Author Topic: Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!  (Read 21180 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!
« Reply #30 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:13 AM »

Downloadable contents outside the US?  Give me the proper internet infrastructure and get rid of that darned region locking.  At PinoyXbox, a lot of members in the Philippines took 1/3 of a day to download Bioshock's 1.0Gb demo.  It took me less than 10 minutes (great), yet, I have no access at all to all HD movie/TV show trailers and contents.   Buying the disk is still the way to go. 

The ripped HD DVD Talladega Nights is donwloadable from Torrent sites. It's said to be a 45Gb file.  How long would it take to download it in the US?   And here with myDSL and SmartBro? 
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:16 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #31 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:15 AM »
I just cant see any logic why you should be a fanboy instead and whine about  Paramount for making such a decision, when those  fanboys can afford to go neutral and watch all those HD movies peacefully at their homes instead......

Yes. As for HD DVD fans, even after knowing BD having more tittles & yet they still support it while some decided to go Neutral in order to quit whining. So for those BD fanboys esp those who have more than 100 BD movies (plenty moolah!), getting a HD DVD player sure isn't that hard...  ;D

Haha av_phile1 is right. The "fanboy" tittle is too hard to let go...  ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:25 AM »
I recently watched 300 on HD DVD and the plot reminds me of this latest development in the so called HD format wars, except that instead of King Leonidas and his faithful 299 (1 lived to tell the story right) dying to inspire Sparta, he "probably" bribed his council to support an all-out war against the 30K strong Persians. (or the beautiful queen slept with all the councilmen and elders).   At the end of the day still outnumbered, but with so much better odds  :)   
hehehe.......we'll never know.....King Xerxes might bribe Warner to go BD exclusive...........kaput!!!  ;D ;D

I can understand fanboyism in terms of gaming but when it comes to HD Hollywood, it's ridiculous (but amusing) in my opinion.

sabi nga ni sir AV....fanboyism defies all logic......but yes...its ridiculous and amusing at the same time...

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 01:13 PM »
Todate:

HD DVD
Universal
Paramount
Dreamworks
Weinstein Co
Studio Canal (Some HD DVD of BD exclusives in Europe)

Neutral
Warner (few titles on HD DVD only)
New Line
HBO
BBC

Blu-ray
Sony/Columbia/TriStar
Fox(All HD releases suspended)
Lionsgate
MGM/UA (All HD releases suspended)
Disney/Miramax/Buena Vista
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 01:14 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 01:57 PM »
Tnx for the update Alex.  ;) Now the playing field is leveled!  8)
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 02:18 PM by pchin »

Offline aeris30

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 02:43 PM »
Editorial of the August 19-25, 2007 digital issue of Home Media Magazine:

Is Microsoft Fueling the Format War?

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 05:12 PM »
I think this is the safest way to go.  It is not as if going upscaled DVD on your HDTV is crap by comparison.  Upscaling done right still gives gorgeous images.  I have never really seen any reason to support a half-baked BR from the start.   ;D

For those who have HD, SD is crap. Every adopter of either format will tell you the SD is blurred and out of focus compared to HD. No matter how great your upsclaed DVD is, it a no contest...

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 06:25 PM »
For those who have HD, SD is crap. Every adopter of either format will tell you the SD is blurred and out of focus compared to HD. No matter how great your upsclaed DVD is, it a no contest...

The key is to adjust your viewing distance and to always watch an SD movie first before putting in an HD disk.  If it's the other way around, no matter how half-baked the HD disk is, the initial eye reaction/shock is like watching something uncooked.  But then the eyes would eventually adjust especially if the story of the movie is riveting enough.   

There are some SD titles that look quite good upscaled but the fuzzy/smoothing effect is really what upscaling is all about.   Star Wars Episodes II and III are good samples.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #38 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:12 PM »
Man missed all the great stuff today. Great news for hddvd. Im so happy for hddvd..Ya the blu-ray fanboys should stop crying, complaining, bickering and just go neutral (299 or lower is already a great price ). I dont see anything wrong with that unless they are in BDA's payroll ::). If they dont go neutral then they will miss transformers and all the other great titles. By the way, I want Beverly hills cop hehe (I think thats paramount right) and of course Indiana Jones.. Like I always say , the 2 to 1 advantage does not mean crap. If its 5 to 1 then I would be a little worried. CES 2008 will be interesting. Maybe lionsgate will go neutral   ;)

The only thing im ticked off with hddvd is why their movies are still at 19.95, while bd have some already at 17.95 and 14.95.

