Author Topic: SkyCable drops JackTV, BTV and Solar Sports  (Read 38169 times)

Offline mink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SkyCable drops JackTV, BTV and Solar Sports
« on: Jan 19, 2002 at 10:41 AM »
This thread is for discussing the 2008 Cable Channel Programming Changes.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008 at 06:18 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
Guys, I just found out all Solar Entertainment Channels will be removed on SkyCable effective January 1, 2008.

These channels are:
1. Basketball TV
2. Solar Sports
3. JackTV
4. ETC
5. 2nd Avenue
6. Crime/Suspense.

This is for all SkyCable packages, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Let's make a complaint para di ituloy.

The Balls TV on channel 33 that airs the US Open will be the replacement for Basketball TV. It sucks right. Its all over Pinoy forums now. One of the reasons for the removal was Sky wanted to remove ETC and JackTV because Sky wanted to have a similar channel. Solar's reply was if Sky will remove 2 channels, why not remove them all, hence the issue.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2007 at 10:29 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Solar Entertainment Channels will be removed on SkyCable
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 10:28 PM »
greed again rears its ugly head.

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 10:29 PM »
good thing im with another cable company ;D

pero i was thinking of getting the platinum digibox once it becomes available in our area, but without those channels i would think otherwise.

ballstv isnt bad since they carry tennis which i love.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 10:45 PM »
Knew about this move way back July... I even posted a "what if?" question at the "Which Cable TV provider do you subscribe to?" thread. These channels will be removed because, from what I've heard, they will start channels similar to the ones they will remove.

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 11:01 PM »
Knew about this move way back July... I even posted a "what if?" question at the "Which Cable TV provider do you subscribe to?" thread. These channels will be removed because, from what I've heard, they will start channels similar to the ones they will remove.

yep, i saw your post about that, how did you know about it?

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 11:02 PM »
oh man...i will go to where the nba is shown.  solar has the exclusive rights in the phils. right?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 11:03 PM »
I know someone from the company.

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 11:04 PM »
I know someone from the company.

which one, sky or solar?

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 11:06 PM »
oh man...i will go to where the nba is shown.  solar has the exclusive rights in the phils. right?

AFAIK, yes, but Sky will also try to get the rights to show NBA, they're actually doing a survey right now on what shows you want. Probably they will air it on their own upcoming channels and NBA is one of the most wanted.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 11:12 PM »
This is what I get after paying so much on them? Sky is an 37OHSSV!

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #11 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 11:37 PM »
hope this isn't true.

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 11:39 PM »
hope this isn't true.

its confirmed, call Sky, they wont even deny it.

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 03:34 AM »
this reminds of the time they also pulled all the Star Channels...  :(

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 08:00 AM »
SkyCable is greedy, period. They've already started blatantly begging asking for advertisers to advertise for them through one of their crappy in-house ads, and in return we get to see ads aired over legit ads on CNN, Animax, and other stations. Pretty soon we'll be seeing shampoo and sanitary napkin commercials everywhere...  :P
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007 at 08:00 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 01:22 PM »
first they shut down our cable forcing us to get that 1.5k digibox and then now this?! F%$CK SKY CABLE! >:(

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 10:17 PM »
I knew there was a reason I didn't discontinue my Destiny subscription despite almost never switching over to Destiny from my main Sky hookup.

I think Destiny will soon have a newfound popularity, just like when Sky discontinued their Star channels (as mentioned above). That was when I initially subscribed to Destiny.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 11:25 PM »
Guys, this is what we're gonna lose if Solar Channels will be removed.

Courtesy of GARLiC on PinoyExchange:

Greetings from Solar Entertainment Corporation!

We would like to provide everyone with updates on recent developments in the area of programming, such as key acquisitions, telecast policy and business initiatives. Aside from having the rights to ALL Manny Pacquiao fights and the NBA games we also continue to have exclusive rights to many of the best properties for our sports and entertainment channels.

Moving toward the last quarter of 2007 and into the New Year, We are happy to announce the following:

1. Solar has entered into agreement with the International Olympics Committee (IOC) covering all Exclusive Broadcast Rights including Free TV, Basic Cable, satellite, mobile television, pay television, closed-circuit television and internet television for the following:

* 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
* 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games
* 2012 London Olympic Games

Next year, 8/08/08, Solar will be bringing to the Philippines an unprecedented number of hours of various Olympic sports through Pay Per View, Closed Circuit, RPN, Solar Sports, Basketball TV, ETC and 2nd Avenue from Beijing. In addition, Solar will be sending its production crew to Beijing to cover the participation of the Philippines at the Games.

2. To continue our ability to deliver to our valued clients the most current entertainment programming, Solar has secured multi-year volume deals with major studios and production companies including the following:

* NBC-Universal Television
* Warner Brothers International Television
* Fox Television
* CBS-Paramount

The deals give Solar first choice of selection over all new products and properties from the studios and provide our cable affiliates the assurance that all hit series such as 24, Heroes plus the new series from the 2007 production slate will exclusively have its premieres and first telecast window on Solar’s Channels over our competition.

