Author Topic: Stanley Kubrick R3 2007  (Read 8267 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stanley Kubrick R3 2007
« on: Nov 15, 2007 at 02:46 PM »
I'm on the lookout for R3 widescreen versions of Eyes Wide Shut, Full Metal Jacket and The Shining.

I saw a new release of Full Metal Jacket at Astro MOA.  I wanted to ask around first before buying.  Is this the 2007 widescreen with special features?

Not available separately daw ito sa R1. 

R1 thread: http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=68927.0

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2007 at 02:47 PM by barrister »

Offline amethyst_arr

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Stanley Kubrick R3 2007
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 06:37 AM »
i think naka-indicate sa likod na widescreen eto...am also waiting for some reviews for this title.

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 12:18 PM »
I think the new release is the remastered version already...we're lucky that this was made individually available unlike the R1. Am tempted to get this...baka mamaya. ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 01:25 PM »
Thanks sir seph1018. 

I need an anamorphic widescreen version.  Kubrick definitely did not have a 16x9 TV in mind when he requested open matte versions for his later movies.  Price is also very good. 

Am tempted to get this...baka mamaya. ;D

That's great! ... Kuwentuhan mo naman kami pag meron na... ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2007 at 01:27 PM by barrister »

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 01:35 PM »
I did my research on the new kubrick releases in dvdbeaver yesterday. In general, picture quality is marginally better but the main benefit would be the additional features. i'll be getting the new edition of the Shining because it is in anamorphic widescreen. it is also one of my favorite films.

Offline casanegro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "Manos", The Hands of Fate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 05:45 AM »
Buti na lang patay na si Sir Stanley. Otherwise, these 'widescreen' versions of his movies would never have come out.

Be forewarned lang that you would be seeing less of the picture with these new 'widescreen' versions as compared to their original 1.33:1 counterparts.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 03:22 PM »
We can never be sure if Kubrick would not have changed his mind if he were alive. 

Kubrick used to prefer a mono soundtrack to ensure that the audio mix won't be messed up even in poorly-calibrated theaters.  Yet he later agreed to a 5.1 soundtrack for the last Warner video releases prior to his death. 

The U.S. theatrical aspect ratio of Full Metal Jacket was 1.85:1.  Kubrick insisted that the film be released on video in open-matte full frame to ensure that a widescreen print will not be shown on broadcast/cable TV or home video in a cropped pan-and-scan frame.

But times have changed.  These days, only chumps prefer pan-and-scan video.  Many people now have widescreen TVs, and most people with 4x3 TVs are just fine with letterboxed images.

It's possible that Kubrick would have agreed to a widescreen home video of Full Metal Jacket in 2007.  After all, that was how the film was shown in U.S. theaters.

==========================================================

As regards open-matte vs. widescreen in Kubrick's films, the helicopter shadow in The Shining is the most often discussed:

http://www.theworld.com/~trystero/shining.html

Some say it's a blooper primarily because the footage was shot by Greg McGillivray, not Kubrick himself.

Some say it was intentional because Kubrick was a control-freak perfectionist.  He surely would have noticed it and reshot/edited the scene if it were not intentional.

Mark Steensland says:

The first of these is the helicopter shadow visible in the lower right corner of the film's fourth shot occurring exactly one minute and nine seconds in and disappearing just before the appearance of the first title – 'A Stanley Kubrick Film.' Basic film-making logic says that Kubrick's inclusion of this shadow is intentional. After all, judicious editing of only two seconds (the length of time the shadow is visible) would have removed this seeming flaw. That it occurs exactly in position before a title announces that this is a 'Stanley Kubrick Film' only underscores its obvious importance. This shadow is Kubrick's version of a memento mori. As the appearance of a hidden figure of Death in the paintings of the Middle Ages served as a reminder that death was omnipresent, so this shadow serves as a reminder that what we are about to see is unreal, fake, staged. Kubrick knows that his audience is ready to suspend their disbelief -- that is, to accept what they are about to see as a certain kind of reality -- and he undercuts this by graphically calling attention to the mechanics of film-making. Thus this shadow says that photographic images (in general) and this film (in particular) are not real, at least not in the way we might expect them to be, or want them to be. In the case of The Shining, this means we shouldn't expect a horror story, per se (or even a very realistic film, exactly), but we should look for something else, for a meaning behind what is presented literally – for the shadow on the ground, so to speak.

