Author Topic: Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!  (Read 21184 times)

Offline NeilNo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!
« on: Aug 21, 2007 at 02:47 AM »
Whoa Breaking News!!! Surprise announcement from Paramount and Dreamworks!!

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation Each Declare Exclusive Support for HD DVD

Movies Distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment Including Paramount
Pictures, DreamWorks Animation SKG, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage,
Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films to be Released Exclusively in HD DVD
Exclusive Program To Begin with Release of "Blades of Glory," Followed by
"Transformers" and "Shrek the Third," Films Representing More Than $1.5
Billion in Combined Worldwide Box Office

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 20 -- Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA and VIA.B) and DreamWorks Animation SKG (NYSE: DWA), each announced today that they will exclusively support the next-generation HD DVD format on a worldwide basis. The exclusive HD DVD commitment will include all movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films, as well as movies from DreamWorks Animation, which are distributed exclusively by Paramount Home Entertainment.

The companies each said that the decision to distribute exclusively in the HD DVD format resulted from an extensive evaluation of current market offerings, which confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD, particularly its market-ready technology and lower manufacturing costs. Paramount Home Entertainment will launch its exclusive HD DVD program with the release of the blockbuster comedy hit "Blades of Glory" on August 28th and follow with two of the biggest grossing movies of the year "Transformers" and "Shrek the Third". These three titles alone represent more than $1.5 billion in box office ticket sales worldwide.

"The combination of Paramount and DreamWorks Animation brings a critical mass of current box office hits to consumers with a line-up of live action and animated films that are perfect for HD DVD," stated Brad Grey, Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, which is currently the leading studio in domestic box office. "Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience. I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

"We decided to release "Shrek the Third" and other DreamWorks Animation titles exclusively on HD DVD because we believe it is the best format to bring high quality home entertainment to a key segment of our audience -- families," stated DreamWorks Animation CEO, Jeffrey Katzenberg. "We believe the combination of this year's low-priced HD DVD players and the commitment to release a significant number of hit titles in the fall makes HD DVD the best way to view movies at home."

With the rapid increase of HD TV screens in households, and audiences wanting to enjoy the total entertainment experience, HD DVD has emerged as the most affordable way for consumers to watch their movies in high definition. In addition to pristine quality, HD DVD also offers consumers the chance to personalize the movie-watching experience, to interact with their movies and even to connect with a community of other fans.

Paramount Home Entertainment will issue new releases day and date as well as catalog titles exclusively on HD DVD. Today's announcement does not include films directed by Steven Spielberg as his films are not exclusive to either format.

source: http://www.viacom.com/NEWS/NewsText.aspx?RID=1042073

Paramount Drops Blu-ray Support; Does Not Include Spielberg Movies

Despite selling more movies on the Blu-ray format, Paramount has announced today that they will begin supporting HD DVD exclusively. This move, rumored to be driven by a $150M exclusivity deal with the HD DVD group, comes after Paramount began favoring Blu-ray releases with higher quality video encodings and more HD features. The deal covers all of Paramount's properties excluding those directed by Steven Spielberg.

The move will inevitably lengthen a format war which should never have been. Consumers will unfortunately suffer the most, as they will be forced to support a format which is being supported by corporations instead of consumers. No word was given as to how long the exclusivity agreement is for, but rumors indicate through 2008.

Source: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=412

These announcements have just changed the format war in a big way! Being format neutral has some some advantages indeed!  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 03:09 AM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 06:11 AM »
While FOX counters Paramounts announcement by reaffirming thier Blu-Ray Exclusivity:

After months of silence, Fox Home Entertainment is planning to issue an announcement later today renewing its support for the Blu-ray format, and outlining the studio's upcoming release plans.

The move comes after this morning's shocking revelation that Paramount and DreamWorks have switched allegiances exclusively to rival HD DVD, news which has left those on all sides of the format war blind-sided.

We've just received official confirmation from Fox today that in response to Paramount's announcement, they are currently fast-tracking a press release reiterating their exclusive support for Blu-ray, as well as providing long-awaited details on their future release plans.

Though Fox (who also distributes MGM titles) was one of the early and most vocal major studio backers of Blu-ray, the studio has largely stepped out of the high-def sweepstakes for the past several months. Neither Fox nor MGM has released nor announced a single Blu-ray title on the format since 'Hoosiers' in early March. They also cancelled a huge slate of planned winter high-def releases, including such hits as 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith,' 'From Hell' and 'Me, Myself & Irene,' which have yet to be rescheduled.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/MGM/Fox/Industry_Forecasts/Disc_Announcements/Fox_Set_to_Renew_Blu-ray_Commitment,_Announce_Future_Release_Plans/875

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 07:27 AM »
Paramount and DreamWorks Animation Each Declare Exclusive Support for HD DVD

Whoa...what a pleasant surprise news! A wonderful news indeed for all HD DVD purists! Phew...Transformers & Shriek 3 will be exclusive to HD DVD...

