Author Topic: Mike de Leon  (Read 66112 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mike de Leon
« Reply #120 on: Nov 13, 2004 at 08:57 PM »
When I asked Ricky Davao how he reacted when he first got hold of B3W's script, he had this to say: " Hindi ko maintindihan talaga. Habang nag sho-shooting  kami, at hanggang sa huli, sinusubukan ko pa rin siyang intindihin. Kaya nagulat  ko kapag sinabi ni Mike de Leon na 'cut!', tawa siya ng tawa. Hindi ko alam, black comedy pala siya at serious na serious naman yung acting ko. Had I known na black comedy siya, I would've changed my acting style."
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2004 at 09:30 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #121 on: Nov 14, 2004 at 11:44 AM »
Had I known na black comedy siya, I would've changed my acting style."[/i]

Which is probably why Mike didn't tell him... ;D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Dec 15, 2004 at 04:34 PM »
Five points to those who can answer this. (Noel, your disqualified from this one)

Who is xox and what is his relation to Mike de Leon?

Offline nailbiter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 02:40 AM »
B3W, the Filmmaker's Dog. Mike's dog. What do I win? ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 01:08 PM »
I didn't know that!  >:(

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Jan 03, 2005 at 04:49 PM »
Mike on Sister Stella L:

"It looks dated to me...to didactic. But I guess we were all sincere."

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Jan 03, 2005 at 07:54 PM »
From Sister Stella L also......the eccentric Mike de Leon would get notes from Father Remy Monteverde stressing that they were businessmen, not political propagandists.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 12:57 AM »
From Sister Stella L also......the eccentric Mike de Leon would get notes from Father Remy Monteverde stressing that they were businessmen, not political propagandists.

Which is funny because looking at the film you'd be hard pressed to name just what business the factory is in, much less what the workers are striking about. It looks like one of many textile factories, but you get a better sense of detail about the workings of the business in Brocka's Bayan Ko (another script by Pete Lacaba, who I consider the real autuer of these films).

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 07:40 AM »
Was searching for a Mike de Leon film in the net, instead I found this article. If I'm right this is the one Noel had mentioned in his posts early in this thread. This was previously published in Film Comment. Read on:

A Season of Philippine Cinema.

This past summer's festival of Philippine cinema at the Film Society of Lincoln Center's Walter Reade Theater was haunted by many ghosts. Most obviously, there was that of the Lino Brocka, the eminent director who died only a few years ago and whose work was retrospectively spotlighted. Ghosts figured prominently as well in the exhibition of three films directed by the elusive Mike De Leon, underscoring both the process of production and the precariousness of the medium.

First of the De Leons to be shown was The Rites of May/Itim (76), presented in a decent print from the British Film Institute that has only just begun to turn red. Jun is a young urban photographer returning for a visit to his rural home. He wanders the village snapping photos, including one of a beautiful young woman. He develops the photo and gives it to her when he encounters her again the next day in a church. The woman, Teresa, is understandably surprised, but they talk and soon become friends. He visits her home, where he sees a picture of her sister Rosa who has passed on; she visits his home, where she has a strange encounter with his ailing father.

Shot in a sparse, long-take style, Rites boasts a drifting soundtrack composed of equal parts oozing strings and psychotronic keyboard, mixed with just a dash of talk and freaked-out screaming. The film, too, drifts leisurely as Jun and Teresa's friendship develops, interspersed by the rush of a few short flashbacks, then breaks in a tidal wave of emotion and flashbacks when everyone comes together for Teresa's invocation of her sister's spirit, when all the secrets come out. It is a film worthy of comparison to those masterpieces of the precise long take and religious/philosophical reflection on the photographic image championed by the world cinema critical guard -- which is to say, the works of directors such as Dreyer, Ozu, Tarkovsky, or Kiarostami. I saw it one afternoon with about seventy-five Filipinos (including the film's writer, Gil Quito, who answered some questions afterward), Filipino-Americans, and others. It was an experience that will haunt at least one of us for some time to come.

De Leon's Batch '81 (82) was shown in a print housed at the Cultural Center of the Philippines whose colors have swirled into a light mahogany. A group of college students -- the "batch" of the title -- enlist in a fraternity and are submitted to an extensive hazing that is a clear allegory for the indoctrination effects of modern life. Things start out innocently enough. The guys are blindfolded and stripped before the senior members and, apparently, a group of women. Then they are paddled, blindfolded, sent running through the streets in their underwear, and instructed to call their seniors "master." The film gradually accelerates into pure mayhem. Scissor-pinches are applied to nipples, a number from Cabaret is performed in drag, a pledge is given electric shocks in front of an American observer (implying that the fraternity is a training ground for foreign powers), there is a drowning and finally an interfraternity rumble that leaves several dead.

