Author Topic: ALIAS on ABS-CBN...  (Read 13136 times)

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re:ALIAS on ABS-CBN...
« Reply #30 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 10:33 AM »
I just hate dubbed tv shows >:(
Walang Setup

Offline kakabanas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 09:41 PM »
I don't get it. Philippines is one of those countries that take pride in its English speaking/understanding citizens ... even if they don't use it everyday ... and even if some didn't even go to high school.  This is supposed to be one advantage we have over our Southeast Asian neighbors. I do understand why  telenovelas in Spanish .. or even Japanese animations need to be dubbed in Tagalog. But what could possibly possess these people to dub English TV shows into Tagalog ?
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2002 at 09:41 PM by kakabanas »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #32 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 10:13 PM »
Kakabanas,

I agree with you.

It seems that we Filipinos have a screwed up sense of priorities.

You have a government and a president claiming that we are the 3rd largest English speaking country as come-on to investors and yet, our education policy to put school children to study subjects in Filipino (moving away from English as a medium instruction).

I'd just wished there is an awareness and realization in government, society and even the private (yup, that includes the likes of ABS-CBN) to re-emphasize English in shows that originally are in that language.

Well, either that or we forget about remaining competitive in this region. Darn, the Singaporeans speak fluent English nowadays and soon I think can get rid of their "lah's"   :-\

The Chinese and Indians are getting to realize that English is a must so that investors would come-in.  :'(

Mark my word, as quality of English speaking graduates degrade further, the more of the investments in IT would go away.  :-[

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2002 at 12:39 AM »
Most Filipinos (all 80 million of us) only have a rudementary knowledge of English. Alias is sufficiently complex enough to warrant a "simplification" for average Pedro, Jose or Prokopyo.

Another point is that it is ABS-CBN. The channel that's targetted to the non-A/B crowd. They're just reacting to what their market demands. That's the nature of business, which is meeting the demands of the consumer. It makes no business sense to alienate the bulk of their audience.

Personally I do not like the Filipino language cause of its Tagalog roots. It discriminates against the other dialects of the country like Ilonggo, Waray, Cebuano, etc. Comin from a f*cked up goverment like ours I'm not too surprised it was implemented.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2002 at 12:42 AM by DViant »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #34 on: Oct 31, 2002 at 06:57 AM »
DViant,

That's the whole point, companies like ABS-CBN focused on the short-term gains (ie. market share/lead) vs. long term consequence/benefit (if any).

I would rather want to see them retain the English "vocals" and put Filipino sub-titles. That way, they target all markets. In the end, it also becomes a good way for children to associate English words with equivalent Filipino words.

Well, if FPJ wins very soon, I am out of here. By then we get to see Panday in Tagalog all over the place and re-run on noontime slots ;-) will dvd copies be far behind???

We have a lot of educated folks and yet, in the end lower strata of society dictates everything and hence, we see squatters making demands as if government owes them a lot... we pay the taxes and yet we get less and less benefits of those taxes... it goes to fixing the garbage thrown all over the place by these squatters, now we get to see shows just going down to that level...this explains the lack of quality for noontime shows, now the dubbing of certain series to Filipino even animation series are in Filipino.... during my generation Voltes V was in English so I am sure even those who did not reach school knows that "bolt-in" (or was that "volt-in" ?) meants something.... hehehe

enough of this... this is my take of things and sadly, i am now part of the minority in this country... time to re-plan and pack up soon.

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 31, 2002 at 02:35 PM »
it's the dumbing-down of the filipino audience. :-[

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 31, 2002 at 09:27 PM »
Most Filipinos (all 80 million of us) only have a rudementary knowledge of English. Alias is sufficiently complex enough to warrant a "simplification" for average Pedro, Jose or Prokopyo.