Well, I guess for all Neutrals this news has no adverse effect.  :) However, Paramount's move will surely prolong the format war (and the agony)... Thus, HD DVD won't go down easily w/out a good fight! 
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 07:30 AM by pchin »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 07:27 AM »
The Paramount news just pulled the rug under my feet.   My first gen HD-A1 just became a happier camper.  The way to go now is neutral.  This war aint coming to an end soon. 

Unless Paramount changes its mind...the closest thing that a Transformer HD title will come to my PS3 is  the downloaded HD trailer......
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 07:32 AM by Munskie »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 07:50 AM »
A  $150 million Microsoft bribe is more like it for the HalfDead DVD format...
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 07:54 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 07:56 AM »
Does this mean all Paramount previous releases in BD will stop and become collectible?

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 07:57 AM »
 News
Sony PR Firm Pushes Paramount HD DVD Payoff
Top public relations agency for Sony's Blu-ray interests tips reporters to blog item after Paramount backs rival HD DVD.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (August 20, 2007) -- Paramount announced today that it's dropping Blu-ray to back HD DVD exclusively in the high-def disc format war.

Soon after the announcement, GCI Group, a Los Angeles-based public relations firm, began calling reporters (including this one) to tell them that a Hollywood news blog was reporting that HD DVD supporters gave Paramount $100 million in "promotional considerations" to dump Blu-ray.

GCI Group represents Sony, the leading supporter of the Blu-ray format, and jointly issues press releases on its behalf on Blu-ray issues.

The blog, "Deadline Hollywood Daily," is written by Nikki Finke of the LA Weekly. Finke also wrote that DreamWorks Animation, which today said it would also support HD DVD exclusively, got $50 million in "promotional considerations."

Finke did not name her sources, say how many they were or even characterize them as coming from a specific company or industry.

Her blog item, which was posted shortly after today's Paramount announcement, also did not elaborate on the "promotional considerations."

It did quote the "sources" as saying the alleged payoff was "really out of desperation" by HD DVD supporters and "a cash grab" by the studios (Paramount and DreamWorks.) Toshiba and Microsoft are the leading supporters of the HD DVD format.

In response to the blog item, the web site Gizmodo asked Paramount for a response and here it is:

"The reason we made this decision is simple. After a year of fully experiencing and exploring both formats, we decided to exclusively support HD DVD because of the quality, value and potential the format offers. Beyond that, whenever we conduct co-marketing, production deals or other agreements, we never discuss business

http://www.tvpredictions.com/bluraypay082007.htm

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 07:59 AM »
Does this mean all Paramount previous releases in BD will stop and become collectible?

Sadly yes, all previous BD releases of Paramount will be discontinued and once the stocks run out, that's it >:(

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:21 AM »

GCI Group, a Los Angeles-based public relations firm, began calling reporters (including this one) to tell them that a Hollywood news blog was reporting that HD DVD supporters gave Paramount $100 million in "promotional considerations" to dump Blu-ray.

Does GCI Group has to go down so low to make a press conference & throw allegations? They can call it Promo consideration, marketing campaign, etc...so what's the fuzz?? Can't they just respect Paramount's decision?

Paramount has already explained its side of the story. It's just a business decision. As simple as that.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:23 AM by pchin »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:22 AM »
Excellent news, and hope other studios follow suit.   ;D  Right from the start, I've never been a fan of a half-baked blu-ray format or a dual format.  But I guess this jumping ship episode of Paramount and Dreamworks will just prolong the format wars. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:23 AM »
Does GCI Group has to go down so low to make a press conference & throw allegations at HD DVD? They can call it Promo consideration, marketing campaign, etc...so what's the fuzz?? Can't they just respect Paramount's decision?

Well, what can you expect?  The CGI Group is the promotions arm of the BR camp. 

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:33 AM »
Well, what can you expect?  The CGI Group is the promotions arm of the BR camp. 

I expect them to do better than that. They should defend & counter attack based on Paramount's explanation:

"The companies each said that the decision to distribute exclusively in the HD DVD format resulted from an extensive evaluation of current market offerings, which confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD, particularly its market-ready technology and lower manufacturing costs."

Other studios may follow Paramount's foot step. Well, for starters they should reinstate & justify why BD is still the best HD format in term of quality, value, etc...not just by throwing out low & cheap blow noh?
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:37 AM by pchin »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:38 AM »
BDA Responds to Paramounts Decision

In response to Paramount's decision to exclusively support HD DVD, Andy Parsons, Chairman, Blu-ray Disc Association US Promotions Committee had this to say: "The decision seems oddly timed given Blu-ray's tremendous momentum both with consumers and with retail. Blu-ray title sales continue to outpace HD-DVD sales by nearly a 2 to 1 margin, and major retailers have expressed a strong preference for Blu-ray. Moreover, the price delta between HD DVD and Blu-ray players has been greatly reduced in the past few months, a trend that is on its way to eliminating any perceived cost advantage the HD DVD format has claimed to have. Under these circumstances, we can only imagine what could have enticed them to walk away from a format that is clearly selling significantly more software than the ailing HD-DVD format."

