Author Topic: ALIAS on ABS-CBN...  (Read 13129 times)

Offline Homer Jay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • D'OH!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ALIAS on ABS-CBN...
« on: Oct 24, 2002 at 09:12 AM »
Caught a glimpse of the Alias commercial on ABS-CBN... haven't seen an episode yet but I heard people say that it's a good series so I was thrilled about the prospect of having to look forward to an ABS-CBN show every week (last time I did follow a show on ABS was when they were still showing BAYWATCH...  ;D ;D ;D)... but then my friend said she saw a commercial of it that was dubbed in Filipino?!? Is that true? Is the whole series being dubbed in Filipino???  ??? :o >:(

How sad... wish they'd also show the English version in Studio 23...
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2002 at 09:13 AM by Homer Jay »

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re:ALIAS on ABS-CBN...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 09:16 AM »
Yup..dubbed in filipino..sighhhhhh..ganda pa naman nya
Walang Setup

Offline Bacon

• Collector
  • Wassup! Wassup!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 09:21 AM »
Yup, dubbed in Filipino ???, but the dubbing is good.  The dubbing has a higher quality compared sa mga Spanish telenovela.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 09:39 AM »
Pero mas maganda pa rin kung yung Orig language...sayang..i hope ipalabas sa star world
Walang Setup

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 10:13 AM »
Yup..dubbed in filipino..sighhhhhh..ganda pa naman nya

Basta boses ni Sakura ang gagamitin, ok lang  ;D ;D ;D

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 10:45 AM »
Hehehe... nice to have the orig English on VCD. :)

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 03:56 PM »
You COULD start a campaign. A largeish number of Pinoyslayers are thinking of starting a letter-writing camapign or petition for 23 to air the original series' reruns on 23, a la Samurai X. We're just looking for someone to coordinate and write a letter. (Because I can't. Hi, Bacon!)

Leave a message on Tabula Rasa or the Buffy thread if you're interested in joining.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 04:08 PM »
There could also be a separate approach, but it won't work well if you intend to videotape the series and want it in English.

Back in the 1970s, RPN 9 experimented and dubbed the Telly Savalas Kojak series for a while. The show aired on TV in Tagalog, while you had the option of listening to the original English language track on RADIO.

A better option would be SAP - can we do that locally? Just be sure Marcel doesn't get a hold of the remote...   ::)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 04:22 PM »
There is an on-line petition going on.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 04:31 PM »
Eh, wrong petition, and it IS airing in October (the 28th). What you guys want is the original series aired in English, yes?

Offline Homer Jay

• Collector
  • D'OH!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 04:34 PM »
There is an on-line petition going on.

Wasn't able to see the said commercial, but does that mean that Studio 23 will also be showing Alias? or was it just included in their "emmy nominations" commercial because they had planned to show the Tagalog version on ABS-CBN?

I just hope it's the former...  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Bacon

• Collector
  • Wassup! Wassup!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 04:44 PM »

A petition might work, ABS might give in........but........

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2002 at 05:33 PM by Bacon »

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 04:46 PM »
Eh, wrong petition, and it IS airing in October (the 28th). What you guys want is the original series aired in English, yes?

oops sorry my bad and yes.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 05:15 PM »
Wasn't able to see the said commercial, but does that mean that Studio 23 will also be showing Alias? or was it just included in their "emmy nominations" commercial because they had planned to show the Tagalog version on ABS-CBN?

They planned to show it on 23. The PTB had a brainfart. The Monday night time slot is no coincidence.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2002 at 05:16 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 10:41 PM »
You gotta see this series .. especially the first season when things are not as complicated yet ...  first three-four episodes rocks !

In one of the episodes, Jennifer Garner reminded me of the German actress in Run Lola Run. I do enjoy all the wigs and costumes ... very campy and cool.

But more than that, I liked this series because of the wonderful Victor Garber and the handsome/cool Michael Vartan.

In one interview, she joked she got this part when the producers saw her acting ability in Dude Where's My Car ? .

Little trivia : He is married to Scott Foley .. Noel in Felicity.

I gave up on this series though. The plots getting deeper .. more twists than a daytime soap opera ...  with lots of action. It is a good series, except I can only watch one secret agent in one season. Jack Bauer is more than enough for me.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 11:56 PM »
Dapat letter writing campaign. :) Send em bulk mail! That'll make em realize ppl want it in English!

