Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 495540 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #3180 on: Sep 19, 2022 at 10:50 PM »

Thoughts on Lav Diaz's latest, his Venice Film Festival entry Kung Wala Nang Mga Alon

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3181 on: Dec 04, 2022 at 02:30 PM »

Yesterday was Sight and Sound's 2022 Greatest Films Ever Made list.

My turn.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #3182 on: Dec 22, 2022 at 10:56 AM »
Nunal sa Tubig (A Speck in the Water) (Ishmael Bernal) ***1/2 - In a small fishing village by a lake, a ferry boatman has two separate love affairs with two different women. When one of them gets pregnant, it leads to tragic consequences. This is a classic of Filipino cinema from one of our great auteurs. I'm glad I had the chance to finally see it and I can see why it's considered a classic. Despite the potentially melodramatic plot, the film goes for a more immersive experience, allowing you to get to know the people and the setting and milieu rather than go for the obvious love triangle plot beats. The resulting film is more resonant, more impactful and even more erotic. A true work of a master filmmaker.

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1237
« Reply #3183 on: Feb 04, 2023 at 09:30 AM »
Leonor Will Never Die Blu-ray

Music Box Films is preparing a Blu-ray release of Martika Ramirez Escobar's Leonor Will Never Die (2022), starring Sheila Francisco, Bong Cabrera, and Rocky Salumbides. The release is scheduled to arrive on the market on March 14, 2023.

Label description:
Leonor Reyes was once a groundbreaking figure in the Filipino film industry during its ragtag action cinema glory days, but now she struggles with old age, mounting bills, and the untimely death of her son. While revisiting an unfinished script about a fearless protagonist trying to avenge his brother's murder, Leonor is struck on the head by a falling television set and knocked into a coma. As she lies unconscious in the hospital, fantasy and reality begin to blur when Leonor finds herself awake inside her script, becoming the hero of her own story. An innovative blend of pulpy action homages, playful comedy, and touching family drama, Leonor Will Never Die is a wonderfully imaginative tribute to the art of filmmaking.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=32086

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3184 on: Feb 13, 2023 at 12:10 AM »
Tag-Ulan sa Tag-Araw (Celso Ad. Castillo) *** - A young man moves to his uncle's house in the city to go to college, only to fall in love with his first cousin. This is considered by some to be a seminal classic of Filipino cinema. I can see why. It stars Vilma Santos and Christopher de Leon both giving superb performances as the kissing cousins. They are supported by Eddie Garcia who's as usual excellent as their father and uncle respectively. It's also tasteful and non-judgmental of its delicate subject matter. But unfortunately, it does go into soapy melodramatic territory with one too many musical montages too many and a finale that borders on parody. It mars an otherwise excellent albeit a bit uncomfortable romantic drama film.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3185 on: Feb 16, 2023 at 07:40 AM »
This is getting positive international reviews, premiering at the 2023 Sundance Film Festival and already acquired in advance by Amazon Prime Video for streaming later in 2023.

IN MY MOTHER’S SKIN
Written and Directed by Kenneth Dagatan
Starring Beauty Gonzalez, Felicity Kyle Napuli, James Mavie Estrella, Angeli Bayani, Ronnie Lazaro, Arnold Reyes, Noel Sto. Domingo and Jasmine Curtis-Smith

SYNOPSIS:

Philippines, 1945. Nearing the end of World War II, an affluent family lives stranded in their country mansion, tormented by the occupying Japanese soldiers who are losing grip over the island nation. Rumors spread that the patriarch, Aldo, stole Japanese gold and stashed it somewhere nearby. Aldo knows that his family will be slaughtered if they find the riches, so he escapes to seek help from the Americans. Soon they fear he will never return while sickness overtakes the mother. Searching for help, their young daughter, Tala, mistakenly places her trust in a beguiling, flesh-eating fairy, who desires to consume them all.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3186 on: Feb 19, 2023 at 12:03 AM »
Ten Little Mistresses (Jun Robles Lana) ***1/2 - A womanizing billionaire who was recently widowed gathers his ten mistresses into his mansion to tell them who will be his "legal wife". Then murder happens. This is such a fun film. It is a Filipino take on the classic whodunit done in an outrageous, almost over-the-top way that only writer-director Jun Robles Lana could pull off. He assembles an all-star ensemble who delightfully chews the scenery with their outrageous costumes and one zinger after another. Yet it somehow manages to engage you in the mystery and surprise you with the twists and turns the narrative takes. It's a bit too long but otherwise this is a funny mystery comedy that would make Agatha Christie proud.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3187 on: Mar 16, 2023 at 12:32 PM »

