Author Topic: Mike de Leon  (Read 65273 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Mike de Leon
« on: Jul 27, 2002 at 03:31 AM »
The thin line between genius and sanity

Noel Vera

It's easy to call Mike de Leon one of the greatest if not the greatest Filipino filmmaker who ever lived; he's done only a handful (nine features and three shorts), but every one displays an amazingly high level of technical proficiency.  In terms of sound design, cinematography, and editing, his films sound and look and flow better than almost any other Filipino filmmakers'; it may be argued that De Leon has never made a bad film--that his batting average runs a near-perfect 95 or even 100%.

That said, De Leon does seem to have his blind spots.  He's never done a big-budget picture before (the only one he's ever attempted, GMA Studio's "Jose Rizal," he walked away from after spending so many months and so many millions of pesos preparing).  He never does explicit sex scenes, and almost never shows human sensuality in any form.  He also seems to have trouble portraying women--they are either passive or impotent or almost totally absent from his films.  For all of De Leon's supposed range and versatility, you could almost chart his career on what he will or will not do, as if some complex formula secretly ruled his life.

And perhaps there is.  De Leon's reputation for technical perfection is both boon and bane for anyone trying to assess his films; most critics only see the surface perfection--bow to it, hang garlands upon it, burn incense and chant hosannas to its holy presence.  They don't seem in any way aware of the turmoil beneath that perfect surface, a hidden turmoil the dynamic of which mars as often as strengthens his films, and is the true source of their power.

De Leon's first directed feature, "Itim" (Black, 1976) tells the story of a young woman (Charo Santos) haunted by the spirit of her dead sister.  The film is full of memorable visual sequences--the séance, for example, where Santos is channeling her sister's spirit, the room spinning about as if the camera itself were possessed.  Or the antiseptically white clinic where a photographer (Tommy Abuel) investigates the photographs hidden away by his father, a scene that evokes the otherworldly eerieness of Nicholas Roeg's "Don't Look Now."  "Itim" is such a stylish exercise in atmosphere that you don't really notice that the story itself is actually thin, a mere investigation into a long-past mystery--the bells and whistles of a supernatural thriller (well-made they may be) taking the place of real dramatic conflict.  When the final secret is discovered (involving Abuel's paralytic father, played by Mario Montenegro), retribution is swift, almost anticlimactic; we never really understand Montenegro's reasons for doing what he did, nor do we learn what Santos' and Abuel's ultimate reactions might be to the revelations.

The true interest of "Itim" is its position at the forefront of De Leon's career, representing as it does his first, faltering steps towards true mastery.  He has introduced a few of the characters he will repeatedly include in his films--the malevolent father, the passive young man, the victim/prize of a heroine--but has not yet fleshed them out.  He has struck a note of Gothic foreboding, but has not yet articulated the story he truly wants to tell--that comes later.

De Leon's second feature, "Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising" (Should You Dream, then Awaken, 1977) is more of a character-driven piece than "Itim," delineating a love affair between a young man (Christopher De Leon) and an older married woman (Hilda Koronel).  De Leon himself disparaged the picture, calling it "the proto-Viva Film" years before Viva Studios (known for its glossy middle-class love stories) was established.

What sets the film apart is its introduction of the first true De Leon protagonist--the strangely subdued young man who has difficulty bridging the gap between people, much less the woman he desires.  It's a delicate, fully formed character, as conceived by De Leon the director and played by De Leon the actor (the two are not related).  Where in "Itim" De Leon seems to be showing us what he's learned about atmosphere and style, in "Kung Mangarap" he seems to be showing us what he has learned about creating rounded, complex characters and making them interact in a non-melodramatic manner.

From 1980 to 1982, De Leon did a trilogy of films.  "Kakabakaba Ka Ba?" (Worried? 1980) is a comedy about a band of friends (led by, again, Christopher de Leon) chasing an audiocassette tape made out of heroin fashioned by the Japanese Yakuza; later the Chinese Mafia and ultimately the Catholic Church join the chase.  The film is a mishmash of absurdist non-sequiturs and subtle in-jokes--subtitled Japanese and subtitled Chinese vie for screen space, ultimately finding themselves jumbled together; periscopes pop out of swimming pools to monitor plot developments; a nun belts out a glitzy Broadway number, lifting her habit to reveal a sexily pantyhosed thigh.

