Author Topic: Himala: Available Now for Php 299/399 (2 Disc SE)  (Read 24797 times)

Offline khumpleetist

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Himala: Available Now for Php 299/399 (2 Disc SE)
« Reply #30 on: Dec 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM »
I found it in Astrovision at Robinsons Magnolia.

Thanks! Got mine from Astrovision Trinoma.

Offline Astroplus1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 12:54 AM »
You can also order this through Astroplus Online. :)

Local orders (free shipping): http://bit.ly/UpsIoJ
International orders: http://bit.ly/UEVd2L

Thank you!

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 02:13 AM »
Is there any word out for an HD version?

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2013 at 04:31 AM »
Got my copy today.  Packaging aside, this has got to be the best released Pinoy DVD to date.  The video is not perfect but it's a huge improvement over the original release.  It's anamorphic widescreen in a dual-layered DVD.  It's matted widescreen though (i.e., the original DVD seems to have more video information at the top and bottom of the screen).  I guess that this is the original theatrical projection of the film.  What shines though is the wealth of special features.  The newly-produced documentary is great.  The technical restoration feature is also very informative and I'm a sucker for this kind of special feature.  There's also a very good interview with Nora and Ricky Lee. The teasers and promotions are OK but are nice additions.  I am currently listening to the audio commentary. A treasure.

BTW it's definite that the print used for restoration has the burnt-in English subtitles. It's the exact subtitles as the original DVD release.

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM »
THE BEST PINOY DVD TO DATE! I enjoyed the documentary even more! Cant wait for ORO PLATA MATA!
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM »
Taga PinoyDVD kaya to? hhehee saw this from FB

"TO THE POWERS THAT BE AT STAR RECORDS: I own over 600 dvd's from 8 countries, so I can say without hesitation that the packaging for this DVD release of "Himala" is literally the worst I have ever had the misfortune of purchasing. Not even a standard plastic case, it's literally two discs stuck to a cardboard folder without so much as a plastic tray on the inside, or even a synopsis on the back to tell you what's inside. Of course, someone in marketing will probably say it's because everyone who wants a copy already knows what it is, but if that were the case, then what was the purpose of the restoration, if not to preserve the legacy of "Himala" for new viewers and/or future generations? One would never know it was a landmark in Philippine - much less, world - cinema. Disc One contains the restored film, along with a newly-recorded audio commentary featuring Ricky Leee and key members of the cast and crew. Disc Two has the excellent feature-length "Himala Ngayon" documentary, as well as the anniversary vignettes shot for Cinema One's brilliant anniversary awareness campaign. Please, whoever's in charge, please do this one over. "Baler" comes in a BOX, for crying out loud! I am not a Noranian by any stretch of the imagination, but I can say without a doubt, "Himala" is a far superior film, and it certainly deserves better."

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM »
Taga PinoyDVD kaya to? hhehee saw this from FB

"TO THE POWERS THAT BE AT STAR RECORDS: I own over 600 dvd's from 8 countries, so I can say without hesitation that the packaging for this DVD release of "Himala" is literally the worst I have ever had the misfortune of purchasing. Not even a standard plastic case, it's literally two discs stuck to a cardboard folder without so much as a plastic tray on the inside, or even a synopsis on the back to tell you what's inside. Of course, someone in marketing will probably say it's because everyone who wants a copy already knows what it is, but if that were the case, then what was the purpose of the restoration, if not to preserve the legacy of "Himala" for new viewers and/or future generations? One would never know it was a landmark in Philippine - much less, world - cinema. Disc One contains the restored film, along with a newly-recorded audio commentary featuring Ricky Leee and key members of the cast and crew. Disc Two has the excellent feature-length "Himala Ngayon" documentary, as well as the anniversary vignettes shot for Cinema One's brilliant anniversary awareness campaign. Please, whoever's in charge, please do this one over. "Baler" comes in a BOX, for crying out loud! I am not a Noranian by any stretch of the imagination, but I can say without a doubt, "Himala" is a far superior film, and it certainly deserves better."

