Author Topic: Mike de Leon  (Read 65848 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mike de Leon
« Reply #180 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 06:33 PM »
I spied a CD copy in one of the record bars in Mega.

Ah, but I was told the original version of Sister Stella L., with it's very powerful ending, is something else. Too bad it was never shown here.

Dude is the cd still available? Buy me one, I'll get it in your office. I would like to see also Mike de Leon's original version for the film ending of SISTER STELLA L.

I bet the theatrical ending was Mother Lily's version.

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #181 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 07:16 PM »
I'll try to look for a copy of the said CD. Yeah, Mother Lily, with Mike's consent of course, had the ending taken out. Got scared I guess.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 07:19 PM »
Mike was scared of Mother? How come? I thought from the very start he had the final cut on all of his films. He doesn't compromise right and doesn't need to sell his soul just to have a project.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 07:44 PM »
Mike was scared of Mother? How come? I thought from the very start he had the final cut on all of his films. He doesn't compromise right and doesn't need to sell his soul just to have a project.

No, no. Mother Lily got scared of the Marcos regime. And I don't think she actually supported the film by way of marketing and promotions. And her hubby, the story goes, even wrote Mike a letter.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 07:51 PM »
I almost forgot that was a very rocky and political year, RMN. SISTER STELLA L was shown after the assasination of Ninoy right? Thanks for the info.

And maybe the cold treatment of Mother regarding the promo was one of the reasons why it flopped at the tills. But, never mind, they come up with a film that stood the test and wear of time.

Was there an order before that when you watch the film, you'll be prison? It puzzles me why it flopped at the tills.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2005 at 07:57 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 12:06 PM »
I almost forgot that was a very rocky and political year, RMN. SISTER STELLA L was shown after the assasination of Ninoy right? Thanks for the info.

And maybe the cold treatment of Mother regarding the promo was one of the reasons why it flopped at the tills. But, never mind, they come up with a film that stood the test and wear of time.

Was there an order before that when you watch the film, you'll be prison? It puzzles me why it flopped at the tills.

A backgrounder on Sister Stella L. :

Right around that time, Mike de Leon was trying to apply for a loan from the ECP Film Fund, which was then under the adminstration of Marichu VP Maceda. Manay Ichu, as she is fondly called, suggested to Mike that he do a movie with Vilma Santos. (If you recall she was the producer of Batch '81) So Mike then searched around for a possible material for a Vilma Santos starrer when heard that Pete Lacaba had a script about nuns being involved in agrarian reform issues. However, Manay Ichu told Mike that hindi bagay si Vilma sa probinsya and to make the film more commercialy viable, why won't he make the setting urban? So the script was reworked and from agararian reforms issues, it was changed to nuns invloving themselves in labor unrest. Also, revisions with the title (from Sangangdaan to Sister Stella L.) and the name of Vilma's character (from Sister Cora to Sister Stella) was made upon Manay Ichu's instigation.

Eventually, the loan was approved and Mike promptly gave Vilma a downpayment. But then, just when they were about to start filming, some emissary from the gov't ordered the stoppage of the shoot and the movie was shelved. Since Mike had to repay his loan to the ECP, he looked around for producer willing to buy out Vilma's contract. And then Mother Lily came into the picture. And the rest, as they say, is film history.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2005 at 12:12 PM by RMN »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 02:41 PM »
I know also that Remy Monteverde, Mother's hubby would send notes to Mike saying that they were businessmen, not propagandists to avoid the wrath of the Marcos Regime during that time.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 12:55 PM »
KUNG MANGARAP KA'T MAGISING (Mike de Leon)

Love is the greatest adventure of all time. The second film of Mike de Leon after the gothic horror ITIM showed his renowned technical skills and masterful storytelling in this light romantic drama. With such a wonderful location, Baguio City & Sagada, he captured perfectly the romantic cliches of the two leads (Christopher de Leon & Hilda Koronel). Add some nice supporting cast especially Bibeth Orteza who filled the gaps of the movie before conflict arises, the late Moody Diaz, a veteran of de Leon films, Laurice Guillen, Danny Javier & Buboy Garrovillo of Apo Hiking Society, this teen-angst movie is worth your time.  Most noteworthy are the humming tunes by Jun Latonio. Even in romantic films like this , the ending is bittersweet. I wonder if Mike de Leon is always cynical about LIFE.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2006 at 01:01 PM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 02:52 PM »
KUNG MANGARAP KA'T MAGISING (Mike de Leon)

Saw this a few years back at NCCA during their post-Valentines film festival. The film is good, untypically Mike de Leon. Before the film was presented, a short talk re: the film's production said that it was de Leon's homage to LVN (or Sampaguita, can't remember).