De Leon reveals a different side of himself here--the dry wit and satirist, the skeptical observer of human folly; what's missing is the emotional intensity hinted at in his two earlier works.  "Kakabakaba" is a comedy, tinted slightly dark, but urbane and ultimately tasteful--not the kind of qualities you expect from De Leon.  The original story was reportedly much darker, with vicious jabs at the Catholic Church; we may never learn what happened to transform that possibly more interesting project into this lighthearted, somehow insincere romp.

With "Kisapmata" (Blink of an Eye, 1981) De Leon created his masterwork. The plot bears striking similarities to "Itim"--the latter might have been an important first draft--but with a crucial difference: De Leon has freed the father figure stalking the margins of the previous film from his crippling paralysis, and allowed him to take center stage.  As incarnated by Vic Silayan, he is a retired police sergeant with an unnatural stranglehold over wife (Charito Solis) and daughter (Charo Santos).  His claustrophobically enclosed world is threatened when Santos finds herself pregnant, and forced to marry a young man (Jay Ilagan).  Silayan attempts to extend his influence over his son-in-law, who resists; there is a confrontation...

De Leon tells what is essentially a horror story, at the heart of which is a creature all the more terrifying because he's so familiar--a garrulous, unshaven old man with a huge belly and hidden .45 caliber handgun.  He could be someone you know; he could be your next-door neighbor.  Along with that "neighborly" feel is the sense of utter conviction that De Leon brings to the material, to the conflict between domineering father and (yet again) passive son-in-law.  It's as if De Leon knew these characters well--identifies with them intensely.  The film is unsettling in the way it seems so close (because of the intensity) to the filmmaker, the same time it's so close (because of the realism) to you.  As if the gap between our world and De Leon's more forbidding one is as little as, well, the blink of an eye...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
con't
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2002 at 03:32 AM »
"Batch '81" (1982) sublimates the tyrant father into an all-encompassing organization, the college fraternity; for the mental torment of "Kisapmata" it substitutes the largely physical torment of fraternity pledges.  This is possibly De Leon's way raising the stakes, by moving from closed family to closed fraternity, the fraternity standing in for the fascism of then-president Ferdinand Marcos' administration.  De Leon does achieve scenes of intense claustrophobia, though not as intense or claustrophobic as in "Kisapmata"--it's difficult, if not impossible, to improve on an essentially perfect work. An interesting note: De Leon's now-familiar tyrannical patriarch--in the guise of one pledge's father--makes a cameo appearance, in a horrific sequence involving electrocution.

"Sister Stella L.," one of De Leon's most highly regarded works (the film came out in 1984, when Marcos' dictatorial powers were still largely intact), is also, ironically, his least characteristic.  De Leon must have been trying to break new ground by focusing on a strong female lead character (Vilma Santos--as a nun, at that) and her emerging political consciousness.  The end result is a film of excellent craftsmanship (taut editing, intelligent camerawork) in the service of a Pete Lacaba script, Labaa being one of the strongest voices in Philippine political cinema.  It's his milieu and sensibility that shines forth, not De Leon's; the director seems to be subjugating his inimitable style here, presumably in the service of liberation theology. Interestingly, the one sequence that feels most characteristically De Leon--and for me, the moment when the film truly comes to life--is in the torture of the strike leader, played by Tony Santos Sr.

"Hindi Nahahati ang Langit" (The Heavens Indivisible, 1985) was De Leon's one bid for commercial success, an adaptation from a popular "komiks" serial; when the film was released, De Leon insisted on removing his name.  It's one of the few films in Philippine cinema not to display a director's credit; it's also De Leon's one and only boxoffice hit.

Even stranger than De Leon's curious rejection of the film is the fact that the film isn't bad at all--it's actually a smart, tersely told version of a convoluted melodrama, with layers of startlingly complex emotional undertones.  What makes the film truly interesting, however, is the relationship at the heart of the film, between the wealthy young man (Christopher De Leon) and his stepsister (Lorna Tolentino).  They start out as childhood antagonists; when De Leon's father dies, De Leon becomes Tolentino's legal guardian.  He attempts to remold Tolentino according to his image of how a young woman should behave--attempts that Tolentino resists violently.  Tolentino escapes to lives her own life, but their paths eventually cross again, the tension and growing attraction between them no longer to be denied...

