Author Topic: Tennis, Anyone?  (Read 102208 times)

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tennis, Anyone?
« Reply #540 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 12:48 AM »
Diba baliktad?  Blonde yung Kay Novak.

Tama yan bro...

Murray

USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline sdsmds

• Trade Count: (+354)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 744
« Reply #541 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 01:03 AM »
wimbeldon champ si murray 2013, last nag champ ang british is 77 yrs ago. i think it's fred perry

Offline sdsmds

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #542 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 01:15 AM »
Diba baliktad?  Blonde yung Kay Novak.
Kim Sears gf ni Murray & Jenina Ristic kay novak

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 01:24 AM »
Kim Sears gf ni Murray & Jenina Ristic kay novak

Sila nga yung sa post ko pero yung kay nova is Jelena Ristic.  >:D >:D

Kim Sears

Jelena Ristic

USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #544 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 08:05 AM »
Down 4-1 in the second set to win it 7-5. The pressure alone from winning it for your home crowd and ending a 77-year drought in Wimbledon is unthinkable. Absolutely brilliant performance from Murray.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2378
« Reply #545 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 08:35 AM »
I was for novak, pero before the match feeling ko talaga murray will win. Kasi parang sobrang hirap to win against the polish big server and murray did it. Congrats to murray, tennis players and f1 drivers have the hottest ;D girlfriends.

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #546 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 08:42 AM »
tennis players and f1 drivers have the hottest ;D girlfriends.

Yesterday was a day of the homeboys.  Murray@Wimbeldon, Vettel@Nürburgring.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #547 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 09:19 AM »
I've always preferred Murray's lady.  She really looks gorgeous whatever expression comes out of her face.  Lately, she has been showing more emotions while watching Murray.  Dati, tahimik na tahimik most of the time sa family box.

But I still think masarap magluto at kumarinyo si Mrs. Federer. 

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #548 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 12:07 PM »
murray for the win...
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline sdsmds

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #549 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 02:01 PM »
I've always preferred Murray's lady.  She really looks gorgeous whatever expression comes out of her face.  Lately, she has been showing more emotions while watching Murray.  Dati, tahimik na tahimik most of the time sa family box.

But I still think masarap magluto at kumarinyo si Mrs. Federer. 

baka mrs murry na sya kaya pwede ng magmatapang hahaha...early years tabi pa nga sila ng byenan sa box pero now hindi na...mukhang mrs murray na nnga hehehe

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #550 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 02:33 PM »
watched the championship last night.  ibang level yung laro ni Andy kaya 3 sets lang tapos kaagad.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #551 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 03:00 PM »
Djoko and Murray very have similar baseline games - they were closely matched in this regard. The difference was Andy's surprisingly excellent court coverage - his ability to run down almost everything Novak threw at him coupled with Novak's unusually erratic backhand. Compared to last year's final against Federer, we saw a much more athletic Andy Murray last night.

Ultimately, Novak was outgunned at the baseline and while successful with the drop shot, he lacked the ability to serve and volley and thus change the tempo of the game. Djoko can learn a thing or two from Pete Sampras or that old master - Rod Laver. 
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #552 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 05:31 PM »
I don't know what's happening with Djoko but he never settled down the whole game. While Murray certainly approved, he was like Nadal when tracking those drop shots. Most of the drop shots should be winners already but somehow Murray was always catching up to it.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #553 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 09:29 PM »
I miss the serve and volleyers. Puro baseliners na ngayon. I love the games of McEnroe, Becker and Navratilova.

Offline wilver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #554 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 10:11 PM »
Also the likes of Stefan Edberg, Pat Cash, Patrick Rafter and Goran Ivanisevic.
I guess the advancement in racket technology has kept the serve and volleyers at the baseline.

I've been using Djokovic racket lately (Head YOUTEK Graphene Speed Pro). Control and feel is superb!

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #555 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 10:30 PM »
watched the championship last night.  ibang level yung laro ni Andy kaya 3 sets lang tapos kaagad.

I was also surprised to see it end in 3 straight sets. I was expecting a full 5 set marathon.

I don't know what's happening with Djoko but he never settled down the whole game. While Murray certainly approved, he was like Nadal when tracking those drop shots. Most of the drop shots should be winners already but somehow Murray was always catching up to it.

