Author Topic: Denon DVD-2930  (Read 1019 times)

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Denon DVD-2930
« on: Oct 05, 2007 at 08:43 PM »
Hi videophile/audiophile gurus of PDVD;

I am planning to buy the Denon DVD-2930 universal player because of its outstanding performance and reviews.  This is not a cheap player thats why I seek your advice if this is a worthwhile purchase.  I have the following expectations for this player which I hope the gurus here can inform me if my expectations will be satisfied:

1.  My current 32" wide screen CRT tv has limited video-in connectivity; only S-Video and composite inputs are available.  Can I expect improvement in the S-video picture quality if I use the Denon DVD-2930 against my existing Pioneer 359 dvd player?  If ever there is an improvement, will it be a dramatic improvement?

2.  I do not have a dedicated audio cd player.  Is the Denon DVD-2930 a good, dedicated audiophile-grade player?  Will there be a dramatic improvement in my audio experience?  Or is it better if I just buy a separate audiophile-grade cd player for my audio needs?

Your advice, inputs and comments are highly appreciated as basis for my decision.  Please note that I intend to buy a 37" - 42" full-HD panel this christmas.  I do not plan to get any HiDef player since I like to fully enjoy my existing DVD collection through upconvertion.  I will wait until the HD format war is over.

Thank you.   :)
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline taurus_cute

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Denon DVD-2930
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 11:09 PM »
TO OUR CONFOUNDED PAL: I own a 2930 and could qualifiably say so that its service is gratifying - nonpareil - but I would not advocate it for general use. That 32-inch TV would not be able to show the wonders of the Reon video chip driving the video playback because, one, it is limited by its analog connections, and two, its screen size will hardly accentuate the engineering "hybrid" of the Denon. I also own a 32-inch Philips TV and I wanted to retire it because it could hardly be used apart from CNN news updates, and to pair it with the Denon is like insulting the 2930 itself because the TV is inherently handicapped from showing the player's strength.

The most positive benefit you'll be getting - and this is not authoritative statement from me - from a digital TV when paired with the Denon, is getting the best picture out of an HDMI connection. But only if the TV has HDMI. If it holds none, then the picture resolution you're getting will indeed be bereft of that Denon "cutting edge." It'll hold no visual distinction over the other, more rarified, players from the popular brands.

As to the Denon giving a measurable improvement over lesser-pedigreed brands, I would rather judge the Denon not vis-a-vis the others - but against its predecessor models. Before the 2930, Denon has employed the video chip service of Faroudja or Silicon Image. By themselves, these video drivers are superb - but the HQV Reon simply surpasses them both in its deinterlacing & line-doubling capabilities. My comparison is based on owning the previous 2200 and then the 2910. The improvement leap is penultimate contrast, black level and much more gorgeous color.

The "awful" thing about using the 2930 after nine months of use is that it is bound to spoil its owner - in such a way that he'll consider it technologically anathema to go back to other less stellar brands or contemplate crossing "another fence." The comparison is like this: when a driver tries handling a Ford gasoline-fuelled car with a V8 engine after being weaned almost all his past lifetime on a Mitsubishi L300 passenger AUV - he won't touch the L300 again if given the choice. Mahirap masanay sa luxury, of course, but a DVD player is a consumer electronic machine which practically doesn't need any maintenance (apart from feeding it software) whereas a car is a different kind of mechanical beast.

S-Video by all means still delivers a good picture, but when scrutinized closely by the eye, the Denon would not be able to work a miracle in overcoming the television "lines" that composes the image. The lines would still be in there because S-Video is analog and the TV could not upgrade from its analog manufacture. But you're still getting a terrific picture, better than all the rest of the other DVD brands (for I've demonstrated this in our case - by coupling the 2930 with a 1998 Sony Wega of a 27-inch girth - and the wow picture factor is there. S-Video is Monster THX1000, at 16 feet).

I cannot help out with regards to the audio query. I am old and music holds largely no more emotional resonance for me, hence I cannot tell much whether the 2930's audio DACS can hold its own against the more specialized Harmans, Arcams, Sherwoods or some such names which are mainly audio brands. But if the video engineering is certifiably superb, Denon is likely to compete also with audiophile-grade sound. Its a given really, you'll pay this much - you're getting this much in return too sonically - from the 2930.

I cannot advocate it, in the end, with all-out enthusiasm because my use for it is almost exclusively for giant-screen viewing. This is one case where the 2930 or some such machines, could truly show its innate best. The DLP front projector and the Denon makes for a complimentary coupling and practically every viewing experience is - and I would not tire using the word - magical.

I hope you could experience too that coupling. All the best.....

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007 at 02:38 AM by taurus_cute »

Offline Gwenael

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Denon DVD-2930
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2008 at 07:50 PM »
Hi videophile/audiophile gurus of PDVD;

I am planning to buy the Denon DVD-2930 universal player because of its outstanding performance and reviews.  This is not a cheap player thats why I seek your advice if this is a worthwhile purchase.  I have the following expectations for this player which I hope the gurus here can inform me if my expectations will be satisfied:

1.  My current 32" wide screen CRT tv has limited video-in connectivity; only S-Video and composite inputs are available.  Can I expect improvement in the S-video picture quality if I use the Denon DVD-2930 against my existing Pioneer 359 dvd player?  If ever there is an improvement, will it be a dramatic improvement?

2.  I do not have a dedicated audio cd player.  Is the Denon DVD-2930 a good, dedicated audiophile-grade player?  Will there be a dramatic improvement in my audio experience?  Or is it better if I just buy a separate audiophile-grade cd player for my audio needs?

Your advice, inputs and comments are highly appreciated as basis for my decision.  Please note that I intend to buy a 37" - 42" full-HD panel this christmas.  I do not plan to get any HiDef player since I like to fully enjoy my existing DVD collection through upconvertion.  I will wait until the HD format war is over.

Thank you.   :)

Sir, available ba 'to locally at magkano na ngayon ang price nito? Sa mga dealers ng Denon, kindly pm me your cash price. Thanks
marantz sr8001; dv6001
aaudio 15" coaxial; surrounds
panasonic 42pv70h
sony ps3
hdpro