Author Topic: My dream theater  (Read 398666 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My dream theater
« on: Jul 28, 2007 at 08:25 PM »
I bought my first audio system in 1970, including a large open reel Sony system, and set it up in my 8 square meter bedroom and study room. Many years after, in 1999, I built my dream home theater. Actually, I built a house but the house was designed around the theater. This theater is quite a bit bigger than my original room - 48 square meters.

I commissioned this painting from a Tanay painter. Tamang tama ang size so that when the screen comes down, tago siya. Tuwang tuwa ako sa kanya until I saw a smaller version in a small hotel in Tagaytay. Paulit ulit lang pala ng painting ang ugali ng painter.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2012 at 06:52 AM by streetsmart »
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: My dream theater
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2007 at 08:32 PM »
I decided it would be fun to post some pictures of my theater on this site, and more important, share my experiences with this fascinating hobby!

This is the entrance to the theater. The door appears to be wood but it is actually steel, for better sound-proofing. Doors and windows are very important because they are a major source of audio leakage, both outwards and inwards.

At the base of the door, I attached one of these "rubber skirts" that provides a further seal between the room and the outside. Malaki ang tulong nya for both sound-proofing and keeping the cool air in. Along the door jamb, I also attached strips of rubber in order to provide a tighter fit, also for purposes of sound-proofing.

You enter through a kind of ante-room. At the right side, you can see the back of the equipment rack. You will note that may takip ang likod ng rack kasi otherwise, ang dami wires at pangit. But naglagay ako ng dami butas sa likod ng rack for ventilation purposes. You will also notice that there is a small space sa likod ng rack so that madali mag-access sa cables. Naglalagay ako usually ng bangko doon pag may aayusin ako. Ang laking bagay ito! Hirap kapag wala ka easy access sa likod ng rack.

On the left, you can see a DVD shelf, cabinets for manuals, tools, etc., the AVR and line conditioner, etc.

For acoustic purposes, the walls of the ante-room are lined with a dark brown corkboard.

Here's a closer look at the AVR and the Furman line conditioner.

Here's a shot of the seating area. You can note that these aren't normal theater seats. It's designed to have get-togethers with friends. Ummm .. inuman actually. May bar nga sa likod. This is a big theater. Ceiling at the rear is 15 feet high. Sa harap is about 10 feet.

The walls and ceiling are actually covered with a 4" layer of fiberglass. Sometimes, workers need to go up sa kisame to work on wiring or the projector support, etc. Kailangan pasuotin mo sila ng long-sleeves at surgical mask kasi ang fiberglass is so fine na pumapasok ang fibers sa pores mo. Kati.

The front part of the theater also has RPG-style diffusers. At the top of the rear portion, may plywood with a matrix of holes, supposedly designed to be a bass trap. All of this acoustic treatment is hidden underneath the fabric.

The flooring is actually granite, with some large area carpets. This is supposed to be a no-no for acoustic treatment because the hard flooring causes unwanted reflections with the ceiling. However, this doesn't seem to be a big problem in my theater, probably because (1) ang dami ring furniture which absorb sound and (2) the ceiling of the front part of the theater is sloping upwards and (3) the ceiling is made of wooden planks with grooves in-between planks.

At the right rear of the theater, you can see the heavy drapes covering a small window. About half a block away from the house is the LRT and without a good window, maririnig talaga ang ugong niya. In order to solve this problem, I had to install a double window, as in one window tapos air gap tapos another window. Now, you can hardly hear the LRT.

Underneath the drapes and also sa tabi ng wall sa right side are 2 aircon units. Usually isa lang ginagamit ko. Kailangan paandarin ang 2 only if there are a lot of people. My problem with the aircons is that kapag may quiet scene sa movie, nadidinig talaga ang fan ng aircon. The best solution is really to have a separate room for the air handling unit and then duct the cool air into the room. In the meantime, naghahanap ako ng mas tahimik na aircon pero wala talaga ako makita.

There is a coffee table and 2 side tables. These are actually designed so that wherever you sit, you have a table close by where you can put your drinks, pulutan ... It's not perfect but it works quite well. When I was building the theater, an architect friend of mine told me that I should have installed a "dumb waiter." Yung maliit na elevator para sa pagkain, kasi ang theater ay nasa 3rd floor. Tumawa ako noon pero ngayon, nakikita ko na tama sya. Hirap mag-akyat ng food sa 3rd floor.

