Author Topic: CW's Reaper  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CW's Reaper
« on: Jul 22, 2007 at 05:09 PM »
I've seen the pilot this morning. I didn't know it was directed by Kevin Smith. I enjoyed it very much. It was just a right mix of comedy and horror. My sis who is not into these kinds of shows even finished the entire pilot with me. This is a good vehicle for Bret Harrison after the underrated, The Loop. Ray Wise was a riot!

Throughout Sam's life, he always wondered why his Mom (Allison Hossack, "Falcon Beach") and his dad (Andrew Airlie, "The L Word") was so easy on him whether it was sports, school, or career choices and hard on his brother, Keith (Kyle Switzer, "15/Love") to succeed. Because of it, Sam decides to drop out of college, and takes a dead beat job, waisting most of his time playing video games, wishing he could ask his co-worker Andi (Nikki Reed, "The O.C."; Missy Peregrym will replace her in the actual season) out. Everything changes in Sam's life once he turns 21 and finds out the reason his parents let him get over was because they sold his soul to the devil before he was born. Satan (Ray Wise, "24") explains to Sam that he must serve as his bounty hunter, tracking down souls that have escaped from Hell. Initially Sam refuses to accept his fate but he realizes the grave consequences of breaking a deal with the devil. He is armed with various vessels (i.e. a Dirt mini-vacuum machine) to collect the escapees. Sam finds that the work is dangerous and frightening even with the goof ball help of his friends and fellow slackers, Bert "Sock" Wysocki (Tyler Labine, "Boston Legal"), Ben (Rick Gonzalez, "Coach Carter"), and Sock's former girlfriend, Josie (Valarie Rae Miller, "Dark Angel"). As bizarre as his life becomes, Sam feels good about his new found "missions", removing evil souls from the world and sending them back to where they belong. Along with his friends and his vessel of the week, Sam prepares to face his destiny as the "Reaper".

The series is produced by ABC Television Studio in association with The Mark Gordon Company. It has been given a 13 episode initial order by The CW.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: CW's Reaper
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2007 at 05:27 PM »
Keep the pilot recoms coming bro. Thanks!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2007 at 10:15 PM »
Just finished watching the show. It's very funny! I particularly love the songs used in the show -- most of them are indie pop songs, which I think is awesome!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2007 at 10:29 PM »
It sounds a lot like Dead Like Me, but the Reaper's alive. Is it? If ever, that's a good thing. I really enjoyed that show (which is coming back in a made-for-video movie).

Hey, I was fan of The Loop, as well.  8)

Keep the pilot recoms coming bro. Thanks!

Labas na screener ng The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Apparently, its time frame is such that the series is Terminator 2 1/2.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2007 at 10:36 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2007 at 10:45 PM »
The plot of Reaper is quite similar to this short-lived series Brimstone, which has a strong cult following. The only difference between Reaper and Brimstone is that the "hunter" in Brimstone already died but was sent back by the devil to collect 113 escaped souls. I have the whole 13 episodes, which I haven't seen yet. I think I'll have a look at it this week.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2007 at 10:45 PM »
Yeah, I already "acquired" The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I think I'll watch it tomorrow, hehe.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 02:59 PM »
I didn't like the first episode of the Reaper much. :-\ It's the same characters --- 1) geeky boy without ambition 2) destined for something big 3) with funny best friend  4) with hot girl from work and 5) the token non-American or non-white cast member (that Hispanic guy).

Maybe I'll appreciate it when the rest of the episodes come. And don't take my word for it, I enjoyed Knights of Prosperity a loooot, so that should say somethign about my taste. LOL!

"Chuck" is also out. It's up against Reaper in the scheduling, come September.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 11:16 PM »
My wife and I were having a good laugh at the premise. Parents who are ok with a slacker son because they feel guilty for selling his soul to the devil? Priceless! Parents will surely have a laugh at that particular info alone.

If I'll make a short description of Reaper, it will be Buffy meets Clerks.