Isn't that underestimating the intelligence of the Filipino people ?  They do watch movies with complex themes and twisted plots in theaters in one seating ... why would Alias be different, when complications show up in small doses ?
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2002 at 09:30 PM by kakabanas »

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 02, 2002 at 01:39 PM »
Isn't that underestimating the intelligence of the Filipino people ?  They do watch movies with complex themes and twisted plots in theaters in one seating ... why would Alias be different, when complications show up in small doses ?
No offense but these are the same people who placed ERAP into power. How smart is that? >:(

Haven't you noticed that there are fewer people goin to the movies these days? Either the movie is too complex or they're stayin home watchin there pirated VCDs. Only those who appreciate the nuances of the theater and who can afford it watch in a moviehouse these days.

At another angle it isn't a matter of intelligence but exposure. Do you think they'd stick around a TV show with so much complex English and technobabble/technotalk? Most likely they'd switch to GMA or turn off the set.

As always no offense is met but ABS-CBN's targetted at the non A-B crowd. So why expect em to cater to us. We have S23 to show us what we want.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 03, 2002 at 12:46 PM »
No offense but these are the same people who placed ERAP into power. How smart is that? >:(

Haven't you noticed that there are fewer people goin to the movies these days? Either the movie is too complex or they're stayin home watchin there pirated VCDs. Only those who appreciate the nuances of the theater and who can afford it watch in a moviehouse these days.

At another angle it isn't a matter of intelligence but exposure. Do you think they'd stick around a TV show with so much complex English and technobabble/technotalk? Most likely they'd switch to GMA or turn off the set.

As always no offense is met but ABS-CBN's targetted at the non A-B crowd. So why expect em to cater to us. We have S23 to show us what we want.

Again, isn't that underestimating the intelligence of the Filipino people ? Erap became a President not because they are not smart. It is simply because they lack the decency to put the right people in position and not sell their votes. And in our country's political arena, is there really a qualified candidate?

Of course it is a matter of exposure. It is because the lack of it that people think they will not watch it if presented in English. You guys watch Friends, the X-Files, E.R., Buffy, etc. Sure they have simple plots... but you guys were able to follow. Alias is not that complex. And its complexity comes over time.  Give them a little credit man.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Nov 03, 2002 at 02:04 PM »
Again, isn't that underestimating the intelligence of the Filipino people ? Erap became a President not because they are not smart. It is simply because they lack the decency to put the right people in position and not sell their votes. And in our country's political arena, is there really a qualified candidate?

Of course it is a matter of exposure. It is because the lack of it that people think they will not watch it if presented in English. You guys watch Friends, the X-Files, E.R., Buffy, etc. Sure they have simple plots... but you guys were able to follow. Alias is not that complex. And its complexity comes over time.  Give them a little credit man.
Knowing English doesn't equate to being intelligent. ABS-CBN or any station for that matter is just responding to what their general audience want. The language the general audience of ABS-CBN understand and respond better to is Filipino/Tagalog. You're making our language out as the fool's tongue.

You may not like it and I may not like it but that's the fact of life. You can comment all you want but this doesn't change anything. People can setup an online petition and email it to ABS-CBN and I doubt they'll change their policy towards the show. Mentally unbalanced people could write flame email to ABS-CBN and they'd just delete it.

How can I not underestimate the Filipino intellect when Erap got the most votes of any single Presidential candidate in any election in Filipino history? In the assumption that all of those who voted soldout then how can you not say they're not mentally deficient? I think you're overestimating them.

Who is to say who is a "decent" and "right" candidate? People who get elected to posts only reflect the people who elected them into power. If the set of public servants are just a bunch of hoodlums and scoundrel then those who placed them there share similar traits.

This is reality in the Philippines that's why a third of the population opt to leave/abandon the country and go abroad. They'd rather not have to face the B$ on a daily basis.

As for choice of TV shows I seriously doubt the Masa would watch Friends, the X-Files, E.R., Buffy. On the contrary I think they'd gravitate to locally made or translated soaps and noon time TV shows like Eat Bulaga because it is more relevant to them. They can comprehend easily and that's what entertainment is supposed to be. Ever wondered why Mari Mar was so popular?

As for subtitles... People have a TV to watch a story unfold. If they wanted to read they'd buy a comicbook. The conventional Standard Definition TV was never designed to display text either. That's why you can't use it as a display for a computer.