Heck, if you know ppl in newspapers you could suggest the campaign as an article. :)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 06:12 AM »
Dapat letter writing campaign. :) Send em bulk mail! That'll make em realize ppl want it in English!

Heck, if you know ppl in newspapers you could suggest the campaign as an article. :)

This is one of the terrible effects of those Spanish soap operas dubbed in Tagalog. They probably thought doing it this way will make this series more popular to the masses. Never mind if they alienate the ABC crowd. They don't watch TV as religiously as those masses. Do you actually think ABC crowd watch Bituin or any other series or musicals before? They are usually out all weeknights hanging out in  bars ... restaurants .. anywhere else but home.. socializing. Or shopping.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 10:00 AM »

Hence the need for a person <not me, for obvious reasons if you know me> to coordinate. Gusto mo ikaw na lang?

Actually if the ratings tank, they might make the decision to pull it on their own.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 10:13 AM »

I think you mean "She is married ..." I was thinking "Gassy Noel's gay?" for a while there. Can't be too careless with Holly and Pagan and the rest of the Fag Hag Faction around. <weg>

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 10:27 AM »

I think you mean "She is married ..." I was thinking "Gassy Noel's gay?" for a while there. Can't be too careless with Holly and Pagan and the rest of the Fag Hag Faction around. <weg>

See, and I was entertaining fantasies of Foley and The Vartan frolicking in a stream with flowers. Killjoy.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 12:47 PM »

Don't need to. Watched em all already. :)

Hence the need for a person <not me, for obvious reasons if you know me> to coordinate. Gusto mo ikaw na lang?

Actually if the ratings tank, they might make the decision to pull it on their own.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 12:58 PM »
So have I. So gusto mo lang magyabang?
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2002 at 01:04 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 01:50 PM »

They don't watch TV as religiously as those masses. Do you actually think ABC crowd watch Bituin or any other series or musicals before?

You'd be surprised.

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 02:43 PM »
They don't watch TV as religiously as those masses. Do you actually think ABC crowd watch Bituin or any other series or musicals before? They are usually out all weeknights hanging out in  bars ... restaurants .. anywhere else but home.. socializing. Or shopping.

Hey k,

Been away from PI too long? Nowadays, If you do not know Amor Powers or Claudia, di ka in. And that holds true even to the AB class!

:D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 06:42 PM »

Ooops, my bad !

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 06:44 PM »

See, and I was entertaining fantasies of Foley and The Vartan frolicking in a stream with flowers. Killjoy.

Very nice . I've done that before though .. and  mine was set in a beach ala From Here To Eternity.

;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 06:46 PM »
They don't watch TV as religiously as those masses. Do you actually think ABC crowd watch Bituin or any other series or musicals before? They are usually out all weeknights hanging out in  bars ... restaurants .. anywhere else but home.. socializing. Or shopping.

Hey k,

Been away from PI too long? Nowadays, If you do not know Amor Powers or Claudia, di ka in. And that holds true even to the AB class!

:D

Really ? Yikes ! I must be living in an alternate universe.

A lot has changed in two years I guess. I am planning to go home May 2003 though so I'd be able to catch up then.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 07:16 PM »
Di sa pagyayabang but why should I care? I've watched em all already. I can watch it whenever I want.

The ABS-CBN execs would respond to a tangible outcry from the fans. Online petition's just solidify their belief that only a small minorty would be affected with the change. There goal after all is to appeal the 80% of people living in the Philippines.

Offline Homer Jay

• Collector
  • D'OH!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2002 at 11:41 PM »
eeehhhh... dehins na lang mga pre. Narinig ko lang kasi sa ilang reviews na okay yung series kaya nalungkot lang ako nung malaman ko na ida-dub nila yung Alias. Mas ok pa nga yun e, pakiramdam ko kasing nasosobrahan na ako kakanood ng TV at DVDs kaya hindi ko na lang aabangan yang Alias na yan... susulyap na lang ako ng paunti-unti para makita si Miss Garner.  ;D

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #29 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 10:18 PM »
am watching it right now.  Feels weird, being tagalized and all, especially as I've never watched a lot of the dubbed telenovelas before or dubbed movies, except maybe Crouching Tiger?  

what in the world were the ABS execs thinking, putting this show on Dos rather than S23?  the cool gadgets, the action sequences, the premise, the target audience, just the wrong show on the wrong channel. darn.