Author Topic: Superman R3 dvd rot  (Read 18965 times)

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Superman R3 dvd rot
« on: Oct 07, 2002 at 10:27 PM »
just posting what happened to my superman r3 dvd. when i bought it 6 months ago. it was perfect no problems in playing and the surface was perfect. now after checking my dvds, i noticed that the features side was becoming cloudy. although it still plays, i was surprised that this was happening to the disk. want to know if this is a common occurrence. i will try to have the disc b replaced by warner. funny but my t2 which i had for a year na dvd 18 rin has no similar problems

Offline daigoro

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
Re:Superman R3 dvd rot
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2002 at 11:04 PM »
just checked it and the 3rd documentary doesn't play anymore :-[. out of 300 dvd's, this is the only 1 that this problem happened to any of my discs

Offline Zenki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2002 at 06:40 AM »
hi daigoro, PM me para sabay tayo magpapalit. yun sa akin nag pipixelate na yun movie and yun ibang features ayaw na. naging cloudy na rin yun disc on both sides. papalitan ba ng warner yan?

Dennis

Offline firestorm

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2002 at 10:27 AM »
I have the same problem, it happens in the movie side chapters 24 to 26. Haven't checked the features side that much. But I don't have the receipt anymore so I did not bother trying to change it anymore.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2002 at 11:41 AM »
You can try going direct to the Warner office in Pasig. If I'm not mistaken, several members have successfully exchanged their copies there. By now, they're probably aware of the Superman R3 manufacturing defect which is similar to the problems associated with certain batches of Contact R1. Warner does not attribute such problems to DVD rot but more to quality control issues with some of their contracted manufacturers here in Asia.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline daigoro

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2002 at 01:06 PM »
went to sm fairview yesterday. since i brought the superman disk and there was an astrovision there. i just showed the disk and they replaced it. even though i bought it astrovision megamall and lost the receipt already.
pero, the first disc they showed me was already becoming cloudy and the one i got also has some faint cloudy areas. funny, the disc is only 3 months pa lang sa akin and the cloudiness or delamination suddenly became pronounced.

ps. called warner and they told me to try to have astrovision replace it. maybe you can try it also. the delamination or cloudy area was very pronounced so it was quite obviously a manufacturing defect.

Offline Zenki

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2002 at 08:21 AM »
Astro SM Mla replaced my copy also. they asked for the receipt but told them that i lost it already since i purchased it last january 2002. just told them that i used credit card. they checked their database and found it.   :)

Offline Bacon

• Collector
  • Wassup! Wassup!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 09:24 AM »
Astro mega also replaced mine. I went to Astro mega last Sunday(Nov 30).  I bought my Superman copy 8 months ago.  I was planning to sell my copy then I found out in this discussion na there is a problem with Superman 1 region 3.  Buti na lang I kept pa my receipt, when I entered the shop, yung guard lang ang nagtanong if I have a receipt.  I told the guard na meron but he didnt look at it.  When I showed the saleslady the dvd, she never looked at my receipt din.  Akala ata nila I bought the copy recently lang.  She tested it and I told her that there is a problem with Chapter 24.  She saw the problem. She opened a sealed copy and tested it.  Wala naman problem yung new copy, pnalitan na yung defect copy ko.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 09:37 PM »
Guys, Warner contacted me regarding the defective Superman discs. If you have problems replacing your copy, just bring it to their main office in Pasig along with a formal Letter of Complaint. Address it to:

The Sales Manager
Warner Home Video, Inc.
26/F Wynsum Corporate Center
Emerald Avenue, Ortigas Center
Pasig City, Metro Manila 1605

Include the following details:
  • Place and date of purchase
  • Description of affected area (Chapter, disc damage if any, etc.)
  • DVD player make and model
  • Other details that may help them determine the cause of the playback problem
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

sweetie

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2003 at 01:51 PM »
Haha!!!

i brought my Superman DVD back to astro after 1yr! and they replaced it with a good one. without asking questions...just be sure na sa chapter 24 talaga ang fault!!!

I guess this is a know problem! ;D ;D ;D

Offline trojan7

• Collector
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2003 at 01:04 PM »
Hey guys, are the new manufactured Superman DVD (R3) now without defect? I bought mine last year pa and replaced it with Forrest Gump since all of their (AstroVision SM North) Superman copies have defect.