If De Leon sleepwalked through "Sister Stella L.," he's wide-awake here, giving the relationship between De Leon and Tolentino his characteristic touches--the shifting roles between dominator and dominated, the unnaturally close family ties, the claustrophobic intimacy between the two lead characters.  That De Leon denies auteurship of the film is a real puzzle, as the film looks and feels so much like a De Leon film...

In the years since, De Leon has worked three more times--on a video feature, a comedy short set in the future, and a black-and-white feature on Philippine national hero Jose Rizal.  The darkly obsessed artist glimpsed in "Itim," "Batch '81" and "Hindi Nahahati ang Langit," that stepped out fully into the light in "Kisapmata," does so one more time for "Bilanggo ng Dilm" (Prisoner of Darkness, 1987)--an adaptation of John Fowles' "The Collector," about a man who abducts women and keeps them in his isolated mansion, trying to subject them to his will.  I've seen the William Wyler version starring Terence Stamp, which is a complete and far more faithful adaptation of the Fowles story.  For Wyler, however, it was a job--to be fair, one that likely interested him; for De Leon, the story apparently holds deeper, more personal significance...

In the meantime..."Aliwan Paradise" (Pleasure Paradise, 1993) takes its characters from Lino Brocka's "Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag" (Manila in the Claws of Neon, 1975), for which De Leon had acted as producer and cameraman.   The short, a segment from "Southern Winds," an omnibus collection of Asian shorts, takes the Brocka classic and projects it into the future, where he stands the premise (that people suffer from hunger and poverty) on its head (that people can live off the entertainment value of hunger and poverty).  De Leon's camerawork in "Maynila" made his name as a brilliant cinematographer, perhaps one of the best in the country, and it put Brocka on the highest pedestal, as the patron saint of Philippine cinema--De Leon's merciless lampooning of film and director is a startling, and rather courageous, act of effrontery. "Bayaning Third World" (Third World Hero, 2000) explores one by one the various means of filming the life of Philippine national hero Jose Rizal, and concludes that not one of them are feasible.  It's a Rizal film about the impossibility of making a Rizal film, as neat a feat of intellectual prestidigitation as anything I've seen in recent Philippine cinema, and a splendid practical joke on the Filipino people.

Judging from his recent work, De Leon seems to have exorcised his demons and is content to do clever, even brilliant, comedies; the anguished artist has given way to the urbane, sophisticated satirist.  Which is fine and good, unless you happen to catch a screening of "Kisapmata," either in a retrospective or on cable, and notice how ten years later it still hasn't lost any of its power to disturb or shock--that, in fact, it's one of the greatest Filipino films ever made.  Then you want to ask: "When is De Leon going to do something worth obsessing over again?  When is he going to do films that matter again?"

(Longer version of article done for the Mike de Leon retrospective at Cinemanila 2002 (www.cinemanila.com.ph), August 1 to 15 at Greenbelt 2, Makati, and at the CCP).

(Comments? Email me at [email protected])
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2002 at 11:05 PM by Phobos »

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Mike de Leon
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2002 at 07:22 PM »
And before this thread closes, just let me say that Mike De Leon is my most favorite Pinoy filmmaker of all.  Not that I've seen much Pinoy movies, but hey. ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2002 at 07:22 PM by flyderman »

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2002 at 11:03 PM »
Who's closing this thread? I'm not closing this thread. God knows we need more threads about Filipino films and filmmakers. I was only able to see Bayaning Third World and I loved it. If it's any indication of what he has done in the past then I'm sure it's all good.

By the way, I took the liberty of using the new Split function to what I initially thought was to copy Noel Vera's post from this thread:

Filipino films

to this one.

Unfortunately, I misunderstood the intent of the Split function. Instead of "copying" Noel's posts, I separated removed them from the original thread and moved them here. Sorry, my bad.

Since the posts are more relevant here anyway, I've decided to live with my mistakes and leave them here. If Noel wishes to re post his article in the first thread, then by all means.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2002 at 11:08 PM by Phobos »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 12:42 AM »
If I have to post here once a month, I'll post.

Incidentally--Kisapmata, a brand new print, is in the works.  

Watch for it!