At the top, you can see the Sony VPL-VW100 projector.

Here's a close-up of the sofa and the coffee table. The sofa looks good and is very comfortable ... but it's actually not appropriate. Mataas kasi ang back kaya natatakpan ang ears mo. Dapat medyo low back so that litaw ang ears mo.

Very useful talaga ang table para sa mga remote, pagkain, alak ...  :) Sa ilalim ng table, you can see a portion of my collection of home theater magazines - Home Theater, AV Interiors, Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, etc. I used to buy a lot of these. Nowadays, I never buy a brand-new copy. Palagi yung luma kasi sobra mahal ang bago and you can get a lot more updated information on the web, anyhow.

Closer shot of the La-Z-boy type seats sa harap. Ang sarap talaga matulog dito!  :)

You can also see the baseboard, which is corrugated. The idea was that corrugation helps to diffuse the sound.

In this photo, you can see the pipes which support the projector. They are anchored sa trusses. The ceiling is 15 feet high at this point.

You can also see that the ceiling is made of wooden planks. "Kalantas," which is a soft wood but has grains similar to narra. Looks expensive but it's not. No need for hardwood sa ceiling. I thought that this type of ceiling would enhance the "traditional" look of the theater.

This is actually the entrance to the theater. You can see the front of the equipment rack and some DVD's.

Here's the other shelves for DVD's and CD's. It's actually better na medyo kalat at magulo ang mga DVD at CD cuz that contributes to sound diffusion.

You can also see the side speakers. These are a combination of JBL XPL-160 and JBL XPL-90. Mga vintage speakers pero magaling! Wired sila as dipole. I used to have only the JBL XPL-160 speakers sa side. Akala ko malakas na sya kasi rating nya mga 160 watts. Also, usually mahina naman ang tunog na lumalabas sa side at rear ... until I played Chapter 15 of "Air Force One," when the US fighter jet positions itself at rear of Air Force One and then fires a missile. When the fighter jet moves to the rear, there is a huge roar of its engines coming out of the side speakers ... doon bumigay ang JBL XPL-160, so I decided to add the JBL XPL-90, in parrallel. After that, okay na.

And do you see that round golden thing at the bottom left side? Basurahan yan! Anong akala mo?  :)

At eto yung isa ko pang collection. Actually, d naman ito collection kasi nauubos!  ;D The wine rack sa left is off-the-shelf while the bar on the right is custom-made. Ginamit ko Romblon marble kasi d sya masyado namamantsa. Tapos may CR sa left side with personal ref (para sa beer!) and sink for cleaning glasses. Kaya parang "wet bar" siya. My prized and unique bottle is a Calvados (apple brandy) which is more than 100 years old. Bigay ng friend ko from the French embassy. Meron din akong Chateau Yquem na 1975 - this is a very special dessert wine.

You can also see the big JBL XPL-200 that I use as a rear speaker. Kaparis ng center speaker. Actually, this rear speaker doesn't need to be so big kasi the Denon AVR treats it like a "small" speaker and kaunti lang ang lumalabas sa kanya. However, ano naman gagawin ko sa speaker na ito? Kaya ginawa ko na lang rear sya. Yung nasa ibabaw nya ay maliit na JBL, my previous rear speaker. Iniwan ko na lang kasi kung tanggalin ko, magkakaroon ng butas.

Okay talaga itong vintage na frame. Mura ng coke dati! Did you know that during WWII, Coca-Cola vowed to supply all American GI's with Coke at 5 cents wherever they were? That's why Coke set up around 40 bottling plants around the world during the war, and that's how Coke became international and the most recognized brand name.
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2007 at 12:04 PM by streetsmart »

Offline sanmig_ph

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2007 at 09:02 PM »
wow ganda pare,ang linis din & dami pwede visitor to watch movie.
congrats pare.

He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2007 at 09:21 PM »
Eto ang main speakers. PSB Stratus Goldi. These speakers have received a lot of good reviews. Dati, ang ginamit ko as main speakers were the JBL XPL-200, but by experimentation, I found that the PSB speakers are much better, especially when they are paired with the Aragon 8008BB power amp. Namimili talaga ang speakers na ito sa power amp. With the Bryston power amp, walang dating. You just have to learn by trial and error. Generally, the top-of-the-line PSB speakers have excellent sound but they are not efficient. They need a huge power amp to properly drive them.

