Author Topic: Mike de Leon  (Read 65858 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mike de Leon
« Reply #150 on: Jul 29, 2005 at 04:23 PM »
Does anyone here know anything 'bout the theme music of Batch '81? I believe it was culled from a classical piece and I heard it as a ringtone just earlier! :D

Offline Max

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Jul 29, 2005 at 05:28 PM »
SPOILERS

ITIM

They were lovers

Fear of scandal, especially in that earlier time. The father is a respectable figure in society and the affair and abortion would be a serious stain. Think Vertigo and the story of Carlotta Valdez (only there the man took the baby away from the woman; Mario Montenegro (the photographer's father) is powerful but not that powerful).

Thank you so much Noel! You will have a mention in my thesis and Jojo De Vera too.

So, Mario Montenegro had an affair with this woman, that was clear, but the scandal is because she becomes pregnant before marriage or because Montenegro was already married? And the abortion and omicide is a planned crime? I mean: I suppose she agreed with Montenegro on the abortion. But the killing of the woman was the fruit of an incident during operation or he purposedly killed her because that was his previous plan to conceal the scandal?
Sorry to ask again, I suppose the second guess is the right one, but I need a confirmation on my clear understanding.

KISAPMATA
Thank you for the explanation. The abundance of dialogue in this movie prevents me to fully appreciate it untill I will be able to watch a subtitled copy, but thanks to your added details I better understand the dynamics of the characters. I suspected there was an incest issue, and that clears all. It's a shame I can't understand the dialogues between the father and the boyfriend/husband's family: I can't catch the feeling of the slow process with wich the father sends the husband away from his daughter.
I hope one day there will be a retrospective: the movies are very good and it will be a discovery on Philippine cinema for European public.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #152 on: Jul 30, 2005 at 06:30 AM »
The woman was an extramarital affair; the photographer's mother of course is a different woman.

It's mainly the father's lines in Kisapmata that are so fascinating. He comes off as a very loud old man next door the kind you see all the time; it's only when he's quiet that you feel the danger (see the scene where the wife tries to sneak past her husband).

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Jul 31, 2005 at 04:55 AM »
On Senses of Cinema there is a new article:

3rd World Hero: Rizal and Colonial Clerical Power Through the Lens of Philippine Third Cinema by Antonio D. Sison

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/05/36/3rd_world_hero.html

Excellent article, though I wish he was clearer when he wrote this:

the most notable of which was Jose Rizal by acclaimed director Marilou Diaz-Abaya. A record-breaking (by Philippine standards), US$2 million biographical epic, Jose Rizal went on to become the most successful Filipino film of all time...she also settles a bitterly-debated issue once and for all: Rizal’s alleged retraction of his strongly anti-colonial and anti-clerical writings. In Diaz-Abaya’s film, Rizal is the prodigal son who returns to the colonial Catholic religion of his oppressors and renounces the very works that “served to restore dignity, self respect, pride, and patriotism among the Filipinos”. (3)

That made me sit up, because I thought he was implying Diaz-Abaya's movie settled the retraction issue instead of actually confusing it further (he retracts AND he's a hero?). He goes on to question Diaz-Abaya's film so my complaint is mostly on clarity rather than accuracy.

Tho I question the assertion that Rizal is the most successful Filipino picture of all time. According to Arlo Custodio of the Sun-Star (who follows this sort of thing), it's Tanging Yaman. Again, a minor point.

And here's my altogether less scholarly, more populist thoughts on Bayaning Third World (for some reason it's acquired all kinds of strange formatting, so my apologies; maybe you can cut and paste it to a word processor and clean it):

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/noelmoviereviews/message/124

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
Re:Mike de Leon
« Reply #154 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 03:32 PM »
Doy del Mundo (who, I think, is his favorite scriptwriter) and Mike came out with a book (from DLSU Press)  featuring the screenplay of the Rizal that they were supposed to do for GMA and the screenplay for B3W along with some production notes.

Is it true that Mike and Lino Broka had a falling out?

maybe it was after Maynila.  accdng to my source the original script is very baad. puro flashbacks. he had it re-written . he added the gay contents.so lino co-wrote maynila and most of his films.
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2005 at 03:32 PM by edsa77 »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Aug 04, 2005 at 02:46 PM »
De Leon and Brocka had a falling out during the filming as well, to the point that de Leon ordered the crew to pack up, or so I hear. He's the producer, after all.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 05:53 PM »
Its about time that Ricky Lee work with Mike de Leon again, after all he contributed to the success of ITIM, his directorial debut, although Lee removed his name from the credits.