I don't think the film revolves mostly on teen-angst- - -it is practically more on the growing up pains and the romantic inclinations that come along with it. Somehow, kind of reminded me of Ben Braddock and Mrs. Robinson sans the seduction and all that. The cast was well-chosen, the milieu was appropriate and it could be one perfect valentine's day movie.

Hm....wondering where I could find a copy of this film... (i should've bought a copy when it was being sold sa NCCA nun).

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 03:12 PM »
I love this film (Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising), man. You're right wedge...its more on growing up rather than teen-angst.

Kennon Road in Baguio symbolizes the choices and decisions that we have to take in life.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2006 at 03:28 PM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 03:14 PM »
I take it that you have a copy of this film, bro?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 03:16 PM »
Absolutely and its in widescreen version!  :o :D

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 03:18 PM »
Swerte mo. Hehe. Like I've said I should've bought a copy of it when NCCA was peddling VHS copies nun (right after the presentation).

Are there any video shops that carry 'em?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 03:30 PM »
None so far, wedge. When was the screening at NCCA? I hope Mike de Leon will do the sequel, a sort of. The film is really perfect for Valentines Day despite of the ending.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2006 at 05:07 PM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 03:37 PM »
If I remember correctly, i saw it a few days before the festival officially concluded. Mga early March 2004 ata yun. t'was the last film shown during that particular film fest. the others, i think were early Sampaguita and LVN romance movies. hadn't really put much attention to them at that time. I was more focused on seeing a Mike de Leon film nun eh.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 05:42 PM »
KUNG MANGARAP KA'T MAGISING was shown during the 1977 MMFF. One of the most controversial years in the history of MMFF and the reclusive Mike de Leon was present and staged a walk out during the awards ceremony.
KISAPMATA remains the top favorite among the critics and I have to see it again to conclude that it was his best film.

ITIM remains also one of my favorites and still blew me away until now along with BATCH 81.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2006 at 05:49 PM by keating »

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Feb 18, 2006 at 11:18 AM »
I think KabayanCentral.com is still selling it.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Feb 18, 2006 at 08:52 PM »
Its true that your preference over films change everytime you see it. Saw ITIM for the 3rd time already and I can't get tired of watching it. The visuals are simply breathtaking!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Feb 19, 2006 at 07:19 AM »
Itim is also my most favorite Mike de Leon film... the performances were outstanding. i still consider this to be Charo Santos' best alongside Kontrobersyal & Gumapang Ka Sa Lusak, and who can forget Susan Valdez? she was just simply astonishing.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Feb 19, 2006 at 12:53 PM »
Did they shot the film in Bulacan? Tommy Abuel mentioned San Ildefonso when conversing with Charo Santos in the movie.

In my grandmother's hometown in Bulacan, we also have the traditional pasyon which was repeatedly used also in the movie. The dream sequences of Abuel where the saints started to move were eerie and creepy.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Feb 20, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
The beautiful house used in Bukas, Madilim Bukas, belongs to the de Leon's and is in Bulacan.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Feb 20, 2006 at 06:34 PM »
Was it the same house in ITIM, RMN?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 11:26 AM »
Got some info that HANDOG NG PILIPINO SA MUNDO MTV back in 1986 was made by no less than, Mike de Leon.

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Mar 19, 2006 at 07:15 AM »
This happened a few months ago, but I don't think it's been posted about:

http://www.asianfilmarchive.org/MikedeLeon_Collection.htm

Mike de Leon Collection in Asian Film Archive

The Asian Film Archive is proud to honour the films of critically acclaimed Asian independent filmmaker Mike De Leon by preserving them in its permanent collection. This collection includes film prints and negatives of Mike de Leon, Lino Brocka and Lamberto V. Avellana.