This is the center speaker. JBL XPL-200. Has 2 titanium drivers. Vintage na ito pero magaling pa rin. As long as you don't stress the speaker, it can last a very long time.

It's hard to over-emphasize how important the center speaker is cuz that's where the dialogue comes from and for movies, if you strain to understand the dialogue, that is such a bummer. Actually, I originally put the 2 JBL XPL-90 speakers as the center. 90 watts each kaya 180 watts total. Sa laki ng kwarto, bumibigay ang speakers kapag malakas ang volume - lalo na ang kanta ni Charlotte Church na "Danny Boy" sa first DVD niya (Voice of an Angel)! Parang mabibiyak niya ang speakers! Kaya pinalitan ko sila with the big JBL XPL-200 and its been okay since then.

Eto ang sub. Velodyne HGS-15. Luma na pero matindi pa rin! 1250 watts. There must be a reason why Velodyne designed these subs to have so much wattage, but even in my huge room, I don't think I have ever used even half of its power. Boomy masyado ang bass kung laksan mo siya.

Update on 10 Sep 2007: I finally got the big Velodyne to clip. At the end of track 2 of the Peter Gabriel DVD, Growing Up. The whole DVD is just full of heavy bass but this was the heaviest of all. Baka 2 seconds lang pero bumigay din si Velodyne. Maybe I should get an 18".  :)

I think that when you have a home theater with as big a volume as mine, iba ang dating ng sound. Parang small auditorium vs. a tight jazz bar with low ceiling. The problem is that in order to play the system loud (which I like to do), you need really big speakers and power amps ... and you get a big electricity bill!

This is a shot of the typical speaker jacks that I use - banana plugs. As much as possible, I use the type wherein the red and black jacks are hooked together, parang twins. The reason is that kung individual ang jacks and for some reason ay natanggal ang isang jack (maybe because of vibration or nabunggo lang), pwede sya mag-short sa kabilang jack, and then putok ang power amp mo. That actually happened to me once.

I am not a great believer in super expensive interconnects or speaker cables. Basta makapal ang cable at maganda ang fit ng jack and better kung gold-plated ang jack, ok na yun.

Insofar as jacks are concerned, this is my best friend, the Electra contact cleaner. The problem with jacks is that over time, kinakalawang and sometimes, they get loose. That is why every few months, I unplug each speaker cable and interconnect, I clean the jacks with a special cloth, I loosen and tighten speaker cables connecting to the jacks and spray the jacks with the contact cleaner. This ensures that you have good tight connections. It's very tedious - maybe 100 jacks - but I nearly always find at least one or two loose connections, which could seriously degrade your sound if not properly tightened. Furthermore, ang tagal na ng system ko and wala ako kalawang sa mga jacks.
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2007 at 12:06 PM by streetsmart »

Offline almirage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Be Honest In Every Dealings That You Make!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2007 at 09:36 PM »
ganda naman.... :P :P :P :P

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2007 at 09:43 PM »
Here's the projector. Sony VPL-VW100. Has gotten a lot of rave reviews. Deep black levels. Contrast ratio of 15,000:1. Super quiet. Very accurate colors. Etc. Di na ito vintage. Medyo bago pero naluluma na rin. Ang bilis talaga ng technology sa projectors. If I were to buy a pj today, baka yung JVC DLA-HD1 or the new Sony VPL-VW60, na di pa nga lumalabas.

The previous projector was a Barco CRT - yun ang vintage. Madalas na kailangang ayusin ang convergence. And then ang hirap maghanap ng pyesa.

The following pictures have not been retouched. Ang hirap lang talaga to get good screenshots. You have to wait till walang movement.

Malungkot na Kate Winslet sa Titanic

Yung bakla sa Fifth Element

Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge. I love her eyes!

The duke sa Moulin Rouge. Notice the texture of his bushy moustache.

This is from the 5th element. It is interesting cuz it is a shot of a graphing paper, which is quite difficult to properly show sa screen. Manipis kasi ang lines. The projector is able to show even that fine detail.

Eto ung scientist sa 5th element. Dami uka sa mukha.

