Author Topic: Sony breaks out 'mass market' Blu-ray players  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sony breaks out 'mass market' Blu-ray players
« on: Aug 31, 2007 at 09:25 PM »
High-definition at home is the big theme at the IFA consumer electronics show this year with a myriad of media players and a titanic turnout of new TVs. Not to be left out, Sony announced two new Blu-ray Disc players: the BDP-S300 and the BDP-S500.

Sony's BDP-S300 (top) and BDP-S500

The BDP-S300 is being marketed for the mainstream and will be priced accordingly. The BDP-S500 is a high-end alternative aimed at customers with a bit more mazuma to invest in their definitive HD viewing experience.

Both come with a complimentary copy of the Spider-Man trilogy on Blu-ray disc... after registration of the product and completion of a customer questionnaire online.

Both models support 1080p over HDMI 1.3 and output 7.1-channel Linear PCM and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound. The BDP-S500 also supports Dolby True decoding and Bit Stream Output for DTS-HD1 and Dolby True.

Both models also support a wide variety of formats and media, including the still centrally important CD. In addition each supports BD-ROM, DVD, and DVD video playback from DVD/DVD±R/RW encoded discs, as well as MP3 audio files and JPEG images stored on DVD. The BDP-S500 will also support BD-R/RE discs.

The BDP-S300 will be available mid September and the BDP-S500 from the end of October. Unfortunately, pricing details weren't available

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/31/ifa_sony_blu_ray/

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
Re: Sony breaks out 'mass market' Blu-ray players
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 04:17 AM »
I don't want to start a new thread so please allow me to use this. ;)

I'm confused, Which BD player should I get? BDPS 300 which cost $279 [right now] or the PS3 which cost $399? Technical issues,  Power consumption and others are my primary concern. Not so much in gaming since I love my WII. ;D

Please help.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2007 at 04:22 AM by barrid »
There's something to learn everyday

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 02:50 PM »
I don't want to start a new thread so please allow me to use this. ;)

I'm confused, Which BD player should I get? BDPS 300 which cost $279 [right now] or the PS3 which cost $399? Technical issues,  Power consumption and others are my primary concern. Not so much in gaming since I love my WII. ;D

Please help.
why dont you look at samsung bd-p1400.  it can output HD audio thru bitstream (dolby trueHD and dolby digital-plus, and DTS-HD MA thru firmware update) to compatible hdmi 1.3 receivers.   also costs $279 too at amazon.  I feel you'll get more value with this than sony.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 05:42 PM »
Both players are not Final Standard Profile Blu-ray Player (BD-ROM Profile1 version 1.1). The PS 3 is rumoured to be getting it through a firmware. Both cannot decode or bitstream DTS HD-MA (most Fox BDs have this Audio feature). The PS 3 is also hoped to get this in a firmware. Only the Panasonic DMP-BD30K can do both BD features as of now. Unfortunately this player has a two month waiting period at Amazon  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 06:06 PM »
Both players are not Final Standard Profile Blu-ray Player (BD-ROM Profile1 version 1.1). The PS 3 is rumoured to be getting it through a firmware. Both cannot decode or bitstream DTS HD-MA (most Fox BDs have this Audio feature). The PS 3 is also hoped to get this in a firmware. Only the Panasonic DMP-BD30K can do both BD features as of now. Unfortunately this player has a two month waiting period at Amazon  :'( :'( :'(
yup...ive been waiting for the bd30k to at least lower in price.   but alas, law of supply and demand in the works.  the closest I could click the "place order" button was when it went down $420 in one of the resellers, but was gone after 30 minutes.   Im still hoping though that an update will make the PS3 output audio in bitsream.   Its more of a priority for me now.....