Author Topic: Digital TV  (Read 1627 times)

Offline bayonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Digital TV
« on: Sep 09, 2007 at 06:40 AM »
ABS-CBN to launch Digital TV .... test broadcasts in Metro Manila to be conducted soon ....

guess this is good news to Flat Panel/HDTV owners.

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view_article.php?article_id=87487

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
Re: Digital TV
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 09:50 AM »
Yun signal lang ang improvement, Cable TV quality lang. Malayo pa yung actual HD quality broadcast... :'( :'( :'(

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 11:32 AM »
relatively near na din naman. ABS-CBN and GMA both plan to roll out digital broadcasts by 2010.

Offline pirate_captain

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 12:33 PM »
The point is do we need to see abs cbn and gma shows in hd quality ?

;D ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 01:13 PM »
At this point, it's not about content. It's about being the first out of the gate with digital transmission. Traditional broadcasting is obsolete and being phased out. Any business worth its value must know that they have to join the bandwagon or lose market share. I've also voiced my misgivings about the move to digital in a third world country where electricity is not even yet available to far flung municipalities. But this really is inevitable.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 02:32 PM »
I’m on the fence with this one. And am totally inept when it comes to the technological implications. (My tech knowhow goes only as far as  the mid1980s.) But if this means that we can not watch HD broadcasts without buying HD TVs then I’m dubious about it . Hell, I can't even buy a new ordinary TV and I have a feeling I'm one of millions in the same boat in  a country where we still can’t (or won’t) even buy original OS, original games, original comicbooks, original CDs.

And regardless of whatever, in the end, at least for me, it boils down to the quality of the shows  - - -as to the broadcasters too since qulity equals advertising equals revenue, even if the signal's crappy. Because when it comes to things like this - - - TV shows, movies,books, comics, games- - -I’m more interested in aesthetic upgrades than yet another technological upgrade. I mean Wowowee on HD isn’t exactly what I'd call an upgrade. Tech as barometer for culture is almost as silly as liking a movie because it sounds good on your home theater speakers.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007 at 02:35 PM by X44 »

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 09:51 AM »
At this point, it's not about content. It's about being the first out of the gate with digital transmission. Traditional broadcasting is obsolete and being phased out.

when i bought my FlatPanelDisplay 3 years ago ... meron na itong Digital TV Tuner .
i'm glad that i may finally have a chance to use it.
although it may not be compatible with whatever standard ABS-CBN will be using... the news item mentioned something about SetTopBoxes ... this may be a digital tuner of some sort
hope it won't be encrypted

let's wait and see

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 07:11 PM »
+1 what X44 said but for another reason: peak oil. The IEA reported that oil would peak by 2010, and other sources already indicate that it already peaked two years ago. In general, a global energy crisis will take place which, coupled with a credit crunch and global warming, will lead to increasing prices for many products (including food, medicine, and petrol) and shortages (esp. fresh water).

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2007 at 03:07 AM »
when i bought my FlatPanelDisplay 3 years ago ... meron na itong Digital TV Tuner .
i'm glad that i may finally have a chance to use it.
although it may not be compatible with whatever standard ABS-CBN will be using... the news item mentioned something about SetTopBoxes ... this may be a digital tuner of some sort
hope it won't be encrypted

you won't be able to use that digital tv tuner coz for sure that's with the american standard, ATSC. we adopted the european standard, DVB. there will be available set top boxes but i doubt there would be component out. technically speaking, it's more about digital transmission than digital content. if you have good reception of gma-7, that's about as clear as you can get with the current content. i mean, they're all still processed at 480i. we can't even get our stereo broadcast right.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2007 at 03:23 AM »
The point is do we need to see abs cbn and gma shows in hd quality ?

;D ;D

Mwahahaw!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2007 at 05:00 AM »
I really would prefer to see cable TV companies going HD digital.  I also don't find anything about local TV broadcast worth going HD.  But going plain digital is another as it is an inevitable technological path to future broadcasting.  Someone has to start it as current analog broadcasts will be obsolete in the next decade. 

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2007 at 06:43 AM »
is it HDTV or digital TV? these are two different things.

What is the difference between DTV and HDTV?

Offline chingko

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2007 at 07:17 AM »