Author Topic: need help on HD  (Read 3842 times)

Offline kalirayacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
need help on HD
« on: Dec 05, 2007 at 10:48 PM »
guys i need help :D
papano ko pa magagamit un hdtv namin na philips.
papano ko magagamit un 1080i? what kind of dvd player do i need?
wla pa hdmi un tv namin ehh projector type po sya na 50 inch ata :D dont know the model pero kaya nya un 1080i ehh nagagamit ko kasi sa xbox ko ehh :D gusto ko sana mgamit sa dvd player, ano kailangan ko?
un dvd namin now hindi pa ata 1080i cap[able e :D

thansk in advance Godbless

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: need help on HD
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 03:24 PM »
guys i need help :D
papano ko pa magagamit un hdtv namin na philips.
papano ko magagamit un 1080i? what kind of dvd player do i need?
wla pa hdmi un tv namin ehh projector type po sya na 50 inch ata :D dont know the model pero kaya nya un 1080i ehh nagagamit ko kasi sa xbox ko ehh :D gusto ko sana mgamit sa dvd player, ano kailangan ko?
un dvd namin now hindi pa ata 1080i cap[able e :D

thansk in advance Godbless

Hi Kalirayacs,

Subukan kong sagutin katanungan mo bro.  Mas maganda sana makuha mo at ma-i-post yung model ng Philips HDTV mo - sounds like one of the earlier Rear-Projection TV (RPTV) sets which are HD Ready.  I would then assume in this discussion that, your TV probably still doesn't have any digital inputs (DVI/HDMI), but only CVI (Component Video Inputs)

Technically this channel delivers an analog signal but I gathered from the web that you can can actually send and receive 1080i using Component cables.  Here's a pic below of an entry level 'Monster' component cable; capable of delivering 1080i:

"Component Video 700cv Ultra High Performance Video Cable - Ultra-high performance component video cable for stunning 720p/1080i High Definition video with vivid, natural color and lifelike detail."

Now let's talk about the other part of the equation - your player.  Standard DVD players output 480i (interlaced) video. Progressive-scan players roughly double that resolution by outputting 480p (progressive scan) video - this is where you're currently at.  If your objective is to experience 1080i, sad to say but your current DVD player just won't do the job - this is one reason why you can't realize the full potential of your HD-ready RPTV yet.

Even if you buy a new DVD player with upscaler (like the Samsung DVD-HD931), your output of standard (upconverted) DVD titles will still be limited to 480p given that you're using components (If you want to utilize the full capability of these upscalers - 720p/1080i, you'll need to get a DVI/HDMI interface which would mean buying a new TV with these inputs.)

However, let's still stick with your current set-up.  If you want to keep your RPTV and do 1080i, one alternative is to buy and hook up an HD-DVD or Bluray player to your TV.  Your set will still be able to accept the signals from these HD players but downscale it to 1080i, since you're using component cables.  At least you achieved your objective.  ;)  Next time ka na lang mag-upgrade ng TV to one with digital inputs (DVI/HDMI) to experience 'full HD nirvana' eka nga.

To answer your question - can you experience 1080i viewing using your current RPTV (and via CVI)? The answer is YES, but you won't be able to do it via the DVD route.  You'll have to upgrade to the next gen HD formats (HD-DVD or Bluray).
1. Verify first that your RPTV indeed only has CVI's on top of the usual S-video and RCA inputs.
2. Purchase an HD-DVD or Bluray player and connect via components - your optimal Input
3. Your set should be able to receive the signal if it it's indeed HD-ready and but signal will be downscaled to 1080i (your target resolution anyway)
*NOTE: In this set-up your the upscaled DVDs you'll be playing using these HD players will still be limited to 480p (sayang yung HD-DVD/Bluray player mo since kaya to gawin ng ordinary DVD player with progressive scan).