P.s. My Ps3 welcomed this news with the greatest joy. It will no longer be overworked with lots of movies and games.  ;D
Sa addon naman mag play (para ma even out  ;D)..Just dont give me the 3rl my beloved 360

Offline rexdc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:29 PM »
Michael Bay responds to Paramount's abandonment of Blu-ray: "No Transformers 2 for me!"

So by now you've heard that Paramount has dropped support for Blu-ray right? Good, so has a notable Hollywood director. Michael Bay -- the man behind "Transformers," "Bad Boys," "Pear Harbor," etc. -- just threw down with Paramount in his personal blog. In a forum post titled "Paramount pisses me off!", he states, "I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!" That's right Mike, aim your PS3 right at their coffers!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/michael-bay-responds-to-paramounts-abandonment-of-blu-ray-no-t/
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:29 PM by rexdc »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
Re: Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!
« Reply #40 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:50 PM »
Michael Bay responds to Paramount's abandonment of Blu-ray: "No Transformers 2 for me!"

So by now you've heard that Paramount has dropped support for Blu-ray right? Good, so has a notable Hollywood director. Michael Bay -- the man behind "Transformers," "Bad Boys," "Pear Harbor," etc. -- just threw down with Paramount in his personal blog. In a forum post titled "Paramount pisses me off!", he states, "I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!" That's right Mike, aim your PS3 right at their coffers!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/michael-bay-responds-to-paramounts-abandonment-of-blu-ray-no-t/
Hehe..thats ok Michael Bay, usually the 2nd and 3rd movies sucks anyway, First is always the best haha..Just my opinion ;D Also easy for him to say  but once the money is at the table and possibility of making millions I dont think he will give a crap if its blu-ray or whatever format it will come out.

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:10 PM »

The only thing im ticked off with hddvd is why their movies are still at 19.95, while bd have some already at 17.95 and 14.95.

Just noticed that BDs now priced $17.95 at Amazon.com are Paramount movies. The recently released The Untouchables BD, which I got for $19.95 is now down to $17.95. I emailed amazon about it & I got a $2 refund :)

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:41 PM »
Planning to go high def with a PS3 (and bd), but this new uncertainty means I'll wait some more...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:55 PM »
Confirmation of the Bribe of the Year...

Two Studios to Support HD DVD Over Rival

NY Times Complete Article

"But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but who asked not to be identified.

The incentives will come in a combination of cash and promotional guarantees. Toshiba, for instance, will use the release of “Shrek the Third” as part of an HD DVD marketing campaign.

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation declined to comment. Microsoft, the most prominent technology company supporting HD DVDs, said it could not rule out payment but said it wrote no checks. “We provided no financial incentives to Paramount or DreamWorks whatsoever,” said Amir Majidimehr, the head of Microsoft’s consumer media technology group.

The surprise move by Paramount and DreamWorks Animation prompted an immediate response from the electronics companies betting on Blu-ray.

“This seems like a move of desperation,” said Andy Parsons, a member of the Blu-ray Disc Association, which represents companies like Panasonic, Samsung and Sony."

At least I can wait...

The two studios may have left themselves wiggle room, however. Paramount’s agreement to use only HD DVD is limited to only 18 months. And Paramount noted that no films directed by Steven Spielberg were included in the deal “as his films are not exclusive to either format.” Mr. Spielberg is a co-founder of DreamWorks SKG, a unit of Paramount.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:15 PM »

UPDATE: Desperation Move & Cash Grab? Or Bloodier Blu-ray/HD-DVD Format War?

Complete Article

I've got a confidential report from Pali Research managing director Richard S. Greenfield, a media analyst for entertainment and cable, that discussed the deals (see below), spinning them as "the format war is now set to intensify". But sources have given me updated details which show the HD-DVD side is paying through the nose -- I'm told $50 million to Paramount, and $100 million to DreamWorks Animation -- to try to show the strength of what we all know is a dying format. After all, the consumer is already making a decision between formats: even though Toshiba-backed and Microsoft-backed HD-DVD players are far cheaper right now, Sony-backed Blu-ray prices are rapidly coming down. After all, the consumer is already making a decision between formats: even though Toshiba-backed and Microsoft-backed HD-DVD players are far cheaper right now, Sony-backed Blu-ray prices are rapidly coming down. And Blu-ray high-def movie discs outsold films on rival HD-DVD 2-to-1 in the U.S. in the first half of 2007, Home Media Research said last week. Meanwhile, Blockbuster plans to line its shelves with Blu-ray DVDs which are "significantly outpacing" HD-DVD rentals. Here's the Pali Research memo:
"Up until now, Paramount and DreamWorks (live action) were releasing in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats. The reason for shifting catalog exclusivity to HD-DVD would appear to be substantial upfront dollars. We expect these dollars could have a meaningfully positive impact on Viacom's film profitability in 2H '07 and full-year 2008."