Acknowledged by many critics as the most consistent Filipino filmmaker in terms of cinematic excellence, Mike de Leon's filmography has been considered as a virtual compendium of contemporary classics. De Leon’s critically acclaimed films hold up a mirror to the Filipino psyche, reflecting questions of class belonging, political absurdities, and fragmentation in various forms.

“I’m very grateful to the Asian Film Archive for taking an interest in preserving these films,” said Mike de Leon. The Asian Film Archive preserves film prints, digital masters and related materials in a permanent collection focusing on the acclaimed works of living independent Asian film makers that are not well archived. In the second Reel Emergency Project, the Asian Film Archive is especially looking at films and videos by Southeast Asian filmmakers.

"It is easy to call Mike de Leon one of the greatest Filipino filmmakers who ever lived. He’s done only a handful (nine features and three shorts) but every one displays an amazingly high level of technical proficiency. In terms of sound design, cinematography and editing, his films sound, look and flow better than almost any other Filipino filmmaker, it may be argued that De Leon has never made a bad film - that his battling average runs a near perfect 95 or even 100 per cent."
- Noel Vera, Author of Critic After Dark: A Review of Philippine Cinema (The Thin Line Between Genius and Sanity - Read more at http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/noelmoviereviews/message/320)

This collection includes Kisapmata (Blink of an Eye, 1981), Batch 81 (1982), Sister Stella L (1984), Kakabakaba ka ba? (Will Your Heart Beat Faster?, 1980) and Bayaning Third World (Third World Hero, 1999). Kisapmata and Batch ’81 were shown at the Directors’ Fortnight at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival in 1982 while Sister Stella L. competed at the Venice Film Festival in 1985. It also includes Maynila sa Mga Kuko ng liwanag (Maynila in the Claws of Neon, 1975) directed by Lino Brocka, lensed and executively produced by Mike De Leon. Maynila is also considered by many to be Brocka's best film; and by others to be the finest Filipino film ever made. This is the first film Mike De Leon produced under Cinema Artists Philippines, in 1975 which he set up.

Biography: Miguel Pamintuan de Leon Birthplace: Manila, Philippines Birthdate: May 24, 1947

Filmography:
1. Itim (Rites of May) 1976
2. Kung Mangarap Ka’t Magising 1977
3. Kakabakaba ,Ka Ba? (Will Your Heart Beat Faster?) 1980
4. Kisapmata (Blink of An Eye) (Directors’ Fortnight Cannes 81)
5. Batch ’81 (Directors’ Fortnight Cannes 82)
6. Sister Stella L. 1984 (Venice, Competition 85)
7. Hindi Nahahati ang Langit 1985
8. Bilanggo sa Dilim (video feature) 1987
9. Aliwan Paradise (Southern Winds) Short film, anthology 1993
10. Bayaning 3rd World (Third World Hero) 1999

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #204 on: Mar 19, 2006 at 08:37 AM »
I knew about it, but for some reason didn't post about it. Thanks for doing that.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Mar 19, 2006 at 01:47 PM »
ITIM is currently my fave among his works. Its perfect for any occasion not only this coming Lenten season. Still have to see BILANGGO SA DILIM & ALIWAN PARADISE.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2006 at 02:02 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Mar 20, 2006 at 02:03 PM »
Mike was once asked if he could remake any LVN film, what would it be? He answered--and I'm surprised by this--Biyaya ng Lupa.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #207 on: Mar 20, 2006 at 02:29 PM »
Good luck. Mike can do a lot of things, some better than any filmmaker, but Renoirlike naturalism...good luck.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2006 at 04:22 PM »
Just saw again last night KAKABAKABA KA BA. I want the soundtrack of the movie especially the longer version of BIGYAN MO PO KAMI NG TINAPAY! ;D :D The best comedy film of all-time.

Nanette Inventor, rocks! 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 at 04:24 PM by keating »

Offline eman59

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2006 at 04:50 PM »
The most unforgettable image in Itim for me is the black-and-white freeze frame that becomes the photograph of Susan Valdez.  She smirks, she doesn't want to have her picture taken, it's too hot to stand still for a picture.  When the photograph is seen again after her story is revealed, you realize she smirks because of contempt for the man taking her picture.  I remember watching a "Making of" feature of Itim that shows the care that went into making this movie.  Would make a great supplement to a DVD if one ever comes out.