuous! Homeric!
  • Liked:
Re: bangkok international film festival
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2007 at 10:48 PM »
Though I haven't seen the film I would say MANORO only because the director is the most promising working in the Philippines right now. He's definitely the most consistent and quite prolific at that. FOSTER CHILD, his follow-up, which screened at Cannes last month is the most eagerly anticipated Filipino film of the year (it hasn't premiered yet in the country). Mendoza also directed MASAHISTA and KALELDO.

I have seen KUBRADOR and it is quite good actually. I wouldn't say it's his best but that's just my opinion. TUHOG is still my favorite. The majority would say otherwise. This film was the rage last year and it was praised to high heavens by almost everyone. Jeturian of course has established himself as the most acclaimed director working in the Philippines today and often regarded as the rightful successor to Brocka. KUBRADOR is socio-realist in the vein of PILA BALDE, Jeturian's debut, but it's told in real time. I have to mention Gina Pareno's performance because it's exceptional and everyone seems to agree. This is a must see as well.

DONSOL is a moving postcard of a film, no more no less. And when I say "moving" I mean the verb, not the adjective.

The first two films are actually some of the best from the Philippines. You're quite lucky to be able to watch them since only a few Filipinos have seen them. That's because they're not produced by Star Cinema. So do yourself a favor, spread the word, and tell us what you think of these films.   

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2007 at 12:48 AM »
i hope i get a chance to see these films. sobrang daming entries kaya mahirap matiyempuhan ang playdates. ipalalabas din ang "shortbus".

Offline pink moon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Impetuous! Homeric!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2007 at 06:54 AM »
Shortbus? In Thailand? Without cuts?  :o