In addition to Cabaret, Batch '81 is haunted at moments by such other intertexts as Potemkin and (according to Robert Stam) German director Volker Schlondorff's early film Young Torless. But the most obvious point of departure is Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. One character dresses like Alex and his droogs, and the electroshock scenes recall the Ludovico treatment. During brawl scenes the camera breaks free from the customary austere long-take style, and moments of extreme violence are captured in stylized slow motion. The drone of a synthesizer creates an ironic counterpoint to the image, rather than an emphatic underscore. In both films, modern education is presented as a stripping of individuality, an accession to totalitarianism. Both are misanthropic, thinly disguised condemnations of their surrounding political environments, and scenes of violence and torture in both have provoked astonished cries from the audiences with whom I've seen the films. (An overhead light near the screen kept flashing on and off during the showing of Batch I attended; it seemed appropriate, as if the film's madness had infected the theater's wiring.) I would need to know Tagalog and be more familiar with Filipino cultural history to be able to truly judge De Leon's accomplishment against Kubrick's, but that the influence can be considered as more than doting hommage should suggest what a wallop the film packs.

The third and final print, also from the Cultural Center of the Philippines, had faded the least. Hardly a ghost story and not directly related to any film I know, Sister Stella L. (84) stands firm on its own as a solid, gritty piece of filmmaking. Workers at a cooking-oil plant have gone on strike; they are joined by two nuns, both named Stella, and a reporter who was once the boyfriend of one of the nuns. The nuns are threatened with excommunication, and the reporter's stories are barred from the magazines where he customarily publishes.

The style of Stella differs sharply from that of the previous two De Leon films. Instead of consistently long, steady takes roughed up by moments of swift montage, Stella is mostly standard shot-reverse-shot the whole way through. A few moments stand out, such as a woman's suicide, the subsequent mourning, and her burial conveyed in an elliptical series of five or so shots over about fifteen seconds; some public speaking events presented in very brief shots, jumping about at abrupt angles; some didactic direct-to-camera addresses against a plain white background. The film ends with such a shot, an explicit call to action for the Filipino people. The Walter Reade audience responded with cheers. Not as stylistically audacious, yet just as rigorously constructed as the previous two films, Sister Stella L. communicated its message effectively and elegantly to an audience of around two hundred Filipinos, Filipino-Americans, and others, fourteen years and tens of thousand of miles away from where it was made. That is quite an accomplishment.

One of the fundamental difficulties in writing about non-Hollywood cinema is a lack of materials, and when the films are from a land that has been as embattled over the first century of cinema as the Philippines has, the difficulty is compounded infinitely. Ephraim Katz's indispensable Film Encyclopedia, the first reference for every dedicated cinephile I know, has no entry on De Leon or on Philippine cinema in general. There is a brief note of one hundred or so words on Lino Brocka, as there are for other Third World auteurs who have shown regularly in Euro-American film festivals, such as Ousmane Sembene of Senegal, Satyajit Ray of India, or Youssef Chahine of Egypt. Other standard references, including recent single-volume histories of cinema, are necessarily selective. Of these, Kristin Thompson and David Bordwell's Film History: An Introduction offers the best overview of many Third World industries, including that of the Philippines, merging industrial and stylistic concerns. More focused accounts, such as John A. Lent's The Asian Film Industry, are often invaluable industry surveys, but details of personal history or film style are necessarily limited. When searching for such details, the critic or historian is fortunate to be in contact with people personally linked to the industry, such people as I was able to meet during the festival, and who provided me with some more extensive background.

(continued in the next post)

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 07:42 AM »
(continuation of the mike de leon article):

The De Leons have long been an important family in Philippine cinema. Grandfather Narcisa was the founder of LVN, one of the vertically integrated "big three" studios modeled after the U.S. majors that were constructed soon after Philippine independence from the U.S. in 1948. Manuel, Mike's father, inherited the franchise and became a prominent producer, and Mike grew up surrounded by the business of cinema. He emerged on his own during the Seventies, when many former critics and studio children, among them Ishmael Bernal and Eddie Romero, as well as Brocka and De Leon, made up a Philippine New Wave. Like so many of their peers in New Wave movements across the world, filmmakers in the Philippine New Wave worked on one another's films and were often notably critical of conditions of film production, distribution, exhibition, and criticism. Their influence and prestige peeked in the late Seventies and early Eighties, winning local awards and earning recognition at European festivals such as Cannes. Apparently De Leon is still an important producer and occasional filmmaker, but his productivity has been slowed by inherited mental illness, a condition that may have become more pronounced because of domestic turbulence as well as the acute material and psychological difficulty inherent in filmmaking in the majority of the world. His most recent film was actually a video, made in association with Sony, which was experimenting with setting up video theaters to promote locally produced product. Today, he lives quietly in Metro Manila.