Dyan ako believe kay murray. How he chases those balls whereever they are. Sa iba those are already lost points since they will just give up chasing them but murray will go for them no matter what. Kaya nahirapan maka-point si djoko.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #556 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 02:48 AM »
Had Djokovic not played in the longest Wimbledon semi of all time (4 hours and 43 minutes), the score would have really been different.

Murray got a bit lucky in this tourney, he played at home, had a great draw, and faced a tired Novak in the final.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #557 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 07:14 AM »
Murray got a bit lucky in this tourney, he played at home, had a great draw, and faced a tired Novak in the final.

I thought playing at home was more of a bane than boon for Murray. Grabe yung pressure. So I guess that evened the odds.

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
« Reply #558 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 07:30 AM »
I thought playing at home was more of a bane than boon for Murray. Grabe yung pressure. So I guess that evened the odds.

The expectations and hope of a country can be a bane and put pressure on you specially if you are losing but their support and encouragement can really be a boon and give you that extra energy when you are winning. Had Djokovic won the second set, the outcome might have been different.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #559 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 07:52 AM »
I hated the games of serve and volleyers especially the machine-like Pete Sampras who could get a winner in only like a few seconds.    But it was most exciting to watch a baseliner vs a serve and volleyer, especially those tight passing shots along the line. 

The men's finals ended in 3 straight sets but it was a very good and long 3-set match.  Murray simply got the breaks when it mattered the most for every single set.

I thought the evolution of most top players to baseline style of play is due to the slowed down courts because of the stronger power of the current gen players.

I miss the serve and volleyers. Puro baseliners na ngayon. I love the games of McEnroe, Becker and Navratilova.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2013 at 07:56 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #560 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 08:07 AM »
Another serve and volley player back then was Tim Henman.  The previous hope of UK at Wimbeldon.

It was an ok game.  Novak was obviously out of his element, complaining so much, and slipping and sliding all over the court.  Feel good win for Andy and the rest of the locals.

My favorite Wimbeldon moment remains to be Goran's win over Pat Rafter, when he was invited as a wildcard.  He had nothing in his game except for his monster serve, and it proved to be enough to win it that year.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #561 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 08:42 AM »
I hated the games of serve and volleyers especially the machine-like Pete Sampras who could get a winner in only like a few seconds.    But it was most exciting to watch a baseliner vs a serve and volleyer, especially those tight passing shots along the line. 

The men's finals ended in 3 straight sets but it was a very good and long 3-set match.  Murray simply got the breaks when it mattered the most for every single set.

I thought the evolution of most top players to baseline style of play is due to the slowed down courts because of the stronger power of the current gen players.

Oh ya i forgot sampras hehe. Vijay amritraj, the commentator now, was discussing why the serve and volley disappeared. he mentioned the equipment and the balls are heavier now so majority are baseliners. Here is an article pero from 2008 pa ata from bleacher report.

Why is the Serve-and-Volley Game Extinct in Today's Tennis?

That’s the single most haunting question in the world of tennis today. As Federer and Nadal continue to awe the spectators with their fabulous rallies and scintillating baseline game, most of the fans still yearn for the serve-and-volley game to make a re-entry into the sport.

The art of serve-and-volley had been perfected by tennis greats like Jack Kramer, John McEnroe, Pete Sampras, and Martina Navratilova to name a few, but of late this art seems to have lost its sheen.

Serve-and-volley is a style of play in tennis where the player serving moves quickly towards the net after the serve. The server then attempts to hit a volley, as opposed to the baseline style, where the server would stay back following the serve and attempt to hit a groundstroke.

The aim of this strategy is to put immediate pressure on the opponent, so that good returns must be made, or else the server can gain advantage. This tactic is especially useful on fast courts (e.g. grass courts) and less so on slow courts (e.g. clay courts). For it to be successful, the player must either have a good serve or be exceptionally quick in movement around the net.

But, as John McEnroe puts it in his book “You Can’t Be Serious!”, the cause of the decline in the serve-and-volley game are the powerful lightweight composite racquets that everyone uses today.

In the days of wooden racquets, it simply wasn't possible to generate enough power to just crush a forehand past your opponent. To be successful, you had to work the point to create unreturnable angles. It is much easier to create angles at the net, so the serve-and-volley game was more popular.

Now, though angles can still be important, with the introduction of wider graphite racquets, everyone hits the ball so hard that it can be difficult to even approach the net.

When you do get there, passing shots from your opponent are much more difficult to handle. So it doesn't pay to work too hard on serve-and-volley skills, so no one does.