American Film Institute's Film Comment Magazine did an extensive article on Mike de Leon.  Their conclusion: he's brilliant, and insane.  And they only saw Itim and Sister STella L.; they have yet to see Kisapmata.

YOU guys, all of you, can be bigger experts on Mike than these Film Comment people.  You just have to keep eyes and ears open re: showings of his films...
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2002 at 12:47 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 01:14 AM »
I never saw Sister Stella L .. but so far I did like Itim, Batch '81 and Kisapmata . I do have a copy of the the first and third one ...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 01:24 AM »
You're not missing much with Sister Stella L.  It's more a Pete Lacaba film than a Mike film.  I prefer Hindi Nahahati ang Langit, his one and only komiks movie, and his one and only boxoffice hit.

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 01:54 AM »
I would like to have a Mike de Leon Festival in Brash, if possible.
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 01:57 AM »
i've been kicking myself for the longest time because i failed to catch Bayaning Third World.

i really wish we had dvd's of pinoy movies. it would make getting acquainted with filipino cinema a much much easier job. ::)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 02:07 AM »
People have been falling all over Bayaning Third World without understanding it very much either, I think.  Nestor Torre practically falls on his knees when you mention Mike's name.  That's partly why I wrote the above article--to put all his films in perspective.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 04:10 AM »
I would like to have a Mike de Leon Festival in Brash, if possible.

Well, you own the Brash right ? You can make it happen if you want to ..   ;D I'm willing to make you a copy of Itim and Kisapmata. Geez, I'll even cut out the commercials for you.  ;D

8)
k

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 08:10 AM »
but aren't you in the States, kakabanas?

Noel, do you think you can get access to Mike de Leon films on VHS or VCD?
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Lex Luthor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 09:00 AM »
i've been kicking myself for the longest time because i failed to catch Bayaning Third World.

i really wish we had dvd's of pinoy movies. it would make getting acquainted with filipino cinema a much much easier job. ::)

if you can take the poor quality of VCD but just to satisfy your curiosity of the film, i think VCDs of Bayaning Third World have been around video stores (Astrovision, VideoCity) for quite sometime...
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2002 at 04:45 PM by Lex Luthor »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 02:53 PM »
When or how will I ever see Batch 81?

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 06:22 PM »
but aren't you in the States, kakabanas?

Is that a problem ? I can mail it to you ... or give it to friends going home this December. Either way, it's not going to be too soon though.

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 07:14 PM »
When or how will I ever see Batch 81?

I have a (relatively clear) copy of Batch '81.  So if Joey finds any use for it, I'd be more than willing to lend it :)

So far, I've seen Bayaning 3rd World, Kakabakaba Ka Ba?, and Batch '81.  The first two are just a shock to me-- I never realized a Pinoy could do it!  Batch '81 feels inconsistent, but it's okay.

What's common between these 3 films is that the editing's just great:  great timing, very snappy cuts.

BTW, Bayaning 3rd World is my most favorite Pinoy film as of now.  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2002 at 08:46 PM by flyderman »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 08:51 PM »
 Doy del Mundo (who, I think, is his favorite scriptwriter) and Mike came out with a book (from DLSU Press)  featuring the screenplay of the Rizal that they were supposed to do for GMA and the screenplay for B3W along with some production notes.

Is it true that Mike and Lino Broka had a falling out?
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2003 at 02:37 PM by rmn »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 09:05 PM »
joeypogi, I also have Kakabakaba Ka Ba .. now you "have" 4 films for your Mike de Leon mini-festival.

8)
k

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 09:30 PM »
Doy del Mundo and Mike came out with a book (from DLSU Press)  featuring the screenplay of the Rizal that they were supposed to do for GMA and the screenplay for B3Was well as some production notes.

Here's more info about the said book courtesy of www.dlsupress.com:

Rizal / Bayaning 3rd World

Dalawang Dulang Pampelikula
nina Clodualdo del Mundo, Jr. at Mike de Leon

Ang kolaborasyon nina Mike De Leon at Clodualdo del Mundo, Jr. ay nagsimula noong 1974 sa pelikulang Maynila... Sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag. Si Mike ang prodyuser at direktor ng potograpiya at si Doy ang sumulat ng screenplay na dinirihe ni Lino Brocka.

