Author Topic: Astrovision "re-sealed"???  (Read 11600 times)

Offline jackdejesus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Astrovision "re-sealed"???
« Reply #30 on: Sep 21, 2007 at 04:04 PM »
Yup, astro is usually very accomodating in replacing defective items. Good for you bro :)

Offline Toslink

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: Oct 19, 2007 at 12:09 AM »
Yup, astro is usually very accomodating in replacing defective items. Good for you bro :)
Yup dapat lang considering na "brand new" yung item/disc! Pero kahit na, once na re-sealed na at binalik na ng previous buyer, dapat lang na itabi na nila at replace na ng branew! di ba?.... di na nila dapat display ulit at ibenta as branew! iikot ulit yung item... kawawa nman yung buyer, after nya buy open nya sa house nila tapos once na makitang may gasgas balik ulit sa store! re-sealed ulit! ano ba yun lokohan! Some members meron pang strand ng hair plus finger print/s! bnew ba yun! hehehehe think guys!  ;) ;) ;)
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
Samy 78HU9000 w/ SEK-3500 OCB
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #32 on: Oct 19, 2007 at 05:49 AM »
i dont have much time to watch dvds so most of the time they just directly go to the shelves, i dont have time to go back to the store and return them, hastle to fit in my sched., traffic, parking and all. hirap pa mag paalam kay misis na dadaan ka nanaman ng dvd store  ;D and sometimes i just want to buy dvds and not open them (the shrink wrap) for collection purposes but because of experiences as such, im forced to have the sales clerks open them and check for scratches at the store upon purchase.

there are a bunch of dvds i have, opened but not yet viewed.

i also shifted buying dvds at odyssey, so far wala pa naman ako bad experience sa kanila. yun nga lang mas kaunti ang selections ng dvds.
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #33 on: Oct 19, 2007 at 01:50 PM »
When you say reseal, are you referring to the thick crisp plastic shrinkwrap or just the regular soft plastic just like the one's you see in SM doing a demo?

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 06:18 AM »
Actually, we really can't blame them for selling damaged discs/packaging since it may be due to faulty shipping and handling. The good thing is that they honor their warranty on return/exchange of goods.

But if they did it on purpose, well, that's a different story..
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline Paolo123

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 09:28 PM »
Buti na lang ako hindi pako nattiyempuhan. Sa astro plus ako bumibili. San pa ba ok bumili ng DVD? parang me horror experience sa lahat ng DVD retailers dito. Hindi kaya sinasabutahe rin ng mga empleyado nila yung store? baka may galit sa management. yung dvd ang napagbuntunan. hehe

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 10:41 AM »
Just bought yesterday 4 dvds from Astroplus SM Makati. when I was paying at the counter, the saleslady took a cutter and sliced the plastic wrap in one corner of the dvd to take out the security tag which is embedded beneath the title cover. Is this a normal practice of Astro? Takot lang ako baka sa carelessness nung saleslady eh baka mapunit nya yung cover ng dvd ng cutter..

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 10:50 AM »
Just bought yesterday 4 dvds from Astroplus SM Makati. when I was paying at the counter, the saleslady took a cutter and sliced the plastic wrap in one corner of the dvd to take out the security tag which is embedded beneath the title cover. Is this a normal practice of Astro? Takot lang ako baka sa carelessness nung saleslady eh baka mapunit nya yung cover ng dvd ng cutter..

I'm surprised to know they still have that system.  Ang alam ko yun bago is they just "swipe" the DVD on top of a black pad to disengage the security tag.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 10:54 AM »
Maybe they're recycling the security tags?

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 11:14 AM »
Maybe they're recycling the security tags?

Baka nga. I just don't like other people opening my dvds for me.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM »
I'm surprised to know they still have that system.  Ang alam ko yun bago is they just "swipe" the DVD on top of a black pad to disengage the security tag.

that seems to be the practice at most if not all astro branches.  ive seen this practiced by the staff at astro sm san lazaro, sm mla and yep, sm mkati.  it's a good thing the saleslady knows her way around that cutter since the dvds i bought never got nicked.  but still, it always brings a cold sweat whenever they do that. ;D 

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #41 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 01:27 PM »
The most effective way of doing the anti-theft. ;D 

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 03:04 PM »
The most effective way of doing the anti-theft. ;D 

Just like a tracker imbedded beneath your skin... ;D

Offline ranran

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 10:26 AM »
i was able to find the last 2 copies of "Invincible" (Mark Wahlberg) last month at Astro-Podium and saw that it didn't have shrinkwrap instead they used a 'loose' tape as a seal.  i asked the sales lady about it and she said thats the way Viva seals their DVDs these days  :o ::)

anyway, they allowed me to open and inspect the disc before buying it and i did, buti nalang... not a scratch on the disc.  :) :-*