If you really want to view DVDs in 720p or 1080i -
1. Dispose of your RPTV and buy a new TV panel which has digital inputs
2. If you buy a new LCD TV which is only HD-ready, then all you need to do is buy an affordable DVD upscaler (Samsung DVD-HD931 for instance if your TV has DVI input), to get 1080i
3. However, if you bought a panel which is Full HD, buy the Pioneer DV-600AV since this baby can upscale up to 1080p
4. Wait, since naka Pure-HD screen ka na, bili ka na rin ng HD players! :D

These are just suggestions and by no means are the only solutions.  Our other colleagues here in PDVD would surely have other innovative solutions. Just my 10 cents.

Hope I helped illuminate a bit.  Good luck bro...

Regards,
Marl_1
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 03:29 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline radforce

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 03:45 PM »
Why not use your Xbox(I assumed its 1st gen xbox) as you dvd player? You can use it to upscale you dvd's and divx files upto 1080i. Just install Xbox Media Center(XBMC) and set the resolution to 1080i and automatically upscaled na agad lahat ng videos mo to 1080i.

Or another option is to look for DVD player that can upscale upto 1080i using component cable.

I have a Samsung HD841 and this player can output upto 1080i using component cable.

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 04:06 PM by radforce »

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 05:07 PM »

Or another option is to look for DVD player that can upscale upto 1080i using component cable.

I have a Samsung HD841 and this player can output upto 1080i using component cable.

Is that right?  Can you confirm that bro?  I have the HD931 and it doesn't upscale via components, only through DVI.  I surfed a bit to verify and in one of the A/V forums I got this:

"Only players that can do 720p/1080i via component include LG 418 (needs LG531 firmware), LG511, LG531, Neuneo (Helios), Bravo (extinct), Skyworth, Kingwell, Momitsu v880/888(n), Yamakawa 375, LiteON LVD-2001 (extinct), Zenith DVB-318 (needs older firmware), Samsung 841/850/931/941/950/H1000 (hacked with remote code except H1000 needs firmware hack), Snazio, Zensonic, Linkplayer, and HTPC."

...which suggests that a firmware can help these Samsung DVD upscalers to upscale to 720p/1080i. 
I also checked hit one of these players on e-bay with this official description:

"Product Information:
The DVD-HD841 is the perfect match for your HDTV. If offers 720p/1080i upscaling capability via its DVI-HDCP output, delivering beautiful images from any video source. It also features DVD-Audio and Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) playback."

This thing's turning out to be confusing...  ??? ::) ???

Offline radforce

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 05:17 PM »
Yup Sir, Samsung HD841 via HDCP hack can upscale video using component cable.

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 05:31 PM by radforce »

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 05:34 PM »
Yup Sir, Samsung HD841 via HDCP hack can upscale video using component cable.

Superb!  Good for you bro, can you help me source a hack for my Sammy 931?  Got this exchange in the A/V forum as well, I hope I don't fall into the units which can't be hacked...  :-[

"Check out the DVD Player forum at AVS Forums. Several of the Sammy up-converting DVD players have a "hack" that allows up-converting via component video cables. If yours isn't one that can be hacked, like my HD931, then you are stuck. The Sammy DVI connection is HDCP coded. If it doesn't see an HDCP coded device on the receiving end, it won't transmit the video signal. In that case, use the component outputs from the Sammy to your TV and hope your TV has a good scaler. Otherwise, you've spent money on an up-converting DVD player that you can't use."

Offline kalirayacs

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:09 PM »
thansk sir marl and rad :D

mahirap pla ma achieve gusto ko , kaialngan mag palit ng tv un philips na rptv ko is mach 3.

sir marl ano po un cvi ? sorry totaly a newbie :D
meron na ako nung component cable ehh :D kaya lang parang wla pa din pinagbago, un player ko ata un bulok ehh :D

Offline radforce

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 07:56 AM »
@kali, you dont need to change naman your TV to experience 1080i. check my previous post na lang for your option(via xbox or upscaling dvd player)

@Marl_1, sorry bro guess that HDCP hack cannot be used on your 931. you can try pa din siguro yun hdcp hack available for 841 model baka magwork.

