Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 496837 times)

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
Re:Filipino films
« Reply #150 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 08:07 PM »

My only rant, it was the flip Movie Club, we loyal JZ fans who buy all her books and magazines should be given priority over those who have not bought, read or even heard of her works. Ang lumabas, sila sila rin lang. It's a movie club of the elite.

Well said. We were lucky, nothing more. Else, we would have been left standing outside, moping.  Kinapalan ko na nga lang ang mukha ko looking for that person I knew at Flip.

The thing is, the crowd was comprised of mostly Flip staff, their friends, sponsors and such. Sila-sila lang talaga. Paano na kaming mga dukha? Filipino film pa naman ang bansag sa Oro, Plata, Mata....

Like what I said in another thread, si direk Peque na nga ang nag-sabi na he suffered through prejudice as a tisoy cono during the late 60s and 70s, as well as prejudice for his film which was labelled by early critics as a "non-pinoy" work. He was so proud that now, his film was being appreciated as a "Filipino " work and him a Filipino as well.

Ironic then, that most Filipinos do not get to watch this masterpiece because of Lara Fabregas look-a-likes who bar you at the door.

Ganun' na ba ka-exclusive ang mga Filipino films? Pang artsy-fartsy crowd na lang? (who most likely didn't even understand the film, judging by the reactions I kept overhearing from the "elite" crowd).
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2003 at 08:12 PM by Dan »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 08:20 PM »
You're lucky also...Bro Dan!

Sana mabasa ito ng mga taga-Flip magazine, and hey, Noel I think is a writer from that magazine!

Please listen to our side...Noel!

I called Flip many times before even during the holiday season because this movie "oro,plata,mata" is schedule on Dec. 20 as advertised on Flip issue no. 3. The woman staff, (siya na naman kaya the lara Fabregas look-alike  ???) said that it is schedule on Jan. 30 with actors/actress and even Peque will attend.

But she didn't said that it is only EXCLUSIVE TO THOSE WHO HAVE INVITATIONS!

We thought if you buy the magazine which I am planning to subscribe, you can watch the movie.  ??? ??? ???

I hope they will screen it again.

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #152 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 10:25 PM »
Sorry, I wouldn't know, I just write for the rag, and I've only been paid for one article.

Don Jaime was there, didn't seem to want to greet me, whatever.  Jaza was there, at least he was nice enough to say hi.

I was outside the line myself.  I waited for a long time, and when they let the elite in they let the rest of us in.  I sat at the aisles.  

Yeah, it could have been better organized, and if they want to publicize the durn thing, they should have arranged for at least one public screening.

But you know what?  It isn't worth the fuss.  This is the fourth time I've sat through the entire film (the most complete print was back in the MIFF premiere screening, I saw at least two scenes cut in this one), and the film gets poorer and poorer with every viewing.

Next month is Temptation Island.  Now THAT I'd like to see with an audience, on the big screen (prolly going to be video projection, but what the hey)...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 10:27 PM »
Filipino Sex Films 2002 (And Why They Suck So Much)

Noel Vera

Despite President Macapagal-Arroyo's pledge for a more moral administration compared to her predecessor--the not-quite-as-ethically preoccupied former President Joseph Ejercito Estrada--the production and interest in sex flicks continues; here are some possible reasons why.

The government has its own share of problems--more than its proper share, I'd say.  If it were to cast about for a basis for comparison, I would point to the situation in which the Marcos regime found itself, during the last few years of its reign: little credibility, poor investor confidence, not a little political and social instability.  I'm not equating the two administrations--Macapagal-Arroyo is not coming to the end of twenty years' of dictatorial rule, for starters.  But if she were to talk to people from inside the regime, I think she would find their feelings of frustration and bewilderment--that so much has spun so completely out of control--to be not so very different.  If so, she would also probably discover--has discovered, for all I know--the usefulness of a discreetly loosened film industry.  The Marcos regime eventually found that censoring movies was more effort than it was worth (not to mention the bad publicity generated on the international level).  Macapagal-Arroyo, having gone through three chairmen of the Movie and Television Rating and Classification Board (the MTRCB, or--to put it bluntly--the censors) in two years (and hopefully settling down with her fourth), probably arrived at a similar conclusion.

