Author Topic: SkyCable drops JackTV, BTV and Solar Sports  (Read 38310 times)

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Please note also that mass switchings were feared when HBO, Discovery, and the Star Channels were removed. At one time, Disney is only available in Destiny and many people thought that that would have significant impact on Skycable's sub base. I believe that nothing of that sort happened then (or so as my 'DPAs' inside Sky is telling me). I heard that after almost a year, Star realized that they cannot be not present in the systems of the dominant cable operator hence a 'mutually beneficial' deal must have been closed between the two.

My fearless take on this is that there will be switchers, yes, but not on a volume that would enable Solar to attain its current income from Sky in a short time. I used to be a Destiny subscriber but have to go back to Sky inspite of higher fees. Not really fully satisfied with Destiny's service. My feeling is that they give priority to their cable broadband internet subscribers than the cable tv subs.

Time it seems is not on Solar's side.   :(  :(

on the contrary, what i heard and read is that sky did lose a chunk of their subscription base when they lost the star channels.  though the mass exodus was only felt by sky in the metro since in the provinces, only sky is their option.  thus, even with the lost subscription base, sky might still be the number one cable provider in the phils. 

when star came back to sky..it's not star who initiated the partnership.  it was actually sky who offered star a stake in the company in exchange for having star exclusive to them at that time.

also in my observation....the loss of the solar channels will be much worse than the loss of HBO, discovery and the star channels.  most if not all of those who pay for the household's description are basketball junkies and the loss of BTV.  the phils. being a basketball crazy country would cry afoul with the loss of NBA games coverage which would be a decision breaker when one has to decide to stay or switch.

but you're right bro.  sky is the only cable provider you can say that is really nationwide.  so solar might not get the same exposure from destiny compared to sky.  thus lesser income for the company.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2007 at 12:29 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
You can imagine how much Solar is paying for all the programming that they are putting in their channels (and they don't come cheap). Surely, the ad income in exposure in RPN would not make good business case hence they would really need eyeballs from cable viewership. It will be indeed a challenge for Solar.

Offline jason13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
It is indeed a challenge but Solar already made some other plans to make up for the loss of potential revenue by leaving SkyCable. How?

I think I've already posted this info but I'll post it again. Solar already announced its international expansion plans. They will now offer and market their channels to the whole of Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe and Africa.

Solar maybe already thought if they can't keep up with the largest local cable TV provider, why not go international and global.  :)

Though with Solar's international expansion plans, another competition will set in, competition with international pay-tv content providers, such as STAR.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
hmmm.... currently enjoying my date with Destiny (cable).   :D

harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
^^^^
OOOHHHHH

Nice TV....

Another switcher?
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2007 at 09:03 AM by jason13 »

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
It is indeed a challenge but Solar already made some other plans to make up for the loss of potential revenue by leaving SkyCable. How?

I think I've already posted this info but I'll post it again. Solar already announced its international expansion plans. They will now offer and market their channels to the whole of Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe and Africa.

Solar maybe already thought if they can't keep up with the largest local cable TV provider, why not go international and global.  :)

Though with Solar's international expansion plans, another competition will set in, competition with international pay-tv content providers, such as STAR.

Hmmmm.. Another Star wannabee?
Does this mean that Solar is willing to pay for the international rights of the programs (euro-american progs) that they are currently carrying? That's not cheap! (and bad business plan considering that most  of the programs that they carry may already be available in the areas that they want to target (except maybe in some countries in Africa ;D ;D )

It will be indeed a challenge for them.

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
we can email sky at [email protected] to inform them we'll be leaving by 2008 if they take out solar. maybe if we inundate them with emails, they'll reconsider.

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
another reason to go where Solar goes... the Olympics... based on some teaser ads they are running, Solar may have exclusive rights to the Beijing Olympics

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
they not only "may have"...they "actually have" the exclusive rights...not only the 2008 Beijing Olympics...the package includes the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and the 2012 London Olympics...

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
Previews of Balls, Velvet and Maxxx are now on-air and being broadcast on Channels 33, 25 and 61 respectively.

SkyCable subscribers, now is your time to rate, choose and decide who is best and who is better. Will it be SkyCable/CPI or Solar?

Hehehe....is it a battle, nah, its just a competition for viewership, let the audience decide. Bring it on! =D

Offline Trig

• Collector
  • Liked:
Kung san maraming nba games dun ako hehe. Walang issue sa tv series bec I just watch their divx version. Better quality + Widescreen

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
damn, just got a letter from sky today. this is the first time i heard of the issue. havent been reading the forums lately. hehe

this is truly depressing news. I will miss david letterman. The wife will miss ETC in general.

where is that online petition? And where do i sign?