Pagkatapos ng pelikulang iyon, nagsama uli sina Mike at Doy sa ilan pang pelikula -- Itim, Kakabakaba Ka Ba?, Batch 81, Kisapmata, Aliwan Paradise -- at ilan pang proyektong hindi naisapelikula.

Noong 1996, ginawa nila ang screenplay ng Rizal para sa Cinemax (ngayo'y GMA Films) na gagampanan sana ni Aga Muhlach bilang Jose Rizal. Dahil sa samut-saring problema, ang proyekto ay hindi naging pelikula.

Noong 1997, naisip nilang gumawa ng kanilang sariling pelikula tungkol sa pambansang bayani. Pagkaraan ng mahigit na dalawang taon, pinalabas ang Bayaning 3rd World.

Sa tomong ito, mababasa ninyo ang dalawang screenplay na maituturing nating pinakamahalagang obra (sa kasalukuyan) nina Mike De Leon at Doy del Mundo.

Offline keng001

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 02:14 PM »

American Film Institute's Film Comment Magazine did an extensive article on Mike de Leon.  Their conclusion: he's brilliant, and insane.  And they only saw Itim and Sister STella L.; they have yet to see Kisapmata.

Noel, would you know which issue of Film Comment (month/year) did you see the article? I've seen that magazine at our city library. Hopefully its a recent issue.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 06:45 PM »
I have to ask the durn owner of the durn issue.

Then again, I think it's available online...

Offline quark

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 12:12 PM »
oy joey, i have pretty good copies of itim and kisapmata. actually, we should ask erwin romulo since he's pretty close to direk mike and should be able to have clear copies of any film you want. i think he's also helping score the dvd release of kisap. exciting!

mike de leon is my absolute favorite filipino director and batch 81 is part of my top 20 films of all time :) i don't have a copy so i always obsessively watch it every time it's in a film festival. it's just so craping mindblowingly brilliant. coming in at a close second is kisapmata, the sort of film that just leaves you stunned after watching it because you don't know what to make of it. it's just wonderful that mike de leon is our one and only true feature film artist (and lav just might be the next!) who's never compromised. i hope he makes it to national artist this year.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 08:58 PM »
I have ambivalent feelings towards Mike's films, but yes, he deserves the national artist award more than any filmmaker at present.  Except one, maybe...

Offline quark

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 11:46 PM »
yeah yeah noel, mario o hara :) hehehe. but honestly, i think the fact that mike has never done an explicit sex scene is a sign of strength rather than weakness... especially when you're a filmmaker in the philippines. pretty much every director from lino brocka to laurice guillen and even marilou diaz-abaya have done "bold" scenes, right? i think mike de leon's not doing sex scenes has more to do with him being uncompromising rather than afraid of sensuality.

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2002 at 01:37 PM »
ok that's it. joey i demand a mike de leon filmfest. educate me. i know nothing about pinoy films.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2002 at 03:24 PM »
I think a VHS copy of Batch '81 can be had from the archives division of Sampaguita Pictures, Inc.

Check out: http://www.geocities.com/sampaguita_pictures/p3.html

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2002 at 12:52 PM »
Quark, I really suspect Mike de Leon is a virgin.  Ask Cesar Hernando.  No, forget it, Cesar won't confirm that.

The guy has no social skills. He literally doesn't know how to deal with people, much less have sex with them.  

And I argue this isn't necessarily a weakness.  Emily Bronte kept pretty much to her own world, and wrote Wuthering Heights.  Alfred Hitchcock is terrified of sex (look at his films) and that terror is what makes his films great.  This is the same with Mike, I think--his films are full, not of sex, but of a FEAR of sex and all it represents--intimacy, closeness with an Other, love.  The height, width, and depth of Mike's aversion/obsession on the subject is really a reverse tribute to its power to disturb.

O'Hara encompasses EVERYTHING--sex, sadism, cruelty, compassion, tenderness, intellect, imagination, magic, spirituality, anger, humor and irony (of a dark kind).  Even the point of view of women he can successfully evoke (see Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos)--he's got enormous powers of empathy.  I'd call him the diametrical opposite of Mike, only he's got few social skills himself.  