Leeloo sa 5th element, entering Flostom paradise. Ang ganda ni Milla Jovovich!

I think this screenshot has a little bit of each of the main characteristics of a good projector:
1. Contrast ratio. Ang dilim ng black at ang liwanag ng white.
2. Color saturation. Solid colors. D sya pale.
3. Color accuracy. Skin tone looks accurate.
4. Resolution. Clean lines and good detail.
Of course, the actual image is better than the screenshot, but you get an idea of the pq.

Leeloo again ... Ang ganda ng buhok nya!

I used to take careful notice of how projectors or TVs are able to show individual strands of hair. Now, I am more interested in whether or not I can see eyelashes!

Fifth Element again. I love the colors.

Shot from a Cirque du Soleil DVD. This picture isn't actually great but the problem is the DVD, not the projector. It is a bit soft, as if the camera is out of focus. There is evidence of edge enhancement on the cheek of the girl on the left. Finally, it suffers from the typical problem of these filmed performances, which is that the lighting is not optimized for film but for the stage. Nonetheless, I love Cirque du Soleil!

Another Cirque du Soleil DVD. Look closely to see why I posted this. Kailangan nya services ng Dermstrata.  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010 at 05:43 PM by streetsmart »

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2007 at 10:24 PM »
Sir, you really have an awesome setup and gears... ;D  ;D all I can say is  :o  :o...
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Mr.H

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2007 at 10:46 PM »

WoW!!! :o  Ganda naman!!! :D  Matindiii!!! ;D

Welcome to Pinoy DVD!!!  ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2007 at 07:54 AM by Mr.H »
PMC / SVS PB-12 / Paradigm / Rotel RSX / Vincent CDT/Castle Power LC /Mr.H PowerCords / Emotiva XP-5

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2007 at 10:50 PM »
This is the power amp for the main speakers. Aragon 8008BB. Actually, luma na rin ito but it is very highly regarded. It is built like 2 monoblocks. Before deciding to purchase this, I auditioned 4 big power amps sa theater ko - pinadala ko amps dun. Bryston 4B, a huge Hafler amp, a big Acurus amp and the Aragon 8008BB. I never thought that the difference in sound quality between the amps would be that noticeable. Yet, the Aragon was head and shoulders above all the rest. That's when I realized how important is the power amp in your system.

In this photo, you can see the Aragon 4004 power amp on top - para sa rear speakers - and the DVDO Iscan VP-50 below it. The VP-50 is a video processor that de-interlaces and scales the input signals. In other words, send it a 480i signal and it can output a very good 1080p signal. In addition, it does a lot of other things, such as adjusting the aspect ratio. In combination with the Sony VPL-VW100, the video output is incredible. It's very hard to tell the difference between SD and HD. The VP-50 has a younger brother, the VP-30, which is much cheaper. I suspect that for most people, the VP-30 is practically the same as the VP-50. In any case, wala talaga ako regret with the VP-50. There is no comparison between it and the deinterlacers and upscalers of DVD players, projectors and TV's.

Mapapansin mo rin that the shelf was moved kasi kita ang guhit ng lumang pwesto. When you get new equipment na sobra taba, you need to readjust the shelves. E medyo magulo mag-adjust ng shelves pagka kahoy ang equipment rack mo. Nevertheless, bagay naman ang wooden na rack sa kwarto ko so I accept the hassle. Siguro, 3 beses na ako nag-adjust ng shelves.

At the bottom, you can see the Bryston 3B power amp, which provides the juice for the center speaker. At the top, you can see the Denon AVR-2807, which I use as a processor and pre-amplifier. The Denon 2807 uses the "Audyssey" technology, which acts like a serious audio technician and adjusts the equalization of the various speakers accordingly. "Audyssey" was developed by very prestigious audio experts, including Mr. THX, Tom Holzman. Similar to the DVDO video processor, parang magic talaga ang "Audyssey." It takes into consideration the speakers, the amps, the room, the cables, etc. and then does a fantastic job at equalizing the speakers. Wow talaga! Balance. Soundstage. Bass management. Biglang naging 3-dimensional ang sound. Ang galing!

At the bottom, you can see the CD player. Onkyo DX-7911. High-end pero medyo luma na, though okay pa naman.