In this era of the new vertical integration of film production, distribution, exhibition, criticism, and preservation, it's entirely possible that none of De Leon's films will ever again be seen theatrically, anywhere. For those of us who were lucky enough to have been in the right place at the right time, this made the experience that much more precious, that much more haunting.

Ray Privett, who wrote about In the Company of Men in July-Aug97, thanks Joel David and Felicidad Lim for research assistance.

COPYRIGHT 1998 Film Society of Lincoln Center
COPYRIGHT 2000 Gale Group

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 08:57 AM »
That's the one. Think what he'd have to write about if he saw de Leon's real masterpiece, Kisapmata. Or even that video feature, Bilanggo sa Dilim, which is creepier than the William Wyler version ever was...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 05:27 PM »
What could be his next film? He is one of the saving grace of Philippine cinema.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Feb 16, 2005 at 02:33 PM »
Mike de Leon's dad, Atty. Manuel de Leon, longtime general manager of LVN and the first director-general of the Film Academy, just passed away recently.

I saw Mike de Leon yesterday during the premier of Erwin Romulo's film Camiling Story.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2005 at 12:48 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Feb 17, 2005 at 05:22 AM »
o'hara's dad passed away recently too--2002, i think. mom's still alive.

tragic.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Apr 18, 2005 at 01:28 PM »
I just found out that Mike did a docu on the political situation during the cory presidency entitled, if i'm correct, sigma.

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Apr 18, 2005 at 02:11 PM »
Has anyone seen Mike's pre-Itim shorts, Bisperas and Monologo ?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2005 at 10:12 PM »
Heads up, folks!

KISAPMATA is currently being shown on Cinema One.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 02:13 PM »
A newly restored version of Kakabakabakaba? has just been completed. Not only was the picture cleaned up, but the sound and folley was also restored and enhanced.

As of what I was told,  the DVD box set Mike will release includes Portrait of an Artist as Filipino, Maynila sa Kuko, and Bayaning Third World.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 02:41 PM »
Any hopes of Kisapmata having a DVD release?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 03:09 PM »
There's a restored print, so let's hope that it gets to DVD.

BTW, the master copy of Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising has succumed to vinegar syndrome. :(

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 08:12 PM »
I hope they can restore also Mike de Leon's BATCH 81 and his first feature ITIM.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 10:26 PM »
There's a restored print, so let's hope that it gets to DVD.

BTW, the master copy of Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising has succumed to vinegar syndrome. :(

Damn.

It's sad. But if that were Kisapmata, I'd be in hysterics. :P

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Jul 08, 2005 at 09:30 PM »
VILMA SANTOS on SISTER STELLA L

"Would you believe, I didn't take this movie seriously. But all the words that I said in that movie has meaning."

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 02:38 PM »
Has anyone here seen the original version of Sister Stella L., the one with additional 5 mins worth of footage of the Lakbayan rally in end? I hear that the action shots that Mike took of the rally is very powerful.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 07:30 PM »
Has anyone here seen the original version of Sister Stella L., the one with additional 5 mins worth of footage of the Lakbayan rally in end? I hear that the action shots that Mike took of the rally is very powerful.

Haven't seen it RMN, is this the scene after the monologue of Vilma Santos?  ???
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2005 at 07:42 PM by keating »