Offline Homer Jay

• Collector
  • D'OH!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 03, 2002 at 03:10 PM »

How can I not underestimate the Filipino intellect when Erap got the most votes of any single Presidential candidate in any election in Filipino history? In the assumption that all of those who voted soldout then how can you not say they're not mentally deficient? I think you're overestimating them.

Who is to say who is a "decent" and "right" candidate? People who get elected to posts only reflect the people who elected them into power. If the set of public servants are just a bunch of hoodlums and scoundrel then those who placed them there share similar traits.

This is reality in the Philippines that's why a third of the population opt to leave/abandon the country and go abroad. They'd rather not have to face the B$ on a daily basis.

ehh... mods? can'y we just move this thread to BIG TALK???  ;D ;D ;D

Anyway... cool your jets, guys. What I foresee is the show will eventually tank in the ratings (and endorsement), ABS will realize that people are not buying this "new" concept they're trying to introduce, and eventually, they will ship it to Studio 23, where it was originally intended to be shown. Let's just wait and it will eventually happen...  ;D

Offline dondon

• Collector
  • What i can't find has not been recorded.
  • Liked:
Regarding Channel 2's "ALIAS"
« Reply #41 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 08:48 AM »
To the Programming Dept. of ABS-CBN,

My friends & I would like to ask ABS-CBN to reconsider its decision to show Alias
in Tagalog. Please broadcast the show as it should be ... in English. The potential viewers of this show
are educated and understand English.

We hope you consider our suggestion. Another option is to  move Alias to Studio 23 where I believe, the show will be a hit especially when shown with Smallville, Buffy, Dark Angel, X Files. Alias clearly belongs in Studio 23!

Truthfully, a lot of us tried to watch the show in Tagalog but the dubbing really turns us off. So we just transfer to another show or retire for the night altogether.

We hope our request merits a favorable response.  Thank you.

Vance Maturana
Makati City

If you don't like ALIAS dubbed in Filipino:

pls send email to [email protected] and ask your friends to email ABS to stop dubbing the tv show ALIAS in Tagalog.  

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2002 at 08:54 AM by dondon »

Offline Turntableman

• Apprentice
  • When it goes around, it comes around
  • Liked:
Re:Regarding Channel 2's "ALIAS"
« Reply #42 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 09:33 AM »
its a nice series, sayang.

di ba lawrence lee? the guy on the powerbooks ad is from ABS-CBN? can't he do something about  this stupidity?

i've seen a couple of episodes,  the filipino version, is not faithful to the original, it sucks.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 10:37 AM »
That's Lawrence TAN, and there's an Alias thread already, dondon

Offline dondon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 11:49 AM »
To the Programming Dept. of ABS-CBN,

My friends & I would like to ask ABS-CBN to reconsider its decision to show Alias
in Tagalog. Please broadcast the show as it should be ... in English. The potential viewers of this show
are educated and understand English.

We hope you consider our suggestion. Another option is to  move Alias to Studio 23 where I believe, the show will be a hit especially when shown with Smallville, Buffy, Dark Angel, X Files. Alias clearly belongs in Studio 23!

Truthfully, a lot of us tried to watch the show in Tagalog but the dubbing really turns us off. So we just transfer to another show or retire for the night altogether.

We hope our request merits a favorable response.  Thank you.

Vance Maturana
Makati City

If you don't like ALIAS dubbed in Filipino:

pls send email to [email protected] and ask your friends to email ABS to stop dubbing the tv show ALIAS in Tagalog.

Offline dondon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 11:55 AM »
That's Lawrence TAN, and there's an Alias thread already, dondon

thank you.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 12:12 PM »

ehh... mods? can'y we just move this thread to BIG TALK???  ;D ;D ;D

Anyway... cool your jets, guys. What I foresee is the show will eventually tank in the ratings (and endorsement), ABS will realize that people are not buying this "new" concept they're trying to introduce, and eventually, they will ship it to Studio 23, where it was originally intended to be shown. Let's just wait and it will eventually happen...  ;D

It was #4 and #5 on the first two weeks it was shown. D'oh!

