Author Topic: SkyCable drops JackTV, BTV and Solar Sports  (Read 38141 times)

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Right now, the Solar channels are on Destiny except for Basketball TV.

For those considering shifting, let me mention that ESPN/Star Sports is not ALWAYS included in Destiny Cable. Some areas have those two, others don't.

Hi. Mr Hankey. How's the signal of Destiny compared with sky?

Offline jason13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
i had destiny before i switched to sky, destiny's signal is super clear compared to sky and less downtimes but it may depend on the area.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 339
Just to help in the decision-making, which channels are exclusively on Skycable and are not offered on Destiny?  ANC for sure, Cinemax, Lifestyle Channel and AXN, right?  I can live without those, but not BTV, Jack TV, ETC/2nd Avenue, Crime Suspense (especially with Solar's promise that they will be showing some US TV series on a same day/date basis here in the Philippines - I hope this is true).
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007 at 10:51 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Just to help in the decision-making, which channels are exclusively on Skycable and are not offered on Destiny?  ANC for sure, Cinemax, Lifestyle Channel and AXN, right?  I can live without those, but not BTV, Jack TV, ETC/2nd Avenue, Crime Suspense (especially with Solar's promise that they will be showing some US TV series on a same day/date here in the Philippines - I hope this is true).

oo nga!!!  imagine Heroes same day showing with the US!!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Hi. Mr Hankey. How's the signal of Destiny compared with sky?

Roughly equivalent for most channels, but in my house, Sky has some channels which are quite poor in picture quality (surprisingly, the Lopez' own Studio 23 is almost unviewable during certain hours of the day), while Destiny has no channels with significantly bad picture quality.

3. The most exciting news for all our clients and agencies which we would like to share with you, coinciding with the start of the new Fall Season this October, 2007, in the United States, Solar will be scheduling series such as Heroes, 24, Prison Break, Sarah Connors Chronicles and Bionic Woman, on a day and date basis with the US telecast schedule.

Wow, nice. Solar is quite smart - this is one surefire way of combating online download/fake DVD piracy. I'm glad I bought a new DVD-Recorder!  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2007 at 10:40 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Wow, nice. Solar is quite smart - this is one surefire way of combating online download/fake DVD piracy. I'm glad I bought a new DVD-Recorder!  ;D

Mr. Hankey, makiki-FTP na lang ha  ;)

If this is imminent, then I guess maraming lilipat sa Destiny.  I hope everyone does... serves them right!!!
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2007 at 11:17 PM by X-Ran »

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I'm moving to Destiny by the end of this year...that's for sure.
Can't live without BTV! The additional Php200 is worth it.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Just saw Skycable's full-page ad in the Inquirer to announce their new channels, with the official statement that all Solar channels will be dropped from their line-up in January 2008.  Skycable said they came up with their new channels based on "consumer feedback, ratings and commercial considerations"?  "Commercial considerations" I can understand based on info that's been posted on this thread, but Skycable thinks its new channels are also reflective of info on "consumer feedback" and "ratings"?  ???  IMO, what I'll be paying Skycable for these channels will obviously NOT be value for money.  >:(  No turning back for the two companies now huh?  So, adios Skycable..         
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007 at 11:37 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline clea

• Collector
  • Hi-dilly-ho-dilly, neighboreenos.
  • Liked:
PAying Skycable for BALLS... nyahahaha sounds weird!
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Toy Launch
Megamall A May30

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
PAying Skycable for BALLS... nyahahaha sounds weird!

well at least you can literally say skycable has BALLS!   ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
Just saw Skycable's full-page ad in the Inquirer to announce their new channels, with the official statement that all Solar channels will be dropped from their line-up in January 2008.  Skycable said they came up with their new channels based on "consumer feedback, ratings and commercial considerations"?  "Commercial considerations"

and they conveniently dropped what consumers will be missing when they take out the solar channels. ::)

darn...solar would be airing day & date of popular series!
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007 at 11:38 AM by DVD_Freak »

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 467
Nako ha, Baka mamaya, pag lumipat na tayong lahat sa Destiny, kukunin uli ng Sky ang Solar at gagawing exclusive to them ha? I remember moving to Destiny when Sky took out StarWorld, Star Movies and AXN. Tapos some time later, Sky took back the Star channels and AXN, nawala sa Destiny and we were forced to move back to Sky!  >:(

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
Nako ha, Baka mamaya, pag lumipat na tayong lahat sa Destiny, kukunin uli ng Sky ang Solar at gagawing exclusive to them ha? I remember moving to Destiny when Sky took out StarWorld, Star Movies and AXN. Tapos some time later, Sky took back the Star channels and AXN, nawala sa Destiny and we were forced to move back to Sky!  >:(

that's not so hard to imagine...lalo na if these new channels are flops.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
aarrgghh.  it is the star channels saga all over again.

this is crazy. i used to be a destiny subscriber and i was forced to switch to homecable because AXN and the star channels were no longer being offered. then i moved and my building only offered sky. now i have to lobby so my building will allow destiny also (i'm hoping this might be feasible since they allow destiny interenet here). bwisit talaga ang sky.

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Is this only for SkyCable's Manila subscribers (remember us over in San Pedro, Laguna still don't have Animax)

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Solar Entertainment Channels will be removed on SkyCable
« Reply #45 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 06:57 PM »
AFAIK, yes, but Sky will also try to get the rights to show NBA, they're actually doing a survey right now on what shows you want. Probably they will air it on their own upcoming channels and NBA is one of the most wanted.

Who cares? I want my NBA...24/7...