Rico Ilarde's action horror Beneath the Cogon now on Amazon. Thoughts on the film and other Filipino horrors.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3188 on: Mar 20, 2023 at 02:10 PM »
“Leonor Will Never Die” is now streaming on Netflix.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3189 on: Mar 21, 2023 at 02:56 PM »

Violator is streaming on Amazon.

Thoughts on the film.

Offline Disharmony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3190 on: Mar 22, 2023 at 09:30 PM »
^ Which Amazon? PH or US?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3191 on: Mar 23, 2023 at 01:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure both. I can see it, so yes to US.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3192 on: Mar 24, 2023 at 04:04 PM »

Martika Ramirez Escobar's feature does many of the things Everything Everywhere All at Once does but at a fraction of the budget -- now streaming on Amazon

Thoughts on the film

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3193 on: Apr 06, 2023 at 12:31 PM »
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2023 at 01:11 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3194 on: Apr 09, 2023 at 12:16 AM »
Summer MMFF:

Apag (Feast) (Brillante Mendoza) **1/2 - A young man accidentally crashes into a tricycle, resulting in the death of another man. His father who was in the truck with him takes the fall. This is from director Brillante Mendoza who hasn't made a great one in a while and that continues to this day. There are lots of directions he could've gone with this: a tale of forgiveness and a celebration of our common humanity, a commentary on the justice system and an eat-the-rich revenge tale and Mendoza pretty much did all of them and not in a particularly satisfying way. It is too bad because he reunites with a lot of his staple actors here (including Coco Martin and Jacqueline Jose) and there are flashes of What Could Have Been. But this film falls short.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3195 on: Apr 10, 2023 at 11:15 AM »
Burlesk Queen (Celso Ad Castillo) *** - A young woman decides to become a burlesque dancer in order to support her crippled father (who actually disapproves) and then proceeds to become a sensation. I've heard about this controversial Filipino film for a long time. But it's actually a lot tamer than what you'd expect. Though it is quite racy, there's actually no nudity or anything graphic. It is actually more of what you would expect in a typical Filipino melodrama but interspersed with sexy dance numbers. The social commentary subplot involving moralistic politicians feels a bit too shoe-horned in. Vilma Santos is of course excellent. The famous climactic dance scene is quite iconic. But overall, it's a very good but flawed piece of work.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3196 on: Apr 11, 2023 at 09:01 AM »
National Artist Kidlat Tahimik finally finishes film after 45 years

Revolutionary filmmaker Kidlat Tahimik outdid himself once again by finally completing a 45-year-old work of art.

He started shooting half of the film in 1978 using a 60-mm acetate film, which accumulated in large amounts at that time, and went on to shoot the remaining parts over time in various formats. From acetate, the movie went on to employ the video format until technology brought filmmaking into the digital age.

Titled "Balikbayan #1: Memories of Overdevelopment Redux VII," the revered filmmaker, along with his bamboo cinema, presents an aural and video tapestry of his alternative post-colonialist version of Ferdinand Magellan's expedition that led to the first recorded circumnavigation of the Earth.

Inspired by Antonio Pigafetta's journals, "Balikbayan #1" follows the exploits of Magellan's slave, Enrique de Malacca, as he sails with the Portuguese sailor and eventually completes a roundabout journey from his point of origin in Spain to the island of Mactan in Cebu.