Well it's no longer what the consumer wants, it's what the bottomline will be at the next stockholders' meeting...Money upfront is much better, even if HD DVD doesn't become profitable for them. I wonder if this will end up in litigation if Paramount broke any agreements with the BDA group.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:19 PM »
Just noticed that BDs now priced $17.95 at Amazon.com are Paramount movies. The recently released The Untouchables BD, which I got for $19.95 is now down to $17.95. I emailed amazon about it & I got a $2 refund :)
Ya amazon is sooo cool, It happened to me also once with standard dvd. Price went down in a couple of weeks after I bought it and they refunded me also for the diff. Cool talaga amazon..They know how to satisfy customers.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:22 PM »
By the way Paul, you can take out na the blue cover for transformers hehe..Red nalang..Show it to me again baby....Guys, This is just all in good fun.. ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:29 PM »
Damage Control at Paramount...

AVSForums

Josh,

Thank you for your email. I will answer your questions as best I can.

1 - As far as we can tell here in marketing, this exclusive deal could last as long as 18 months. I spoke to my director earlier today and even she does not have all the details of this agreement. She did mention we have a lot of clauses which would allow us to release certain films on Blu-ray during this time period.
2 - I cannot comment on this question.

3 - Right now it looks like all announced Blu-ray titles will be or have been canceled. As I mentioned before you still may see some Blu-ray releases in the next 18 months though. I can not get in to the details of that possibility though.

4 - Actually we were as surprised as everyone else today when we found out about agreement with HD-DVD. We found out when we arrived to work today and there had been no rumors at all circulating. I think it surprised us all because we have been working on producing and marketing Blu-ray versions of films such Blades, Face/Off, Top Gun, etc. through the end of last week. I can tell you we have received many calls today from various talent and certain directors voicing their displeasure with this decision. We even had VP's of other studios calling in from what I hear. I have never seen this type of atmosphere in the office. In a way we were on damage control throughout the day. That is really all I can tell you for now.

Take care Josh!

XXXXXX XXXXXXX
Publicity & Marketing
Paramount Home Entertainment
310.xxx.xxxx direct
[email protected]

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:40:49 -0700 (PDT)
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: HD-DVD

XXXXXX,

I have a couple of questions regarding you guys going HD-DVD exclusive today. As you can imagine it was a big surprise to many of us.

1. Is this exclusivity indefinite or for a limited time frame?

2. The rumor circulating AVS is that Microsoft has contributed money to Paramount to go exclusive. Is this true?

3. Will certain announced movies still be released on Blu-ray? What about Transformers & Indiana Jones?

4. How long have you or your department known that this deal was being negotiated?

Thanks!

~Josh

Hi-Def Preview
www.hidefpreview.com
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:32 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:30 PM »
You should see some posters reacting violently that they are saying they will only buy SD discs for now and support HD downloads.

HD downloads is a good alternative if one has the right equipment (HTPC) and infrastracture (bandwidth speed).  But in owning the discs, there is added satisfaction when you can see them in your racks......compared to files stored on hard drives.....just my opinion.. :)

Definitely, I agree, a good portion of fence sitters were turned off by the announcement......I believe if you adopt now though, to enjoy all the HD movies you want, you have to go neutral, which is quite cost prohibitive.  And that easily makes it harder for fence sitters.....

But we have to think that this format war is also keeping the prices down.  Think of it if there is no format war, im pretty sure the hardware and content would be much higher than the current levels.   Where are we?  2nd year? and we might see a sub-$200 HD player before the year ends.......
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:50 PM by Munskie »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:58 PM »
By the way Paul, you can take out na the blue cover for transformers hehe..Red nalang..Show it to me again baby....Guys, This is just all in good fun.. ;D

Hi Ray, the Transformer art cover I did is always in RED;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #50 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:01 PM »
Planning to go high def with a PS3 (and bd), but this new uncertainty means I'll wait some more...

Exactly - I already stated my intention to get a PS3 as a BD player just yesterday, but this development puts that purchase on hold, temporarily.

With this announcement, the real immediate winner is SD DVD. Most people haven't made the switch to HD, and all this turmoil will make people wary of "making the wrong choice." So SD DVD just got another brief reprieve from being dropped in favor of HD by many of those who were on the fence, myself included.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:13 PM »
Hi Ray, the Transformer art cover I did is always in RED;D

nice work paul....hehe

it will be a pretty good fourth quarter for HD media.....and for neutrals....

