High-Def > Blu-ray Content

Natures journey review, where's the BD huge advantage?

(1/1)

Moks007:
One of the first that came out, lets wait for more reviews to come to a conclusion. ;D

http://www.tvpredictions.com/2007/09/high-def-dvd-review-natures-journey.html

Now on to the big question, namely whether the increased bit rate on the BD disc resulted in a noticeable difference in picture quality over the HD-DVD disc. At normal viewing distances, I would have to say no. I watched both discs several times and compared segments of the discs back to back. At 8 to 10 feet from the screen, they looked identical to me. At closer distances, namely 2 to 4 feet from the screen, on just a few scenes did I think that I may have noticed a slightly more detailed picture on the Blu-Ray version. I say I think because the differences I saw were very, very minor. What I thought I was able to discern were slightly sharper edges to some objects in some but not all scenes. However, I very much doubt that I would be able to identify which disc was which in a double blind test the differences were that minor. To spot any differences took a lot of viewing at very close distances. One could very well argue that working that hard to spot differences means that there were no differences at all. Frankly, at normal viewing distances, there were none

dts-HD 3D:
Blu-ray DTS MA . . . 0 out of 5 stars?!

Sayang, the reviewer should've tested it at least on another BD player so we may know if 5.3Mbps sound a lot different from DTS-HD's 3Mbps.

pchin:
Yep, for VQ within a normal distance using the same display it should be no different. Even it has difference, it's hard to discern parang searching a needle on the grass.

I'm more curious on the audio quality as the publisher claims there's a day & night difference....& ordinary people can easily hear the difference daw. Hmm... ::)

For me, it's not a fair comparison btw DTS MA & DTS HR. Essentially on paper, the lossless DTS MA with its higher bitrate should sound better than the lossy DTS HR. Instead they should compare both the lossless DTS MA & uncompressed PCM...now that will be a challenge... :D 

Nevertheless, it's still interesting to see the reviewer's analysis on the DTS MA & DTS HR....yeah, hope he can just play in another BD player instead of keeping us waiting... ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version