Author Topic: Oppo 981 Dvd Player or HD-DVD or Blu-ray?  (Read 4096 times)

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Oppo 981 Dvd Player or HD-DVD or Blu-ray?
« on: Oct 09, 2007 at 06:01 PM »
hi! i have a question lng..i was planning to buy an Oppo DV-981HD player kaso i was thinking of buying an HD-DVD or Blu-ray player since it can play standard dvds din..what would you recommend? should i just buy the Oppo dvd player and just wait who will win between the HD-DVD or Blu-ray? thanks!

by the way, i'll be going to use it para sa Panasonic 58pz700u 1080p and Pansonic Ae-1000 projector 1080p na rn..thanks!
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2007 at 06:04 PM by ert »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Oppo 981 Dvd Player or HD-DVD or Blu-ray?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 07:04 PM »
Oh man, I admire you for having a 58" 1080p display & a projector!!  :o

The answer is clear...with that kind of equipments...you certainly have to go for a HD player to do justice for your HD displays!!!  8) :D
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2007 at 07:04 PM by pchin »

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 02:04 AM »
Yes, dont deprive your Pannys w/ upscaled videos make use of their max. potential by feeding them full HD materials . . . sayang theyr both 1080p native pa yata . . . HD is meant for display as big as those Pannys that you have . . . go full HD! pronto

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 07:33 AM »
sir mukhang budget is not a problem with you......better to go HD na, go neutral na rin, it will make your 1080p monitors happy.  And ikaw rin surely will be happy from what you'll see and hear... ;D ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 07:51 AM »
Yes, I suggest you go neutral & enjoy teh best of both formats!  :D

Don't forget to add in a AV receiver that is capable of decoding the lossless TrueHD & DTS-HD MA.

You will achieve a hi def nirvana experience na!  ;D

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 08:59 AM »
Oh man, I admire you for having a 58" 1080p display & a projector!!  :o

The answer is clear...with that kind of equipments...you certainly have to go for a HD player to do justice for your HD displays!!!  8) :D

kaso if i would go for HD which one should i pick? HD-DVD or Blu-ray? kasi as of now there is still no clear winner dba? so i was planning to buy the oppo muna then wait till next year who wins sa format wars..sayang naman kung HDDVD binili ko tapos panay blu-ray na ang gagamitin next time hehe..i'm confuse hehe..or dual format na? kaso mahal naman sobra hehe..

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 09:43 AM »
ert, what's your HDTV size & native resolution?

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 10:57 AM »
Ya I would go for the HD too. I think it depends on the following.
1. What is the size of your dvd library? What percent is region 1? What percent is region 3? Do you always buy Region 1 or region 3..
2. What is your budget for the player 

I really think it doesn't matter who will win, as long as there is a winner. This to me is most important for your stuff not to be obsolete. If both loses out and another hd gimmick/technology comes out, which is true with these electronics, we cant do anything about it. To me enjoy it now..We dont know what will happen in the future. The cheapest way to get into hd is going for hddvd. Players at 300 dollars to me is already a great buy. And you get lots of free disc to go with this. Cheapest for blu-ray I think is still ps3 at 499, but Im not very sure. If you have a huge dvd library, I guess the big question is, are you willing to buy some of the titles again in HD? If you watch hd, Im sure you will.

Again I think the most impt thing is there should be a winner. If HDM dies then you will be stuck with the players and discs. If you buy in hddvd/ and bluray wins for example in the future.. and you have 100 hddvd discs, your collection is not going anywhere. You will still be able to watch them. Your hddvd player is also a great upscaler in case hddvd loses out. This same situation is the same for blu-ray. Your blu-ray collection will not go anywhere. And the players upscale too.

With the hdtvs you have I will really go for hd. No question about it.