Redux I of "Balikbayan #1" premiered in 2015. Redux VII contains scenes from the global COVID-19 pandemic as well as recent photography that was used in the last frames of the film. The latter is said to screen this year at an international film festival.

After his 1977 obra "Perfumed Nightmare," his opus "Balikbayan #1" will go down the annals of film history as the film that took almost half a century to complete!

The over two-hour drama stars Mitos Benitez, Jeff Cohen, Kabunyan de Guia, Katrin de Guia, Kawayan de Guia, Marita Manzanillo, Danny Orquico, Craig Scharlin, George Steinberg, Wig Tysmans and Marlies von Brevern.

https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/arts-and-culture/2023/04/10/2257628/national-artist-kidlat-tahimik-finally-finishes-film-after-45-years

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3197 on: Apr 16, 2023 at 12:01 AM »
Summer MMFF # 2:

About Us But Not About Us (Jun Robles Lana) ***1/2 - A 40 year old gay college professor meets up with his 20 year old student for lunch. As they converse, long-held secrets are revealed. This film was able to pull off sort of a magic trick. It makes you think it is one thing but it turns out to be whole other thing together (to go into detail would be spoiling so I'll leave my description at that). Despite the fact it is basically a two-hander where it's comprised almost entirely of two people talking, it really takes you for a twisty, dark ride. The two actors, Romnick Sarmenta and Elijah Canlas are both remarkable. If you watch one film from the Summer MMFF, this is the one.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3198 on: May 01, 2023 at 10:41 AM »
Salawahan (Ishmael Bernal) ***1/2 - Two roommates/cousins with differing styles of dating and meeting women (one likes play around, one likes old-fashioned courting) decide to switch styles to spice up their dating life. Filipino auteur Ishmael Bernal may be most known for his serious dramas but he's also a gifted comedy director. This is one of his comedic classics. It is a romantic sex comedy. Yes, it was made in the late 1970's so some of the jokes may be considered inappropriate by some people but one of the things that makes this hold up better than a lot of sex comedies made in the past is the fact the script actually make the women characters actual characters which cuts into the dude-bro humor quite well. It is often quite funny and has surprising emotion, character and depth. Highly recommended.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #3199 on: May 01, 2023 at 10:57 AM »
^^ this was so funny, with a scene-stealing young rene requiestas. And i loved Rita Gomez as the other girlfriend whose age kept changing.
   Side note: i once went to greenbelt to catch a screening of Pagdating sa Dulo but they were still showing a matt ranillo and vilma santos film which kept stopping/ snagging on the projector. I loudly complained we should just stop the film and a guy in front of me stared at me. Turns out, it was matt ranillo himself!  When they tried to run it again, the film burst into flames! A white guy commented we should stop because we’re destroying the film. I agreed and that’s when they finally relented.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3200 on: May 02, 2023 at 01:27 PM »

Thoughts on one of the best films of 2005, Dennis Marasigan's Sa North Diversion Road

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3201 on: May 02, 2023 at 01:28 PM »
Salawahan is great, reminds me of Oscar Wilde

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3202 on: Jun 05, 2023 at 01:03 AM »
Walang KaParis (Nothing Like Paris) (Sigrid Andrea Bernardo) ***1/2 - A Filipino artist living and working in Paris meets a woman who is his "mysterious muse" in his paintings and they start dating. At the surface, this is like one of those romantic dramedies that Filipino cinema used to churn out a lot. But as it turns out, there is plenty of warmth and intelligence here. This is due to an above average script and the performances of the two leads. Empoy Marquez and Alessandra de Rossi have this chemistry that oddly works and that contributes to the appeal of this film. The twists and turns this film takes are surprising and the ending feels like you've just had a warm hug. This is one of the better Filipino rom-coms for recent years.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3203 on: Jun 13, 2023 at 12:52 AM »
Bona (Lino Brocka) ***1/2 - A young woman falls for a two-bit actor who has been working at a film studio near her house. They move into together but he takes advantage of her while pursuing other women. It was Philippine Independence Day and I felt kind of obligated to watch at least one Filipino film for the occasion. I chose this Nora Aunor-Lino Brocka classic. The ending is kind of reminiscent of another Brocka film (which I won't mention so as not to spoil). They would make for an interesting double feature since they both tackle women's relationships with toxic men but of different sorts. Nora Aunor is as usual outstanding. This is definitely one of her best performances. It's not my favorite Brocka but it's still damn good film that is a must-see.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3204 on: Aug 21, 2023 at 12:06 AM »