On top is the Pioneer DV-696. I like this DVD player cuz it can output a 480i signal through an HDMI cable. Perfect because it sends a raw signal to the video processor, which then handles all the de-interlacing, scaling, etc. Also, the player can read SACD and DVD-Audio. Mura pa!

On top is a high-end S-VHS player. Sony SLV-R1000. Sa baba ay laser disc player. Both are perfect as paper weights.  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2007 at 04:23 PM by streetsmart »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2007 at 11:08 PM »
Thanks to all those who have congratulated me and appreciated my theater. I decided to post these pictures so that I can share my experiences with other Pinoys.

D naman ako super hi-tech guy, audiophile or videophile. But I have been investing a lot of time and effort into this hobby over many years. My theater was built in 1999 but it continues to be improved - of course! Siguro may natuto din ako over that time period, and I want to share that simple knowledge with other Pinoys. Let me gradually share my knowledge with you guys, and maybe some of you can also help me!  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2007 at 08:02 AM by streetsmart »

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 08:27 AM »
Hi Mark,

Very nice pictures. It really shows how HUGE your HT is as well as the top notch equipments you have integrated so far. I was impressed by how good SD is atyour sweetspot, almost walang difference. But when you get closer to the screen HD is still King. Can't wait for your new screen to arrive, mayroon tayong mapaglaruan na naman.

BTW, I got my AVM50 back a couple of days back, sayang ,hindi natin nacompare yung processing nang Gennum at Iscan mo. Will be upgrading to a Statement D2 soon (walang stock daw, have to wait at least a month).

Alvin
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 12:01 PM »

WOOOW!!!! awesome HD theater!!!
Dream theater talaga!
Congrats!!!
 ;D
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 02:59 PM »
Hi Alvin,

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate the video calibration you did on the projector. Ang laki ng improvement.

Wala pa rin ako nakuhang quote for the new screen. Kinukulit ko nga ang supplier.

If you notice, I followed your advice. Isa na lang ang center speaker at tinayo ko siya. I had to re-run the Audyssey of the Denon and yes, the sound quality improved.

Problem is the center speaker blocks the lower part of the screen for 4:3 viewing. But when I get the new screen, itataas ko na lang ang screen kasi may space pa naman. Tapos nilipat ko ang kaparis ng center sa likod kaya lahat ng speakers ay malalaking full-range na.

When you get your Statement D2, punta uli ako sa inyo at pakinggan natin. Next time, dala na ako ng CD at SACD ko.

I am still working on getting the Velodyne SMS-1. I am really intrigued by the reviews. Sana sabay dumating ang screen at SMS-1 para mapaglaruan natin silang dalawa.

By the way, I like it when you say "the top notch equipments you have integrated so far." There's still a lot of room for improvement.  :)

Cheers!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 04:20 PM »
WOOOW!!!! awesome HD theater!!!
Dream theater talaga!
Congrats!!!
 ;D

Thanks, doc. Ok rin set-up mo. Nakakatuwa how you are finding ways to slowly improve it.  :)

Offline keema

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 04:42 PM »
hindi ko makita yung pics.... :(

Offline sight

• Collector
  • _
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 06:20 PM »
Keema,

Yung photo posting kasi is via flickr.com, for some reason restricted ang 'flickr' dito sa'tin. Sayang ang dami pa mandin ditong mga pix na via flickr, hindi tuloy natin makita-kita yung mga gears nila.

:(

Anyway Sir Streetsmart congrats sa HT mo.

SYT
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2007 at 07:11 PM by sight »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 06:33 PM »
Keema,

Yung photo posting kasi is via flickr.com, alam mo naman restricted ang 'flickr' dito sa'tin. Sayang ang dami pa mandin ditong mga pix na via flickr, hindi tuloy natin makita-kita yung mga gears nila.

:(

Anyway Sir Streetsmart congrats sa HT mo.

SYT

Ano suggestion mo na gamitin na wala restriction sa inyo?

Offline sight

• Collector
  • _
  • Liked:
My dream theater
« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 07:11 PM »

Sir,

I hope we don't sound very demanding :)  normally kasi most members, they use photobucket.com or any other online image storage maliban sa flickr.com. Thanks again anyway.