Good luck on your decision

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 11:07 AM »
ert, what's your HDTV size & native resolution?

ito yung specs ng plasma tv
Diagonal Screen Size (inches) 58
Aspect Ratio 16:9 (Widescreen)
HDTV Compatibility 1 480p/720p/1080i/1080p
Shades of Gradation 4,096
Native Resolution (Number of Pixels) 1920 x 1080
Contrast Ratio Up to 5000:1

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 11:09 AM »
Ya I would go for the HD too. I think it depends on the following.
1. What is the size of your dvd library? What percent is region 1? What percent is region 3? Do you always buy Region 1 or region 3..
2. What is your budget for the player 

I really think it doesn't matter who will win, as long as there is a winner. This to me is most important for your stuff not to be obsolete. If both loses out and another hd gimmick/technology comes out, which is true with these electronics, we cant do anything about it. To me enjoy it now..We dont know what will happen in the future. The cheapest way to get into hd is going for hddvd. Players at 300 dollars to me is already a great buy. And you get lots of free disc to go with this. Cheapest for blu-ray I think is still ps3 at 499, but Im not very sure. If you have a huge dvd library, I guess the big question is, are you willing to buy some of the titles again in HD? If you watch hd, Im sure you will.

Again I think the most impt thing is there should be a winner. If HDM dies then you will be stuck with the players and discs. If you buy in hddvd/ and bluray wins for example in the future.. and you have 100 hddvd discs, your collection is not going anywhere. You will still be able to watch them. Your hddvd player is also a great upscaler in case hddvd loses out. This same situation is the same for blu-ray. Your blu-ray collection will not go anywhere. And the players upscale too.

With the hdtvs you have I will really go for hd. No question about it.

Good luck on your decision

thanks for the help..mostly region 3 kasi and some region 1..lets say i've decided na sa HD
which one? blu-ray or HD-DVD player? thanks! :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 11:22 AM »
..lets say i've decided na sa HD which one? blu-ray or HD-DVD player? thanks! :)

Perhaps you can do a count on the total movies available on each format that are considered as your "must buy" list. Therefore, you could decide on the format that has the most in your "must have" list. :)   

Alternatively, if you're on a tight budget...with the Toshiba 2nd gen players such as the HD-A2 selling at $240 from Amazon + FREE HD DVDs to boot..it's sufficient to meet all your current requirement.  8)
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007 at 11:23 AM by pchin »

Offline sanmig_ph

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 11:23 AM »
bro ganda ng rig mo under construction pa? im sure ganda ng setup mo pagnatapos.
may nabasa ako na hd-xa2 is very good in upscaling sddvd,this is 1 good choice atleast naka hd ka na & upscaling sa r1 mo na sddvd. meron din 3rd generation na toshiba pero hindi ko pa nabasa review.

magkakaproblema ka lang sa upscaling sa r3 na sddvd. yun din problem ko kaya gusto ko rin sana ng oppo for r3 sddvd purpose kasi mas cheap yung sddvd na r3 . for me hindi ko pa kaya suportahan hd medyo tight ang budget kaya pigil na pigil ako sa pagbili ng hddvd , no doubt ang ganda talaga ng hddvd. ang hirap bumalik lalo na pag old movies na grainy picture, parang vcd & dvd pag nagcompare ka.
kung trip mo palague games instead ng movie ps3 patok din, upscale din sa r3 kung asian version
kukunin mo.
He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 03:05 PM »
thanks for the help..mostly region 3 kasi and some region 1..lets say i've decided na sa HD
which one? blu-ray or HD-DVD player? thanks! :)

Dual format to me is the way to go, that way you will enjoy both. If not, ok this is my analysis, hope this will help you decide:

1. If you have budget of 800 to 1000 dollars on the player, I will surely go dual format.

2. To me 220 usd for a oppo 981 is too expensive, just to play dvds. Some 2nd gen players of hddvd, like Pchin said are already down to 240 dollars.

