Author Topic: POLL: Are You Upgrading From DVD to Blu-ray? (Please Vote!)  (Read 26356 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
I'm conducting a quick survey that the local distributors can take note of, so in case the numbers are right, companies other than Sony might want to consider selling Blu-ray/HD DVD titles locally. It seems odd that we still have to mostly rely on parallel importers/Amazon for our HD disc needs.

Please vote.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2008 at 02:52 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
lot of reasons why im not upgrading in the near future just yet, finances for one, but until a clear winner emerges from this blu-ray/hd-dvd format war.  im not joining the hd-def crowd just yet. :D

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Currently stucked with SD.  Planning to upgrade to Blu-ray with a PS3 purchase in 2008 (I said the same last year, though it was not fulfilled).  One of the reason I had not upgraded yet, is that unless I move up to a bigger and higher-res TV, the difference in PQ would be minimal (My current TV is a 1080i 32" Samsung). 

One thing that might force me to upgrade immediately is if Disney start releasing their classic limited-time only line in Blu-ray, I expect that this coming year with Sleeping Beauty (@Oct 2008) or Snow White (2009).  Until then, Standard Definition will suffice.

No HD-DVD in the cards for me, but if Xbox 360 with HD-DVD's price drops low enough, you can never tell...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
I plan to stick with Standard DVD. 

HD DVD and Blu-ray will go the way of DVD-Audio and SACD.  The market is not interested in high res audio.  In fact, instead of higher quality music, the market went in the opposite direction --- MP3  ;).

The same is true for high res video.  The HD DVD and Blu-ray market will remain a niche market.

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2007 at 03:10 PM by barrister »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Dipping your foot in the hi-def market mean more expenses---total upgrade of your system, not to mention buying hi-def software. If you experience hi-def, you wouldn't settle for SD anymore. Nakatikim lang ng masarap....hinahanap hanap na. ;D 

I might just eat what I am saying now..... :-\

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
The HD DVD and Blu-ray market will remain a niche market.

I actually believe this, as well. I think HD/BR is to DVD as Laser Disc was to VHS.

If you experience hi-def, you wouldn't settle for SD anymore.

Unfortunately, that's also very true. I was extremely happy with my SD DVD of Transformers. Then as an experiment, I played it simultaneously with my HD DVD of the same title, toggling between the two outputs. The difference was startling.

It's a good thing my SD DVD version is in a transforming case, or else it would have absolutely no function in my collection anymore.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2007 at 11:08 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Will the Blu and Purple have their own LE's,giftset's and boxsets soon? If they will, I'm sure that it will not be affordable to many given the price of both formats today.

I plan to stick with my SD's in the coming years,unless the prices of both format and its players will be at par with the standard SD's and players at present.  ;D

I wonder how many years will that be.  ::)
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2007 at 10:34 PM by frootloops »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
I have gone to fellow member's HT setups comparing SD & HD sound & video.

There is an improvement in video and audio... definitely. But is it commensurate/worth it to spend that much to upgrade your entire setup & DVD collection? Even as an AV enthusiast, my subjective personal answer is no... at least not yet.

I read that the difference of 1080p can only be noticed on a 65" above screen.

Plus with what I experienced with the new surround formats, I agree with what was said in other forums that you really have to own a good well-powered setup to hear the difference. Thats why I agree if the receiver companies only release their HD sound capable recevers for the higher models only. 

My recommendation is if you can really afford it, why not? but if you cant, dont push it.  :)

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2008 at 05:35 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Well Said Matzter! But Just like Nerveblocker ,and my vote.....just might be eating my words ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
Niche market for now, yes.   But will it remain that way?   IMO, I dont think so.   Consumers may not be interested in high res audio, but I think are very much into high res video.    Consumers adopted DVD, then Upconverting DVD players, then HDTVs.   It is just a matter of time before they will find a HD source to match their HDTV sets.   

A recent report supports the trend. 

Amazon Reports Strong Holiday Sales For HD DVD, Blu-ray Players

Singling out strong sales for next-gen disc players, Amazon.com says the 2007 holiday shopping season was its best yet.

According to a company press release, Amazon customers ordered more than 5.4 million items during the retailer's busiest day (December 10th) -- that's more than 62 items per second.

The company went on to say that it had sold enough high-disc players during November and December to cover seven football fields.