:)

SYT

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 09:24 PM »
very nice theater......

love those vintage speakers.....and those power amps too.....

and of course love those wines as well...herherherherher....... ;D ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 09:24 PM »
Sir,

I hope we don't sound very demanding :)  normally kasi most members, they use photobucket.com or any other online image storage maliban sa flickr.com. Thanks again anyway.

:)

SYT

Ok lang. Nakakatulong nga advice mo. Thanks!

Nilipat ko na lahat ng photo sa photobucket.com.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 09:31 PM »
very nice theater......

love those vintage speakers.....and those power amps too.....

and of course love those wines as well...herherherherher....... ;D ;D

Parang lasingero ka rin, ah ...  :) 

D ako, ha ... Mga friends ko lang.   ;D ;D

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 07:45 AM »
Hi Alvin,

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate the video calibration you did on the projector. Ang laki ng improvement.

Wala pa rin ako nakuhang quote for the new screen. Kinukulit ko nga ang supplier.

If you notice, I followed your advice. Isa na lang ang center speaker at tinayo ko siya. I had to re-run the Audyssey of the Denon and yes, the sound quality improved.

Problem is the center speaker blocks the lower part of the screen for 4:3 viewing. But when I get the new screen, itataas ko na lang ang screen kasi may space pa naman. Tapos nilipat ko ang kaparis ng center sa likod kaya lahat ng speakers ay malalaking full-range na.

When you get your Statement D2, punta uli ako sa inyo at pakinggan natin. Next time, dala na ako ng CD at SACD ko.

I am still working on getting the Velodyne SMS-1. I am really intrigued by the reviews. Sana sabay dumating ang screen at SMS-1 para mapaglaruan natin silang dalawa.

By the way, I like it when you say "the top notch equipments you have integrated so far." There's still a lot of room for improvement.  :)

Cheers!

Hi Mark,

Actually its your fault why I am upgrading to the D2  ;D. Kasi nakita ko how the Audyssey can improve sound so much (dialogue intelligibility) for the center speaker. The D2 will have a proprietary room EQ that will be available soon via firmware upgrade and a software/mic add-on for another 300 bucks. This will not be availbable with the AVM50. Hands down I am satisfied with the AVM50 but a lot of folks in the US swear that the sound quality of the D2 is much better. It is the only pre/pro that I know of that upsamples ALL audio (analog and digital) to 192/24 and process it in the digital domain. I think this will not sway analog buffs to the D2 but they also say that the Anthems are the most tube sounding high end solidstate preamps on the market.

Regarding the center speaker, using 2 MONO speakers will just cause comb filtering especially for people sitting off center because of the different arrival time of the same signal to their ears. Yes, nakita ko nga yung problem sa height nang screen, sa 15ft height nang ceiling mo ay walang problema yan.

I went to  Fully Booked sa Hi Street at the Fort, yes they have a lot of SACD's there but most are Jazz and Classical music. Meron akong nabiling apat but halos pareho lang nang price kapag nag mail order ako sa Hong Kong na mas marami pa rin ang selection.

Alvin
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2007 at 07:48 AM by alvinthx2 »
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #22 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 07:57 AM »
nice setup streetsmart, wish i earn as much as you so i could afford the $7k sony projector and the $2k dvdo upscaler hehe..just wondering who made your theater? was it built when you were also building the house or was it made after? galing kasi ng pagkaktago ng wires. And who made the projector ceiling mount? mukha kasing custom-made
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #23 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 08:02 AM »
what can i say? -- SUPER!!

Sana makanood ako dito... ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline deo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 08:20 AM »
astig pare! Congrats! :) para syang multipurpose hall sa laki!

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 08:48 AM »
Streetsmart,

Very nice setup, I still remember those jbl vintage speakers during the 70's or 80's kaya? These jbl speakers were very popular back then. Back then in the late 70's my father bought me an L100a jbl speakers bookshelf type, it lasted a long time with me until I sold it. I'm impressed with the projector you have. Is that full high definition 1080p? I work in an electonics shop here in Sydney. I think that costs a lot of money here. Anyway more power and happy upgrading with never ending gastos.

