Author Topic: POLL: Are You Upgrading From DVD to Blu-ray? (Please Vote!)  (Read 26352 times)

Offline Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: POLL: Are You Upgrading From DVD to HD DVD/Blu-ray? (Please Vote!)
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:22 PM »
Let's also not forget that US, Europe, Japan and the rest of the industrialized nations have started to broadcast TV shows in high-def.  It is just a matter of time.  Whether you like it or not, you can't stop progress.

High-def will only be a fad in the Philippines.  We're still getting movies in DVD5!  Knowing how our local DVD industry operates, they'll just copy a DVD title to a blueray disc and sell it as high-def.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:25 PM »
High-def will only be a fad in the Philippines.  We're still getting movies in DVD5!  Knowing how our local DVD industry operates, they'll just copy a DVD title to a blueray disc and sell it as high-def.

hehe that's a scary thought much like all the cheapipay magna DVD's.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:46 PM »

Just visit an Astrovision or Odyssey outlet and you'll still see more VCD titles than DVD titles.   
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:49 PM by barrister »

Online Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 01:44 PM »
I know there are much deeper economic facets to justify its valid existence, but VCDs should have never been introduced in the market. VHS tapes had better quality PQ and reliability than VCDs and it's a shame we have this neanderthal "link" still in the stores.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 03:56 PM »
VCDs were actually developed in 1993 by Sony, Philips, Matsushita and JVC.  In 1987, these companies released the "White Book", a standard for CDs containing sound and video/still pictures.

Thus, VCD appeared before the development of DVD, and was intended as an optical alternative to the magnetic tape of VHS.  VCD became very popular in Asia not only because they were cheaper, but also because they can better withstand the high heat and humidity of the region.

I would say that VCD served its purpose in the South East Asian region prior to the introduction and mass market acceptance of DVD.

To those who believe that the Pinoy mass market will be shifting to HD video in the near future, consider this:

DVD has already given us quality and reliability that is vastly superior to VCD, yet VCD remains popular, even after DVD prices have become very reasonable.  Notice that there are no more generic VCD-only players today (generics today are available as DVD players that are VCD-compatible), yet VCD continues to be popular.

With this premise, it's unlikely that the mass market will be interested in HD.  The ordinary Pinoy consumer wll eventually shift to DVD, but HD video will still be a long way off.

Just look at pinoydvd.  This is a video enthusiast's forum, yet there are so many members ignoring HD formats.  What more for the non-enthusiasts?

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008 at 04:22 PM by barrister »

Online Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 04:16 PM »
Here's something to supplement Sir Barrister's post on Warner's Blu-Ray exclusivity from the Geek Magazine website:

http://geekmonthly.com/blog/?p=48

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 10:54 PM »
Yes, sir barrister. very well said.
that's also what I had in mind :D

Online Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 12:56 PM »
So, has there been any significant feedback from local distributors regarding the Warner and New Line news on Blu-Ray?

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:50 AM »
plans of getting a full-hd lcd and universal hd player and discs. hopefully 2008

7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 12:04 PM »
when the Dual Shock 3 controller comes out in the North American market, i'm buying a PS3 which will also serve as my BluRay player

in the 6 years i had a PS2, i never owned a separate DVD player.  same thing will happen for BluRay and PS3 for me

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #40 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 09:29 AM »
 ;D OT reminded me, my PS1 served as my vcd player and when i upgraded to PS2 it served as my dvd player ;D 2006 na ako bumili ng dvd player dahil sa pinoy dvd. i guess same thing will happen when i get a ps3.
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 10:48 AM »

From: High-Def > HD DVD & Blu-ray Players > Topic: The War Begins...

Apple’s iTunes Store movies outsell HD DVD, Blu-ray titles

Interesting data.  Similar to DVD-Audio & SACD vs. MP3.

Now that HD DVD is out of the way, let's see if there will be a different trend in sales figures.