3. If you go dual format, a toshiba player can play hddvd and upscale Region 1 dvds. A ps3 can play blu-ray and upscale your region 3 dvds

4. If you really want one player only, I would choose hddvd first, for the following reasons: (pls correct me if im wrong on the prices)
 a.) Hddvd players are cheaper. You imagine if you will buy players here in the appliance stores bluray players cost 60 plus thou and hddvd cost 40 thou. Also If you are on a budget especially on buying discs, I would choose hddvd because majority of the catalog titles are 19.95, maybe some are up to 23 bucks. I would buy up on catalog titles (this is what I do), for the new ones it cost way too much avg of 27 dollars. Maybe on new titles you can be more selective.
b.) Catalog titles of fox for blu-ray are sooo expensive to me. 27 dollars. Disney blu-ray is avg 23 dollars. Warner catalog are 19.95 for blu-ray also. There are also some blu-ray titles that hit 14.95 (I think mostly Sony titles) before, but on the avg. the 14.95 to 19.95 titles will even out bec there are only selected titles at 14.95 previously.
c.) There are already so much titles on both on hddvd and blu-ray. So to me won't miss out a lot if you choose Hddvd. However, like Pchin says you can see which movies you really like, which studios then weigh it out and decide which format would be best for you.
d.) the hddvd players are excellent upscalers, but so is the ps3.

If money is no object and you just want one player, then blu-ray is the way to go. You just wont have transformers  :P

P.S. Just dont make sisi to me hehe if hddvd loses out hehe..I just think for the value of money, you can start with hddvd and then in the future buy into blu-ray. If money is no object, buy both, enjoy the movies.. Your gears im sure is/will be kick butt, I would go all out for full potential.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 05:02 PM »
Now we all have heard the man, Moks007 is Neutral hence his advice is unbiased... ;)

I agree with him that if you have the budget or own an expensive HI-FI system by all mean go for both formats! Don't wana have too many players in your AV rack, then those dual format players can be a great option!  ;)

Yes Moks007 I totally forgot to mention the Transformers movie. For all die-hard fans of Transformers, the choice is clear but for those Spider fans...it's the other side of the coin. :)

Offline rx330

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 04:30 PM »
too bad im a transformer fan.... :(

@ert, get both, one player for each of ur display :D

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 10:37 AM »
hi again! lets say na i've decided na for HD-dvd player..which model should i get? masyadong nalilito na kasi ako sa dami ng models like Toshiba a1,a2,a30,a35..which one would you recommend? or does anyone know how much is the cheapest dual format player? i'm thinking kasi HD-dvd dahil sa transformers  ;D then i might just buy a ps3 next time for the blu-ray what do you think? thanks!

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 10:39 AM »
and lets say i already have an hd-dvd player..will it be able to play region 3 dvds? or kailngan region 1 lng din? how about hd-dvd? may mga region region pa ba yun? or how about yung mga lumang p***t*d dvds ko pwede rn kaya un? hehe thanks!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 11:01 AM »
3. a toshiba player can play hddvd and upscale Region 1 dvds. A ps3 can play blu-ray and upscale your region 3 dvds

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2007 at 06:23 PM »
and lets say i already have an hd-dvd player..will it be able to play region 3 dvds? or kailngan region 1 lng din? how about hd-dvd? may mga region region pa ba yun? or how about yung mga lumang p***t*d dvds ko pwede rn kaya un? hehe thanks!

Kabayang Ert, you are able to purchase a 58-inch Panasonic Plasma that is worth about 25x over a Toshiba A3 and 13x over a PS3 and you're still wondering what hi-def format to adopt?   I don't get it.  :) :) :)

Just buy a 1080P A30/A35 and a $399 PS3 and live happily ever after.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
Just buy a 1080P A30/A35 and a $399 PS3 and live happily ever after.

Amen to that!  :D Yes Ert, do give it a try...you will surely love them both.  ;)

Offline thecrowester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2008 at 04:26 PM »

HD DVD players play R1 SDVDs.  P* disks are region-free so you can likewise play them on HD-DVD players.  You get HDMI upconversion also for SDVD content.