The Marcos regime found films useful in a "bread and circuses" way--give the public what it wants (sex), and the public will (hopefully) be too distracted to rebel (yet the '80s are remembered for producing some of the finest Filipino erotic films ever made--"Init sa Magdamag" (Midnight Passion, 1983); "Boatman" (1984); "Scorpio Nights" (1985)).  When Macapagal-Arroyo first sat down as president she claimed that moral reform was a top issue on her agenda, and to show her seriousness, supported the ban on Jose Javier Reyes' arty sex flick, "Live Show"   (2001).  Nowadays you hear hardly a peep from her about moral reform in her administration, much less in the local film industry.

But it isn't just the government and the tenor of its leadership.  The depressed economy, the ugly mood of the public, the sense of helplessness and fear are similar to what you saw about you in the '80s.  Studios found that most other genres--action, fantasy, horror, drama--did generally poor to indifferent boxoffice; they found that sex was the most reliable come-on, for the relatively lowest initial investment (newcomers are actually an asset in a Filipino sex film, fresh flesh being both cheaper and more attractive).

Hence the recent resurgence of sex in Filipino cinema.  It's its umpteenth comeback--conservatism and liberalism seem to come in waves, according to what's politically fashionable at the moment.  Right now political fashion dictates that attention be directed elsewhere, on more important issues (corruption in government, the war on terrorism, the upcoming elections). No news is good news, and the studios react accordingly.

The latest practice is to hire a visual stylist to give the film an arty sheen--witness Erik Matti, whose first film "Scorpio Nights 2" (1998) was a huge hit.  Matti apprenticed under Peque Gallaga, director of the original "Scorpio Nights," and exhibits the same virtues and weaknessess--a flair for glossy imagery coupled with a near-complete inability to tell a coherent story (in the original "Scorpio," however, the story was simple enough, the locale gritty enough, the sensuality intense enough to transcend the many flaws).  Matti's latest film "Prosti" (short for 'Prostitute,' introducing fresh-faced Aubrey Miles) is all filtered amber light and insistent violin strings (shades of "In the Mood for Love,"--not that Matti was counting on people to recognize the theft) and about as substantial, one of the most ludicrous films of the year. The basic premise has a prostitute falling in love with her pimp in a "casa" (whorehouse) --problem is, whores in "casas" enjoy walk-in clients and hardly need pimps.  You see the emphasis on surface flash over everyday believability right there...

Yam Laranas is a relatively more interesting case: he worked as cinematographer for the great independent short filmmaker Raymond Red and at one point had Matti as a mentor.  His cinematography shows the influence of Red, with its casual lyricism and bold colors; unfortunately his films ("Balahibong Pusa" (Pussy Hairs, 2001), "Radyo" (Radio, 2001) betray an ineptness on the level of Matti's.  His latest film, "Hibla" (Thread) tells of a country girl (Rica Peraleja, possibly the first "probinsyana" in the Philippines to wear slipshod silicon implants) and a city girl (Maui Taylor as an equally slipshod teenage seductress) who are separated as children, and meet again as adults.  It proceeds as expected--incoherently, flaunting its pair of excruciatingly bad performances--to a sublimely silly climax involving the two girls' lovers in a wrestling match, before a nipa hut that refuses to burn down.

Quark Henares' "Gamitan" ('Plaything' being the closest translation) features equally silly moments--Maui Taylor (in her debut as sexy ingenue) and her lover chopping up a dead body--but Henares has the wit to acknowledge the silliness, and not pretend that what he's doing is art.  He makes clever use of split screens and bizarre camera angles, plus an eclectic soundtrack, to add a level of irony to an otherwise ordinary scenario of a college-girl virgin transformed into lethal seductress.