Offline Max

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Jul 27, 2005 at 08:13 PM »
I finally got a chance to see Itim and Kisapmata.
The lack of subtitles was a problem especially for Kisapmata.
I was able to fully enjoy Itim, though. I have to thank all the kind guys who helped me to see this movie. It proved my theories, but aside from this, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MOVIE!!! It has some really impressive scenes that stand in my mind. I, beeing italian, am as sensible as filippine people to christian religion issues, and the scene in the church with all the Jesus Christ statues is visually impressive!
I would like to talk about it longer, noting the similarities with Kaidan kasane ga fuchi by Nakagawa Nobuo and The innocents by Jack Clayton, but I'm too busy with finishing my thesis.
I need some help again.
I generally understood Itim, but there are some points that still are not completely clear. Can someone help me?
SPOILERS
ITIM
I would like to better understand what was the relationship between the father of the photographer and the dead sister. He was a surgeon and the girl had an abortion. I guess the baby was their, but why kill the baby? And above all, why kill the girl and throw her in the lake?
Then , if the father knew he killed the sister, why did he accept to take part to the séance with the espiritista and everybody?
So why he is a "Criminal!!!"?.
Could you also please shed some more detail on the reasons why the father had an accident and is in a wheel chair?

KISAPMATA
Well, here the lack of subtitles is a disaster. They talk a lot and I didn't understand anything, except for the morbid attachment of the father to the girl and the shocking ending. Why the father first oblidge Jay Ilagan to marry Charo Santos and then prevent him even to see her or call her on the phone?
Here I think I need a more detailed summury of the film story.

Please, help me, even write a personal email if you don't want to spoil the stories of the movies. I have to hand over the thesis Friday, so, please, answer me within tomorrow. Salamat!

Offline Max

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Jul 27, 2005 at 08:18 PM »
On Senses of Cinema there is a new article:

3rd World Hero: Rizal and Colonial Clerical Power Through the Lens of Philippine Third Cinema by Antonio D. Sison

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/05/36/3rd_world_hero.html

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Jul 28, 2005 at 09:44 AM »
If you've Seen ITIM and the old b/w LVN film Mutya ng Pasig starring Delia Razon, you'll see similarities between the two. Therefore, it is not unlikely that Mike saw Mutya at some point in his life (after all, it was LVN produced) which gave him some inspiration.

Oh, I just found out that Mike also directed the official "music video" of EDSA 1.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2005 at 09:49 AM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Jul 29, 2005 at 06:10 AM »
SPOILERS

ITIM

I would like to better understand what was the relationship between the father of the photographer and the dead sister.

They were lovers

He was a surgeon and the girl had an abortion. I guess the baby was their, but why kill the baby? And above all, why kill the girl and throw her in the lake?

Fear of scandal, especially in that earlier time. The father is a respectable figure in society and the affair and abortion would be a serious stain. Think Vertigo and the story of Carlotta Valdez (only there the man took the baby away from the woman; Mario Montenegro (the photographer's father) is powerful but not that powerful).

Then , if the father knew he killed the sister, why did he accept to take part to the séance with the espiritista and everybody?

He had no choice; he's paralyzed.

This was my main complaint vs. Itim compared to Kisapmata. Both are beautifully shot, and Itim is more openly gothic in style (Kisapmata's visual style is more understated, which is closer to Mike's ideal). But Itim's antagonist is paralyzed, and therefore passive; he's the bad guy, but he can't do anything, so there's not much tension except for what Mike can drum up with his cinematography. I tend to think of Itim as a first draft of Kisapmata, where the father is fully realized: there, the father takes center stage, is a fully malevolent figure, and actively creates the final tragedy.

So why he is a "Criminal!!!"?.

Because he's a man--rich enough and powerful enough to do what he wants.

Could you also please shed some more detail on the reasons why the father had an accident and is in a wheel chair?

Because of a stroke, if I remember correctly.

KISAPMATA

The lack of subtitles is a disaster

That's a shame; the dialogue is excellent, adds much to their respective characters (the father and mother talk in Ilocano, and the sense of a private relationship, of terrorist and terrorized in a language no one else can understand, is very palpable). I might also add that there is something of the character of Mike de Leon in both the boyfriend/husband AND the father...

Why the father first oblidge Jay Ilagan to marry Charo Santos and then prevent him even to see her or call her on the phone?

He felt he didn't have a choice; a pregnant unmarried daughter is a huge scandal, especially for an old-fashioned family like theirs.

You need to realize that in the Philippines, face and honor is considered almost more important than actual wealth and power (the exceptions are never openly so, and are a source of much of our drama).

Once married, the scandal is past; now that the daughter has a legitimate spouse the father little by little usurps the husband's role. You also need to realize that the baby is probably the father's and not the boyfriend/husband's--which is probably why the girl went to bed with her boyfriend (to provide a less shocking source for her impregnation) and why the father so desperately wants the daughter and her child with him.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Jul 29, 2005 at 10:10 AM »
Mario Montenegro's character, the surgeon, got into a car accident.