The difference between Mario and Mike is that Mike is a genius (and madman) who shut himself off in his own world.  Mario is a genius (or a madman) not exactly engaged with the world, but endlessly observing it, every day, from every angle.  He's literally the only filmmaker I know who doesn't use a car--takes jeeps, buses, but his prime method of transport is on foot.  Wals from Malate to Binondo sometimes, via Roxas Boulevard, and back.  

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 2002 at 02:45 PM »
Quark, I really suspect Mike de Leon is a virgin.  Ask Cesar Hernando.  No, forget it, Cesar won't confirm that.

The guy has no social skills. He literally doesn't know how to deal with people, much less have sex with them.  

Wow! Errr.. Perhaps we should ask Doy del Mundo?
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2003 at 08:25 PM by rmn »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2002 at 09:44 PM »
No comment on Doy del M's sexual preferences... ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2002 at 05:45 AM »
By way of special request, am posting this article I wrote on Bayaning Third World...which I have not posted on this forum, apparently...

This is not a Rizal film

Noel Vera

Bayaning Third World (Third World Hero) is Mike De Leons long-awaited film on Jose Rizal.  It took over three years to complete, beginning way back in 1996 with the announcement by GMA Films of a massive, P70 million epic starring boy-toy Aga Muhlach as Rizal.  Then Muhlach left, reportedly because De Leon was taking so long; eventually De Leon himself abandoned the production, to announce that he was making his own, independently produced film.   No less than three other Rizal films were initiated and finished while De Leons picture maturated: Tikoy Aguiluzs Rizal sa Dapitan (Rizal in Dapitan); Marilou Diaz Abayas Jose Rizal (ironically, the same production GMA Films intended De Leon to direct, rumored to have an even bigger--P120 million--budget); and Mario OHaras Sisa.  The picture was invited--sight unseen, mind you--to the Directors Fortnight at Cannes International Film Festival (which it failed to attend).  There were long periods when no one knew what was happening--the project was shrouded in a secrecy as tight and mysterious, it seemed, as Kubricks own latest (and last) work, Eyes Wide Shut.  

I finally saw the finished product last week, and can personally testify to the atmosphere of electric anticipation that hovered over the audience.  Some eighty minutes later, when the films end credits began to roll, an image and six words popped into my mind.  The image: Magrittes famous painting about a pipe, and its enigmatic label.  The six words: this is not a Rizal movie.  

Or, its not a Rizal film any more than Magrittes pipe is not a pipe.  

The film follows two filmmakers (played by Ricky Davao and Cris Villanueva) as they attempt to do pre-production research on a film on Rizal.  The two get into endless, impassioned debates; they propose all sorts of absurdities (Rizal Underarm Spray), and make witty observations (Rizal on a devalued one-peso coin is still number one).  They go out and interview people from Rizals life--his brother Paciano (Joonee Gamboa), his sisters Trining (Rio Locsin) and Narcisa (Cherry Pie Picache), his mother, Dona Lolay (Daria Ramirez), his (reputed) confessor, Father Balaguer (a hilariously villainous Ed Rocha), and his (reputed) wife, Josephine Bracken (Lara Fabregas).  

Their conclusion (people who wish to stay surprised may want to skip to the next paragraph--though doing so may ultimately prove pointless) after much hemming and hawing basically boils down to this: Rizals life is unfilmable.  Its the long, shapeless and rather inactive life of an intellectual bum (something I concluded myself long ago, when I was involved in writing the screenplay of Rizal sa Dapitan).  De Leon (with his scriptwriter and co-director, Clodualdo Del Mundo) go so far as to allow that many interpretations can be made from Rizals life--roughly translated, to each his own Rizal.  But significantly, the film lacks certain basic elements of traditional narrative film: there is no dramatic story, and no recognizable dramatic characters--no one who is changed or transformed during the course of the film (the two filmmakers, who get star billing, are named filmmakers 1 and 2).  Significantly, the last shot of the film shows filmmakers 1 and 2 (stand-ins for De Leon and Del Mundo?) throwing up their hands and walking away from the project.  This is a Rizal movie about the impossibility of making a Rizal movie.  In short, this is NOT a Rizal movie!