Offline joaquin888

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: POLL: Are You Upgrading From DVD to Blu-ray? (Please Vote!)
« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2008 at 04:21 PM »
Would you guys recomend buying an HD DVD player at less than $100 bucks i heard from leo laprte of the techguy thats the best way to go since the PS3 is still too expensive at $400 to shift to blu ray might as well take advantage of the drop of HD DVD players from toshiba. he points out that the dvd's we collect will be upscaled to 720p so we will have a better dvd player and PQ will be better than our dvd players.   :-\

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2008 at 04:29 PM »
Would you guys recomend buying an HD DVD player at less than $100 bucks i heard from leo laprte of the techguy thats the best way to go since the PS3 is still too expensive at $400 to shift to blu ray might as well take advantage of the drop of HD DVD players from toshiba. he points out that the dvd's we collect will be upscaled to 720p so we will have a better dvd player and PQ will be better than our dvd players.   :-\

If you're in the States and/or the majority of your collection is R1, then yes, this is a good upscaler at under $100. If you're in the Philippines, though, I'd say it's better to buy any upconverting standard DVD player instead, so Region Code issues won't affect you.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2008 at 10:54 PM »
This is the reason why I got a PS3 -- blu ray movie watching.
I am not a hard core gamer. Mas mahilig manood ng movies.
Good thing BR won the war...kasi medyo sayang yung PS3 ko kung nag kataon.

To abvoid the high cost attached to going hi def, pinipili ko lang mga BR na binibili ko.
I still buy SD discs and use my DV 600.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #45 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 10:28 PM »
Studios Try to Save the DVD

A winner has finally been declared in Hollywood’s high-definition DVD war. So why isn’t there more cheering?

In the 1980s, the triumph of VHS over Betamax helped develop the lucrative home entertainment market. DVDs, introduced in the 1990s, turned into an even bigger gold mine, accounting for roughly 60 percent of studio profits in recent years, analysts say. The entertainment giants have positioned high-definition DVDs as yet another blockbuster business.

But the victory of Sony’s new Blu-ray high-definition disc over a rival format, Toshiba’s HD DVD, masks a problem facing the studios: the overall decline of the DVD market. Domestic DVD sales fell 3.2 percent last year to $15.9 billion, according to Adams Media Research, the first annual drop in the medium’s history. Adams projects another decline in 2008, to $15.4 billion, and a similar dip for 2009.

So instead of celebrating the Blu-ray format — which remains a nascent business — the studios are scrambling to introduce an array of initiatives aimed at propping up the broader market. Some efforts, like the addition of new interactive features and changes in how DVDs are packaged and promoted, are intended to prevent further market erosion while nurturing Blu-ray.

But media companies are also introducing technology that they hope will solve the more difficult tasks of generating growth and delaying the obsolescence of DVD altogether.

DVD sales are sagging for various reasons, including a flooded marketplace and competition for leisure time. But the Internet is perhaps the biggest enemy.

Technology companies have watered down the DVD market by aggressively pushing Internet downloads. Apple’s iTunes now offers downloads of 500 movies and last month started renting titles like “Spider-Man 3.” Meanwhile, telecommunications providers like Time Warner and Comcast are pushing their faster broadband lines by promoting them as capable of delivering fast downloads.

Movie studios are fighting back by taking a page from the Internet playbook. Indeed, the centerpiece of the market rejuvenation effort is something 20th Century Fox calls “digital copy.” Fox DVDs, starting last month, now come with an additional disc holding a digital file of the title. Consumers can download the file to a computer in about five minutes — far less time than via the Internet — and then watch the movie there or transfer it to their iPod.

“This puts the DVD at the center of the digital revolution and returns the business to a growth trajectory,” said Mike Dunn, the president of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Studios, Walt Disney and Warner Brothers are all pursuing their own versions of the idea.

Most technology consultants, while not as optimistic about the DVD’s future as Mr. Dunn, are greeting studio efforts with enthusiasm. Tom Adams, the founder of Adams Media Research, said the packaging of digital files with standard DVDs “has the real potential to steal the thunder from the Internet delivery of movies.”

But John Freeman, an industry analyst, sees the effort as a stall tactic. Although digital copies are “a step forward,” he said, that step is tantamount to Hollywood admitting that its lucrative hard-goods business is growing obsolete. Today, digital files on discs; tomorrow, mass downloading straight from the Internet.

more here..
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/25/business/media/25dvd.html?ref=movies&adxnnlx=1203948191-OsonRgW7p1LmKV7F%20sWqEA&pagewanted=all

Offline froshie1

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 04:19 AM »
maguupgrade ako once meron ng Bluray Rental shops or kung available na sa Video City ang Bluray.