He should not waste his talent in writing giving most of his work/stuff to Joel Lamangan.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2005 at 05:55 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Aug 09, 2005 at 03:18 AM »
It's about time Mike worked again, period.

I don't think Mike and Ricky worked all that well together. Mike seems more comfortable with Doy.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 01:57 PM »
When will the government bestow to him the NATIONAL ARTIST AWARD? Mike de Leon surely deserves it!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 02:05 PM »
When he makes a few more hits? Sometimes I wonder at their criteria...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 02:12 PM »
Just one hit I think is enough and that's not the gauge......just try to look at his track record and filmography. Various films in genre all reaped critically acclaim.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2005 at 02:13 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 06:13 AM »
Just one hit I think is enough and that's not the gauge......just try to look at his track record and filmography. Various films in genre all reaped critically acclaim.

I don't gauge artists by their awards at all. This is at most an amusing exercise, wondering what kind of mental somersaults whatever jury has to go through to think of Mike for a National Artist Award. He don't need no stinkin' award!

Offline qbaokitty

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 02:18 AM »
When will the government bestow to him the NATIONAL ARTIST AWARD? Mike de Leon surely deserves it!

he probably won't accept it anyways -)  Mike de Leon should have COMPLETELY STARTED and FINISHED his FILMEX version of Rizal sa Dapitan.  This was prior to Abaya's take on the exiled hero.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2005 at 02:29 AM by qbaokitty »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 03:16 AM »
Mike has never been comfortable with big budgets; that's why he never pushed through with the Filmex production. His Bayaning Third World is all the better for it, I think.

Offline qbaokitty

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 04:02 AM »
Mike has never been comfortable with big budgets; that's why he never pushed through with the Filmex production. His Bayaning Third World is all the better for it, I think.

Yeah, think so 2.  Besides, he wasn't given the right people to work with.  Especially the management side.  That RIZAL SA DAPITAN movie needs at least a year of pre-production in order to execute it based on Doy's script and Mike's requirements

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Aug 28, 2005 at 12:15 PM »
Rizal sa Dapitan is Tikoy Aguiluz. Bayaning Third World is Mike's. And Sisa is Mario O'Hara's.

Offline qbaokitty

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Aug 28, 2005 at 01:13 PM »
correction nga - it's RIZAL lang for the never produced epic Rizal movie by Filmex which Mike was supposed to direct

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 06:01 PM »
MARK GIL on BATCH 81

"I was very lucky to worked with MIKE DE LEON. When I first read the script, I knew this is me. SID LUCERO is me!"

8)
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2005 at 06:10 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 06:47 AM »
last Saturday I had lunch with Ricky Davao... he was here for two weeks visiting and also for a show that he headlined at Perlas Ng Silangan. anyway, I asked him about his experience working with Mike de Leon and he said na hindi naman daw siya nahirapan. there was only one time na nagalit siya at itigil ang shooting ng Bayaning 3rd World for 3 months. he felt priviledged having worked with him.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 08:28 AM »
there was only one time na nagalit siya at itigil ang shooting ng Bayaning 3rd World for 3 months.

Only Mike de Leon!  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 02:59 PM »
Rio Locsin & Cherie Pie Picache recalls that during the making of BAYANING THIRD WORLD, there was what you call a "red light" on the set. Pag naka-red, you can't talk to him, pag off, you can!

It's tough relating to a genius......really tough like MIKE DE LEON!  8)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 02:17 PM »
Prolly the person who I think can get into Mike's psyche is not Kuya Cesar or Doy but Erwin Romulo!

That leaves ERWIN ROMULO is the only person who can understand Mike?  :o I should have talked to him RMN during the poster auction by Teddy so that I can get a copy of behind the scenes of ITIM & BATCH 81!  :D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 05:32 PM »
A handful of people have told me that Sister Stella L. is really a Pete Lacaba film and that one can barely see any trace of Mike's signature touch. But what I'd like to know is this: What makes Di Nahahati ang Langit a Mike de Leon work? Since he took his name out of the credits, and it's a melodrama based on a comics material, would you get any hint that he actually directed it?
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2005 at 05:36 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 01:46 PM »
Well, what makes Sister Stella more Lacaba than de Leon is that it actually shows political activism, the only de Leon film to do so, and it wears its activism on its sleeve--again, the only de Leon film to do so. There is political subtext in many de Leon films, but it remains subtext--no speeches, no overt themes, and no speaking directly at the screen (again, Sister Stella is the only de Leon film to have this device).