Source

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:41 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:42 AM »
Call it a bribe or not, HD DVD aint going anywhere anytime soon.  I may have supported the HD DVD exclusively at first, but my love for movies and preference for watching them in high definition ultimately led me to adopt both format. 

If you have adopted and can afford it (Im pretty sure some can), going neutral is the way to go....and is better than feeling shortchanged and b**chin about how Paramount have betrayed Blu-ray.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:04 AM by Munskie »

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:46 AM »
So one side can give "incentives" and get away with it while another cannot?  ::) It was a fact that Paramount was intially hd dvd exclusive.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:47 AM by john5479 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:50 AM »
I expect them to do better than that. They should defend & counter attack based on Paramount's explanation:

"The companies each said that the decision to distribute exclusively in the HD DVD format resulted from an extensive evaluation of current market offerings, which confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD, particularly its market-ready technology and lower manufacturing costs."

Other studios may follow Paramount's foot step. Well, for starters they should reinstate & justify why BD is still the best HD format in term of quality, value, etc...not just by throwing out low & cheap blow noh?

I agree.  And I don't recall the Toshiba camp responding with BR bribes when Target and Blockbuster announced exclusivity to BR.  But that's Sony et al for you.  All this talk about MS bribes to the tune of $150M are all unsubstantiated anyway.  Amirm at AVSforum have denied these allegations.  Ofcourse.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:52 AM »
Call it a bribe or not, HD DVD aint going anywhere anytime soon.  I may have supported the HD DVD exclusively at first, but my love for movies and preference for watching them in high definition ultimately led me to adopt both format. 

If you have adopted and can afford it (Im pretty sure some can), going neutral is the way to go....and its better than feeling shortchanged and b**chin about how Paramount have betrayed Blu-ray.

You should see some posters reacting violently that they are saying they will only buy SD discs for now and support HD downloads. As for me I would rather choose a single format but this just goes to show that its not over yet.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:04 AM »
Interesting insight from Kris Deering of Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity:

How much of Paramount's decision do think was influenced by the FACT that Blu-ray does not offer the same level of interactivity as HD DVD now, and that only a very small percentage of players on the market will support it in the near future. I imagine with a title like Transformers, Paramount may be frustrated by the lack of interactivity that Blu-ray currently offers in comparison. I mentioned before in this thread that I imagine studios doing dual encodes to get decent PIP could be frustrating and expensive for titles that aren't selling that well anyways. Lionsgate has done this already and I've heard rumors that a few other studios are approaching things this way as well.

Another question, how does the BD side plan on dealing with general consumers that buy BD titles that require the new spec to use all of the extra features contained on the disc?? I imagine that once the new profile players come out the existing players on the market will take a price drop making them more attractive to the average consumer, but these players won't support the features on the disc. I can see this being a point of frustration for the unknowing consumer as they start to purchase high profile titles and can't take advantage of the features that enticed them to buy in the first place.

Do you have any insight into how this will be handled? Are titles going to start listing what players they're compatible with on the inside? I know it sounds silly but since this is a legitimate issue that will come into play very shortly I think it is an issue with a lot of merit, especially since BD decided to launch in phases with hardware that was known from the beginning to not support the full specification of the format.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:09 AM »
You should see some posters reacting violently that they are saying they will only buy SD discs for now and support HD downloads. As for me I would rather choose a single format but this just goes to show that its not over yet.
Yes.  This is bad news for those sitting on the fence anticipating the format war to end.   Humaba pa lalo ito.   The way I see it, some will be discouraged and stay SD, or some will just adopt coz they see that the war aint going anytime soon.

Me too, at first I really want to choose a single format.   But analyzing then how the war would pan out, I decided to go dual coz I just cant bear not watching movies  I love just because of format exclusivity.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:29 AM by Munskie »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:28 AM »
I agree.  And I don't recall the Toshiba camp responding with BR bribes when Target and Blockbuster announced exclusivity to BR.  But that's Sony et al for you.  All this talk about MS bribes to the tune of $150M are all unsubstantiated anyway.  Amirm at AVSforum have denied these allegations.  Ofcourse.

True eh. I wonder what will Paramount do with these allegations without solid proof?
Probably Paramount will not take any legal action but nevertheless seeing BDA under a lawsuit will be interesting hehe. ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:38 AM »
Me too, at first I really want to choose a single format. But analyzing then how the war would pan out, I decided to go dual coz I just cant bear not watching movies  I love just because of format exclusivity.