The residual effects of such strong next-gen hardware sales appeared to be in full force late Wednesday, as HD DVD and Blu-ray discs dominated Amazon's real-time list of top-selling DVDs (fueled, no doubt, by a pair of post-Christmas sales for both formats -- see related stories below).

"We are very grateful to our customers," said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. "On behalf of Amazon.com employees around the globe, we wish everyone happy holidays and best wishes for 2008."

Current DVD top-selling list (at the time of posting) includes 4 Harry Potter Movies in HD DVD occupying the top four slots (courtesy of BOGO promo).   I think hollywood studios and CE companies are doing more than enough for HD media not to go the way of DVD-audio or SACD. 
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2007 at 08:08 AM by Munskie »

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
Re: POLL: Are You Upgrading From DVD to HD DVD/Blu-ray? (Please Vote!)
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 07:51 AM »
If the prices of software [SD/HD] are almost the same [a few dollars difference maybe] I'll take HD . Offers from Amazon's BOGO is quite tempting to jump in.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 07:57 AM »
I still buy DVDs that I like, but also starting to buy some HD movies that I really want in HD format already.  

Matzer is right.  if you have the bucks, then go for it.  Me, I don't want to push it.  pricing of HD gears and HD movies are quite expensive.  That's why I envy those members whose setup is already geared for full HD and HD audio!  Panalo!  ;D

For us PinoyDVD members, SARS is a continous process. We want to achieve the best that our budget could afford.  Eventually, the trend will lead us all to the HD world.  If it will take years, then lets wait.  :D
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2007 at 07:59 AM by Mo®pHeOu$ »

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 08:23 AM »
WAHAHAY SARS!!!!
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 09:42 PM »
If you are an AV enthusiast, you will find ways and means to satisfy your hunger for the best audio and video there is......

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2007 at 11:22 PM »
Marami pala ang merong both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats.

Current DVD top-selling list (at the time of posting) includes 4 Harry Potter Movies in HD DVD occupying the top four slots (courtesy of BOGO promo).   I think hollywood studios and CE companies are doing more than enough for HD media not to go the way of DVD-audio or SACD. 

Thanks for pointing that out.  HD DVD titles beating SD-DVD!  Amazing piece of info.  Even if the BOGO promo was mainly responsible, it's still a phenomenal feat.

=========================================================

Nice article, with a funny story about friends showing off their new plasma TV to the author and his wife:

Commentary: Living in Fear of the Niche
Fri Nov 09, 2007 at 04:30 PM ET
Joshua Zyber

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Joshua_Zyber/Commentary:_Living_in_Fear_of_the_Niche/1154

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2007 at 12:26 AM by barrister »

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 09:48 PM »
I'm pretty satisfied with my DVD collection.

However, I do have an HD-DVD HD-A2 player.

I have decided that I will only get Big special effects movies on High-Def.
(ex. 300, Transformers, Superman etc.)

I mean, Is there any difference between SD Casablanca to HD Casablanca?
old black & white movies look great on SD to me.

Just a thought  ;)

I definitely want to see The Godfather Trilogy released in HD,
because the SD version is super grainy.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 11:34 PM »

I mean, Is there any difference between SD Casablanca to HD Casablanca?
old black & white movies look great on SD to me.

Just a thought  ;)

yes there is.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 01:01 AM »
yes there is.

I second that. I was totally taken by surprise. It's such an old film but the PQ is great! :) 

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 09:49 AM »
really?

wow, I'm being ignorant. haha
I never really bothered to check old movies in HD,
Guess I'll have to borrow first, and see for myself.

Tnx.

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 10:31 AM »
For me, not yet. I'm still waiting for prices to go down as well as more titles to come up.  :)
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 11:51 AM »
who would'nt want too!?

i would love to cross over the hd/br world! however, the prices are still too stiff for both disc and console ! and i guess would need to upgrade everything to full hd to satisfy oneself.

i guess another reason i would stay, would be packaging! im a sucker for nicely packaged dvds (steel books, box sets and gift sets) !

pwde side by side collection ;D

but i also know that SARS will eat you up slowly and surely! lalo na dito sa PDVD nakakahawa, wala pang 1 year mag uupgrade ka na (kaagad) ! pero kahit naman sabihin mo na wala kang pera pag nag compute ka you would'nt believe that one could spend that much, in one year, in this hobby  ;D given that you already have the lcd, all you need to jumpstart is the console, then i bet sunod sunod na (unconsciously) ang gastos!