I just want to know if its safe to buy a new copy na.

^_^x
^_^x

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2003 at 12:53 AM »
patay! i haven't viewed by superman since i bought it last september.  i bettre watch it later.
how can anyone love a pebble in their shoe?

Offline daigoro

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2003 at 01:09 AM »
i replaced mine 2 times. the first replacement went bad after 2 months. the 2nd one is still ok until now. it is really a manufacturing defect. the last batch was unstable.

Offline daigoro

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2003 at 01:18 AM »
on the movie itself, some of the effect are pretty cheesy like the glow in the dark costumes but the flight scenes are far better than that of spiderman swinging through buildings and hulk jumping from one place to another. too much CGI is killing the believability aspect.

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2003 at 05:14 PM »
Having been a Superman fan for many years now, Superman R3 was the very first DVD I bought since my wife and I acquired our first player.   I haven't watched it lately, although I know my daughter watches it every now and then.  Anyway, when I came across this thread, I thought of checking out my copy.  Sadly, the movie started to freeze by Chapter 24 onwards!

Would anybody here know if Astrovision still replaces defective copies or should I now go directly to the Warner office?  Is the new batch still in DVD18 format or is it now pressed on two separate discs?

Since this is the only title I'm aware of with DVD rot, are there are other titles which are affected by this condition?  Does this affect only the DVD18 discs?  I'm worried, kasi I have another dvd in DVD18 format (Les Miserables Concert).

Thanks!!!

rafgar
 :-[

Offline daigoro

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 06, 2003 at 08:05 PM »
rafgar,
depends on your approach, astrovision is aware of the problem so they might they might take your dvd for a replacement. i had mine replaced at a different branch i bought it from.

for dvd 18's, doctor zhivago r3 is another dvd that is affected by this problem. i had to return mine for another dvd as the batch before was defective. for a good dvd 18, the terminator 2 ultimate edition with tin case is a dvd 18 that was also processed by WAMO. mine is still ok even though i got it before my superman r3
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2003 at 08:07 PM by daigoro »

Offline trojan7

• Collector
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2003 at 10:32 AM »
Do Superman R1 DVDs have the same problem?

^_^x
^_^x

Offline Atticus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • In the end, only kindness matters.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 10, 2003 at 02:21 PM »
My copy (which I bought last year) started pixelating 2-3 months ago. When I saw this thread, I went to Astrovision Galleria to replace my copy. But the sale clerks there do not know of such problems and won't  accept it for replacement because I do not have the receipt.

If I bring my copy to the main office of Warner in Pasig, will I get my replacement from them that day or do I have to wait?

Offline MiKeBiBbY

• Collector
  • This is our year...
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 2003 at 02:35 PM »
Do Superman R1 DVDs have the same problem?

^_^x

bought my superman R1 about 4 months ago... so far ok pa naman... both surfaces are still clear... movie and features can still be played.

pawisan pa rin si superman sa screen test, bwehehehe...  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2003 at 02:37 PM by MiKeBiBbY »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 11, 2003 at 12:26 AM »
My copy (which I bought last year) started pixelating 2-3 months ago. When I saw this thread, I went to Astrovision Galleria to replace my copy. But the sale clerks there do not know of such problems and won't  accept it for replacement because I do not have the receipt.

If I bring my copy to the main office of Warner in Pasig, will I get my replacement from them that day or do I have to wait?

i don't think you will have to wait... they'll just test your disc to verify if it is really defective.

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 15, 2003 at 02:07 PM »
i just opened my 10 month-old superman R3 last sunday.  the movie started to freeze from chapter 24 onwards.

thanks to daigoro for giving me warner's address in ortigas center.  

i was able to surrender my copy yesterday, and warner people promised that it will be replaced in about two or three days, as the replacement will be coming (daw) from hongkong pa.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2003 at 02:09 PM by diesel »

Offline stryder

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2003 at 11:09 PM »
Guys, Warner contacted me regarding the defective Superman discs. If you have problems replacing your copy, just bring it to their main office in Pasig along with a formal Letter of Complaint. Address it to:

The Sales Manager
Warner Home Video, Inc.
26/F Wynsum Corporate Center
Emerald Avenue, Ortigas Center
Pasig City, Metro Manila 1605

Include the following details:
  • Place and date of purchase
  • Description of affected area (Chapter, disc damage if any, etc.)
  • DVD player make and model
  • Other details that may help them determine the cause of the playback problem

i just tried by superman tonight and sure enought it just freezes on chapter 24..i have to jump to chapter 26 to continue viewing the movie...do you have an email addy of warner coz ill try 1st contacting them thru email before ill send over my copy for replacement (im from out of town)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2003 at 11:52 PM »
My copy is not playing chapter 24 onwards. I guess I have to bring it to Warner.