Transformers vs Spiderman 3
Shrek 3 vs Ratatouille
Bourne Ultimatum vs Die Hard 4
Knocked Up vs Superbad

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:17 PM »
Paramount’s agreement to use only HD DVD is limited to only 18 months.

If the sales result is good after the expiry of this term, I'm sure Paramount will do what it can i.e. to renew the contract or request for extension....well, at least it happens all the time in the Phil.  ;D

That's not entirely true. Some SD DVDs have really good PQ. With a good upscaled DVD player, it can achieve very result on a HDTV as compared to a regular & non-upscaled SD PQ. Some ordinary folks even say it almost looks like HD!  ;D

Likewise, not all HD titles have 5-star PQ. Some even have only 2-star or 3-star PQ rating which is not far from SD DVD PQ. As Clondalkin said, adjusting your viewing to the "correct distance" is critical in achieving a smooth watching experience.  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:36 PM by pchin »

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 01:03 AM »
The fallout....

Paramount Removes Remaining Blu-ray Titles From Fall Slate
August 21, 2007

Yesterday's Paramount declaration of HD DVD support, starting with 'Blades of Glory' on August 28, raised questions about the previously announced Blu-ray titles scheduled for release throughout the rest of the year. The way the press release was written seemed to indicate the exclusive titles to follow 'Blades of Glory' would be 'Shrek the Third' and 'Transformers.' Unfortunately for Blu-ray fans, that's not the case.

This morning, Paramount updated their press website with a purge of all remaining Blu-ray Disc titles. The following titles were included in the purge and should now be considered HD DVD exclusive.

Next
Top Gun (Special Collector's Edition)
The Jack Ryan Collection (Special Collector's Edition)
Face/Off (Special Collector's Edition)

The status of 'Star Trek: Season One' has not changed as it was only announced for HD DVD. Aside from Steven Spielberg-directed Dreamworks or Paramount catalog titles, expect all future high definition announcements at Paramount to be HD DVD exclusive.

source: http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=682

Paramount Officially Cancels Blu-ray SKUs

In a note to retailers, Paramount has officially canceled all previously-announced upcoming Blu-ray releases.

As expected, Paramount won't release a single of its previously-announced upcoming Blu-ray titles, including 'Blades of Glory,' 'Next,' 'Top Gun,' 'The Jack Ryan Collection' and 'Face/Off.' Instead, each of the titles will now be HD DVD exclusive.

Retailers received official word late Monday that all five Blu-ray titles would be cancelled, and that existing orders would not be fulfilled.

Within hours, pre-orders for these titles disappeared from sites like Amazon.com, DVDEmpire and others.

source:http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High-Def_Retailing/Paramount/Paramount_Officially_Cancels_Blu-ray_SKUs/879
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 01:21 AM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 01:18 AM »

If this is indeed true, then this is one of the best things to come out of that Paramount/Dreamworks move!
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #55 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 02:32 AM »
Wow great news!

tsk tsk . . . how can Blu-ray 'go for the kill' this x'mas when the force is getting much stronger?

If this is indeed true, then this is one of the best things to come out of that Paramount/Dreamworks move!

don't worry by that time there will be a winner already and that is . . . (drum roll)

from the other site:

Price A Factor In HD DVD Support, Studios Say

And the format war rages on. Monday Paramount and DreamWorks Animation both declared exclusive support for the HD DVD disc format, announcing that titles distributed by the companies' various subsidiaries (including Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films) will be released exclusively on HD DVD going forward.

"We decided to release ... DreamWorks Animation titles exclusively on HD DVD because we believe it is the best format to bring high quality home entertainment to a key segment of our audience -- families," said DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg. "We believe the combination of this year's low-priced HD DVD players and the commitment to release a significant number of hit titles in the fall makes HD DVD the best way to view movies at home."

The exclusive program is set to begin with the release of "Blades of Glory," "Transformers" and "Shrek the Third" later this month.

According to studio execs, HD DVD's lower manufacturing costs and add-on technologies -- like interactivity and community features -- led to the decision.

"The combination of Paramount and DreamWorks Animation brings a critical mass of current box office hits to consumers with a line-up of live action and animated films that are perfect for HD DVD," said Paramount Pictures CEO Brad Grey. "Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience. I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 07:20 AM »
Face/Off is available already from HMV Japan in BD... Fortunately its distributor outside the States is Buena Vista and it is Region 1. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 07:24 AM »
Spielberg Feeling Blu Too

A noticeable stipulation in the Paramount deal yesterday was that films directed by Steven Spielberg would not be HD DVD exclusive, and could be distributed on either or both formats. At the time, it was not apparent if this meant the famous director was a fan of Blu-ray, but clarification received by High Def Digest suggests that the only Spielberg film coming out in high definition will be the recently announced 'Encounters of the Third Kind' and only on Blu-ray.