Henares is a newcomer, while Matti and Laranas have only been at it for a few years.  Joel Lamangan has been making films since the '80s, and his latest, "Bihag" (Prisoner) is not much different from most of his more commercial ventures: melodrama plus sex plus a subtext of anger fueled by class-consciousness.  Dina Bonnevie plays a former rape victim who falls in love with and marries a former general (Eddie Garcia), a respectable old monster not above torturing the occasional prisoner and raping his wife's younger sister (Assunta de Rossi).  Lamangan demonstrates heart and sensibility far beyond anything filmmakers like Matti or Laranas could ever hope to acquire (he was a political prisoner under the Marcos regime and even now is a committed activist).  If only he was a better filmmaker...

"Bihag" has its politically correct heart in the right place without being very good melodrama--the performances are pitched too shrill, the camerawork is both busy and incoherent, the ending is cribbed from the short story "The Most Dangerous Game."  I can't help admiring Lamangan, the same time I can't bring myself to like his work--but he does earn my respect, in a way Laranas and Matti have so far failed to do.

Maryo J. delos Reyes, another veteran, is no stranger to the sex flick--he recently did "Paraiso ni Efren" (Efren's Paradise, 1999) and "Red Diaries" (2001), both of which featured well-orchestrated sex (but not-as-well-orchestrated storytelling).  His "Laman" (Flesh) comes as a complete surprise--a modestly scaled yet persuasive erotic noir about an innocent "probinsyano" who ends up in a four-way affair with his wife (Lolita de Loen), his best friend (Albert Martinez) and his woman employer (Elizabeth Oropesa).  Delos Reyes plays with film grain and editing for a look as up-to-date as anything by Laranas or Matti, but with the unique advantage of a story that actually makes sense (no self-contradictory fantasy premises, no eternally combusting nipa huts).  And he is blessed with an excellent cast--Oropesa and Martinez are very fine as an amoral and more than a little decadent older couple; Servo and de Leon stand out for their fresh, unaffected performances.

It's a telling sign of the times that films like "Hibla," "Gamitan," and "Prosti" do brisk business, while "Laman" languished at the boxoffice.  The common explanation is that the three films featured women Filipino men wanted to bed--fair-skinned, innocent-looking, large (mostly artificial) breasts--while "Laman's" Lolita de Leon had genuinely huge (if droopy) breasts but was too lower class, too brown-skinned, apparently, to spark men's fantasies (blame the casting for being too accurate).  The people who flocked to "Scorpio Nights" and "Boatman" in the '80s had more on their minds than "mestiza" flesh; they were looking for an outlet for their nihilism and despair, and in those two films (consciously, unconsciously) they found powerful expression.  The same mood may have been prevalent this year, but unfortunately there wasn't the same level of talent available to make the appropriate response.

(Comments? Email me at [email protected])

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Feb 07, 2003 at 10:21 AM »
Manila By Night needs to be seen on the big screen...and even then, even with a pristine print, it can't compare to Mike De Leon's camerawork in Maynila sa Kuko (even on cable!).  

I guess it would probably be better on the big screen (I was watching it on a small tv set). Maybe, I would be able to finish it. However, I still feel that Maynila sa Kuko is far better movie.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Feb 08, 2003 at 01:41 AM »
I like Maynila sa Kuko better myself.  But Manila by Night is a tremendous film, it can't just be dismissed out of hand...

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Feb 08, 2003 at 08:12 AM »
I've gotten several recommendations for Kung Mahawi Man Ang Ulap. I've been waiting for it to be shown on TV. Anyone can comment on this film?

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Feb 08, 2003 at 09:00 AM »
I like Maynila sa Kuko better myself.  But Manila by Night is a tremendous film, it can't just be dismissed out of hand...

I'm with you there. I just saw Maynila again a couple of days ago ... it's still  gritty and touching and so real.

And the characters talk like normal people unlike in new movies now ... littered with the annoying "ok ka lang?"

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Feb 08, 2003 at 10:17 AM »
Sorry, I wouldn't know, I just write for the rag, and I've only been paid for one article.