At Php 399 for a two-disc set with a restored feature (authored in dual-layer DVD and anamorphic widescreen) & newly-produced special features, one can't really complain much.

Star Cinema DVDs usually sell for between Php 600 and Php 700 & most titles are authored in a single-layer DVD & non-anamorphic widescreen.  You can really see the loss of image quality because of compression because of the limitation of the disc size (4.7 GB vs 8.5 GB).

In a perfect world, I would like both, but if I were to choose, I would rather have good authored DVD vs good packaging anyday.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2013 at 01:34 AM »
If Himala came in better packaging materials, I wouldn't hesitate to pay P700 to P800 for the standard DVD. P1,500 to P2,000 for the Blu ray with decent packaging. No Question.

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2013 at 09:37 PM »
At Php 399 for a two-disc set with a restored feature (authored in dual-layer DVD and anamorphic widescreen) & newly-produced special features, one can't really complain much.

Star Cinema DVDs usually sell for between Php 600 and Php 700 & most titles are authored in a single-layer DVD & non-anamorphic widescreen.  You can really see the loss of image quality because of compression because of the limitation of the disc size (4.7 GB vs 8.5 GB).

In a perfect world, I would like both, but if I were to choose, I would rather have good authored DVD vs good packaging anyday.

why can't we complain? just because it's priced as such? can't we get the true worth of our hard-earned money whether it's a small or large amount? nauuso na sa atin ang cheap cardboard cases maging sa mga cds. the mistress may have a good box pero same 'yung pinagkakaibitan ng discs. ano nga ba ang tawag du'n? overpricing na nga sila kung tutuusin, tinitipid pa nila ang packaging?
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2013 at 06:24 AM »
why can't we complain? just because it's priced as such? can't we get the true worth of our hard-earned money whether it's a small or large amount? nauuso na sa atin ang cheap cardboard cases maging sa mga cds. the mistress may have a good box pero same 'yung pinagkakaibitan ng discs. ano nga ba ang tawag du'n? overpricing na nga sila kung tutuusin, tinitipid pa nila ang packaging?

For that price, we are actually getting a lot for our money compared to other Star cinema releases.

I agree with you, Star cinema DVDs are way overpriced & come in very cheap packaging. At least in Himala they didn't save on the actual content. They could have easily released it in a single layer disc, barebones for the same price.

Lastly, since I'm not based in Manila, believe me, I more than understand your frustrations. Online Pinoy DVD shops charge so much for local DVDs and their shipping cost is astronomical and then you get substandard releases.. Mas mahal pa sa mga international Blu-ray Discs na usually remastered in 4K.

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2013 at 06:46 AM by rse »

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2013 at 01:13 AM »
For that price, we are actually getting a lot for our money compared to other Star cinema releases.

I agree with you, Star cinema DVDs are way overpriced & come in very cheap packaging. At least in Himala they didn't save on the actual content. They could have easily released it in a single layer disc, barebones for the same price.

Lastly, since I'm not based in Manila, believe me, I more than understand your frustrations. Online Pinoy DVD shops charge so much for local DVDs and their shipping cost is astronomical and then you get substandard releases.. Mas mahal pa sa mga international Blu-ray Discs na usually remastered in 4K.

they should really put to mind the avid collectors more than anyone else because we are the ones who still buy the dvds. we don't buy dvds for the heck of just watching them, but owning them. kung babalewalain tayo, baka magsawa tayo at mas lalong mabawasan ang market nila. mabuti nga ang viva at regal ay naglalagay pa ang embosed slipcases kung minsan.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Diva_fierce

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Feb 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM »
Sa mga nakapanood na nito sa DVD, maganda po ba yung quality? Meron pa kaya? :D

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM »
Sa mga nakapanood na nito sa DVD, maganda po ba yung quality?

Also check out this thread for related posts on the restored Himala:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,172138.0.html

Basically, the only complaint on the DVD release is the sub-standard packaging.

Offline Diva_fierce

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Feb 21, 2013 at 04:59 PM »
Wow.. thanks hehe :)