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 18, 2003 at 09:06 AM »
My copy is not playing chapter 24 onwards. I guess I have to bring it to Warner.

you can call them up at 6321401 during office hours and look for LISA.  she's the person in-charge of replacing my defective disc.

she texted me yesterday and told me that my replacement is ready for pick up.  i'll get it  on saturday.

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 18, 2003 at 11:39 AM »
you can call them up at 6321401 during office hours and look for LISA.  she's the person in-charge of replacing my defective disc.

she texted me yesterday and told me that my replacement is ready for pick up.  i'll get it  on saturday.

I called up Lisa at Warner Home Video and she told me that I would really have to leave the disc with them first before I can get a replacement.  She would have to give it to their production dept. to have the disc checked.  Pick-up of the replacement will be a week after.

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 19, 2003 at 05:42 PM »
Not wanting to wait for a week to get my replacement from Warner Home Video, I took a chance and called up Astrovision SM City yesterday where I bought the Superman DVD and asked if I can have my defective DVD replaced.  I was able to talk to Tony and he asked me if I still had the receipt.  I told him that I bought the DVD last year, so I don't have the receipt with me anymore.  He initially told me that they only replace DVDs bought during the last seven days.  I then told him that I've read in PinoyDVD that some members were able to have theirs replaced at other Astro branches even after some months and without receipts.  Kaya, in the end, sabi niya na dalhin ko na lang 'yung DVD.

I went there this morning, and unfortunately, Tony wasn't there.  The lady I talked to did not want to give me a replacement and told me to just wait for Tony who will be arriving at around lunch time.  Buti na lang, isang oras lang ang hihintayin ko.  Kaya, namili muna kami ng wife ko at kumain ng lunch.  When I went back to Astro, Tony was already there, and without much questions (since the Astro staff told him that they already checked the disc), he gave me my replacement.

Hay, akala ko di niya ako pagbibigyan!  Sa tingin ko, nakatulong 'yung pag-mention ko ng PinoyDVD.  Kaya, thanks to all of you.  Without this thread, I would not have checked my copy and have it replaced!  Sana wala ng problema sa replacement ko.

Thanks again, guys!

rafgar
 ;D

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 12:12 AM »
I brought my copy to Astro Virra Mall and told them of the problem. I dont have a receipt and I cant remember where and when did I purchase the disc but Im sure its from Astro.They are willing to change it as long as it is the same title but unfortunately they ran out of stock.

Offline daigoro

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 01:04 AM »
rafgar,
did you visually inspect the dvd? playability is not the only way to check if this dvd is ok. my first replacement played well in astrovision but i did notice that it already had signs of dvd rot at that time and true enough, after 2 months, it was bad again. it should look like this

i noticed this problem with dr. zhivago r3 and superman r3 and both of them are dvd 18's. in contrast, my t2 ue r1 is a dvd 18 and has no problems even though i got it earlier.

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 05:58 AM »
rafgar,
did you visually inspect the dvd? playability is not the only way to check if this dvd is ok. my first replacement played well in astrovision but i did notice that it already had signs of dvd rot at that time and true enough, after 2 months, it was bad again. it should look like this

i noticed this problem with dr. zhivago r3 and superman r3 and both of them are dvd 18's. in contrast, my t2 ue r1 is a dvd 18 and has no problems even though i got it earlier.

Yes, I checked my replacement disc and I noticed that the color of the disc surface is a little bit different from my original disc.  While the original disc is silver-colored, the new one is blurry gold-colored and that the shimmer(?) of the disc is uniform.  Hopefully, the new one will not have any future problems.

rafgar

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 12:27 PM »
a little off topic:

how do you test the dr zhivago r3? what chapter does it freeze?

i have this, it was the first batch i think, but i was able to watch it with no problems the first time. di ko lang sure pag play ko now kung ok pa din.

thanks!!
I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.