High-Def > Blu-ray Content

Help! PAL PS3 DVD and Blu-ray compatibility

(1/3) > >>

rico_g:
anybody here knows which regions for dvd and blu-ray are compatible for ps3?

aeris30:

--- Quote from: rico_g on Dec 20, 2007 at 03:10 AM ---anybody here knows which regions for dvd and blu-ray are compatible for ps3?

--- End quote ---

If you are using a PAL PS3 most likely your PS3 is Region B for blu-ray movie discs & region 2 for standard dvds. Which means you can't play blu-ray movies from Region A countries like US, Japan & Asia. PS3 blu-ray games are not region coded.

Marl☆1:

--- Quote from: rico_g on Dec 20, 2007 at 03:10 AM ---anybody here knows which regions for dvd and blu-ray are compatible for ps3?

--- End quote ---

Just to add as well, everything depends on where you sourced your PS3 bud.

For BDs, here are three region codes:
A    North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Southeast Asia.
B    Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand.
C    India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central, and South Asia.

*Source: Wiki

Same hold true for DVD coding:
Region code    Area
0    Informal term meaning "world-wide". Region 0 is not an official setting and discs that bare the Region 0 symbol either have no flag set or Region 1-6 flags set.
1    Bermuda, Canada, the Cayman Islands, United States and U.S. territories
2    Albania, Andorra, Bahrain, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Egypt, European Union, Faroe Islands, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Guernsey, Iceland, India, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Isle of Man, Israel, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Oman, Portugal, Poland, Qatar, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovakia, South Africa, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Vatican City State, Yemen
3    Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Macau, South Korea, and Taiwan
4    Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Central America, the Caribbean, Mexico, Oceania, and South America (except French Guiana)
5    African countries not explicitly included in other regions, countries included in the former Soviet Union, the Indian subcontinent, Mongolia, North Korea, and Seychelles
6    People's Republic of China (except Macau and Hong Kong)
7    Reserved for future use (found in use on protected screener copies of MPAA-related DVDs, and "media-copies" of pre-releases in Asia)
8    International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships, etc.[1]
ALL    Region ALL discs have all 8 flags set, allowing the disc to be played in any locale on any player.

Source: Wiki

Just cross-tab the two graphs above and you've got the profile for your specific PS3.  ;)

rico_g:
great info... thanks!!! just wondering kasi... when i bought my ps3 second hand... the guy who sold me the unit told me that there are cerain r1 blu rays playable... we tried one oif his blu ray movies and it worked... weird... well in any case... i'll just have to get a seperate blu-ray... or maybe wait till blu-ray players become region free... much like what happened to the dvds.... thanks man!

aeris30:

--- Quote from: rico_g on Dec 21, 2007 at 02:34 AM ---great info... thanks!!! just wondering kasi... when i bought my ps3 second hand... the guy who sold me the unit told me that there are cerain r1 blu rays playable... we tried one oif his blu ray movies and it worked... weird... well in any case... i'll just have to get a seperate blu-ray... or maybe wait till blu-ray players become region free... much like what happened to the dvds.... thanks man!

--- End quote ---

Because some blu-ray movie discs are region free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version