Let's all do an effort and at least send emails to them about our contemplating on leaving them.

I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Here is a copy of the email I sent. Please make an effort and let your comments be heard by them. I also placed a call thru 6310000. I also warned about my not renewing. The rep asked me what shows I wanted.

SPEAK UP! BE HEARD! ;)

I just got your flyer in the mail.

I am truly disappointed at your decision to pullout the solar channels.
Whatever channels you are planning to put up, it is not enough to compensate. I read your lineup and I am not even excited at anything you have to offer.

On the other hand, my wife and myself will miss ETC and Jack TV. Specifically, the David Letterman Show, America's top model, tyra, project runway, E! news, Leno, Conan, Distraction, Jeopardy, Ellen, The Today Show and other shows on those channels.

To be honest I am not a basketball fan so losing BTV is not a big deal to me. But, i think its pretty obvious that this country is NBA crazy. I don't think  you did market research before removing those channels. I am forced to believe you are doing this for cost cutting or for other political reasons.

Right now I have no choice because I am paid until April 2008. But let me formally warn you that i MAY not renew after April if you don't listen to the consumer's comments.

I hope that the effort I placed in this letter is not wasted.

Thank you very much!

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 342
I called Skycable to ask about the procedure for terminating the cable subscription.  Madali lang pala - you can initiate it over the phone and they said they can have it disconnected in one or two days' time.  They will charge you a disconnection fee of about P300+.  If you have paid your subscription fee in advance (e.g. annually or quarterly), they will prorate your payment based on the date of disconnection and refund the balance.  While the Skycable rep didn't clarify, we all know how long it will likely take to get the refund.  But at least the customer knows that he or she is entitled to get their excess payments back.

When asked why I was inquiring about the disconnection process, I said that, based on the new channels that they plan to air to replace Solar's channels, it was clear that what Skycable will continue to charge for their new channel line-up will not be value for money.  The Skycable rep urged me to give their new channels a chance.  But "Balls / Maxxx / Velvet" vs. "BTV / ETC~2nd Avenue / Jack TV"???  ::)  The rep also said that Skycable is currently negotiating to air NBA games on Balls.  Does anyone know what the terms of Solar's current contract with NBA TV is?  It sounds exclusive to me.  When does it end?  I wonder if this rep is just pulling my leg (which is likely).

Before I hung up, the rep even had the gall to warn me that "baka kayo rin ang magsisi" if I don't give their new channels a chance come January 2008 and if I switch from Skycable right away.  Nice try.  To anyone from Skycable who's reading this thread, better back up what your reps are saying.  Kung hindi, Skycable ang magsisisi...      

« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2007 at 07:25 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
i sent off an email to [email protected] to inform them that i hate the new channels and that i and my friends will be forced to move to another cable provider if they take out the solar channels. i mean have  you seen 'the view'? they just keep on talking and talking and they will not stop!!!

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
Perhaps a more effective mode of action would be to contact/write your congressman/woman or Senators, seeking a legislative inquiry into Skycable's action. It would be very easy for Skycable (or Solar for that matter) to ignore whatever e-mails or online petitions protesting the matter. Snail-mail may have a better chance of generating impact, but they can be easily answered by the office shredder. And I'm very certain that before deciding to terminate the Solar channels, Skycable had already conducted the requisite cost-benefit analysis and concluded that the probable number of subscribers who would cancel as a result is ultimately marginal. (e.g., some people I know are responding by subscribing to Destiny while retaining their SkyCable accounts).

Why Congress? Many of the Lopez Group business concerns operate because they were awarded franchises by Congress (ABS-CBN, Meralco), and Congress well has the right to review whether the franchise-holders are managing their enterprises well. Unpleasant as it may sound, I think SkyCable will feel more threatened by the prospect of congressional investigation and regulation than by the fear that they will lose some of their subscribers. I suspect that many of our representatives will be interested in this issue. Many of them are probably NBA fans themselves, or have family members who are NBA fanatics, and come January 1, even their households will be scrambling to adjust. To say nothing of the members of their staffs who may be into the NBA as well. The more this issue affects their daily lives or routine, the better the chance that they may take action. 