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Apr 11, 2008 at 12:13 AM »
I was at an Astro store last month.  I can't say which but it's one of the stores we all frequent to during sales.  I picked up a DVD title which is the last copy on the shelf.  When I shook it, the DVD inside shook side to side as well.  The saleslady who saw what I was doing knew already what I was doing.  I told her if there's another copy on the back because I don't want to take a risk with this one (the disc might be scratched).  She took the DVD from my hand and went to the back.  Before she did that, she didn't know that I've secretly marked the box by using my fingernail to mark the lower back corner of the box with a small X.  A few minutes later, she emerged with 2 copies.  When I shook both of them, the disc inside don't shake anymore.  Great!  When I looked carefully at one of the box, you guessed it.... it's the one I marked.  Either they have a shrink wrap machine in the back or she possess magic powers which allows her to place the disc to the ring holder without breaking the plastic wrap.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #45 on: Apr 12, 2008 at 11:09 AM »
I bought a copy of Friday the 13th (snapper case) recently from ASTRO Podium and it had so many "rain like" scratches to it. I was baffled because hindi naman nagaalog yung disc when it was sealed.  ???

Oh well, at least it works  :P

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #46 on: Apr 12, 2008 at 11:18 AM »
I was at an Astro store last month.  I can't say which but it's one of the stores we all frequent to during sales.  I picked up a DVD title which is the last copy on the shelf.  When I shook it, the DVD inside shook side to side as well.  The saleslady who saw what I was doing knew already what I was doing.  I told her if there's another copy on the back because I don't want to take a risk with this one (the disc might be scratched).  She took the DVD from my hand and went to the back.  Before she did that, she didn't know that I've secretly marked the box by using my fingernail to mark the lower back corner of the box with a small X.  A few minutes later, she emerged with 2 copies.  When I shook both of them, the disc inside don't shake anymore.  Great!  When I looked carefully at one of the box, you guessed it.... it's the one I marked.  Either they have a shrink wrap machine in the back or she possess magic powers which allows her to place the disc to the ring holder without breaking the plastic wrap.

;D this branch must be a big branch for them to have a shrink wrap machine ;)

...or talent to be able return the disc back in place! either way that still sucks!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 10:06 PM »
;D this branch must be a big branch for them to have a shrink wrap machine ;)

...or talent to be able return the disc back in place! either way that still sucks!

A shrink wrap machine is not a huge contraption machine and it's not that expensive.  It's not even a machine.  I used to work in a store where we shrink wrap items all the time (don't ask which).

A set of shrink wrap set consists of 3 items.  A roll of 2-ply plastic wrap, the cutting board, and a blower.
When you shrink wrap an item, you place it in between the 2-ply plastic wrap and lay it down the cutting board.  The cutting board looks like the ones they sell at National bookstore to cut cardboard, stacks of paper and other office paper products.  The difference is, the blade side heats up to melt the plastic together to seal the item inside the plastic.  Once you have the item sealed inside the plastic bag, you will then use the blower to shrink the plastic to hug the item.  The blower is exactly like the ones they use at water-refilling station to shrink the plastic to seal the cap.  It looks like a hair blower but with a hotter rod inside.

Mystery unveiled....  The shrink wrapped item ends up looking better than factory sealed.  It fools a lot of people.  It takes only 3 minutes to seal an item.  I'm not saying Astro does this, I'm just saying my old job does.  Back then it cost $200 for a set.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM by upinsmoke »

Offline ramsey

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 10:16 AM »
I used to buy at least 2 dvds a month at Astroplus SM Marilao depending on my budget (sometimes limited pa). I didnt bother to check them because they're sealed. After picking up a title I go straight to the cashier for payment. This thread serves as an eye opener for me. From now on, I'll ask the saleslady if she can open the case to check the condition of the disc. Tnx Pinoy DVD. Pero so far di pa ko nakakaencounter  I'll still patronize ASTRO, but I'll be wiser now in buying dvds.

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Apr 24, 2008 at 06:33 PM »
Here's something to think about.  Have you guys tried buying DVDs at Odyssey?  At the counter, they pull out a box cutter to cut open the "sealed" DVD you just bought to pull out the security tag.  I wonder how they got the tag in there?  I saw this happened about 3 several times last year.  I don't know to what extent they do this or if they still do this.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #50 on: Apr 24, 2008 at 07:14 PM »
cant blame them if they do that resealing the dvds for one some customers may request that the dvd be tested before they buy e pano kung pihikan yun customer perfectionist nireject kawawa naman cla kung itatapon lng nila or sell 50% off. its all but natural they will reseal it as for the piracy issue well its wala na tyung magagawa dyan we have to accept the fact that other people find ways to earn money thru imitations.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!