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 01:39 PM »
maguupgrade ako once meron ng Bluray Rental shops or kung available na sa Video City ang Bluray.

I doubt it... my 2 cents. ;D ;D

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #48 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 03:00 PM »
with the recent prices of ps3 i may upgrade in a month or 2 baka kasi bumaba pa presyo ni ps3 eh... ;D
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #49 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 08:47 PM »
I just think that upgrading to hidef must be all or none.  If you still plan to get DVDs then don't upgrade yet to hidef.  Based on experience, I bought a PS3 planning to try Bluray.  Whenever I see a movie title coming out, I now have the dilemma if I am going to get the DVD or the Bluray version as compared before where I don't have a choice but just get the DVD release.  I am very happy already with DVD's specially upconverted via HDMI even on my 80 inch display. Most probably if your budget is limited only to DVD, the choice to buy would always be DVD unless you're filthy rich to buy all titles in hidef without buying DVDs anymore.  Somehow at the back of my mind, I was thinking if buying a Bluray player was a mistake to give me this dilemma.  Or...was it a decision too early???

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 04:27 PM »
Even if my setup is fully ready for the entire HD thing (Power amps & latest HD receiver), I still cant imagine popping out 1500++ watch it once then set it aside (my pattern). I simply dont watch movies again & again.

By golly, my fave NIKE golf shirt (Drifit UV Stretch) costs just a little more than that but I use em a lot for years. I know, I know its silly, but just giving a cost analogy here.  ;D

My proposed solution is to make a HD swap club. 1:1, among members who know each other. Obsessive compulsive members are most welcome & "burara" members get banned if they scratch their 3rd disk  :D. Add a few rules here & there and I think many of us can enjoy the full HD thing w/o being debilitated by the cost of software, if we just find ways... :D

We make more friends to boot! For me, the best thing I enjoyed in this site is the friends I made offline, why cant we all enjoy that? @$$h*les not welcome  ;D

Offline Platinum

• Trade Count: (+185)
  • Collector
  • Happy with what I have, working for what I want...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #51 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 04:46 PM »

My proposed solution is to make a HD swap club. 1:1, among members who know each other.

Mat, I agree with your great idea! Bought a PS3 for my son last year, but bought no single BD disc yet! (mahal pa kasi) Puro games lang.  :)
Enjoy what you have!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 05:16 PM »
Even if my setup is fully ready for the entire HD thing (Power amps & latest HD receiver), I still cant imagine popping out 1500++ watch it once then set it aside (my pattern). I simply dont watch movies again & again.

By golly, my fave NIKE golf shirt (Drifit UV Stretch) costs just a little more than that but I use em a lot for years. I know, I know its silly, but just giving a cost analogy here.  ;D

My proposed solution is to make a HD swap club. 1:1, among members who know each other. Obsessive compulsive members are most welcome & "burara" members get banned if they scratch their 3rd disk  :D. Add a few rules here & there and I think many of us can enjoy the full HD thing w/o being debilitated by the cost of software, if we just find ways... :D

We make more friends to boot! For me, the best thing I enjoyed in this site is the friends I made offline, why cant we all enjoy that? @$$h*les not welcome  ;D
this is a very good idea.    ;) ill welcome it.   Blu-ray discs naman is coated with some kind of material to prevent scratches.   

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 05:24 PM »
I just think that upgrading to hidef must be all or none.  If you still plan to get DVDs then don't upgrade yet to hidef. 

I would have to respectfully disagree Bro Doc.  In my experience, I enjoy all sorts of high def contents both legally and otherwise here in Tokyo.  However everytime I visit the Philippines, I still have a blast watching like 30 p*rated DVDs within the short 9 days that I stay there.   Medyo may adjustment period sa simula but after some hours, ok na rin.  My viewing distance in the Philippines is relatively farther than that of Tokyo, making image imperfections of non high def movies less visible.  In my opinion, it really depends on the movie itself, the viewing distance, and it helps if you have a decent quality HT that you can crank up without worrying about the police knocking at your door for disturbing the neighborhood.  HDM and DVDs are still very much complementary for me.

In my case, the only casualty are those 700MB avi movie files.  I totally lost interest in watching them small/windowed or heavily pixellated in fullscreen due to availability of 4.5GB high def X.264 format files.