Don Jaime was there, didn't seem to want to greet me, whatever.  Jaza was there, at least he was nice enough to say hi.

I was outside the line myself.  I waited for a long time, and when they let the elite in they let the rest of us in.  I sat at the aisles.  

Yeah, it could have been better organized, and if they want to publicize the durn thing, they should have arranged for at least one public screening.

But you know what?  It isn't worth the fuss.  This is the fourth time I've sat through the entire film (the most complete print was back in the MIFF premiere screening, I saw at least two scenes cut in this one), and the film gets poorer and poorer with every viewing.

Next month is Temptation Island.  Now THAT I'd like to see with an audience, on the big screen (prolly going to be video projection, but what the hey)...

Noel, I thought you are a resident writer on Flip Magazine. Anyway, I read your reviews on The last Temptation of Christ. Inspite of all the controversies surrounded by that movie, for me it's Martin Scorsese's personal and best film to date.  8)

With oro's viewing which gets poorer and poorer with every screening, I think film restoration is badly needed for that and other Filipino film classics.
What two scenes were cut during its screening anniversary?

Was ITIM finally restored when it was shown theatrically for the first time at the Pelikula at Lipunan Film Festival?

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Feb 08, 2003 at 10:59 AM »
I've gotten several recommendations for Kung Mahawi Man Ang Ulap. I've been waiting for it to be shown on TV. Anyone can comment on this film?
i remember watching this one.  is this the hilda koronel starrer?
how can anyone love a pebble in their shoe?

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Feb 08, 2003 at 11:24 AM »
i remember watching this one.  is this the hilda koronel starrer?

Yes ... it was from comics, i don't know which one.

But the classic film I am dying to see ... and I hope there's one good copy left (I refuse to believe Noel). is Tubog sa Ginto. Haven't seen it but heard a lot about how good it is. Probably one of Lino Brocka's best.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Feb 09, 2003 at 02:43 AM »
The negative of Tubog sa Ginto is gone.  SOFIA (Society of Film Archivists) showed one of the reels as an exhibit of what a damaged neg looked like...it was a twisted, half-melted lump of plastic.

There could be a betamax copy somewhere, I don't know...but they better transfer it to VHS or VCD before the tape starts getting moldy.  Or maybe a 16 mm print or god willing, a 35 mm print in someone's basement...

I hear you get to appreciate the size of Mario O'Hara (for a brief flash of a moment) in that one.  Hear he's huge...  ;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Feb 09, 2003 at 03:15 AM »
I hear you get to appreciate the size of Mario O'Hara (for a brief flash of a moment) in that one.  Hear he's huge...  ;D

Stop teasing me .. I'm more interested to see a young Eddie Garcia in a shower scene with another man ! Saw some still photos and it looked really HOT !  :D

8)
k

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Feb 09, 2003 at 03:57 AM »
Eddie wasn't that young; he was the middle aged rich man mixed up with a young ingenue (Mario O)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Feb 09, 2003 at 04:24 AM »
Eddie wasn't that young; he was the middle aged rich man mixed up with a young ingenue (Mario O)

Middle aged Eddie Garcia (35-40s ?) from 1971-72 I think was sexy !

8)
k

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Feb 09, 2003 at 10:52 AM »
The negative of Tubog sa Ginto is gone.  SOFIA (Society of Film Archivists) showed one of the reels as an exhibit of what a damaged neg looked like...it was a twisted, half-melted lump of plastic.

There could be a betamax copy somewhere, I don't know...but they better transfer it to VHS or VCD before the tape starts getting moldy.  Or maybe a 16 mm print or god willing, a 35 mm print in someone's basement...