The drama started earlier this year when the HD DVD promo group listed a few high profile Spielberg titles as "coming soon" to the format. Shortly there after, the group was forced to issue a public apology to Mr. Spielberg, and retracted the titles from the release schedule. Apparently, he was contacted before the decision was made to release his movies in high definition.

Over the last few months, things have been heating up at the Spielberg camp. News from inside sources indicated that Spielberg was unhappy with Paramount for taking credit on Dreamworks films and for their firing of longtime friend Tom Cruise. There was some discussion that Spielberg would leave Paramount, taking his property with him.

Then, two Spielberg properties were announced for high definition release: 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' via Sony and 'Poltergeist' via Warner. CE3K was completely approved by Spielberg and includes a brand new introduction by the director. 'Poltergeist' was canceled.

After the Paramount announcement, High Def Digest contacted long-time Spielberg spokesman Marvin Levy regarding the announcement. He said the following:

"It was important to Steven that if any of his films were to be released [first] on high-definition, that it would be a classic. Steven is big supporter of Blu-ray, and chose 'Close Encounters' to be the first of his films on either format."

He also confirmed that CE3K was the only Spielberg movie in the high definition pipeline, and the only Spielberg film which would be released in high definition this year. While Spielberg has yet to issue the same war cry as Michael Bay did earlier today, from his choices with regards to high definition releases clearly show him favoring Blu-ray.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 07:32 AM »
Dissecting the Insanity: What does the Paramount deal really mean?

When the press release was issued stating that Paramount would be supporting HD DVD exclusively, it was a huge shock to the Blu-ray community. What would drive a movie studio to abandon the more widely adopted high definition format, abandoning potentially millions of Blu-ray consumers, for an inferior, under-supported format? As we found out, it was a red suitcase filled with $150M and the promise to extend this needless format war for another 18 months.

Paramount hasn't been a huge player in the high definition war thus far; they've only managed to produce 33 titles for Blu-ray. In sharp contrast, Fox/MGM has so far released 38 titles (over the course of six months) and has another 29 planned for the remainder of the year. Additionally, Paramount has been the slowest to adopt the latest technology, just recently adding AVC support (with ‘Flags of Our Fathers') and almost supporting lossless audio (a PCM track was planned for ‘Blades of Glory'). Their releases are solid, but not even close to the presentations delivered by diehard Blu-ray supporters Disney and Sony.

So why did the HD DVD Promo Group pay $150M for exclusive support if that support would be weak? Very simply, they were in deep trouble heading into the forth quarter of the year. Universal, previously the only exclusive HD DVD studio, had seriously bombed in the theater during the summer months, meaning they had few if any blockbuster release for the holiday season on home video. HD DVD needed a reason to exist, and an ultra special edition of ‘Evan Almighty' just wasn't going to cut it.

Essentially, they spent $150M for the exclusive rights to ‘Transformers' and ‘Shrek the Third'; and of course, potentially, any other Paramount/Dreamworks blockbusters released in the next year. What remains to be seen is if these high profile releases can do what other exclusive high profile releases have failed to achieve: sell HD DVD players.

What the HD DVD Promo Group really bought was one year of life-support for the ailing format. An end to this war was penciled in for early next year, but with this recent shift in support, there is little hope for that now. The shift adds more confusion to an already confusing format war, and consumers will simply stay away until the dust settles; and who can blame them? If a studio can be so easily bought, why shouldn't they hold out until the HD DVD Promo Group is ready to buy their support as well?

The obvious first reaction is what you have been witnessing on this website and others: panic. It is easy to let a big press release make you doubt why you chose Blu-ray in the first place, but Paramount's support wasn't the only reason. I can't lie, the news does sting as I have enjoyed many Paramount releases, but I won't let it sway my stance. Stay “Tru Blu” and keep supporting Blu-ray. Resist supporting an inferior technology for one or two movies, and enjoy the countless classics currently on and coming soon to Blu-ray. The best Hollywood studios, most respected producers and directors, and even Paramount's own engineering staff prefer Blu-ray over HD DVD. They all have voices, and not even $150B will be enough to silence them all.

Source

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:09 AM »
Yipee!!! michael bay will not direct transformers 2 ;D