Renewed hit series for the season are the following:

* Heroes
* Bones

* Shark
* Prison Break
* My Name is Earl
* America’s Next Top Model
* Project Runway
* Top Chef
* Saturday Night Live
* One Tree Hill
* Without A Trace
* Cold Case
* The Closer
* Men in Trees
* Hell’s Kitchen
* Extreme Makeover
* Home Edition
* Beauty And The Geek
* Law and Order SVU
* Nip Tuck
* The Office
* The Simpson’s
* Family Guy
* Survivors: China
* America’s Got Talent.

Recently acquired for telecast this next few months are the following:

* The Sopranos,
* Entourage
* My Boys
* The Tudors

And from the new television season in the U.S., the new series we have acquired are the ff:

* Bionic Woman
* The Sarah Connors Chronicles
* Pushing Daisies
* Chuck
* Big Bang Theory
* Alien In America
* Journeyman
* New Amsterdam
* Big Shots
* Burn Notice
* Moonlight

3. The most exciting news for all our clients and agencies which we would like to share with you, coinciding with the start of the new Fall Season this October, 2007, in the United States, Solar will be scheduling series such as Heroes, 24, Prison Break, Sarah Connors Chronicles and Bionic Woman, on a day and date basis with the US telecast schedule.

This means, instead of waiting for the inevitable delay due to tape shipment and to counter the illegal downloading of content on the internet, cable viewers can now watch these series at the same time as the American viewers. This dramatic scheduling innovation will surely add more value to their viewing experiences.

Of course, the current world class sports properties will continue including the FIBA games, U.S. NCAA, Collegiate Champions League, PBL games, French Open Tennis, Ultimate Fighting Championship, Bundes Liga, La Liga, the NFL and PGA Golf Tour.

Can SkyCable, beat that, no they can't, best shows not to mention updated, multi-year volume deals with major studios and production companies, NBA and the Olympic Games.

Again, SOLAR is the new STAR. Even SkyCable and STAR TV cannot beat that.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007 at 11:44 PM by jason13 »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Hmm, makes me want to get a Destiny subscription on top of our Skycable line. Having said that, I don't know why Solar gets La Liga and the Bundes Liga but not the Premiership, which I think is more popular.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
crapERS!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
Teka, may mga SOLAR channels na ba sa Destiny? I can live without the rest of the channels, but it's a must that I have Basketball TV and Jack TV.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
me too....BTV is why i subscribed to sky.  Not now that my beloved celtics have acquired garnett!

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 339
Teka, may mga SOLAR channels na ba sa Destiny? I can live without the rest of the channels, but it's a must that I have Basketball TV and Jack TV.

Oo nga - can someone confirm this please?  Are all the Solar channels available on Destiny?  What other local cable provider has them?  If the Solar channels are discontinued on Skycable, goodbye Skycable.. 

I will also pass this info along to as many subscribers I know..
We deserve better.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20

Right now, the Solar channels are on Destiny except for Basketball TV.

For those considering shifting, let me mention that ESPN/Star Sports is not ALWAYS included in Destiny Cable. Some areas have those two, others don't.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
here in Angeles City, we only have 1 cable TV provider, but fortunate that STAR channels are complete, and Solar channels too...but we didnt have coverage of the US Open......I dont know if we will have that "Balls" channel...
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2007 at 03:12 PM by Munskie »

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
AAAARGGGHHH... Napaka siba talaga ng mga Lopez!!! ABS CBN stuck it to us with a crappy faux reality show in Pinoy Big Brother then also suckered their loyal fans with a rigged game show aka Wowowee... Then there's f***ng Meralco f***ng consumers with unreasonable and unsubstantiated electric bills... and now f***ng SkyCable attempting to monopolize the market...  >:( >:( >:( Hoy Lopez! Grow a heart! Grow a conscience!

Offline Thames

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
according to their ad today  on a philippine star these are the new channels that will replace the solar channels.

foxcrime
kids co.
axn beyond
balls
velvet tv
maxxx

the problem is... baka puro premium channels to at magdadag pa tayo bayad para makapanood.

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
I've already called up Destiny, Basketball TV is available as a premium channel. 200 pesos will be the additional but you will also get SuperSports and some foreign language channels na isa lang ang may subtitle.

Guys, its SkyCable said its a done deal na daw and the contract was not renewed due to commercial terms. SkyCable's contract with Solar will end December 31, 2007. Though SkyCable are currently negotiating to the providers to air some of the NBA games and WWE. I hope they would extend the contract and end it at least after showing the Olympics or if they can beat Solar, I would reconsider disconnecting.

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
according to their ad today  on a philippine star these are the new channels that will replace the solar channels.

foxcrime
kids co.
axn beyond
balls
velvet tv
maxxx

the problem is... baka puro premium channels to at magdadag pa tayo bayad para makapanood.

no, its not premium, those channels will be the replacement for Solar's channels.

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
and here i was contemplataing of getting skycable...good thing im still with destiny. Yup just add P200/month then you get all the sports channels, except ballstv. You get espn, starsports, btv, eurosports, S1, + all solar channels. Hala, lipat na!
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.