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 08:04 AM »
Bro.I have a sammy HD 841 in pristine condition that I plan to sell since I already  shifted to HDMI. PM me if interested.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 11:05 AM »
thansk sir marl and rad :D

mahirap pla ma achieve gusto ko , kaialngan mag palit ng tv un philips na rptv ko is mach 3.

sir marl ano po un cvi ? sorry totaly a newbie :D
meron na ako nung component cable ehh :D kaya lang parang wla pa din pinagbago, un player ko ata un bulok ehh :D

Hi bro - CVI stands for Component Video Inputs - you just mentioned it.  ;)
As you can see in the posts here, there are a number of alternatives open to you.  It just depends on your budget and how flexible you are in upgrading (or retaining) your current set-up.

Good luck!  :)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 11:16 AM »

@Marl_1, sorry bro guess that HDCP hack cannot be used on your 931. you can try pa din siguro yun hdcp hack available for 841 model baka magwork.

Hi bro, success! I was aggressively searching for that elusive HD931 hack and was able to pick it up in one of the forums outside PDVD.  The one posting said it unfortunately didn't work in his set-up so I was reluctant to try it per might as well.  I tried it and bang - it worked.  I can now sift through 720p/1080i options using the DVI button on the unit, which I wasn't able to do before. 

Is it really upscaling - that I have to verify and test again.  In the DVI connection, the screen momentarily blacks out when you cycle through the options, but via CVI the screen doesn't do that. It continues to play.

Anyway offhand, it looks like it's working.  Purely based on my ocular - it did match the DVI connection (had both connections hooked up so I can switch back and forth to compare).  So... for all the DVD HD-931 owners who are obliged to use CVI - here's the remote code below.  Enjoy!  ;D

ANGLE-4-3-2-7-ANGLE

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 at 03:55 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline radforce

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 11:49 AM »
Nice! same remote hack din pala for 931 :)

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 at 02:01 PM by radforce »

Offline kalirayacs

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 03:47 PM »
@ rad
sir xbox 360 po sakin ehh :D hindi ata pwede dvd dun ehh :D alam ko bibili pa ako ng extra player ehh :D

what player do you suggest pa ?

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 03:57 PM »
Nice! same remote hack din pala for 931 :)

Is that right? Ayos!!!  ;)  My DLP TV only has one DVI port so when my PS3's connected, have to resort to CVI for my upscaler. Thanks for the inputs as well.  :)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 08:07 AM »
Help me on this please...

I am presently using DIGITAL COAX from my Sony Blu to my receiver. The SQ is already in excellent level to my ears. Now, will it be better still if i use the 5.1 analog to my receiver. I am asking because if i will buy one it will be around 7 meters and maybe very pricey. However, if it brings additional improvement then the investment will be worth i think. What do you think guys? thanks  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 02:27 PM »
Help me on this please...

I am presently using DIGITAL COAX from my Sony Blu to my receiver. The SQ is already in excellent level to my ears. Now, will it be better still if i use the 5.1 analog to my receiver. I am asking because if i will buy one it will be around 7 meters and maybe very pricey. However, if it brings additional improvement then the investment will be worth i think. What do you think guys? thanks  ;)

Digital Coax can only send the DD or DTS audio track in the secondary or auxillary tracks of a Blu Ray disc.  It's also possible that the player downsamples the higher bitstreams from the BD's mandatory LPCM or dolby plus tracks and passes it via toslink or digital coax route.

THe only way to enjoy the new lossless formats is either via HDMI or 5.1 analog connection.  Your BD player DACs processes the 5.1 LPCM data from your disc and sends that to the 5.1 analog.  Early BDs have LPCM tracks which are already uncompressed audio data.  Newer ones already have the DDTrueHD or even DTS MA which you can think of as just zipped LCPM files using lossless compression. 

SO if you want to experience the sonics of the new audio formats, use 5.1 analog if you can't use HDMI. 

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 05:33 PM »
I have a friend who has a Helios H4000 upscaling DVD player.
and it can upscale your DVD's up to 1080i via component, PQ is pretty smooth to my eyes.

I think it costs around $169
It's not available nga lang locally.  ;)