Yes, going Neutral is the safest bet (or is it? ;D) provided if we an afford it (another words: our wallets now get twice burned! ;D). Whichever format wins, we still win...No more sakit ulo, no more worry...just the opportunity to enjoy the best of both HD worlds.  ;)

Actually, last week I decided na to be Neutral & about to place my first BD titles. But now reading BDA's reaction..hmm..I might stick with one format & buy SD DVD na lang for those "non-HD movies"  :P
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:40 AM by pchin »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:55 AM »
A comment posted by a blu-ray fan after reading PAramount's press release:

"I called paramount and stuck it to them. The woman i talked to agreed that it was very awkward how the announcement came very close to transformers upcoming release, which was a HUGE movie at the box office. She told me thousands of people called in immediately following the press release complaining to just have it on bluray as well and then paramount can do whtever the hell they choose to.."  ;D

The Transformers news also appear in Michael Bay's blog:

Transformers to be released on standard definition DVD and HD-DVD only
http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/index.html

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:57 AM »

Actually, last week I decided na to be Neutral & about to place my first BD titles. But now reading BDA's reaction..hmm..I might stick with one format & buy SD DVD na lang for those "non-HD movies"  :P

I think this is the safest way to go.  It is not as if going upscaled DVD on your HDTV is crap by comparison.  Upscaling done right still gives gorgeous images.  I have never really seen any reason to support a half-baked BR from the start.   ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:11 AM »
Yes, going Neutral is the safest bet (or is it? ;D) provided if we an afford it (another words: our wallets now get twice burned! ;D). Whichever format wins, we still win...No more sakit ulo, no more worry...just the opportunity to enjoy the best of both HD worlds.  ;)

yes.   thats why I just cant understand why BD fanboys (who certainly have massive BD collections already) in other forums who can afford to go neutral are bitchin about the recent announcement.  Just go get the $200 HD DVD player and get all the HD movies you want.............

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:31 AM »
   yes.   thats why I just cant understand why BD fanboys (who certainly have massive BD collections already) in other forums who can afford to go neutral are b**chin about the recent announcement. 

That's why they're called fanboys.  ;D 

Just go get the $200 HD DVD player and get all the HD movies you want.............

If they did that, they won't be called fanboys no more.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:45 AM »
That's why they're called fanboys.  ;D 

If they did that, they won't be called fanboys no more.
Yer right!!!   hehehehe.......my huge mistake..............

I just cant see any logic why you should be a fanboy instead and whine about  Paramount for making such a decision, when those  fanboys can afford to go neutral and watch all those HD movies peacefully at their homes instead......

....to each his own preference lang talaga...... ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:53 AM by Munskie »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:59 AM »
Films released by Paramount/Dreamworks that should go exclusive that Id like own someday

Godfather trilogy
Transformers
Braveheart
Shrek Trilogy
Band of Brothers
Gladiator

and what happens now to the Jack Ryan collection???
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 12:38 PM by Munskie »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:00 AM »
I recently watched 300 on HD DVD and the plot reminds me of this latest development in the so called HD format wars, except that instead of King Leonidas and his faithful 299 (1 lived to tell the story right) dying to inspire Sparta, he "probably" bribed his council to support an all-out war against the 30K strong Persians. (or the beautiful queen slept with all the councilmen and elders).   At the end of the day still outnumbered, but with so much better odds  :)  

I can understand fanboyism in terms of gaming but when it comes to HD Hollywood, it's ridiculous (but amusing) in my opinion.

Downloadable contents outside the US?  Give me the proper internet infrastructure and get rid of that darned region locking.  At PinoyXbox, a lot of members in the Philippines took 1/3 of a day to download Bioshock's 1.0Gb demo.  It took me less than 10 minutes (great), yet, I have no access at all to all HD movie/TV show trailers and contents.   Buying the disk is still the way to go.  

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:03 AM »
i'll also be paying attention to that. i don't want to end up with hd-dvd or blu-ray discs when downloads become viable.

this new announcement gives me further encouragement to sit out this so-called format war (which was always a microsoft vs. sony war, regardless of the smoke and mirrors that both camps use).

The thing with HD downloads is the bandwidth requirements, for example xbox live marketplace is offering hd downloads in the US but they are in 720p and have a time restriction i believe but it takes a while. HD downloads is a viable concept but i don't see it happening here for the next few years. There are other factors but the bandwidth concerns for downloading purposes is the biggest factor for me.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:08 AM »

I just cant see any logic why you should be a fanboy instead and whine about  Paramount for making such a decision, when those  fanboys can afford to go neutral and watch all those HD movies peacefully at their homes instead......

Because fanboyism defies all logic.   ;D

Typical fanboy reaction to the news, accdg to a thread at avforums.com  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:09 AM by av_phile1 »