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2007 at 09:14 PM by barrister »

Offline casanegro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "Manos", The Hands of Fate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 07:13 PM »
I took screenshots of this new Deluxe Widescreen Edition and the older Fullscreen Edition included in the Stanley Kubrick Collection:

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 09:07 PM »
Thanks for the screenshots, sir casanegro.  It's the first time I've seen those scenes on a widescreen frame.

The widescreen version seems to have slightly higher contrast and color saturation.

As regards framing, the 1st and 2nd pairs of shots both look good on either widescreen or open-matte.   

But for the 3rd pair of shots, the widescreen framing looks much better.  If you're familiar with the "rule of thirds" in photography, the helicopter is too low and the soldiers in the foreground are too high on the open-matte frame.  But on the widescreen frame, the helicopter and the foreground soldiers are located on the first and second horizontal grids for a tighter shot that eliminates "empty spaces". 

As I see it, the shots appear to have been originally composed for a widescreen frame.  Notice that even in the 1st and 2nd open-matte frames, there seems to be a little too much room above the heads of the actors.

« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2007 at 02:20 AM by barrister »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 09:25 AM »
I'm wondering why the R3s aren't uniformly priced. Full Metal Jacket was released for 499, while Eyes Wide Shut/2001: A Space Odysssey are both at 599.

It seems a bit odd.  ???
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 10:10 AM »
Warner probably think a classic (2001) and one with star recognition (Eyes Wide Shut) are more desirable to most buyers and could command higher prices - and they are probably right. 

I, for one, am getting 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut, out of the gate, and had passed upon Full Metal Jacket initially but would probably get it now after reading the reviews...

But it does seems like for new releases, Warner seems to be  reversing it's trend of being the leader when it comes to pricing, and trying to nudge upwards the prices of it's desirable first releases...  Ooops, off topic.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 10:32 AM »
I'm wondering why the R3s aren't uniformly priced. Full Metal Jacket was released for 499, while Eyes Wide Shut/2001: A Space Odysssey are both at 599.

It seems a bit odd.  ???

That's because 2001: A Space Odyssey and Eyes Wide Shut are both two-disc releases.  ;)

Offline dragonrower

• Collector
  • www.pc-experts.org
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 07:57 AM »
i dont care if they cropped it on widescreen, as long as the picture is better, thanks to the screenshots, the new release is damn cheap! im gonna get one now! thanks for the screenshots again

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 04:23 PM »
I just got Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and 2001; wasn't able to get The Shining, wala pa daw sa Astro.   

From DVDBeaver (a screencap comparison site):

Eyes Wide Shut - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare8/eyes-wide-shut.htm
2001: A Space Odyssey - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare6/2001.htm
The Shining - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/shining.htm

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2007 at 03:24 PM »

According to pinoydvd.biz, December 7, 2007 pa ang The Shining, moved from the previously announced  November 29, 2007 street date.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2007 at 03:28 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2007 at 03:34 PM »

I just saw sir diagoro's post on the Nov. 2007 R3 releases thread, meron na daw The Shining sa Astro.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 10:51 AM »
I got 2001: A Space Odyssey, Eyes Wide Shut, Full Metal Jacket and The Shining.

All of them are good and highly recommended.

Offline jackdejesus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 05:41 PM »
Is it true that The Shining R3 is much shorter than the R1 release?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 05:49 PM »
Is it true that The Shining R3 is much shorter than the R1 release?

Yes, it is.

From IMDb:

The full-length version runs approx. 145 minutes and is the U.S. theatrical version, available in the USA on VHS, DVD and laserdisc. All the other versions, however, run just under two hours (115), omitting about half an hour of footage. This is because Kubrick cut some scenes from his film, which he thought were unnecessary. British television network ITV screened the full US version of The Shining during the late eighties. The following is a list of all the scenes or parts of scenes not present in the other versions of The Shining.