Does the CCP  have a copy (either in betamax or vhs)?  Brocka donated copies of his films to the CCP.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2003 at 10:57 AM by rmn »

Offline justine

• DVD Addict
  • Stay open, who knows, lightning would strike
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Feb 09, 2003 at 01:17 PM »

my fave tagalog movie of all time is Forever with Aga and Mikee, the best  ;D

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Feb 10, 2003 at 12:46 AM »

Stop teasing me .. I'm more interested to see a young Eddie Garcia in a shower scene with another man ! Saw some still photos and it looked really HOT !  :D

8)
k

Did you see the ones from Tobias' book 100 Acclaimed Tagalog Movies? I can scan it and post it somewhere if anyone wants to see it.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Feb 10, 2003 at 01:00 AM »
The people in CCP and SOFIA talk to each other.  Tubog is gone, unless someone volunteers a copy.  All up to them.  Or you...

Forever I never saw.  Really better than Maynila sa Kuko...?

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Feb 11, 2003 at 03:36 AM »

Did you see the ones from Tobias' book 100 Acclaimed Tagalog Movies? I can scan it and post it somewhere if anyone wants to see it.

Please do so ...  ;D ;D ;D

k

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #170 on: Feb 11, 2003 at 09:32 PM »
The people in CCP and SOFIA talk to each other.  Tubog is gone, unless someone volunteers a copy.  All up to them.  Or you...

Forever I never saw.  Really better than Maynila sa Kuko...?

If memory serves me right, i saw Tubog sa Ginto being shown in one of the cable channels a couple of years ago. I just can't remember which one it is.

A question though, anyone here saw Minsan isang Pangarap?  Who directed that movie? And is it any good?

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Feb 12, 2003 at 12:11 AM »

Please do so ...  ;D ;D ;D

k

Here's the url for the two Tubog sa Ginto movie stills. I posted it at an AOL hometown webpage so it will probably say 'url not available'. Just hit 'go' or 'enter' once or twice and it will show.

http://hometown.aol.com/pinoymovies/tubog.html

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Fatima Buen Story
« Reply #172 on: Feb 16, 2003 at 02:36 PM »
Just saw it on cable awhile ago. I never get to see Mario O' Hara films often but this would be one of my faves. I love most of the scenes staged, especially the gang-rape scene of Janice De Belen and the one with Kris and Zoren being surrounded by floating cotton.

Was that Amay Bisaya playing one of the ominous creatures?  ;D

Great ensemble cast! Was surprised to see Leni Santos too.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 02:12 AM »
Loved Fatima Buen's direction--it's a dark, complex view of life done in a gothic style, with terrific ensemble performances from Janice, Gina Pareno, John Regala, even Zoren Legaspi (is tha this name?).  My problem is Kris--but she's okay, even pretty good if you don't dislike her style of acting too much.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Filipino films
« Reply #174 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 06:17 AM »
Yes, Zoren Legaspi. O' Hara used his pretty boy image to suit the character. He was able to tame Kris but she still gets to rear her annoying personality in some scenes. Lamangan was able to do it successfully in Mano Po. Even her own mom couldn't recognize her, 'di raw sya gano'n sa totoong buhay. O ha?  ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 01:46 PM »
I don't think Lamangan managed it either in Mano Po.  Well, that film was so terribly written anyway I didn't like anyone there...

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 02:24 PM »
I just bought and watched "babae sa bubungang lata"... and there was this place in the movie where old film workers live,  although in miserable conditions.My question is, is there really a place like this?

My brother told me that  he saw (along with a friend) this comedian in a place in manila, and his friend commented that some of our forgotten actors/actresses live in a place near where they were.

/2F8H

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Feb 21, 2003 at 12:54 AM »
Anita Linda's character in Bubungang Lata is based on Moody Diaz.  She spent her last years living in her mausoleoum.  

Many of the stories in the film are from real life.  The Canadian film festival Chaning Carlos' character went to is the Toronto Film Festival.  For a while there it looked as if they were promoting Filipino films as the new gay erotica.  

This is why Toronto passed the film over but Vancouver snapped it up.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Filipino films
« Reply #178 on: Feb 21, 2003 at 06:50 AM »
It's an injustice that Darlymple got more awards than Anita Linda that year.

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Feb 21, 2003 at 09:18 AM »
"I just bought and watched "babae sa bubungang lata"...

where'd you get it? what format? how much?  :)