It is highly unlikely that Congress will adopt measures to compel Sky to return the Solar channels, though it might be possible that Sky will feel sufficiently threatened by legislative interference in their business and restore those channels on their own. But for me, the most useful thing that could come out of such an inquiry is the possibility of congressional hearings. Officials of Sky and Solar can be compellled to appear before Congress, and reveal under oath certain matters which I am most certainly interested in learning. Such as the exact terms of Solar's contract with the NBA or for the Olympics; the details behind the termination of the Solar contract; the real score whether Sky (through Ballz) actually has a shot at airing any NBA games. Your local SkyCable phone operator or form chain letter will not be able to supply such information. Once the details are public, the consumer will, at least, have a more informed basis to decide whether or not to stick with Sky Cable.

One might think that surely there are more important things for Congress to deal with. Yet this matter involves, among others, consumer rights, which is certainly a valid political concern. More often than not, Congress involves itself with matters raised by the lobbyists or the powerful vested interests, and it is a step in the right direction if Congress is forced to act not because of those powerful people, but because of a bunch of ordinary consumers banded together. Considering that our representatives may themselves feel the pain as a result of SkyCable's action, that circumstance plus consumer action may very well create a perfect storm.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
i was originally a sky subscriber then switched to destiny.  while destiny offers better channels...i switched back to sky solely for the nba games.

while i don't know when solar's contract with the NBA ends...i believe that solar has exclusive rights to the NBA.  so it maybe BS that sky is negotiating in getting NBA games for Balls.

Offline clea

• Collector
  • Hi-dilly-ho-dilly, neighboreenos.
  • Liked:
Sky and the Lopezes will forever be trying to get away with everything...

First, Meralco and its debts to the govt..

And now, trying to monopolize the Cable network profits for themselves...

They even insert their own commercials blocking AXN's and not being able to return on time...

Too Greedy if you ask me...
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Toy Launch
Megamall A May30

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
no reply to the emails.
damn useless

>:(

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I just realized my AXN channel is inaccessible... I get the message "E19 channel is locked" or something like that... haven't seen anyone mention it here yet so I am thinking it may be a problem with my digital box... ???

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
got a courteous reply from skycable saying that they've tried to work things out with solar but the talks failed and they're asking me to give their new channels a chance.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
got a courteous reply from skycable saying that they've tried to work things out with solar but the talks failed[/u] and they're asking me to give their new channels a chance.

crap!  that's just sky's subtle way of saying that THEY GAVE SOLAR A TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT ULTIMATUM.  BUT SOLAR DIDN'T BITE.

it's actually sky who was playing hard ball not solar.  they were the one's trying to pull a fast one over solar.

Offline Sauron Cookie

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Build me a cookie worthy of my army!
  • Liked:

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
got a courteous reply from skycable saying that they've tried to work things out with solar but the talks failed and they're asking me to give their new channels a chance.

If none of their channels carry The Daily Show, Late Night with Conan O'Brien or Late Show with David Letterman, I can't give them a chance.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
any news on the availability of Basketball TV and the other Solar channels in other cable companies or even Dream TV?

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
FYI, this happened because of the last Pacquiao fight, ABS had a low bid so GMA won. So now ABS is getting back at Solar as they want to replace ETC with their own channel (will be called VELVET); but Solar said all or nothing and it led to this. ETC by the way earns alot of advertising spots for non traditional TV most especially during prime time.

Now for the good news, ETC, CS, NBA TV etc. will now be moving to RJ, RPN9 and SBN. meaning they will now all be on UHF. (FREE TV) plus, Skycable will still be forced to carry them as per the NTC. They will just be moving to lower channels. JackTV tho, will remain available only on cable channels as it is not suited for free TV. (no news yet if Skycable will kick them out.) Solar is now working on strengthening the signals of these channels in time for the transfer.

Blame this all on the greed of the Lopez Group. By the way, i know this because Im a heavy advertiser and this was presented to me personally as a client, it was also discussed during the last ad congress in subic. This is effective Jan 1, 2008. And, this is a slap on the face of ABSCBN, they didnt think that Solar would place it on free TV, now, they have a bigger problem. More competition vs. their stupid shows.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:59 PM by ctlim76 »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Any news on whether or not the move will include Letterman, Conan and Jon Stewart?  ???

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
 :o nOOO!!! i will die! jack tv and btv is my life!!! please anyone... let us know kung saan meron parehong channels na to.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 at 02:38 PM by dmaximus »

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
^^^ they will include all. the channels will continue to carry the programs.

jack tv might be taken out of skycable but will remain in the other cable channels.

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Kawawa iyong nasa provinces, most of them have only Skycable. Hoping Dream TV will carry Solar channels.