* The last line of dialogue (spoken by Wendy) in the kitchen scene, the subsequent dissolve, Bill Watson's arrival to the interview (and all his dialogue), Jack recounting his previous jobs and the reason for shutting the Overlook in winter.
    * After Danny's vision in the bathroom, the entire Doctor scene is removed (making Anne Jackson's name in the opening credits a mystery), where Danny discusses "Tony" and we discover Jack dislocated Danny's shoulder in a moment of drunken rage, and joined the wagon afterwards.
    * The scenes where Mr. Ullman shows Jack and Wendy around the Colorado Lounge, when they walk outside the maze and when Dick Halloran shows Wendy and Danny round the kitchens have been shortened, but not removed completely.
    * The scene where Jack, Wendy and the hotel managers first enter the Gold Room and are introduced to Dick Halloran, the subsequent dissolve, a line of dialogue between Halloran and Wendy about the woman's name.
    * The first shot of Wendy wheeling the breakfast trolley.
    * The second half of Wendy and Jack's breakfast conversation where Jack says how he feels he's been to the Overlook before.
    * A shot from behind of Jack throwing the ball against the wall, the subsequent dissolve and the line "Loser has to keep America clean, how's that?" (8 seconds in all!)
    * Wendy seeing the news and weather report on television in the kitchen while preparing food.
    * The title card "Thursday" and part of Wendy and Danny's snowfight.
    * Wendy and Danny watching television in the Colorado Lounge.
    * Some lines of dialogue between Jack and Lloyd during their first encounter.
    * A line of dialogue spoken by Jack after the encounter with the old woman, referring to Danny's vision of the blood.
    * The scene where Wendy goes over her plan to leave the Overlook verbally in their room and Danny gets possessed (?) by "Tony", sitting bolt upright in bed.
    * Halloran's third attempt at trying to contact them via the telephone and County Office.
    * The 8am title card.
    * Halloran's question to the stewardess on the plane.
    * A long shot from behind of Jack at the typewriter.
    * Halloran's plane touching down and phoning his friend Larry to arrange the rental of a Sno-cat.
    * The scene where Danny watches Roadrunner (not actually on screen) and Wendy goes to find Jack, taking a baseball bat, just before she goes to find his manuscript.
    * Wendy seeing skeletons in the hotel lobby.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007 at 05:50 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline jackdejesus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 06:05 PM »
Oh, i see. Will be getting the R1 then. Thanks for the enlightenment Mr. Hankey. ;)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 06:47 PM »

Thanks for the clarification, Mr. Hankey. 

Hindi ko na irerekomenda ang The Shining, mas maganda nga ang R1 version  >:(.  But the other titles are good. 

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 09:23 PM »
I think the two different versions of the Shining work on their own. For a more supernatural experience, watch the international version. For a more psychological experience, watch the US version. They really should have released a dvd with the two different versions available as options.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 10:18 PM »
Well, you have a point. 

Akala ko marami na akong alam sa Stanley Kubrick trivia, pero ngayon ko lang nalaman na 2 versions pala sa video ang The Shining.   :P

Stanley Kubrick releases are always controversial.  Warner may be doing it intentionally, in keeping with tradition. 

Yes, it would have been better if they released both versions in one disc, but that would have been the non-controversial option.  ;)

I researched the net after reading Mr. Hankey's clarification, and here's what I found:

There are at least 3 versions: 

1.  146-min. original theatrical version;
2.  144-min. U.S. theatrical version; and
3.  119-min. international version.

The original cut, rumored to have been destroyed by Kubrick, no longer exists.

On video, the two cuts are the U.S. version and the international version.  Both versions were cut by Kubrick himself, so both can be called director's cuts since both had the director's own intent.

After playing to "generally bad reviews and erratic box-office in America," The Shining was preview-tested before its opening in London and a further 25 mins. were cut.  Thus, we now have 2 versions, one from the U.S. release, and the shorter version for all releases outside the U.S.

After the commercial disaster of Barry Lyndon, Kubrick wanted a more box-office friendly movie for his next project, The Shining.  That's why he was willing to cut scenes in response to criticism, as long as he himself would be doing the cutting.   

Which is the definitive version?

You might say that it's the longer one because that was his original artistic vision before he responded to criticism.

Or you might say that it's the shorter one because that was his final editing decison for this film.  Besides, he lived in England, and before his death, he approved the R2 DVD (short international version) for the U.K.

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2007 at 11:17 AM by barrister »

Offline dalubhasa1980

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 07:10 AM »
Mga Sir at mga Ma'am,

Happy New Year !!!

Kasama po bang ire-release ang R3 version ng A Clockwork Orange 2-disc edition?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 10:45 AM »
I've asked a Warner rep from Astro SM Makati about this about a month ago and she said they're still waiting for this. But she said it will be released.

Offline gabrielmyers

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Apprentice
  • as a matter of fact it was a boogeyman
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM »
I'm a film geek here and Stanley Kubrick's Collection DVDs like "The Shining" is hard to find now! They didn't publish it anymore due to sales. Maybe you can get a copy from "SM MAKATI" you can find rare movies there like Alien (1979) Directors Cut. HAPPY HUNTING!  ;)