To encourage more artistry through the strategic use of angles, McEnroe advocates a return to wooden racquets in the professional game.

Some experts argue that the game has turned more 'vanilla' in the nature of the surfaces.  Even the new laid grass surfaces at Wimbledon is slower and the balls sit up more than they used to, due to changes in the undersurface and the type of grass used there.

Even Boris Becker once said, “I could have never won a single Wimbledon on such ‘slow’ surfaces.”

Another interesting fact about the whole issue is the lack of encouragement of serve-and-volley style by the USTA. The coaches now emphasize more on the baseline play of the junior players, and volleying is taught only in respect to doubles game.

The most interesting take on the decline is blamed on a conspiracy theory involving tennis organizers to encourage longer rallies and attract more spectators!

In support of the claim, supporters quote the introduction of new laws [supposedly] against Pancho Gonzales and Jack Kramer to curb their serve-and-volley game.

The rules include the VASSS introduction in '50s, the three-bounce rule and making the second serve line a yard behind. Though the rules were subsequently dropped, the introduction of graphite racquets, hybrid strings, and slower grass courts have eventually managed to kill the serve-and-volley game.

Others neutral to the issue consider serve-and-volley as a created opportunity, not a total game.

It is only one pattern of many used in the game. Top players still move the serve around and use variety at all sections of the court looking to come in and hit the easy volley to close out the point.

Personally, I believe the serve-and-volley can still be employed in the game, though the players need to put in more effort not only in their movements, but also mentally, in order to anticipate the location of the return and move into position early, and the only way to achieve that is practice. After all, practice makes one perfect.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2013 at 08:46 AM by Moks007 »

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #562 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 09:41 AM »
Hoping to see a "slam dunk" ala Sampras in today's tennis.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #563 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 09:54 AM »
My favorite serve and volleyer was Patrick Rafter, followed by Roger Federer nung nagsisimula pa sya,
then he shifted to the baseline game which suited him quite well,...

Mahirap kalaro ang S&V player, lalo kung napaka-hahaba ng arms, you'd have to be very precise sa pass and overhead, though I must admit, I miss seeing that kind of play nowadays,...

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #564 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 10:00 AM »
I miss those boris becker diving plays at the net. To me, Makes it more fun to watch.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 10:12 AM »
Si Becker?  Boom, toink with dive, point!  2-3 sec job.  Mas matagal pa yung pagpagin ang dumi sa damit and body and bumalik sa baseline for the next serve.  Hehehe.

But Im amazed sa drop shots ni Sampras that seemed to break the ball speed so fast, and McEnroe's elegant volleys.  They made it look so easy.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2013 at 10:15 AM by Clondalkin »

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #566 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 10:01 PM »
I mentioned Sampras and Laver in my post above because these are the very rare players who can play from the baseline with equal ease and skill as rushing the net. Yup, I'm old enough to have seen Laver play in the twilight of his career, mid-70's and he was still sublime then - an all rounder.  I can just imagine how good he was earlier when he won 2 Grand Slams.

By contrast, there were the John McEnroes and the Stefan Edbergs who were pure serve and volleyers and the Ivan Lendls and Bjorn Borgs who were pure baseliners.  Bonking Boris (Becker) was more of an all-rounder in the mold of Sampras and Laver albeit inferior to both.

McEnroe and Laver are the best volleyers I have ever seen - their directional control of the ball and the angles they achieved - I've never seen anyone replicate to this day.  McEnroe is the best serve and volleyer period while Laver is just plain the best player ever (Sampras 2nd, Federer 3rd) in my book.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2013 at 10:10 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 10:26 PM »
I find Federer better than Sampras, due to his dominance on the different surfaces.  Si Rafa lang talaga ang kryptonite ni Roger.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #568 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 10:35 PM »
Federer's service is great but Sampras' is a weapon and this is why Pete tops Roger IMO. Pete can volley while Fed is just decent there.  Ground strokes I'd say they are even (Pete with a little edge due to more power) although without a doubt Roger's style is incredibly beautiful - his tennis is just poetry in motion.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2013 at 10:38 PM by lithium_deuteride »

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #569 on: Jul 10, 2013 at 02:32 PM »
Federer has a better return-of-serve (equal to Agassi) and a better backhand than Sampras. RF is also more versatile, he would have still won slams even during the time of Borg.