Third World Romance (Dwein Balthazar) ***1/2 - A young man who works as a bagger at a grocery store meets a young woman whom he gets a job as a cashier in the same store. They begin a romance. This is quite probably the best Filipino romantic comedy since That Thing Called Tadhana. Even though the film pretty much follows the familiar narrative beats of your typical romantic comedy, it does so effectively and efficiently. The realism of the two protagonists' hardships in life play a role in this. It somehow both undercuts any potential eye-rolling sappy-ness and enhances the magic and the comedy of the romance. This is thanks to the great direction, intelligent script and great performance of the two leads, Carlo Aquino and Charlie Dizon who have genuine romantic chemistry. This turned out to be one of my favorite Filipino films of the year.

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2143
« Reply #3205 on: Aug 22, 2023 at 12:33 PM »
^ nasa Netflix ba yan?
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3206 on: Aug 22, 2023 at 01:21 PM »
^ nasa Netflix ba yan?

Not yet. It's currently in theaters.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3207 on: Oct 01, 2023 at 02:45 PM »
Nadine Lustre in Mikhail Red’s Philippines Folklore Horror ‘NOKTURNO’

After the success of horror film “Deleter,” actor Nadine Lustre and filmmaker Mikhail Red have teamed again on genre film “Nokturno.”

“Nokturno” revolves around a curse brought on by Filipino folklore characters known as Kumakatok, who are tall, thin and have long, pale fingers. They wear veils that obscure their faces and come knocking in the dead of the night. Those who answer the door are cursed to die or lose a loved one in three days.

Lustre plays Jamie, an overseas Filipina worker who returns to her isolated home province when rumors of mysterious killings brought about by a primal curse begin to circulate. She must reunite with her estranged mother Lilet, played by Eula Valdez (the lead in Red’s 2018 Rotterdam title “Neomanila”), and face her family’s troubled past in order to survive the curse of the Kumakatok.

The cast also includes Bea Binene, Wilbert Ross, J.J. Quilantang and Ku Aquino with whom Red worked on “Birdshot” (2016) and Netflix’s “Dead Kids” (2019).

“Nokturno” is written by Mikhail Red, his cousin Rae Red, who co-wrote “Birdshot” and “Eerie,” and co-written by Nikolas Red, Mikhail’s brother and editor.

https://variety.com/2023/film/asia/nadine-lustre-mikhail-red-filipino-folklore-horror-nokturno-teaser-1235741093/

TEASER TRAILER

https://youtu.be/pADkg1mAhMA?si=6YJPaL3pNCw7WrwN

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3208 on: Oct 05, 2023 at 12:20 PM »

The further adventures of Lt. Hermes Papauran, in Lav Diaz's Essential Truths of the Lake (2023)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3209 on: Oct 14, 2023 at 12:13 AM »

In My Mother's Skin (Kenneth Dagatan) ***1/2 - It's the tail end of World War II in the Philippines. While her father is away fighting with the Americans, a young girl's mother gets sick and she makes a deal with a flesh-eating fairy to keep her alive. A deal she will soon regret. It is Friday the 13th and it's spooky month. I'd be remiss if I didn't see a horror movie today.  I have to say, it's quite obvious that writer-director Kenneth Dagatan is a fan of Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth since there are visual references of that film here but this is kind of a darker tale (if you can believe it) and some people may not be satisfied by the ending. But this is stil a very well crafted horror film which has some good acting and some decent scares/creepy moments. There's lots to admire here. This is my fifth #13HalloweenFilms entry.