Possibly the single most brilliant director of the Philippines (alive or dead) and his closest and best scriptwriter have played a joke on the long-expectant--three years in the making, not to mention the waiting--Philippine public.  And what a joke!  Its long, multi-layered, and elaborate; its richly allusive--drawing not just on practically everything we know about Philippine history and our national hero, but also on everything Mike De Leon knows (which is considerable) about film and filmmaking.  And the punchline works like a time bomb: you may find yourself laughing your head off hours after seeing the film, or--thinking about it a few days later-- chuckling irrepressibly.  Or you may find yourself not laughing at all--to each his own reaction to the film.  

The film is simply stuffed with jokes and references.  The films structure, for example, models itself on Orson Welles Citizen Kane: the first twenty or so minutes is a fast and funny recapitulation of Rizals life and significance (a la Kanes life, recapitulated in The March of Time).  Later the interviews begin, with the different people who knew Kane--I mean, Rizal--bringing up and debating various issues.  One shot, of a Filipino declaiming in front of a huge banner, recalls a similar one in Welles film, where Kane is giving a speech; several times we catch the filmmakers poring over a huge blow-up of Rizals execution, a direct quote from Michaelangelo Antonionis film Blow Up.  De Leons favorite German Shepherd makes several appearances in the film--gently mocking Alfred Hitchcocks tendency to make personal appearances in his films.  

Other jokes: Cris Villanueva, talking to different people and concluding that their lifes story would make a better film than Rizals.  Father Balaguers testimony of Rizals last days in prison, which De Leon mercilessly lampoons in all kinds of subtle ways (having read part of Balaguers testimony, I can say that De Leon manages to make fun of him without once exaggerating him).  My personal favorite, however, is the moment when the filmmakers finally confront Rizal himself (played by Joel Torre): his replies to the filmmakers questions prevaricate hilariously, as befits a true student of Jesuits (What did you do the night before your execution? The Spaniards did what they had to do; I did what I had to do).  

Some reservations: despite the astonishingly wide range covered by this relatively short film, De Leon fails to bring up the matter of money--the difficulty of funding a Rizal film, or any film for that matter (De Leon in the years after his GMA debacle should be more than familiar with the subject).  Lara Fabregas ruins the fascinatingly unreliable character of Josephine Bracken (did she marry Rizal, or didnt she?) with a cartoon English accent straight out of Repertory Philippines--I mean, neyewbahdie tahwks loyk thaht!  And De Leon blunts the sharpened point of his joke with a voiceover statement at the very end of the film--to sit through all that ambivalence and ambiguity, only to have everything cleared up at the very last second!  Del Mundo admits, though, that that final voiceover is still tentative, and may be removed during the films final sound remixing (heres to hoping they do).

Where does De Leons film stand in comparison with other recent Rizal flicks?  I cant comment regarding Rizal sa Dapitan for obvious reasons; for equally obvious reasons, though, I think Bayaning Third World is a far superior film to the monumental Jose Rizal.  The first in its eighty short minutes covers more of Rizals life than the second does in three hours, with more clarity and historical accuracy.  It gives proper--that is, primal--importance to the question of Rizals retraction, framing the issue thus: if Rizal didnt retract, then he stuck to his principles and died a hero (and a heretic).  If Rizal DID retract and returned to the Church, then he went against everything he had written and said and died a coward (or, as I would put it, a recognizably human being).  Jose Rizals implication that Rizal retracted and is still somehow a hero is, as De Leons film so eloquently points out (without once directly pointing it out), a complete contradiction in terms.  

I cant quite call De Leons film superior to OHaras Sisa; both recognize the difficulty of filming the life of Rizal, both use diametrically opposite approaches--Bayaning Third World filling up the gaps with wit and intellectual speculation, Sisa with imagination and heart.  Bayaning Third World displays remarkable ingenuity in trying to make what should have been a dry historical debate lively and involving; Sisa displays equally remarkable ingenuity in trying to make a coherent and even moving historical drama out of an impossibly small P2.5 million ($25,000) budget, shot in ten days (Bayaning Third World, though I cant be sure, must cost at least P5 million or more, shot for over a year).  Calling one better than the other is probably a matter of taste (personally--and I think you can see this coming a mile away--I plunk down in favor of imagination and heart).  Both films, however, should be a matter of modest pride for all involved: Rizal finally, brilliantly deconstructed on film--twice.  This may not be a Rizal film, but its a remarkable Rizal film nevertheless.

(Comments?  Mail me at <[email protected]>)

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2002 at 05:50 AM by Noel_Vera »