( palagay ko nga pag nag sale ang theater works ng hd-dvd player or br people may start upgrading or even start-off with hd already...parang yung ginawa nila sa upscaling dvd player and lcd tv...SARS! )

so for me, i will, when able and ready or should i say at the right time  ;D

You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 12:27 PM »
It's not so much of the player or the disc costs. With the on going intense competition due to the format war, nowdays the players prices are plummenting rapidly thus making them affordable (similar to some of the Nokia cellphone prices). As for disc, with the constant promo esp the popular "buy 1 free 1" nice deal even out the odd. :)

Probably the main hindrance factors are the HDTV and AVR/speakers. These gears will require big investment. But for many the new AVR or the HD audio is not a priority (most folks are still happy using their existing AVR). But once you have passed tru the HD display stage i.e. you own a HD LCD or Plasma....then getting your feet wet into the HD world is much easier na. :D 
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008 at 12:29 PM by pchin »

Offline Xavier

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 02:12 AM »
I doubt Blueray/HDDVD will just be a niche market.  Unlike laser discs, blueray/HDDVD are heading (and already have) to living rooms (Xbox360, Playstation 3) and home computers.  Unlike laser discs, the prices of these new generation titles are comparable to new release DVD titles.  In fact, if you buy a Playstation 3 in the US you get 10 blueray titles free.

Once the dust settles and one winner emerge, expect a huge leap forward in the industry.  It reminds me of the DIVX vs. DVD wars.  DIVX was gaining momentum by getting exclusive titles.  It stalled the growth of DVD for a little while.  When DIVX lost, the DVD industry immediately made its giant leap forward.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 03:03 AM »
The only reason why Hi Def disc prices fell so fast was because there were 2 competing formats.

The whole point in introducing a new format was to revive sagging profits from home video sales.  SD DVD profits became so slim that the studios needed a new format to milk.

HD DVD knew that Blu ray production costs were high, so the former figured that the latter would not be able to survive a price war.  However, a price war would mean defeating the very purpose of introducing a new format -- reviving profits from disc sales. But if one could keep this up until after the other goes out of business, then the survivor will be able to get any price it wants.   

After yesterday's stunning news about Warner's Blu-ray exclusivity starting June 2008, it appears that Blu-ray has finally won the war.  And with the competition out of the way, what will stop Blu-ray from jacking up its prices this time?

Eventually, market acceptance and mass production will cause Blu-ray prices to fall.  And when prices fall too low, that would be the cue to introduce yet another new format to milk. 

Despite the never-ending introduction of new formats, I'm betting SD DVD will still be around.

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 03:07 PM by barrister »

Offline Jef Costello

• Apprentice
  • SINISTER MONK
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 02:55 PM »
  Whoever wins the DVD format wars, then that I may upgrade. Steep prices for HD DVD/BD players also prevent me to. Right now I'm quite happy with my SD purchases.

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 03:51 PM »

After yesterday's stunning news about Warner's Blu-ray exclusivity starting June 2008, it appears that Blu-ray has finally won the war.  And with the competition out of the way, what will stop Blu-ray from jacking up its prices this time?

probably means no discount and 'BOGOs' na din fr. amazon . . .

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 04:32 PM »
Aside from high prices, how about new and improved DRM (Digital Rights Management)?  New licenses for Blu-ray player manufacturers prohibiting dual format players?
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 04:38 PM by barrister »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 04:35 PM »
Aside from high prices, how about new and improved DRM (Digital Rights Management)?  New licenses for Blu-ray player manufacturers prohibiting dual format players?

I think development of new dual format players will cease because Blu-ray will eventually be the winning HD format. 
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 04:40 PM »
I guess you're right.  There's probably no point in developing dual format players after the Warner news. 

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 06:25 PM »
Ive read that since 1997, 2007 is the first time DVD sales went down versus the year before, something like 4% (sorry i cant remember the link).   With the Warner announcement, Blu-ray will be up against a very formidable foe now in DVD.  ;)

Blu-ray also has another foe.......the drop in DVD sales was attributed not to HD media, but to video on demand and internet downloads.... ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 06:37 PM by Munskie »