Author Topic: Wikipedia says Blu-Ray is Winning...List of Future Optical Disc Formats  (Read 2327 times)

Offline jmigs

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats

List of Past, Present, Future Optical Disc Formats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Home_video
They will never stop until they achive UNCOMPRESSED video.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
wow thank jmigs - interesting read.  clipped a pie-chart from the site courtesy of Nielsen where they track HD sales in the states. ;)

Offline Dunedain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Spartan E
  • Liked:
Er...

Stringer declares stalemate in Blu-ray war
The Sony USA CEO says that the HD DVD and Blu-ray video formats are locked in a battle neither can win.
By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
Posted Nov 9, 2007 4:39 am PT

Aside from playing games, Sony's PlayStation 3 console also lets gamers play Blu-ray Disc movies, in competition with the HD DVD format favoured by Microsoft.

The two have been locked in their own format war, and are fighting to be the consumer's next choice after the current-generation favourite, DVD. HD DVD is backed by Microsoft and Toshiba; Blu-ray by Sony and Panasonic.

In June, major video-rental store Blockbuster said it would be opting for Blu-ray in stores, and many would not have the HD DVD format at all. The company cited the fact that the PlayStation 3 uses Blu-ray as one of the reasons for its decision. In August, it was reported that Blu-ray was outselling HD DVD by 2-to-1.

However, also in August, major motion-picture company Paramount Pictures decided to back HD DVD, and ceased production of most of its Blu-ray movies.

Howard Stringer, Sony Corporation of America's CEO, told the AP news agency that he believes the two formats are now at a stalemate. "It's been a difficult fight. We were trying to win on the merits, which we were doing for a while, until Paramount changed sides." However, Stringer said that he believed it was mainly a matter of prestige, and that it would ultimately not matter which format won out in the end.

He also said that he wished he could travel back in time to before he was made CEO of the company, when he believes there was a chance to unite the camps into one format.

URL: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6182612.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;14
"Were it so easy."

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
This is a very hot topic, believe me.
Fans of HD DVD will find a way to refute this.  ;D
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline Dunedain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Spartan E
  • Liked:
I just hope things won't get out of proportions. The idea is it's unwise to stick to one media for reason "just because". It's always smart to look at all options, weigh things, and see what carries most benefits as the best bang of the buck.
"Were it so easy."

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
This is a very hot topic, believe me.
Fans of HD DVD will find a way to refute this.  ;D

Am sure the HD DVD camp would have their say naturally, but it should be noted that this thread is purely informational and not in anyway forcing that BluRay is the way to go.  One can even question 'Wikipedia' which is a user-drawn knowledge base. ;D 

Well having said that, I hope this thread doesn't evolve into a 'top this' type of correspondence and I'm confident that it won't get out-of-hand like having any ill-thoughts about HD-DVD going forward.  Both HD formats are very much viable options at this point in time so there's no reason to be self-righteous and start judging (regardless of which camp you're in).

Personally, I have a Bluray player but am dying to get an HD-DVD machine to have a broader selection of titles (budget permits).  A number of members are also neutral, similar to some big-time production houses like WB, which I believe is the best way to GO (at this point in time).  ;)  Peace.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
One can even question 'Wikipedia' which is a user-drawn knowledge base. ;D 

Both HD formats are very much viable options at this point in time so there's no reason to be self-righteous and start judging (regardless of which camp you're in).

I agree. Wikipedia is written by users & should only taken as a grain of sault as some articles can be biased. The format war is still raging & may take years before a winner will emerge so it's hard to predict the ultimate winner. I'm surprised Wikipedia says Blu-Ray is Winning....that might hold true for the 2:1 softwares sales but has no indication whatsoever of the final outcome of the war.

Remember Betamax vs VHS? In term of specs, Betamax supposed to be the superior choice. Despite that, it took almost 10 years to end the war & VHS was declared the winner instead. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2007 at 04:59 PM by pchin »

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
That's so true!  ...AND let's not count out yet the current king of the hill, the legendary DVD, which surely won't just go silently into the night.  The price cuts in the vid shops are just staggering, which would likewise impact on HD's growth trajectory (be it Blue or Red).  ;)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
The combined sales of both Blu-ray & HD DVD as compared to the DVD sales is just a tiny portion of the whole pie. Tho the HD consumers are growing..it's a long way to go pa to generate the level of sales similar to DVD. Well, for those HD purple or neutrals...we can just enjoy watching our favourite movies in HD without worrying who will win.

As mentioned by others...competition is good for consumers. Manufacturers can offer quality products at lower prices as time goes on.  :D 
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2007 at 03:15 AM by pchin »

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
The graph states only US sales.  How bout international sales or Philippine sales?

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
The graph states only US sales.  How bout international sales or Philippine sales?

That's funny, no one doesn't seem to have the official worldwide numbers (even outsided this forum/PDVD).  I was able to get another US indicator as of end-Oct : "LOS ANGELES - Blu-ray DVD titles outsold rival HD-DVD titles by almost 2-to-1 in the first nine months of the year, but analysts expect additional HD-DVD support and new hit releases to "transform" the high-definition DVD battle score in the fourth quarter."  There have been a number of claims but I think the general trend worldwide as well is that BD's in the lead but HDDVD has a number of aces up their sleeves in their drive to even the count and induce HD consumers to go neutral : http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;573929033;fp;4194304;fpid;1

BUT the best article I've come across is found below - it's a good read and by far gives the best advice to some overzealous blue / red fencers - "GO format neutral... (and) get a life."  Do check the link below - it's an objective, informative and amusing read ;D
http://www.tvpredictions.com/2007/10/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-no-one-is-winning.html