Disk swapping (or file sharing) is a good idea basta ingatan lang yung disk please.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 08:39 PM »
Somehow I get to think that upgrading your system to hidef warrants you to watch HD software.  Sayang ang investment if you still feed your HD system with SD DVDs and not maximize the potential of your gears.  Pag nakatikim na ng mas maganda, bakit pa babalik sa pangit? Just my 2 cents.  ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 09:01 AM »
Somehow I get to think that upgrading your system to hidef warrants you to watch HD software.  Sayang ang investment if you still feed your HD system with SD DVDs and not maximize the potential of your gears.  Pag nakatikim na ng mas maganda, bakit pa babalik sa pangit? Just my 2 cents.  ;D

Agree, but I tend to take some special exceptions whenever I visit Manila.   ;D
And there's another issue nga pala.  Both the Wife and I tend to get extra dizzy when we watch too much high def.  Somehow, switching to DVD brings some relief   ;D ;D ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 10:35 AM »
Both the Wife and I tend to get extra dizzy when we watch too much high def.  Somehow, switching to DVD brings some relief   ;D ;D ;D

Really??? Haven't done an HD marathon yet.  Maybe I can ask my ophtha friends about this.  There must be a scientific explanation.   :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 01:16 PM »
Pag nakatikim na ng mas maganda, bakit pa babalik sa pangit? Just my 2 cents.  ;D

I thought we were talking about girls here.  ;D

this is a very good idea.    ;) ill welcome it.   Blu-ray discs naman is coated with some kind of material to prevent scratches.   

I have actually been swapping with a member here w/ SD for over a year now. I must admit I have saved tons of moolah w/c I just channeled to my gears. I realized I change gears more often than watch a movie the 2nd time.  :D

I just think that upgrading to hidef must be all or none.  If you still plan to get DVDs then don't upgrade yet to hidef.  Based on experience, I bought a PS3 planning to try Bluray. 

An option is to get a video scaler. Yes it might be more expensive, but it may be cheaper than renewing your entire P300k DVD collection. I have seen the video processor work at LIS with a Meridian Faroudja flagship video processor inside a Meridian digital receiver/DVDplayer. And at Streetsmart's setup with a video processor. It was hard to spot the difference between HD & SD, but there are differences, just not night & day.

HTPC processed with a good HD video card is also an option.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008 at 01:19 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #58 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 06:51 PM »
It's good to have wider choices. Tho I buy Blu-ray but from time to time I stil buy DVDs specially those Asian flicks & R1 TV series.  :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 05:20 PM »
VCDs were actually developed in 1993 by Sony, Philips, Matsushita and JVC.  In 1987, these companies released the "White Book", a standard for CDs containing sound and video/still pictures.

Thus, VCD appeared before the development of DVD, and was intended as an optical alternative to the magnetic tape of VHS.  VCD became very popular in Asia not only because they were cheaper, but also because they can better withstand the high heat and humidity of the region.

I would say that VCD served its purpose in the South East Asian region prior to the introduction and mass market acceptance of DVD.

To those who believe that the Pinoy mass market will be shifting to HD video in the near future, consider this:

DVD has already given us quality and reliability that is vastly superior to VCD, yet VCD remains popular, even after DVD prices have become very reasonable.  Notice that there are no more generic VCD-only players today (generics today are available as DVD players that are VCD-compatible), yet VCD continues to be popular.

With this premise, it's unlikely that the mass market will be interested in HD.  The ordinary Pinoy consumer wll eventually shift to DVD, but HD video will still be a long way off.

Just look at pinoydvd.  This is a video enthusiast's forum, yet there are so many members ignoring HD formats.  What more for the non-enthusiasts?

Yesterday, I came from a meeting w/ the owner of one of the 4 legit CD factories in the Phils.

I saw how they do these CD's & VCD's, interesting!

A machine costs some 70m pesos. They started with 1 machine now they have 3. Their quality control machine cost 16m. One machine can do 20k CD's a day

The above statistics (do the math) kinda shows you the thriving market share of (legit) VCD's. Its alive & kicking, & I doubt it will die easily.

The owner is planning to go bluray  :o :o :o, but still thinking of the options. Right now only Sony has a bluray plant in Japan, w/c probably accounts for the high prices now. When bluray disc plants are aplenty then we might see these prices drop. But I wonder when that will be?
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008 at 05:29 PM by MAtZTER »