Hindi Nahahati, on the other hand, shows a man manipulating a woman--a theme shared by Itim, Kisapmata, Bilanggo sa Dilim and even to some extent Bayaning Third World (Josephine Bracken, though this is only suggested, never shown). There is the suggestion of incestuous feelings (Kispamata, and in an indirect way Itim where father and son in effect share the same woman); the man is introverted, passive unless pushed too far, and does not like to reveal his motives (Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising, Kisapmata, Itim, Batch '81--heck, make that every de Leon film with maybe the exception of Aliwan Paradise).

And even in other aspects the film is distinctly de Leon--the acting, which is consistently understated (and one of de Leon's--Christopher--finest performances); the cinematography, which is realistic and unshowy, yet intelligently staged and lit; the flashes of brilliance--the crystal swan, Edu Manzano's death scene, so on and so forth.

What's so interesting is that it's still recognizably a komiks story--plenty of confrontations, an intricate plot, a melodramatic music score--but one heightened or enhanced by de Leon's sensibility. No name on the credits? No problem--de Leon's hand can be seen on every frame.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2005 at 02:03 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Nov 30, 2005 at 03:58 PM »
Sa pagkakaalam ko, iisa lang ang official recording ng "Aling
Pag-ibig Pa" (music by Ding Achacoso, lyrics by yours truly, with a
little help from Andres Bonifacio, whose opening and closing lines in
"Pag-ibig sa Tinubuang Lupa" I used as opening and closing lines and
as title in the SISTER STELLA L. theme song).

Iyon ang recording ni Pat Castillo na unang lumabas sa isang LP ng
SISTER STELLA L. soundtrack, at pagkatapos ay nireproduce sa LP na
HANDOG NG PILIPINO SA MUNDO.

Kasama sa 2 records na ito ang isa pang kantang ginawa namin ni Ding
Achacoso para sa pelikula, ang "Sangandaan." Sa SISTER STELLA L.
soundtrack ay may isa pang kantang mistakenly attributed sa akin ang
lyrics, "Manggagawa," na inawit ni Rody Vera. Kung hindi ako
nagkakamali, ang lyrics nitong huli ay sinulat ni Peping Almojuela
(co-writer ng SISTER STELLA L. script) at maaaring may input din si
Rody Vera. (Tama ba, Rody?)

Ang kinanta ng Inang Laya ay ang mismong tula ni Andres Bonifacio na
"Pag-ibig sa Tinubuang Lupa." Ewan ko lang kung ang "Aling Pag-ibig
Pa" ay kasama sa repertoire nila.

Ang kantang "Aling Pag-ibig Pa" ay nirecord din ng choral group na
Kasarinlan (conducted by Felipe Padilla de Leon) sa cassette na may
pamagat ding ALING PAG-IBIG PA... May isang Amerikanang hindi ko
matandaan ang pangalan, dating kasal sa isang kakilala kong Pilipino,
na nag-cassette-recording din ng "Sangandaan." Nawawala ang kopya ko
ng cassette na iyon, at hindi ko matandaan kung kasama doon ang
"Aling Pag-ibig Pa."

Ang "Aling Pag-ibig Pa" at/o "Sangandaan" ay kabilang sa repertoire
nina Susan Fernandez, Cooky Chua, at Coritha, pero sa pagkakaalam ko
ay hindi pa nila nairerekord ang mga ito.

--Pete Lacaba

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 08:30 AM »
For almost ten years I've been looking for the cd of HANDOG NG PILIPINO SA MUNDO, but no luck. After the 1986 Edsa Revolution, many stocks are available on record bars, but I just ignore it.

In my book, SISTER STELLA L remains one of the best political themed movies along with Brocka's KAPIT SA PATALIM: BAYAN KO.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 08:36 AM »
They were gutsy attempts because they were made under the Marcos regime, when even a whisper of protest was loud. But in terms of filmmaking, my favorite is Brocka's Orapronobis.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 08:43 AM »
I forgot ORAPRONOBIS. The ending is unforgettable and up to now it remains to be seen on the theatres.

If Brocka is still alive now, he will make another political themed film on the present administration.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2005 at 08:44 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 08:55 AM »
If Brocka is still alive now, he will make another political themed film on the present administration.

Nuno sa Palasyong Punso[/i].

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 12:42 PM »
For almost ten years I've been looking for the cd of HANDOG NG PILIPINO SA MUNDO, but no luck. After the 1986 Edsa Revolution, many stocks are available on record bars, but I just ignore it.

In my book, SISTER STELLA L remains one of the best political themed movies along with Brocka's KAPIT SA PATALIM: BAYAN KO.

I spied a CD copy in one of the record bars in Mega.

Ah, but I was told the original version of Sister Stella L., with it's very powerful ending, is something else. Too bad it was never shown here.