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 01:36 PM »

is that good or bad? is it it's ranking for all the shows on air in its time slot or it's over all rating compared to all the shows on air the entire week?
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 02:07 PM »
Its rating compared to all other primetime shows in the week. IIRC, it was Magandang Gabi, Bayan, Maalaala, Wansapanataym, then Ol' SydNVaughn4EVAH!

BTW, does anyone know if Vaughn is Vaughn's first name or last name? Cause I'm having a heck of a time figuring his last name out. I think I heard it na. At any rate, it's gotta be better than what I came up with - Vaughn Cassidy (maliiii!) and Vaughn Jovi (mas lalong maliiii!)

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 04:03 PM »
Vaughn is his last name. His real name is Michael Vaughn.  ;D

In season 2 they change the opening spiel and they always show him and his CIA profile in the beginning.

anyway, i just hope they cancel in on ABS and move it to Studio 23. All my friends are in bugging me to lend them my season one since they all can't stand the tagalog version.  ::)
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2002 at 04:05 PM by acidburn »

Offline Homer Jay

• Collector
  • D'OH!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 04:21 PM »

Heck, I'd be better watching the Simpsons and 24 on Mondays. Alias is shown on Mondays, right? Heck, I don't even know... much less care... about that dubbed show. That's not what I call "entertainment".  ;D

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 04:40 PM »
Vaughn is his last name. His real name is Michael Vaughn.  ;D

In season 2 they change the opening spiel and they always show him and his CIA profile in the beginning.

anyway, i just hope they cancel in on ABS and move it to Studio 23. All my friends are in bugging me to lend them my season one since they all can't stand the tagalog version.  ::)

:shrug: Apparently we're not the intended audience. Can't fault them for knowing whom they broadcast to.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 05:02 PM »
I'm not watching it as well, precisely because it's in Tagalog...

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 05:46 PM »
A lot more people who AREN'T you are watching, however.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 08:12 PM »
Really? you think they're getting more viewers in Tagalog than in English?

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 08:25 PM »
it is possible. The first season of Alias is pretty much more action and the plot isn't overly elaborate so i think alot of viewers will be atracted to it. Plus you know jennifer Garner's a Babe and Michael Vartan is't too bad to look at either.  ;D

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 11:03 AM »
Really? you think they're getting more viewers in Tagalog than in English?

Read my posts upthread. NO English-language ANYTHING has been able to crack the top 5 ratings positions in the Philippines within the past 15 years, outside of ABS-CBN's marathon broadcast of A Dangerous Life in - what was that, '88?

(repeating myself in Tagalog this time in case you didn't understand my posts above) Nang tinagalog ang Alias naka #4 at #5 sa unang dalawang linggo nag pagbu-brodkast. Mas marami ngang manonood ang nanonood ng Tagalog.

I'm not on their side in this one, but I do see their motivation, and it's a valid one. Why deprive the Tagalog-speaking audience of a interesting show just to appease purists? It's not like it's Whedon, where almost every word is of import, unless it's FireFLOP.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2002 at 11:10 AM by Holly Golightly »

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 11:07 AM »
hopefully they show this on studio 23, in english... that way they serve all their audiences...

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 10:26 PM »
Top Ranked Science Fiction/Fantasy Genre Network Series
November 11-17 (based on number of viewers)

1) Alias (ABC) - 5.9/9 (9.7 million)
2) Smallville (WB) - 4.3/7 (7.4 million)
3) John Doe (FOX) - 4.0/7 (6.8 million)
4) Charmed (WB) - 3.1/5 (5.1 million)
5) Buffy the Vampire Slayer (UPN) - 3.1/5 (4.8 million)
6) Enterprise (UPN) - 3.0/5 (4.5 million)
6) Firefly (FOX) - 2.9/5 (4.5 million)
8) Angel (WB) - 2.6/4 (4.3 million)
9) Birds of Prey (WB) - 2.5/4 (4.0 million)
10) The Twilight Zone (UPN) - 1.9/3 (2.9 million)

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
ALIAS on ABS-CBN...
« Reply #59 on: Jan 17, 2003 at 06:21 PM »
Alias fans, better check out One Hour Photo. You'll know what I mean...
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!