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
Re: Solar Entertainment Channels will be removed on SkyCable
« Reply #46 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 08:19 PM »
Who cares? I want my NBA...24/7...

to my knowledge only solar has exclusive rights to cover the NBA games on a daily basis.  this was their come on when solar sports was first aired.  and solar is the only one officially licensed by NBA TV.

Offline jaimsitecom

• Apprentice
  • olrayt!!!
  • Liked:
uy bad trip talaga tong sky ha!  exclusive pa naman na sky ang condo bldg namin so i have no choice! aaargh! kailangan ibraso ko sa association ng bldg na lumipat na kami sa destiny.

btw, yung premium channels ba ng destiny available sa lahat ng areas? sabi kasi ng iba ala pa daw sa quezon city e.  patay ang nba ko! yari

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
between etc's conan o' brien and velvet's the view, i'd have to choose conan! but i would really miss axn and star movies.

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Thanks to Wikipedia, here's a partial channel comparison between Destiny Cable and Skycable Gold (or what channels you'll get - the more important ones IMO - if you can move to Destiny and what channels you'll forego if you cut your Skycable subscription) beginning January 2008:

Destiny Cable                     Skycable Gold
Playhouse Disney
Discovery Travel & Living   
Crime/Suspense
Jack TV
ETC
2nd Avenue
Pinoy Box Office
Turner Classic Movies
Fox News
Channel V
Viva Prime Channel
Solar Sports
Basketball TV (Premium)
DZMM TeleRadyo
ANC
MYX
Cinemax
Star World
Star Movies
National Geographic
Animax
Hero TV
Lifestyle Channel
AXN
Cinema One
AXN Beyond
FoxCrime
Balls
Kids Co (includes Playhouse Disney)
Maxxx
Velvet TV

According to the links, ESPN and Star Sports channels are initially available to Destiny subscribers in Makati, Mandaluyong, San Juan, Manila and Pasay areas only.

Another important factor - Skycable Gold rates are more expensive (P800+/mo).  I don't think the new Skycable channels will give you value for money at these rates.

[Edited by Mr. Hankey: And to compare that rate so you can see all information in this single post, for all those channels listed above, I only pay Destiny P450/mo. Add 200 for Premium daw?]
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007 at 04:42 PM by Mr. Hankey »
We deserve better.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Not so clear cut pala ang choice for me... my kids will definitely miss Animax!  On the other hand, I will miss NBA...

At first glance, I thought Playhouse was a merger between Playboy and Penthouse  :D

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
i don't have cable for now, but i came from sky cable too and is now looking at destiny. one glaring omission for me is national geographic. i couldn't care less about the other channels. that and discovery channel for me. used to be i'm a regular viewer of anc too, but i outlived that already.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
Thanks to Wikipedia, here's a partial channel comparison between Destiny Cable and Skycable Gold (or what channels you'll get - the more important ones IMO - if you can move to Destiny and what channels you'll forego if you cut your Skycable subscription) beginning January 2008:

Destiny Cable                     Skycable Gold
Playhouse Disney
Discovery Travel & Living   
Crime/Suspense
Jack TV
ETC
2nd Avenue
Pinoy Box Office
Turner Classic Movies
Fox News
Channel V
Viva Prime Channel
Solar Sports
Basketball TV (Premium)
DZMM TeleRadyo
ANC
MYX
Cinemax
Star World
Star Movies
National Geographic
Animax
Hero TV
Lifestyle Channel
AXN
Cinema One
AXN Beyond
FoxCrime
Balls
Kids Co (includes Playhouse Disney)
Maxxx
Velvet TV

According to the links, ESPN and Star Sports channels are initially available to Destiny subscribers in Makati, Mandaluyong, San Juan, Manila and Pasay areas only.

Another important factor - Skycable Gold rates are more expensive (P800+/mo).  I don't think the new Skycable channels will give you value for money at these rates.

[Edited by Mr. Hankey: And to compare that rate so you can see all information in this single post, for all those channels listed above, I only pay Destiny P450/mo. Add 200 for Premium daw?]

Playhouse Disney is a separate channel only available on SkyCable Platinum and KidsCo will also be a separate channel that will be available on SkyCable Gold.

Btw, someone posted that AXN is currently under negotiation with Destiny.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 07:27 PM by jason13 »

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
Not so clear cut pala ang choice for me... my kids will definitely miss Animax!  On the other hand, I will miss NBA...

At first glance, I thought Playhouse was a merger between Playboy and Penthouse  :D

hahaha, playhouse = playboy + penthouse, that would be some kind of an adult channel.

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
I saw the ad on the Inquirer last Saturday about the programs on AXN Beyond, Fox Crime, Velvet and Maxxx and the programs don't appeal to me.  :P But I would really miss ANC, Myx, Nat Geo, Star World and Star Movies, and Cinema One which screens some of the best Pinoy classics from Bernal, Brocka,etc.

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
anc? myx? nat geo? star world? star movies? cinema one? paano nangyari yun?

di ba ang mawawal eh mga solar channels?

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
^ Whoops! Sorry for the confusion.Solar channels nga ang mawawala. I was just thinking ahead of what channels that are exclusive to Sky I would miss if I transfer to Destiny to get the Solar channels.

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
Guys, i've read in another forum that all Solar's channels are now exclusive to Destiny Cable. Naman, no hope na ba talaga for SkyCable to have Solar's channels back on its channel line-up.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
i tell you in all certainty, tuloy na tuloy na yung cable lineup ng CPI so malabo na yung pagbalik ng solar in the near future. baka panibagong negotiations na yan.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
just saw a flyer from 'global destiny'. no AXN or basketball tv yet. the other solar channels are included (mostly. i'm not sure if C/S is there though)