Author Topic: Need help in buying LCD TV  (Read 1385 times)

Offline demmet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need help in buying LCD TV
« on: Nov 21, 2007 at 03:33 AM »
lets make this fast...

Sony - 46" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
Model: KDL-46V2500

This HDTV channels the power of the BRAVIA ENGINE to provide rich, lush images with striking 7000:1 contrast. Two HDMI interfaces provide faithful connections to your A/V components.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8179455&st=kdl46v2500&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1172881381461

VERSUS

Sharp Aqous 46 1080p LCD TV
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Contrast Ratio: 10,000:1 (Dynamic)
Brightness: 450 cd/m2

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11238429&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|79|2341&N=4001374%204294967118&Mo=4&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=#

whats the difference having it viewed on  dynamic?..is sony better?(7000:1)..im not sure ifs that dynamic or what..

need to buy asap... sale will end tommorow.

help will be appreciated.

Offline Tonmeister

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
Re: Need help in buying LCD TV
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 10:52 AM »
For starters, please read my post below re Top 3 Tips for Buying an LCD TV.

Since you plan to get a 46 incher, i would suggest that you check the Panasonic plasma for better picture quality and you save a lot of money in the process, unless you're mind is set on getting either one of the models you mentioned. If you are, then I would go for the Sony.

Lastly, i don't know where you plan to make your purchse (where there is a sale) but i suggest that you visit any of these shops for best prices and best demo. Mas mura sa kanila compared to your friendly appliance dealers:
Listening Room - SM Megamall
Sights & Sounds - Shangri-La
Theaterworks - Trinoma

Here's sharing with you an article I read in the Net. Likewise, I've added my personal tips when buying an LCD TV.

Top 3 Tips for Buying an LCD TV
by Amy Metz

I want a larger screen and so do you. There is absolutely no reason for this wanting except for the feeling of power that a large screen gives you. I have no idea why it is, but we all seem to want a larger screen for our TVs these days. The question is, how to get a good deal on an LCD TV without paying a fortune. Let's give you our top 3 tips on buying an LCD TV.

1. Don't buy a used one if you don't have to. The funny thing about these TVs is that their prices drop significantly every month and that if you just wait a little longer, the price you'll pay for a new TV is probably not going to be too far off from the price that you are going to pay for a used one. A little patience might actually save you some dollars here.

2. Compare features, not just prices. One of our favorite places to go to compare prices on LCD TVs is ConsumerReports.org. Consumer Reports was rating different items way before the internet even become popular. Remember buying your first real car? I do. And I went straight to Consumer Reports to find out that the Honda Accord was the car to buy (and still is according to CR). Shopping for a high end LCD Tv shouldn't be any different than shopping for a new car. All the resources are at your disposal, so give it a try. I'm sure you can find some gems of information at CR regarding your LCD Tv purchase.

3. HD is coming, don't miss out. High definition television has allegedly been "right around the corner" for years. Well, that time may finally have arrived. Some LCD Tvs come HD ready and some do not. Make sure your new LCD TV supports HD so that when it is finally popularized, you can watch the programs utilizing this latest technology.
And by the way, why would someone want to buy an LCD TV over a "Plasma". And what is a plasma? Are they different than LCDs? Basically yes. The big difference is that they use different technologies to deliver a picture. Both have pros and cons. However, both deliver a large screen experience to the user.

I would like to add my own Top 3 things to look out for when buying an LCD TV:
1. Can it display blacks accurately? Check which models offer richer contrast and better detail especially in dark TV and movie scenes.
2. Which model has the best viewing angle? How far you can sit on either side of the screen before the qualities of the pictures are affected is what the "viewing angle" is. Check which model's brightness and color remain solid even when viewed at an angle.
3. Which model has the least light leakage on the LCD screen as this affects color saturation?

As an add on, also look out for VIDEO NOISE and GHOSTING. You can spot video noise when you see pixels become "agitated" in a portion of a picture on screen. On the other hand, ghosting is when a fast moving image leaves a trail (ghost).
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2007 at 11:04 AM by Tonmeister »

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 12:41 PM »
thanks for the heads up.. ill gamble for the sharp...

We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund,
subject to certain product-specific limitations on electronics, alcohol and
tobacco. TVs, computers, iPod/MP3 players, cameras/camcorders and wireless
phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a full refund.

Members' receive free technical support for the lifetime of TVs, computers,
iPod/MP3 players, cameras/camcorders and extended 2 year manufacturer
warranty on Televisions and Computers by calling Costco Concierge Services
at toll free 1-866-861-0450.

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 01:08 PM »
just curious. do you reside in the US or are you shipping the item? lcd panels are really cheap in the US specially now with their thanksgiving sale. sana meron din ganyan sa pinas. hay....

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 02:17 PM »
^^ I lived here. ;D ;D

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 03:33 PM »
Based on my showroom observation na validated na rin by internet reviews, Sony is now tops when it comes to LCD picture quality & build quality with the caveat of having to pay a premium vis-a-vis other LCD brands. I know that it was Sharp R&D that got the LCD ball rolling but apparently Sony has overtaken them.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 03:58 PM »
^^ I lived here. ;D ;D

now you got me confused snce you quoted something from costco ::) i don't know how relevant this statement is if you'll make the purchase locally.

and also, i think our colleague lithium_deuteride agrees with my observaton that the sony is superior to sharp. anyway, at the end of the day, it's your call and go for the product that you can live with. good luck.

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2007 at 04:58 AM »
Sony.... 30 days return policy...extended warranty for 2 yrs will cost $399.

Sharp.. 90 days FULL Refund.. incase you want to return it... comes with a 2 yrs ext warrnty at no cost.

Offline Funky_Monkey

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Hi
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2007 at 08:10 AM »
kakainggit!  46inches for just that much :D

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2007 at 10:04 AM »
well, like what i always say, at the end of the day the buyer will always be the judge and the only person who can determine what works best and what will make him happy :) cheers!