Bonjit   

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 08:51 AM »
Thanks, doc. Ok rin set-up mo. Nakakatuwa how you are finding ways to slowly improve it.  :)

thanks bro! sarap siguro manood o makinig ng sounds dyan, at kasama mo sila pareng johnnie w. or jack d. or   
flavored vodka or pag eagles concert....ice cold san mig!!! :P
 ;D
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 09:43 AM »
Hi Mark,

Actually its your fault why I am upgrading to the D2  ;D. Kasi nakita ko how the Audyssey can improve sound so much (dialogue intelligibility) for the center speaker. The D2 will have a proprietary room EQ that will be available soon via firmware upgrade and a software/mic add-on for another 300 bucks. This will not be availbable with the AVM50. Hands down I am satisfied with the AVM50 but a lot of folks in the US swear that the sound quality of the D2 is much better. It is the only pre/pro that I know of that upsamples ALL audio (analog and digital) to 192/24 and process it in the digital domain. I think this will not sway analog buffs to the D2 but they also say that the Anthems are the most tube sounding high end solidstate preamps on the market.

Regarding the center speaker, using 2 MONO speakers will just cause comb filtering especially for people sitting off center because of the different arrival time of the same signal to their ears. Yes, nakita ko nga yung problem sa height nang screen, sa 15ft height nang ceiling mo ay walang problema yan.

I went to  Fully Booked sa Hi Street at the Fort, yes they have a lot of SACD's there but most are Jazz and Classical music. Meron akong nabiling apat but halos pareho lang nang price kapag nag mail order ako sa Hong Kong na mas marami pa rin ang selection.

Alvin

I am happy that you were impressed with the performance of the Audyssey. Actually, any product of Mr. THX himself should be pretty good! I also note that you immediately realized that much of the difference in the sound quality was caused by Audyssey - very balanced sound, 3-dimensional.

The D2 sounds fantastic. Actually, I am a bit familiar with it because I was thinking of getting one last year but I decided that baka di bumagay sa system ko. Baka kung yumaman ako bigla and bumili ng Revel or JMLab high-end speakers, dun na babagay ang D2! Now with your Elac speakers, siguro bagay nga sya.

Cheers, Alvin!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 09:51 AM »
nice setup streetsmart, wish i earn as much as you so i could afford the $7k sony projector and the $2k dvdo upscaler hehe..just wondering who made your theater? was it built when you were also building the house or was it made after? galing kasi ng pagkaktago ng wires. And who made the projector ceiling mount? mukha kasing custom-made

Thanks. Actually mas mahal pa sya dun ... But there is a Sony VPL-VW50 ("Pearl") which is half the price and has also received a lot of good reviews. And the DVDO VP-50 has 2 cousins, the VP-30 and VP-20 which are much cheaper and yet also perform pretty well.

The theater was built at the same time as the house. Ako nagdikta gaano sya kalaki, location nya, etc. Pati floor plan nya, ako rin. Kaya nga lahat ng speaker cable ay nakabaon sa conduit. Ang specs ko lang sa conduits was that never sasaabay ang audio-video cables at electricity line, or at the worst dapat perpendicular.

The ceiling is 15 feet high at the projector kaya nakabitin sya with 4 pipes anchored sa trusses. Pagkatapos may steel plate and on the plate, we mounted the bracket. Ang bracket is actually for a Barco CRT projector kasi yun ang dati kong pj. We just modified it para magamit sa Sony.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 09:59 AM »
Streetsmart,

Very nice setup, I still remember those jbl vintage speakers during the 70's or 80's kaya? These jbl speakers were very popular back then. Back then in the late 70's my father bought me an L100a jbl speakers bookshelf type, it lasted a long time with me until I sold it. I'm impressed with the projector you have. Is that full high definition 1080p? I work in an electonics shop here in Sydney. I think that costs a lot of money here. Anyway more power and happy upgrading with never ending gastos.

Bonjit   

Mga early 90's naman ko sya nabili. Iba ang tunog nya from all the other JBL's at that time. Maybe kasi titanium ang tweeter. You see kung gaano ako katipid? Ang tagal na ng mga speakers at buhay pa rin. Ganda pa ng tunog. That's the beauty about speakers and power amps. They can last a really long time. Other components, well ...

The Sony is full HD, 1080p. It has 3 LCOS chips, which Sony calls SXRD. Sa Pinas, Sony sells big-screen TV's with SXRD but they don't carry this projector. My previous pj lasted many years. I hope I keep this for at least 5 years. Parang kotse.

G'day mate!